PDA

View Full Version : ----GUnit of The Game---- (Northridge)

gozagswoohoo
12-08-2007, 06:32 PM
Ok, so for the 6 people who actually got to watch the game...give us some insight on why you picked your GUnit. Ill try to pick mine from stats here a little later on...

OOPS- Thanks for the correction, apparently I WAS NOT paying attention. NORTHRIDGE, not Riverside, lol.

wazZag
12-08-2007, 06:36 PM
Downs. He was electric tonight.

RenoZag
12-08-2007, 06:37 PM
Micah Downs. Filled up the box score and continues to play good defense.

Has been ( along with Pendo ) a very consistent Zag all season long.

Nevtelen
12-08-2007, 06:42 PM
Downs, no question - while not being any less of a team player, he was more assertive out there. Shot well, had some nice assits, and 2 great flushes in a row - he was just about the only guy that could finish off a fast break, it seemed at point. Nice game for Micah.

Birddog
12-08-2007, 06:46 PM
Ill try to pick mine from stats here a little later on..
Woohoo, it's your game and we play with your ball, but that just seems so wrong. I can see using the stats after listening or watching to firm things up but.......

Birddog

ZagMania
12-08-2007, 06:47 PM
Great to hear that Micah was being more assertive, I couldn't watch this one. Not even the sports bars I called had this one.

Club Prez
12-08-2007, 06:52 PM
opponent challenged. The Zags defeated Cal State - Northridge, not Riverside.

Micah Downs was the POG. Took good shots, hustled hard on defense, and only made a few mistakes. Hopefully this is his breakout game and he continues to put up big numbers.

Thomas_Sutpen
12-08-2007, 06:56 PM
Just to mix it up a little bit, I'll go with Bouldin. 18 pts, 6 boards, and his first dunk.

fedwayzag
12-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Have to agree with Micha being gunit of the game

zag67
12-08-2007, 06:58 PM
Micah by far, then Matt, and lastly Jeremy (his passing, assists and steals)

ZagNative
12-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Super happy for Micah continuing to play well. He's my GUnit. And when did he start chewing during the game? Is that Matty's influence? We'll have to wait for GonzagaGurl08 to find out what color of chew it is. (Bubble-gum, not tobacco, no doubt, since he's such an upstanding young fella.)

GU69
12-08-2007, 07:20 PM
Everyone on the team had a nice game.

The rebounding was crazy, and Kuso, Sacre, Pendo, and Downs all get credit for that. (The box score shows Kuso with 8 offensive rebounds.)

Bouldin's shooting was great, and Pargo's assists show that he keeps getting even better.

But I agree with the majority so far that the unit tonight was the Pendo-in-training guy who does everything, and does it at 100% effort.

Besides, (1) I like his first name, and (2) he got the post-game radio interview.

ZagNative
12-08-2007, 08:10 PM
I can vouch for Micah having a nice post-game interview. He really sounds like he belongs - He's a Zag!

I liked what he said when asked what he'd be doing over the break, something to the effect that he'd take "a couple days' rest and then focus on finishing up school strong.'

Best of luck on Finals, Micah, and all the guys.

Psychozag
12-08-2007, 08:14 PM
Micah.

USMC69
12-08-2007, 08:36 PM
Downs, but how bout a shout out for Ira!. First points in a GU uni.

ZagNative
12-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Tom Hudson said on KGA during the game that Ira!'s folks were in the house and that they are spending five days here, so it was especially neat to see him getting a little playing time in front of his parents.

Richard Fox also made the comment, when Ira! made that sprint down the court, that Micah rewarded him with a pass for his effort. Then, when Ira! put those FT's down, Micah had a big old smile, but I wasn't sure if he was pleased for Ira! or because Sorenson had entered the game.

Fox also mentioned that Errol was in the house, apparently home from Israel for the holidays. It would be interesting to hear Errol's take on playing over there.

Sorry for the digression.

So has everyone voted for Micah so far except Thomas Sutpen? If it continues this way, maybe Thomas would like to change his vote to Micah so we could make it unanimous and hoist Micah on our shoulders for a ride into the GUBoard locker room proclaimed GUnit by acclamation.

JAGzag
12-08-2007, 08:53 PM
I'm actually in town and was able to go to the game! It was Downs, but Matt looked pretty comfortable for the most part and it was good to see him hit two quick threes. Daye seems to have lost his aggressiveness and isn't creating his shots like he did early on. Sacre has the chance to become very, very good and it's amazing to see how mobile he is for 7ft. But right now, he is an offensive liability and can't buy a bucket.

Kennel Club disappeared for long stretches and a lot of their chants were not in sync - one side would say one thing and the other side was just off; I guess that will happen when it's that large!

There was some jerk in a blue Duke Basketball T-Shirt!

Stadium is pretty cool - it's like a mini Forum.

Great time!

Scotto
12-08-2007, 09:04 PM
Sacre has the chance to become very, very good and it's amazing to see how mobile he is for 7ft. But right now, he is an offensive liability and can't buy a bucket.

