PDA

View Full Version : The Zags are what they are, folks

BobZag
02-24-2007, 01:19 PM
A doughnut team that cannot live and die by the 3-ball. Sorry, but it just is. Them's the facts.

madness
02-24-2007, 01:44 PM
Bouldin is not living and dying by the 3 today! MVP of the game by far

sanfranzagsguy20
02-24-2007, 01:55 PM
they are what they are today: winners

BobZag
02-24-2007, 02:22 PM
Glad they won. Lots of grittiness. Still, it's a doughnut team. When posting up Matt is the best inside weapon...

Matt played 44 mins: 21 pts, 4 rbs, 4 asts, 0 turnovers. Outstanding.
Raivio played 45 mins: 21 pts, extending WCC/GU FT record with 56 now.
Downs: 16 pts. Well done. Coming along about as hoped for.

Pargo was puking before and after the game. Get well, Jeremy.

Love these guys' heart. A doughnut team, though.

DubZag
02-24-2007, 02:24 PM
I agree Bob. That's not to say that I am not proud of this team, because I am. Nor do I mean to badmouth them by any means, but this rotation might be good enough to win the WCC tourney, but the hole in the middle will cause major problems in the Big Dance.

It was a great effort today... I am proud of the guys.

former1dog
02-24-2007, 02:25 PM
Regardless, Bob, the boys have to play the hand they've been dealt. This is the team they'll roll with and we'll see how it plays out.

Without reference to that final result, we all have a lot to be proud of in this team as Bulldog fans.

zagfever86
02-24-2007, 02:27 PM
Were a team that lacks an interior presence offensively and needs more weapons. Thankfully, that will all be on its way next fall.

TexasZagFan
02-24-2007, 02:37 PM
I agree Bob. That's not to say that I am not proud of this team, because I am. Nor do I mean to badmouth them by any means, but this rotation might be good enough to win the WCC tourney, but the hole in the middle will cause major problems in the Big Dance.

It was a great effort today... I am proud of the guys.

Not that I'm in disagreement with you Dub (this is a donut team). However, the Dance favors teams with strong guard play...I like our chances.

Not to get too syrupy, but as far as donut teams go, the Zags are Krispy Kremes.

Bocco
02-24-2007, 02:39 PM
Right now I'm really starting to like donuts.......

CDC84
02-24-2007, 02:46 PM
However, the Dance favors teams with strong guard play...I like our chances.

But you still need to have a quality big man. Noah and Horford. Sean May. Wilcox and Baxter. Okafor. The list goes on. I know Arizona won the whole deal without one back in the late 90's, but they're a rare exception. And Bibby, Simon and Dickerson are far better than what GU has.

BTW....what I am saying is in no way suggesting that GU can't win the WCC tourney and even win a game in the NCAA's if the matchup is right........

brasszag
02-24-2007, 02:48 PM
Not to get too syrupy, but as far as donut teams go, the Zags are Krispy Kremes.

What?

Nasty, nauseating, and without any substance?

TexasZagFan
02-24-2007, 03:15 PM
What?

Nasty, nauseating, and without any substance?

Millions of donut aficionados would appear to disagree with you.

RebornZag
02-24-2007, 03:21 PM
Goes to Bocco...."Right now I'm really starting to like doughnuts!!!:D :D :D

12-18=44% I wouldn't say that is living and dying by the 3. Now if you were talking about USF...12-28....Now that's a lot of 3's.

However,why wouldn't Matt's low post points count for filling the hole? I think some of you are very prejudiced against little guys (like me). And add Kuso's 9 pts (should have had a couple more but couldn't hold on to the ball). And Downs' 16. Downs has certainly been giving us the points that Josh did. GREAT JOB MICAH. WAY TO COME THROUGH!!!! NO TRASH TALKING BY THIS MEMBER OF THE GU BOARD. NOTHIN BUT KUDOS!!!:D Sorry if his good game disappointed a few of you!

Josh was lucky if he got 4 pts from down low on the low block. Matt alone got about 10 down low. If there was ever a hole in the doughnut it was when Josh played. I agree with Bocco though...I do like doughnuts...I miss Josh's 3 ball a lot because he's so deadly from there. But he was NOT a low post player. Micah is filling in just fine. I think Kuso is getting closer and closer to scoring double figures. Just needs more time.

