PDA

View Full Version : Unrest in Rivercity

roxdoc
12-09-2007, 08:14 AM
A number of interesting letters in Spokesman Review Sports Section this am concerning ESPNU and also unavailability of tickets. The views expressed here are not necessarily those of this writer. I’m not trying to make a statement, just give Zags outside Spokane a feel for some peoples’ thinking on a topic that we keep nattering on about. I don’t think these are necessarily isolated complainers. Some quotes:

On ESPNU: “Gonzaga basketball, however, is not making us do this "getting along without" thing alone. They're trying out the "how to get along without fans" thing. I wonder how that's going to work out for them”.

another letter

“I live in a retirement center and know a lot of senior citizens leave dinner early or give up bingo and other social events to watch their local teams on TV. Come on TV channels, you cannot beg, borrow or steal a ticket to a Gonzaga game. Help us to be able to watch our local teams. Not all of us go to sports bars”.

On Tickets: “.....Instead, Gonzaga made a deal with the devil, in perpetuity, that would permit only a total of 6,000 students and the same season-ticket holders, to see the team play every home game every year. We listen on the radio and read the newspaper articles, but it might just be a giant hoax. The average Zags fan can't say he has actually seen a Zag”.

another letter

“So, let me understand. We spend all this money, including donations (mine included), building this great place at Gonzaga to watch games. NOT! ………We are the everyday people who have supported the Zags. Now we can't even go to the games. How do we tell the children who truly want to watch a live game that we can't get tickets unless we buy them from a scalper? Is this what Spokane is all about? How sad. Gonzaga, you have lost touch with the people of the community who have been there for you”.

brasszag
12-09-2007, 08:16 AM
Do I get to complain that the Gonzaga doesn't care about me since they never play in Sacramento in the regular season?

MosaicZagFan
12-09-2007, 08:23 AM
I got a chuckle out of those letters this morning. The scarcity of Zag tickets is a good thing. It means the team is doing well and is popular. Would they rather be facing the situation that USF is in? Less than a 1,000 people at their game this weekend?

GoZags
12-09-2007, 08:35 AM
There are 21 regular season games left on the Zags' schedule. Then there is the WCC tourney and hopefully the NCAA tourney.

Only one of the remaining broadcasts (at USF's War Memorial) is off of mainstream t.v. It will be on ESPN U.

Thus, it appears the letter writers will get their wish -- Zag games on t.v. they can watch.
-------------
On a side note -- ESPN360 (which I'd known nothing about) is actually pretty slick. There are all sorts of games on there that normally I'd have missed.

El Voce
12-09-2007, 08:40 AM
Gonzaga made the decision from Day One to fill all the seats with season ticket holders (five year pledge) and students/staff. It was a financially prudent decision to get the Arena built without facing the possibility of a big debt.

Anyone was allowed to buy season tickets, not just a "privileged few." Now, the most expensive tickets -- near the court -- were probably priced out of the range of the average Spokanite. However, the "cheaper" tickets were mostly bought by working folks like me and the other people we sit by. Not the privileged masses, just plain folk. A lot of us have previous ties to GU, but some people I know had no previous tie to the University.

When I tell people now -- four years later -- that we have season tickets, the normal response is, "Wow! How did you do that!" I tell them I simply signed up for them, just as they could have done. It took close to a year or so for all the season tickets in the upper levels to get sold. They were available for the taking by anybody willing to make the pledge.

Zagme-totheleft!
12-09-2007, 08:43 AM
seeing games in person is indeed something special, and in a perfect world we would all be able to just get pay for our ticket (some lucky students would get one for free) and enjoy our beloved Zags...in a perfect world. You cant please all the people all the time.

Ezag
12-09-2007, 09:05 AM
seeing games in person is indeed something special, and in a perfect world we would all be able to just get pay for our ticket (some lucky students would get one for free) and enjoy our beloved Zags...in a perfect world. You cant please all the people all the time.

