PDA

View Full Version : WCC title?

Zagme-totheleft!
12-09-2007, 04:23 PM
The Zags have consistently won the WCC tourney, but what about this season? Does St. Marys propose a legitimate threat to the Zags for the crown?

J-Mac Zag Forever
12-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Daaaaa!

El Voce
12-09-2007, 05:12 PM
The Zags have consistently won the WCC tourney, but what about this season? Does St. Marys propose a legitimate threat to the Zags for the crown?

Yes.

pbriz
12-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Yes, the WCC title is up for grabs.

But, I don't think Gonzaga will have to worry TOO much about getting into the tourney like last year. If St. Mary's can keep it going, I think this will be a two-big league regardless of who wins the WCC title.

BobZag
12-09-2007, 05:25 PM

Yes.

Gonzdb8
12-09-2007, 05:39 PM

absolutely. imho, this st. mary's team poses the greatest threat to take the crown from us of any WCC team in recent memory.

KSTATEZAG
12-09-2007, 05:44 PM
Yes..They are tough. I just wish they were more likeable.
Sure Mills and Simpson seem like nice guys but Samhan leaves something more to be desired in terms of quality of character.

RenoZag
12-09-2007, 05:48 PM
Regular Season title & the conference tourney are both up for grabs this year, as they were last year.

Ziggy
12-09-2007, 06:38 PM
With the conference becoming stronger ( as I think it is ) the end wil become less and less certain, and more exciting.Two-team? Three-team conference?
It will just make us stronger!

Doktorkev
12-09-2007, 06:41 PM
I think that just seeing the WCC title being up for grabs is ultimately a good thing for the conference as a whole. Maybe we are not too far from seeing perhaps 3 teams from the WCC getting a realistic shot at a trip to the dance. Then again maybe Im delusional.

Nevtelen
12-09-2007, 08:02 PM
The conference does seem to be on an upswing - lots of great freshmen out there this year to go with the other quality pieces. Even teams that probably won't be in the top half of the league have some young quality players on their rosters.

St Mary's is a legit threat, no question. Pulling out the W at their place is going to be as hard a game as the Zags will play all year, I think. Next year will be insane, too, since I don't think they lose any major players from their roster...

ZagNut08
12-09-2007, 08:44 PM
if st marys can stay competitive, I believe pepperdine could become a major player again in the conference. they are getting some very solid pg/wing players to commit to their program

they need some bigs to comepte at a high level though, imo

jim77
12-09-2007, 08:48 PM
St Marys is the real deal....and may be ranked ahead of us tomorrow. SIU and Texas had better watch out!

94zagoldwomanasherdsmen
12-09-2007, 10:16 PM
I think it's awesome this is even on this board. I wish we had a conference that others could belly-ache about us getting four teams in (a la ACC etc.)

I think the WCC Tournament's going to be a hot ticket and not just because of the Zags and it's good for us and will help shed the "soft conference" label at the end of the regular season.

Zagme-totheleft!
12-10-2007, 03:50 AM
With the conference becoming stronger ( as I think it is ) the end wil become less and less certain, and more exciting.Two-team? Three-team conference?
It will just make us stronger!

Right, so with stronger teams posing a threat to us in the conference tourney, it will only benefit us when Selection Sunday rolls around.

Zagbear
12-10-2007, 04:34 AM
I think it's good to see Saint Mary's doing well, it helps our in conference RPI and getting multiple bids helps with the perception of the conference. I, in all honesty, don't want to see the WCC get too good, however. We'd eventually have to stop playing such insane out of conference shedules and I feel those are the key games to keeping Gonzaga a national player. For instance, a win against a tough Portland team one year could be just as difficult as beating Oklahoma State in a random year. The difference is that the OKState game will likely be on national tv in a good time slot, while the Portland game may make it to Big Monday. We've earned perception and recruiting help from these insane out of conference schedules and I hope we keep doing it.

CDC84
12-10-2007, 06:04 PM
Keep in mind that there's a big difference between winning the WCC tourney and winning the regular season conference championship.

The big question mark I have regarding SMC is the same question mark I have for almost every team that looks like they could challenge Gonzaga: will they be able to beat the WCC teams in February that they are supposed to beat? Will they not drop road games to the WCC bottom feeders.

See Santa Clara last season.

What gets Gonzaga's challengers almost every time is not what they do against the Zags head to head, but rather what they fail to do when facing other WCC teams in the month of February. The reason why Gonzaga has had this run of domination is that their talent has been so superior to the rest of the WCC teams that it allows them to win even if they play badly or win a nail biter. The Gaels, on the surface, seem to have a team with superior talent compared to the rest of the league teams besides GU. Maybe this time around the Gonzaga/SMC head to head matchups will determine the WCC regular season title.....we'll see.

Ziggy
12-10-2007, 06:22 PM
if st marys can stay competitive, I believe pepperdine could become a major player again in the conference. they are getting some very solid pg/wing players to commit to their program

they need some bigs to compete at a high level though, imo

So, ZagNut, know of any Bigs that can run the length of the court, back and forth, at a dead trot for forty minutes? Hook him up with Wahlberg ( if we don't want'em ). Otherwise, Pepp needs a big body( say 6'9" ) with hops. I remember watching Lew Alcindor as a rookie in Milwaukee; he almost walked down the court from offense to defence and was always the last one there.
My point being that a true big is not mobile enough for a run anbd gun unit.

ZagNut08
12-10-2007, 08:47 PM
Ziggy, I agree with you on that one. I think it is a hard sell to get a big to buy into that offense. No big wants to run run run, knowing he is going to be the last option on offense.

That is a reason why I don't think pepperdine will be able to sustain success. They could get hot and upset anyone, but also go cold and lose to anyone...who knows though, time will tell

CDC84
12-10-2007, 11:05 PM
The bigs that tend to work in that Walberg offense are guys like Dorsey and Dozier at Memphis. Extremely athletic and well conditioned thoroughbreds who block shots like mad, love the offensive boards and can finish on the break.

Ezag
12-10-2007, 11:13 PM
No need to worry. When Heytvelt and Gray get back we will have a formidable starting 5 especially in the WCC and surely against SMC.

jpwils
12-11-2007, 09:32 AM
St. Mary's continues to improve and has depth at some positions, such as guard and wings.

I think SCU and San Diego play spoiler roles as could Pepp and USF.

USF with Lowhorn is no pushover,either.

As always , injuries could play a role.