Rubbadub
02-24-2007, 03:48 PM
Reborn, i always like your optimism and i usually agree with your views. However, you're beating this to death. You'll praise our krispy kreme when they barely beat under .500 wcc competition and you'll praise them when they lose (probably) to a 5 seed in the first round of the ncaa tourny. They are a doughnut and we haven't seen any confirmation that they can beat teams that have a great low post presence. When your argument about us not having a donut of a team is that we arent showing any love for the little guys, you have to realize that you're being unrealistic :o

gamagin
02-24-2007, 04:09 PM
I know I'm swinging in the dark, but believe we have had more drives to the net, more rebounds and more balanced scoring, less frustration and more teamwork, per game, since JH was found with fungi in his backpack instead of between his toes.

So yes, we have no big tree, no giant oak, no Batista, to shore up the middle.

What we do have are a bunch of very talented, athletic flies bouncing off the other elephants' asses and creating enough havoc to neutralize the deficiency and take more than a fare share of boards away from them in the process.

In NBA parlance, I agree this can't go on forever. but this is college. any five can beat any two or three anytime. and that's what we appear to be doing -- beating the other team's best players with 6-7 rotating journeymen.

were firing on 6.5 cylinders (I give Sean a half here) and still managing to outperform our foes. I count memphis here, too, cuz that could have gone either way. we outrebounded them, too, with this lineup.

What this all means to me is "if" we can continue to sharpen what we have, keep everyone healthy and play like there is no tomorrow, we might see the sweet 16.

As i said, I'm swinging in the dark. But who isn't ?

For the first 80 years or so, our fondest wish was to beat Whitman, Cheney Normal or Whitworth more often than not.

Vanzagger
02-24-2007, 04:24 PM
I think Kuso will start scoring double figures too.

I followed most his game at Tallahassee JC. Against the contending teams he would drop 20 plus 10 boards. In less competitive games he might get 8 and 6.

Let's hope this translates to D1. JC is not really condusive to a big man's game anyway.

jaydee77
02-24-2007, 05:22 PM
I was at the game and I thought, at times, Kuso played like a man posessed. Key rebounds and blocks really made the difference today. We are flawed, absolutley. The way this team and coaching staff has responded to all the adversity is unbelievable. How far we go from here is anyones guess. I'll enjoy them one at a time. How bout them Zags?

FuManShoes
02-24-2007, 05:39 PM
"The Zags are what they are, folks"

This makes me think of a famous, famous saying by Coach Evans:

"The Zags are who we thought they were. That is why we took the damn court. If you want to crown them, crown their asses. They are who we thought they were and we let them off the hook."*

* Aplogies to Denny Green for stealing his post-game rant

BobZag
02-24-2007, 05:53 PM
Was that quote by the former Phoenix Cardinals coach (Denny Green) after losing a heartbreaker to the Chicago Bulls? Kind of a paraphrase?

Nobody is dissing anybody, Reborn. Just a basketball observation with no cheerleading rah rah. This team is a doughnut team. So is Butler, but GU is no Butler...yet. It's not a slam. Stop taking things so personally. Yeesh.

thespywhozaggedme
02-24-2007, 06:13 PM
CDC,
You said that Bibby, Simon and Dickerson are FAR better than what we have now? I respectfully disagree, I think Pargo, Bouldin and DRav are almost equal to the aforementioned three. Slight edge to UA but "far better"? No way. When all is said and done Bouldin and Pargo will both be lottery picks, ala Bibby and Dickerson and Derek will float around like Simon did. We tend to underestimate our own players sometimes, like we notice our own personal flaws more than others do.

sittingon50
02-24-2007, 06:51 PM
I have flaws?

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-24-2007, 06:54 PM
A doughnut team that cannot live and die by the 3-ball. Sorry, but it just is. Them's the facts.