While I personally agree with all of you, if you talk to almost any Spokane Zag fan with no ties to Gonzaga University they would all disagree with your statements and echo the sentiments of the letters above.

BobZag
12-09-2007, 09:12 AM
Again, Gonzaga has no say about TV. The WCC voted in an ESPN deal that is resulting in this ESPNU stuff. GU voted against this ESPN/WCC deal, but it is an eight-team conference, not a one- or two-team league. There is nothing Gonzaga can do. Too many people don't understand this.

There will be tickets available to the General Public for the Dec. 17th and New Year's Eve games. Just pay attention to gozags.com for when to call 323-6000 when the "alerts" appear.

Finally, if the arena seated, say, 12,000, there would still be people writing and griping, unable to get seats. You simply cannot and will not please all the people all the time. It's impossible. Imagine how many fans in Raleigh-Durham would love to attend Duke's games, but that 9300-seat Cameron Indoor Stadium just isn't big enough.

Bocco
12-09-2007, 09:15 AM
When I tell people now -- four years later -- that we have season tickets, the normal response is, "Wow! How did you do that!" I tell them I simply signed up for them, just as they could have done. It took close to a year or so for all the season tickets in the upper levels to get sold. They were available for the taking by anybody willing to make the pledge.

Well said EV.......
...and prior to '98 these "rabid" complaining fans could have walked into the Martin Centre on game day and purchased tickets. Where were they then? When the MAC was built everyone who wanted had an opportunity to buy tickets, Where were they then?

The Zag fans I feel for are the ones who have graduated from GU and stayed in Spokane. Four years at GU able to see games, and once they graduate good luck getting in the doors.

tyra
12-09-2007, 09:22 AM
GU basketball is more available on TV than virtually any other program in the country. (Yes, even if a very few games require journeying to the local sports bar for ESPNU). This is a blessing, people! A blessing. One of the reasons the program has such an incredible following (feeding the demand for limited in-person seats) is because it is so accessible via TV. There are ample programs where fans also have very limited opportunity to see them live and yet NEVER (or hardly ever) get to watch them on TV. Some people just don't know how good they've got it.

brasszag
12-09-2007, 09:30 AM
While I personally agree with all of you, if you talk to almost any Spokane Zag fan with no ties to Gonzaga University they would all disagree with your statements and echo the sentiments of the letters above.

Did these fans offer to pony up the money for a pooled donation to GU, to have made K2 larger?

Gonezagaga
12-09-2007, 09:31 AM
I have the same story as El Voce when it comes to season tickets. I bought mine about 9 months after they went on sale. I do feel bad that not everyone will get to see the zags in the kennel, but everyone did have a chance to buy season tickets.

GoZags
12-09-2007, 09:32 AM
Also -- I've heard that there is a new invention that allows folks to follow GU Hoops live -- i.e. while it is occurring.

I'm not sure exactly how to describe it -- but it allows you to listen to the games. I think I heard they were going to call this device a ..... radio.

Thus far this season I've followed several Zag games, sitting in my car -- in Seattle listening to 1510.

MDABE80
12-09-2007, 09:33 AM
I think GU.......forget that everyone had a chance to spend lots of money on seats years ago.....would be smart to pay attention to those letters. It doesn't matter that the program is wildly successful...........what matters is that some people think enough about NOT being able to get close to the Zags that they write letters that aren't making things look so good /fair on Boone.

It's the good will we seek from our own community. Do we have it? yes! DO we have some people who are disenfranchised from this program? Seems so. Smart people should be paying attention to this. This type of advertised "non caring" doesn't seem like a big deal now but it can rise to major proportions. You see, it wasn't a simple note to the Administration. These guys were given a forum in the paper! People still read it......lots of people. Where's the letters of support for the program or the University? Again......where are they? See the imbalance? See the potential harm? I do. There is a public University in Pullman just dieing to make inroads in Spokane. Look across the river from GU. See Riverpoint? Big time acreage being built out by WSU. We have a different message so we do what we do at GU.

