PDA

View Full Version : Why does Lute need leave for Divorce?

Zag 77
12-08-2007, 10:00 PM
I do not mean to be cold, but why does Mr. Olson need a one year leave to deal with the end of a marriage that only lasted a few years?

Unfortunately people get divorced every day in our society (a bad thing) but life goes on.

Does the State of Arizona have a very liberal personal leave policy for state employees in this sort of situation?

The whole thing strikes me as a bit of a smokescreen to retirement and a coaching change. I don't get it. At 73, why does Lute not just say he is done and grab his fishing pole and say he is done?

HillBillyZag
12-09-2007, 05:01 PM
As I am just a couple years younger than Lute Olson and have a great wife who has been with me for nearly 43 years, I can understand what the man has gone through. I don't think right now that if ("God forbid"), I would lose my mate, I would want to remarry. Sharing raising a family, careers,joys, disappointments, and love create a bond that in reality can never be broken,even in death. IMHO,he met a nice Lady, thought they could nuture each other and enjoy their sunset years , but for reasons known only to them, it just did not work out. It easily could be he is just too much in love with his first wife and their memories to make things work, or perhaps it was she who could not adjust? I only know that I wish them them both well and that things work out for each. God Bless and guide them.

RenoZag
12-09-2007, 05:39 PM
I do not mean to be cold, but why does Mr. Olson need a one year leave to deal with the end of a marriage that only lasted a few years?

Unfortunately people get divorced every day in our society (a bad thing) but life goes on.

Does the State of Arizona have a very liberal personal leave policy for state employees in this sort of situation?

The whole thing strikes me as a bit of a smokescreen to retirement and a coaching change. I don't get it. At 73, why does Lute not just say he is done and grab his fishing pole and say he is done?

1. He values his privacy?
2. He thinks his team will better served by his taking a hiatus?
3. No one is in a position to judge someone else's disintegrating relationships, regardless of the length of time of the relationship.
4. Nobody cares what the personal leave policy for high profile State of AZ employees might be.

Zag 77
12-10-2007, 10:10 PM
Privacy is relative when you are a public figure.

Like I said, I am sorry he is getting divorced, but come on. Look at the records section of the paper. Dozens of people file for divorce every day. You mean to tell me that the majority of them are entitled to take a year off from their responsibilities? Does not Mr. Olson owe a little something to the kids he recruited to his program? I mean if he is burned out, that is understandable and he is entitled to go retire, but why this elaborate song-and-dance instead of just saying "I quit?"

Does anybody really think he is coming back at 73 after being out for a year?

TexasZagFan
12-11-2007, 01:47 AM
Lute is seeking the divorce, but his wife is fighting it. She's the president of a company back East, as well as deeply involved in the Republican party.

I can only speculate that the "long distance relationship" thing doesn't work for Lute.

I also agree with HB. My wife and I have been married 20 years. Should I be the one to survive her, I just don't see starting up another relationship.

CDC84
12-12-2007, 07:45 AM
More things are going on with Lute related to his immediate family than just this divorce. I can't divulge it, but I hardly blame him for taking this leave of absence. I know I would. But if were him I would also be on a Club Med vacation and out of head coaching.