:D
A doughnut team....so be it! That's a good omen in my book because my favorite purveyor of doughnuts is Spokane's finest...the Doughnut Parade on Hamilton. They may not be nutritious nor ideal, but donuts make for a fine fine meal when time or circumstances allow for nothing more
:D

RebornZag
02-24-2007, 08:04 PM
Bob, I apologize if I said something offensive....Really, I'm just having such a GOOD time today after the game. I was just kidding about being small, ect ect.....I guess you missed my humor. I understand the doughnut theory. I'll back off FROM any other disagreement.

My favorite comparison anyway is THE LITTLE ENGINE WHO COULDN'T.....
"I think I can. I think I can. I think I can." It's not really a rah, rah, rah cheer. I use it as a mantra and as a visualization. I started doing it in highschool when I played football. I lay on my back for about a half hour before game time and would visualize the whole game, or as much as I could. It worked so well for me in football, that I started using it in basketball too. After going undefeated in both football and basketball and being crowned state champs in both, I have just kept a strong belief in it, and practice it as often as possible. But....on the MORE REALISTIC side....we did have an All-American named Scott McDonald (which really helped us). Now this guy could play basketball and football, but he went on to pitch for the Baltimore Oriole's. Oh yeah!!! The guys were undefeated State Champs in 3 Sports that year. McDonald, of course, was the pitcher on the baseball team. We were just a small A League school, so probably not all THAT good really. It's not like Gonzaga Prep. 4A

thespywhozaggedme
02-24-2007, 08:41 PM
mal,
You couldn't resist, huh? ;) Some habits are hard to change. May I remind our newer members that you and jazz were the two who ridiculed and mocked me personally, even getting somewhat beligerent with the name calling when three years ago I stated that Ammo and Ronny would be in the NBA. My actual post stated that Ammo, DRav, Turiaf and Batista would spend at least some time on an NBA roster. I was very careful in the wording so as not overstate my opinion. You actually at that time questioned Ammo's ability to get his own shot in the NBA and said that maybe he'd be a 2nd rounder. We know how that one turned out, Ronny is doing great with the Fakers and JP had a cup of coffee with the T'Wolves during the summer. DRav,I'm not so sure about but we'll see.

Point is, in the predictions department, me 3, you 0. I'll be here again in 2 or 3 more years when Mb and JP become lottery picks to bring up this thread. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it since it is a rather common occurance.

By the way, what do you mean I forgot about Terry? CDC, said that the trio of Bibby, Miles Simon and Dickerson are "Far" better than our trio. I was responding to his post which didn't include Terry which when added with Bibby, Dickerson and Simon obviously doesn't make a trio, so how could I have forgot about him when he wasn't part of the conversation?

bigblahla
02-24-2007, 09:54 PM
It's like a western but different.

It's a showdown every game.

Our gunslingers, D-Rav, Pargo, Bouldin, Kuso, Mallon, Pendo and Downs, out numbered but fearless.

Sorry BZ, we may be outmanned and undersized but I don't see the hole in the middle any longer.

You are right about one thing, it is what it is. This is the BEST TEAM I've seen on the court for GU this year. This TEAM, this Phoenix that has risen from the ashes out of necessity has given me more pleasure in the last 3 games than the marquis wins over UNC and Texas.

Win or lose I will never forget how our Magnificent Seven faced the adversity of this season and rose above it.

Go!! Zags!!!

RebornZag
02-24-2007, 10:06 PM
Now there's a name...a real name too...You post really made me laugh my $$$ off....Bigblahla. I think I saw the Movie in High School. The book was so long I decided to try reading The Little Engine That Could. I loved it so much I decided to major in English Litt at GU.....:D ;) Just KIDDDING :)

tyra
02-24-2007, 10:10 PM
I was (perversely) glad to read BobZ's post that Jeremy was ill today. I thought his game was way off in intensity. Knowing he was just sick makes me think the warrior will be back soon. Get well Jeremy.

wazmix
02-25-2007, 01:49 AM
...It was a doughnut that saved Springfield from the runaway Monorail !!!!

"Doughnuts, is there anything they can't do?"

That is my new mantra/credo for the rest of the Zag season.

-----------------------------------

"Is there a chance the track could bend?"

RebornZag
02-25-2007, 10:54 AM
"I think I can.....I think I can....I think I can...." Damn WE did it!!!