A University perceived to be "up on a hill" with privileged people isn't what we want. Old folks in a retirement center, blue collars who can't afford to fund family tickets, kids who just want a peek but can't afford it, young ones, old ones, not wealthy ones. etc. Those extra seats look a bit more desireable now. GU made it's bones on some on the population who wrote those letters. Some accomodation needs to be made so the University doesn't separate itself from the community. We need good will with the type of people who wrote those notes. How we restore it is a headscratcher. Must be done though.

brasszag
12-09-2007, 09:49 AM
Where does the money come from to do any of this though?

People didn't want to plunk down the money for the tickets - but still feel entitled to go to the games?

Believe me I feel for folks who want to see games. I'm a GU grad - I was in the Bulldog band (as a Freshman) that made the trip to Salt Lake to play Maryland, so I'm a fairly long time team supporter - and it's likely I'll never be in a position to attend a game at K2.

Until someone magically makes it easy for me to see a game in person at K2, I'll hold back my tears for those who have far easier access to the facility simply by living in the Spokane-area.

Where was the pressure to make K2 a 8000 seat court rather than 6000 when it was being built, with the money to back it up?

These letter-writers want professional-team access for a College team.

gamagin
12-09-2007, 09:50 AM
see this for a possible solution. a starter anyway . . .

http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=121564#post121564

bayzag09
12-09-2007, 09:52 AM
Money sucks

VaBeachZAG
12-09-2007, 10:10 AM
Thanks roxdox for starting this thread - the lack of access to GU games should be a real concern to the school administration for the reasons mentioned in ABE's post. Also, thank you Abe for touching on this subject in a thoughtful manner - more than can be said for the posts that preceded you.
The only solutions I can think of are: stadium expansion (we all know this isn't going to happen), once the season ticket commitment ends designate a fair number of general admission seats, and lastly, how about free internet radio for those living outside the local area. If nothing else, these last two options would at least convey some degree of sympathy by the school administration for the fan base.

brasszag
12-09-2007, 10:16 AM
Money sucks

"Money implies poverty" - Iain Banks

GoZags
12-09-2007, 10:20 AM
There was a tad bit of insensitivity in my post re: the radio (which I've utilized to follow the Zags for nearly 35 years).

That being said, Gonzaga spent money advertising that ticket packages were available. In this thread we've seen evidence that tickets were available 9 months into the process.

I like some of the suggestions.

The SRO seats make a ton of sense. Free internet radio? I'm all for it. Although "Bulldog Club" priority for seats that become available makes a lot of sense (i.e. when the kids are on break, etc) perhaps these could be made available to the public..... GU would just need to beef up staff to sell the tickets.

Also -- thank you El Voce for initially touching on the fact that virtually anyone in the community could have bought season tickets to Gonzaga Basketball.

ZaggyStardust
12-09-2007, 10:31 AM
Not to pour salt into the wound or anything, but did anyone notice how many Kennel Club seats were empty last night? I sure did!

rdulay8
12-09-2007, 11:11 AM
Not to pour salt into the wound or anything, but did anyone notice how many Kennel Club seats were empty last night? I sure did!

many of us were studying for finals. some left at halftime because it was already a blowout.

strikezag
12-09-2007, 11:21 AM
As BZ said, there will always be people that are not satisfied with their ability to personally follow the teams of their passion. I live in Seattle and I hear the same complaints about going to Seahawk games in a 60,000 seat facility. There is a waiting list to get season tickets, and the cost is prohibitive to many in the community.

Having said that, public perception in Spokane is important. Those informed responses that articulate the pragmatic reasons for the size of K2 should be publicized to a broader audience than just this board. In other words, a couple of responsive letters to the Spokesman Review Sports Section explaining the rationale for the size of K2 would seem like a good idea. One could pretty much do a "cut-and-paste" job from some of these threads.