How is Rob a liability? yeah he was 0-5 from the field, but was 6 for 6 from the line. Which equates to 3 for 8 on his offensive possessions. Which is not bad. Beats his man down court almost every time and gets great position.

Edit: Micah for GUnit

tyra
12-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Not close, Downs be the man tonight.

roxdoc
12-08-2007, 09:18 PM
I was there too and I vote for Micah. He was great all night on both sides of the ball, and his two back to back dunks were spectacular. I think one of his best plays was his long bounce pass to Ira, through traffic on the fast break. Ira didn't complete it as he was fouled hard, but got his FT;s for his first Zag points. Just a terrific pass.

GonzagaGurl08
12-08-2007, 10:30 PM
Micah is my GUnit. I didn't catch what color gum he was chomping on.

Erroll Knight was in the house, sitting on the baseline between the team bench and the kennel club.

ZagNut08
12-08-2007, 10:34 PM
Downs for sure, those back to back dunks were pretty sweet

As for the person in the duke shirt...there were two

I pointed one out and of course we made the usual "he must be a trendy fan" comment, and to our suprise, he covered the shirt up with a Washington State Basketball sweatshirt...what a shocker

I can only imagine how he is a fan of duke basketball and washington state basketball

ZagsGoZags
12-08-2007, 10:34 PM
When I saw the thread title I said out loud "Downs"
After reading the thread I see that many others had the same evaluation

bigblahla
12-08-2007, 10:42 PM
Free Micah

This game was a glimpse of what Micah can do.

Have faith Micah, have faith!

Go Zags!!!

rawkmandale
12-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Micah had a great game, but I think I'll nominate Pendo, since he didn't miss a shot (1-1 from 3 point land, 1-1 inside, 4-4 free throws), plus 7 boards, and played a marvelous game on defense.

mgadfly
12-08-2007, 11:19 PM
I'd pick Micah too, but I thought it was close between him and Bouldin. They both played really well and they both had great stat lines but Micah had 4 more assists while Bouldin had 2 more rebounds.

ZagNative
12-09-2007, 12:25 AM
Micah Love from the Kennel Club appears to have helped. We http://ejaan.com/images/smiles/Emoticon_a-heart.gif #22!

http://khq.images.worldnow.com/images/7469601_SS.jpg

From the KHQ Zags Web page (http://www.khq.com/global/category.asp?c=105297)

Ziggy
12-09-2007, 01:01 AM
Micah, for living up to the hype! Move on up!

jim77
12-09-2007, 01:16 AM
Micah.

Zag79
12-09-2007, 01:21 AM
Micah, for living up to the hype!
ahh yes. that he is. i love seeing a pure player like MD come in and close mouths being run by people that have never met or seen him in person. easily the GUnit of the game. very cool to see Ira get his first points, hes got the hustle to do big things. nice to see matt hit some 3s as well.

GonzPeter
12-09-2007, 08:06 AM
Micah

brasszag
12-09-2007, 08:12 AM
I'm going to be the other dissenting voice here and go with Matt.

Both he and Micah had great games and showed the reasons why Few and staff offered Schollies to them, but I think Bouldin's confident comeback from his miserable game against WSU pushed me over.

And the dunk.

zaguarxj
12-09-2007, 08:37 AM
I'll go along with Micah. And Erroll was not only there, he was walking through the crowd and shaking hands with fans with a big smile on his face. What a great ambassador for the Zags.

LynetteG
12-09-2007, 08:38 AM
hands down...MICAH!!!!!!

Proudzagmom
12-09-2007, 02:06 PM
I agree with everything said about Micah. But, I thought Bouldin was great and once I heard that he was sick with a nasty cold, I thought he played outstanding! The kid is all over the place on that court. We TiVo'd the game and watched his dunk and Micah's dunks over and over! What fun it is to be a ZAG fan!!

lawzag
12-09-2007, 02:11 PM
Micah without reservation. :)

Good to see Pargo doing it all as well - pts, assists, rebounds, & steals on the boxscore - WAY TO GO!

ZagNative
12-09-2007, 05:36 PM
Speaking of Errol, in a thread about the GUIT of the game, I wonder if Errol had any influence in Micah's choice of the number 22 on his Zags' uniform. It would be nice if ....

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/NBA/Errol/2003-12-06-ErrolMarylandBBT-2-1.jpg
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Downs/2007-11-13-Micah-Idaho.jpg

Coincidence?

Ziggy
12-09-2007, 06:41 PM
Speaking of Errol, in a thread about the GUIT of the game, I wonder if Errol had any influence in Micah's choice of the number 22 on his Zags' uniform. It would be nice if ....

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/NBA/Errol/2003-12-06-ErrolMarylandBBT-2-1.jpg
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Downs/2007-11-13-Micah-Idaho.jpg

Coincidence?

Are you inferring athletic lineage that passes from wearer-to-wearer of the Jersey?

ZagNative
12-09-2007, 07:45 PM
Are you inferring athletic lineage that passes from wearer-to-wearer of the Jersey?
I was thinking more in line of choosing the number of an admired predecessor signaling a desire to emulate. However, maybe there's something more to it. Maybe there is magic in the number.