PDA

View Full Version : According to Hubert Davis

zagster318
02-24-2007, 01:58 PM
Gonzaga is an NCAA Tourney team for sure. Really? IMO, they still need to win the conference tourney to gain a bid. The RPI and SOS aren't good enough for an at-large bid, and the Zags won't have an opportunity to improve upon it because of the weak conference schedule. Thoughts?

kylasdad
02-24-2007, 01:59 PM
I heard that too, first time Ive heard that in a while.

former1dog
02-24-2007, 02:00 PM
Kind of a rehash thread. Pretty much the consensus that we do have to win the tourney to get the auto bid or we're NIT bound.

I believe the boys will pull it off, but it ain't going to be easy.

sanfranzagsguy20
02-24-2007, 02:00 PM
wcc tourney win or bust...why risk it? why settle for anything less?

zagster318
02-24-2007, 02:01 PM
Kind of a rehash thread. Pretty much the concensus that we do have to win the tourney to get the auto bid or we're NIT bound.

I believe the boys will pull it off, but it ain't going to be easy.

Being that Hubert is usually a good analyst, it was interesting to see him go against conventional wisdom.

soonerterp
02-24-2007, 02:03 PM
They need to win out what's left of the WCC sked and the WCC Tourney for the automatic bid. I wouldn't leave it to the "kindness" of the Selection Committee.

In MY view, they really do realize what's at stake for them if they do not win out, and they have been BEYOND COURAGEOUS in these games since Heytvelt's suspension.

former1dog
02-24-2007, 02:04 PM
Being that Hubert is usually a good analyst, it was interesting to see him go against conventional wisdom.

Agreed.

TexasZagFan
02-24-2007, 02:32 PM

My attitude about this has flip-flopped over the past two weeks. On the one hand, I won't relax until we win the WCC tourney.

On the other hand, if we lose in the finals of the tournament, I think our "body of work" is sufficient to be selected as an at large team, with and without Josh.

What has the NCAA tournament committee preached for the past decade? OOC, i.e. playing tougher schools anywhere and everywhere, preferably on the road or at a neutral site. Should GU finish at 5-3 in their last 8 games (without Josh), with two of those losses ostensibly from SCU, and an overtime loss to a probable 3-seed (Memphis), the committee would really have to have several excellent reasons for not selecting the Zags for an at-large bid.

Let's not put the committee in that predicament: win the WCC Tournament!

Rubbadub
02-24-2007, 02:36 PM
Weren't we a bubble team WITH Heytvelt in the lineup and before the Santa Clara loss at home? The WCC Tourny championship is an absolute must.

CDC84
02-24-2007, 02:39 PM
The only prayer that GU has of getting an at large bid is they win out and lose a heartbreaker to Santa Clara in the WCC tourney final. And even then it is likely not to happen. If they lose to anyone else, forget it.

The question is...who do you want to play in the semis? USF or SMC? USF should have Surratt back for the WCC tourney.

NVzag
02-24-2007, 02:42 PM
The question is...who do you want to play in the semis? USF or SMC? USF should have Surratt back for the WCC tourney.

I'll take USF, Surratt or no Surratt.

RebornZag
02-24-2007, 02:55 PM
I tend to agree with Davis.. When it comes to Davis vs GUBoard predicted an outcome where Gonzaga is concerned, Davis wins hands down.:D

Thomas_Sutpen
02-24-2007, 03:31 PM
They need to win out what's left of the WCC sked and the WCC Tourney for the automatic bid.

They don't have to "win out" the regular season games. If they lose to USD on Monday, but win the WCC tourney, they still get the auto bid.

There is no scenario that includes losing in the WCC tourney in which GU would be invited to dance.