ExtremeJim
12-09-2007, 11:44 AM
In this thread we've seen evidence that tickets were available 9 months into the process.

I read that. However, it is my very distinct recollection that it was posted on the predecessor board to this one that all season tickets from the highest price to the lowest were fully subscribed just three weeks after they went on sale to the general public. Possibly what was posted there was inaccurate, in which case it would not have been the first time.

Then again, it might have been 9 months from the time the first corporate booster, Bulldog Club member, or prior season-ticket holder got to select, a long period while people with status ahead of "the general public" were picking their packages.

I don't think El Voce will deny that all the seats in reasonably desireable locations were sold long before he got his, because I've had the opportunity to sit next to him, and he's closer to Catherine-Monica than to the sideline of the court.

I listen to at least half of the games on KGA, and I've listened in Elko and Mesquite, Nevada, Tucson, Arizona, and anywhere in the northern half of California, even up into Oregon as far as Medford.

jim77
12-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Ever go to a big place and watch a pay per view fight??? I've been to a few of those and had a good time doing it. Perhaps theres a place in Spokane that seats a bunch that sells beer with a big jumbotron. They could charge say 5 bucks a head and the school could also get their cut. It could be like watching Imax basketball....with great food and great beer! They could do it for most games..away ones too.

Birddog
12-09-2007, 12:00 PM
Free internet radio?
I can't imagine that GU's cut from CSTV's Internet Radio coverage is much to celebrate. They would be far better off dumping that deal and just letting folks tap into "The Big Talker's" coverage for free. The goodwill would be worth it. It's not that big of a deal to me because they went with the KHQ/Fox deal and I have satellite. I get nearly all the games on TV. I do remember well those days before the TV deal though, and the predecessor's internet links were terrible, cutting in and out etc. It would have been tolerable if it had been free, but I was paying $6 a month or so for terrible service.

I love the idea of SRO, and awhile ago Gamagin also mentioned the idea that I and others have had about opening K1 equipped with a big screen for those really HUGE games. It wouldn't be live, but it might be pretty wild and they sell some concessions too.

Birddog

roxdoc
12-09-2007, 12:24 PM
I think MDAbe once again hit it right on the head. This is not about who was alert enough to get there first, or who had the money to buy their way in. That is a fair argument. But, you could probably fill the Rose Bowl with the people in the Spokane area who would like to see the Zags once. These are the people who are not necessairly alums, but who are just as fanatic about the Zags. They put up "Go Zags" signs in their homes offices and shops when the dance starts, the talk about Zags in the elevators and skywalks or over coffee with their buddy. They are quite avid fans and as a consequence they support GU in many non-sports ways. We shouldn't take these folks for granted or say "too bad, you can't please everyone".

I don't know the answer. Maybe as VaBeach said when the season ticket people re-up you hold several hundred seats back and have a lottery for who in the general public gets to buy them - on a game by game basis.:confused:

Gonezagaga
12-09-2007, 01:14 PM
ExtremeJim that was inaccurate. I waited 9 months after learning that the tickets were on sale before I finally pulled the trigger and actually bought them. It was then at least another year before we were able to start the seat selection process.

I had been a fan before k2 was built and had gone to many games in the original kennel, but at that time I was not a Gonzaga University donor or Bulldug club member. Therefore I received no preferential treatment in the process.

El Voce
12-09-2007, 01:14 PM
I read that. However, it is my very distinct recollection that it was posted on the predecessor board to this one that all season tickets from the highest price to the lowest were fully subscribed just three weeks after they went on sale to the general public. Possibly what was posted there was inaccurate, in which case it would not have been the first time.

Then again, it might have been 9 months from the time the first corporate booster, Bulldog Club member, or prior season-ticket holder got to select, a long period while people with status ahead of "the general public" were picking their packages.

I don't think El Voce will deny that all the seats in reasonably desireable locations were sold long before he got his, because I've had the opportunity to sit next to him, and he's closer to Catherine-Monica than to the sideline of the court.

I listen to at least half of the games on KGA, and I've listened in Elko and Mesquite, Nevada, Tucson, Arizona, and anywhere in the northern half of California, even up into Oregon as far as Medford.

Nope, Jim. Sorry. To the best of knowledge/memory, you are wrong on all counts. I sit up where I do -- and I happen to like those seats, btw -- because I was late to the party. By the time I decided to buy, the other levels were unavailable, but everyone had a chance at them earlier, including me.

There were brochures available for months allowing people to purchase tickets in any price level. I know -- at that time, I would fit your definition of "general public." As would anyone else who read one of the many ads for tickets. If I had wished to plunk a thousand bucks per seat, I had that chance, as did anyone else.

That includes hundreds of people who now wish they had, and are resentful of those who did. At the time, only Pendo and Heytvelt were known quantities of what the future held. Had the program fallen on hard time, we wouldn't be having this conversation, but the program has grown in four years.

You may be mistaking seating within a price level. That is decided by contributions to GU, which is why my seats (the location of which you denigrate) are better than those behind me or to the left of mine.

TuckC
12-09-2007, 01:40 PM
I would like the seating to be in the 7 to 8 thousand range. Not so more people can see the game necessarily, but rather to have the team get more respect and maybe more ESPN appearances rather than ESPNU ones. Also so it could get more crazy, make the student section bigger, most of the Kennel Club season ticket-holders sit on their hands.

SunDevilGolfZag
12-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Bobzag, these tickets you are talking about being available to the general public -- do Bulldog Club Members get first crack? If not, that's great. If so, really what's the point for the general public?

TuckC
12-09-2007, 01:46 PM
I can't recall, but they definitely will be available for non kennel members (pretty empty last year against Idaho) but do not rest and jump on them as soon as possible.

Zagpower
12-09-2007, 04:20 PM
I'd like to back up what El Voce said. I have no ties to Gonzaga at all and waited months before deciding to purchase inexpensive season tickets. For the people that think that just the rich can afford tickets or you had to know someone, I am proof that is not the case. My seats work out to about $350 per seat per season and it is an absolute bargain for the amount of entertainment provided. That's far less than a lot of people spend on golf, lattes, or smokes.

HillBillyZag
12-09-2007, 04:25 PM
MD80 is right on the money as usual. As I have suggested in several other threads, why could the University not install their own Dish or DTV syestem in their McMarthey Center and charge a nominal fee to view certain away games. Have the Dance Team and the Pep band on hand, when they don't make a particular trip, open the concessions,raffle off some Zags gear, and I believe you would draw several thousand fans, create a lot of good will,pay the light bill and actually make a few bucks for a
designated local Charity.

SunDevilGolfZag
12-09-2007, 04:36 PM
When GU re-ups its season ticket contracts, it could designate one Kennel home game annually ( a decent non-conference game like a Northridge for example) for the public (without impacting student Kennel Club) and tell the season ticket buyers that is what will occur, take it or leave it. Then, a certain high percentage of the public tickets could be face-valued for youth only. That would give some of the young people in our community a chance to see a real game in the Kennel-- an obvious thrill for thousands of them, for sure. The season ticket holders would get 11 games instead of 12 (or whatever the number) but at least they would know it. If they don't like it, they could eat "whine" and cheese elsewhere and the arena would still be full. The buyers could all pick up their tix at will call on game day so none would go on certain Internet auction sites. Sounds like pretty idealistic PR, I know, but what the heck?

Zagdawg
12-09-2007, 05:46 PM
I can only imagine what the parking would be like with 2000 extra seats -- as challenging as it is already. But it would give those folks something to complain about instead of the challenge it is to get a seat at the games currently.

Why would you suggest they bump the people who are paying for the arena and not the students who get their tickets for free?--

They could have a game at the Spokane arena and allow the people who want to support the Zags see a game there (like a Georgia game for instance)-- or even a womens game at the Macarthy athletic center that has lots of seats available.
The free blue and white scimmage is another option for the fans to see an exhibition-- but once again this year it was not full.

ZagNut08
12-09-2007, 08:32 PM
yea, bump the students, they dont pay anything for their tickets

mgadfly
12-09-2007, 09:09 PM
I think some people are missing the point that these complainers are making.

First, some of those quotes were from people who CAN'T go to a game regardless of availability. They'd like to SEE it. GU may not be able to do anything about the ESPN deal (and I'm not sure they'd want to because we get so much exposure from it) but the school might be wise to try to get their message out to the public (that it isn't their fault and they are hoping to continue to improve television coverage in all markets including the local market). I'd not advise them to tell a significant portion of their fans, even if more casual than most of the posters here, to buy a radio.

Second, I think GU did make a mistake by selling such a high % of its seats to season ticket holders. Just as they held back tickets for the student section they should have held back tickets for the more casual fans. You know, the ones that buy GU hats, and jerseys, watch them on television, have young children and so can't go to more than a game or two a year, purchase fireplaces from their sponsors, etc...

I can't go to 10 or 12 home games each year. I would love to go to a home game once a year. I'm not going to complain about it and write a letter to the newspaper (and as luck has had it several business trips have coincided with away games, which were nearly as fun). And when the season tickets were sold many GU fans weren't in the position to go purchase a season ticket (either because they were 16, or $350 per season per ticket is a big deal to them, or for the reasons listed above). I don't think it is a wise business plan to completely exclude those more casual fans from the all the fun. They may stop buying merchandise, watching on television (or listening on radio), shopping from sponsors, and caring at all. And I'd rather hear the complaints than have a city full of indifferent ex-fans and 4500 happy season ticket holders who don't have to listen to all the complainers.

Rangerzag
12-10-2007, 04:36 AM
When was the last time any here went to a Notre Dame home football game. I don't think it is diminishing their fan base. The are independent so they are more in charge of their own destiny with broadcast rights, and it shows. Difficulty in finding a ticket to a home game doesn't seem to have hurt their long term popularity.

GoZags22
12-11-2007, 01:50 PM
“So, let me understand. We spend all this money, including donations (mine included), building this great place at Gonzaga to watch games. NOT! ………We are the everyday people who have supported the Zags. Now we can't even go to the games. How do we tell the children who truly want to watch a live game that we can't get tickets unless we buy them from a scalper? Is this what Spokane is all about? How sad. Gonzaga, you have lost touch with the people of the community who have been there for you”.

Why does this person feel he/she is entitled to go to games? Because they are a fan? A Spokanite? This person has "been there for" Gonzaga? When? Obviously not when GU needed people to buy season tickets to help pay for the place. Obviously not before MAC was built, or they woulld've been ticket holders in the Kennel.
This entitlement that people complain about reminds me of a spoiled brat who thinks he should get what he wants...just because he wants it. Well, the real world doesn't work that way. In the real world, you build an arena with 4,200 available seats for sale, and you sell them to the 4,200 people who want them. How is this unfair? Unfortunately, these 4,200 people love GU so much that none of them are cancelling their seats.

Anything Gonzaga did to satisfy these johnny-come-lately, "diehard" (quotes for sarcasm) fans would be a disservice to the current season ticket holders and the students. Additionally, most of the options are cost-prohibitive for an entity that is still scrambling to pay for the MAC.

Stop complaining, join the Bulldog Club (and gain access to individual game tickets), and stop acting like you're owed something.

GoZags22
12-11-2007, 01:52 PM
MD80 is right on the money as usual. As I have suggested in several other threads, why could the University not install their own Dish or DTV syestem in their McMarthey Center and charge a nominal fee to view certain away games. Have the Dance Team and the Pep band on hand, when they don't make a particular trip, open the concessions,raffle off some Zags gear, and I believe you would draw several thousand fans, create a lot of good will,pay the light bill and actually make a few bucks for a
designated local Charity.

GU cannot do this because it does not own the rights to these broadcasts. ESPN would never let someone charge for viewing something that it owns.

GoZags22
12-11-2007, 01:57 PM
I think some people are missing the point that these complainers are making.

First, some of those quotes were from people who CAN'T go to a game regardless of availability. They'd like to SEE it. GU may not be able to do anything about the ESPN deal (and I'm not sure they'd want to because we get so much exposure from it) but the school might be wise to try to get their message out to the public (that it isn't their fault and they are hoping to continue to improve television coverage in all markets including the local market). I'd not advise them to tell a significant portion of their fans, even if more casual than most of the posters here, to buy a radio.

Second, I think GU did make a mistake by selling such a high % of its seats to season ticket holders. Just as they held back tickets for the student section they should have held back tickets for the more casual fans. You know, the ones that buy GU hats, and jerseys, watch them on television, have young children and so can't go to more than a game or two a year, purchase fireplaces from their sponsors, etc...

I can't go to 10 or 12 home games each year. I would love to go to a home game once a year. I'm not going to complain about it and write a letter to the newspaper (and as luck has had it several business trips have coincided with away games, which were nearly as fun). And when the season tickets were sold many GU fans weren't in the position to go purchase a season ticket (either because they were 16, or $350 per season per ticket is a big deal to them, or for the reasons listed above). I don't think it is a wise business plan to completely exclude those more casual fans from the all the fun. They may stop buying merchandise, watching on television (or listening on radio), shopping from sponsors, and caring at all. And I'd rather hear the complaints than have a city full of indifferent ex-fans and 4500 happy season ticket holders who don't have to listen to all the complainers.

You can't hold back seats for "casual fans" and still pay for this beautiful building. Everyone seems to think GU is rolling in dough, but they are still a ways away from even paying for the MAC. GU has to provide the tools and facilities to field winning teams, and you can't do that turning away donations to the Arena Fund from season ticket holders in order to sell tickets to casual fans.
PS Spokane Fireplace is NOT a sponsor of GU! Buying artime on the broadcast makes them a sponsor of Q6 and Citadel, not Gonzaga.

mgadfly
12-12-2007, 06:12 AM
By buying the commercials on the company who purchases the right to broadcast the games they are well um ... maybe an "indirect sponsor?" The companies buying the rights to televise the games aren't doing so out of a feeling of civic responsibility. I didn't mean to imply that there is any official relationship between advertisers on television and Gonzaga.

Second, why can't you hold back seats for the casual fan and still pay for the beautiful building? We held back seats for the students who don't pay a dime (outside of the tuition--which I've recently paid myself). Certainly the model for funding the arena that GU chose isn't the only model for funding an arena that has ever successfully been used.

ZaggyStardust
12-12-2007, 07:34 AM
We held back seats for the students who don't pay a dime (outside of the tuition--which I've recently paid myself).

Again, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but aren't the student seats (at least some of them) sponsored by generous folks? I'm certain that is true because I know someone who told me that in addition to their season tix, they sponsor two student seats. Any clarification would be appreciated.

GoZags22
12-12-2007, 07:40 AM
By buying the commercials on the company who purchases the right to broadcast the games they are well um ... maybe an "indirect sponsor?" The companies buying the rights to televise the games aren't doing so out of a feeling of civic responsibility. I didn't mean to imply that there is any official relationship between advertisers on television and Gonzaga.

Second, why can't you hold back seats for the casual fan and still pay for the beautiful building? We held back seats for the students who don't pay a dime (outside of the tuition--which I've recently paid myself). Certainly the model for funding the arena that GU chose isn't the only model for funding an arena that has ever successfully been used.

I understand your reasoning. Spokane Fireplace is a hot button - they have had their hand slapped for portraying itself as a GU sponsor, when in fact the official sponsors pay top dollar for that title.

Considering the University is still about $5 million short in paying for the Arena, and everyone seems to think they are evil for squeezing every last dollar out of their fans, do you really think they could afford to turn away more money for the Arena?
Additionally, I don't think you can compare the students to the "casual fan" that wants to pay minimum dollar to go to a few games at their leisure. The students don't get in for free because of their tuition, they get in for free because the Athletic Department knows that they are the key to success for the program. And because of that, the Department protects them from everyone who doesn't get that, including the Trustees and Father Spitzer (who both would love to take seats from the Student Section to make more money, but Mike Roth won't let them). I just think everyone underestimates what it takes to keep this program elevated at this level, and you can't give hand-outs to every fairweather fan without paying a price. In this case, the business model proposed would cost GU more money that they can't afford. And although it's nice to have the "everyone gets to play" mentality, it just does not pencil out.

GoZags22
12-12-2007, 07:44 AM
Again, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but aren't the student seats (at least some of them) sponsored by generous folks? I'm certain that is true because I know someone who told me that in addition to their season tix, they sponsor two student seats. Any clarification would be appreciated.

Dusty, you are correct, and that money went towards helping alleviate the lost opportunity cost of giving the students those seats. They were only $1,000, so definitely didn't cover the cost. I think the majority of folks sponsored student seats because it gave them additional "points" and therefore higher priority in the season ticket seat selection process. Nonetheless, every little bit helped!

Zagpower
12-12-2007, 07:52 AM
I just wish more people in Spokane would be concerned with the cost of tuition at GU and not the cost of attending a basketball game.:confused:

HillBillyZag
12-12-2007, 09:21 AM
You are beginning to sound Elitest and as even HBZ matriculated at a Catholic Institution I can tell you its not what they teach. With the abuse scandals still fresh in the news and Catholic bashers having a field day, the University should treasure and appreciate the support and good will it receives from the community of Spokane, especially when the average Spokane workers salary no way can afford the 30K plus per year tuition without going into hock,which most do cheerfuly as our kids are an investment in the future. Like it or not the "blue collar" middle class wage earners in this Country made the catholic schools what they are and now the "middle class" is slowly being eliminated.

zag944
12-12-2007, 10:51 AM
I don't care all that much about the arena seating, and I'm happy that more of our games have been visible to the whole nation.

That said, I absolutely have hated every cable/dish service I've ever been on. the only channels I ever watch are the 4 major networks, HBO, and the available ESPN channels. Its incredibly frustrating that I have to pay much more to get ESPNU when there's 100 channels I dont give a crap about. I wish there was a little more competition in the industry so the few possible providers couldnt screw us all over so much, but no, its comcast or a dish. TV watching needs the equivalent of a "southwest airlines".

Zag1010
12-12-2007, 02:13 PM
Spokane has really embraced the Zags and that has been a key part of their success, but Gonzaga, being a private school, has no obligation to provide opportunities for the "casual fan" to see games. K2 is a formidable venue, but would it have been if they had made it bigger and not sold the seats? The Kennel Club are the "students who don't pay a dime." Would GU basketball be even close to what it is without them?

sullyzag66
12-12-2007, 03:35 PM
I can only imagine what the parking would be like with 2000 extra seats -- as challenging as it is already. But it would give those folks something to complain about instead of the challenge it is to get a seat at the games currently.

Why would you suggest they bump the people who are paying for the arena and not the students who get their tickets for free?--

They could have a game at the Spokane arena and allow the people who want to support the Zags see a game there (like a Georgia game for instance)-- or even a womens game at the Macarthy athletic center that has lots of seats available.
The free blue and white scimmage is another option for the fans to see an exhibition-- but once again this year it was not full.

Right. Bump the students. GU is supposed to be an institution of higher learning. Students should be studying anyway. Are the "Zags" everyone keeps talking about associated with Gonzaga University? :rolleyes: