PDA

View Full Version : Too bad for Lute?

ZagNative
12-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Perhaps the mystery of Lute's leave is solved, as news is published that he's filed for divorce. (http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/ss/frontpage/70933.php) Earlier, a column in the Arizona Daily Star (http://www.azstarnet.com/sports/215174) said:

Olson won't coach the Wildcats again this season. It's highly unlikely he'll ever coach again; the odds of a man who turns 74 in September returning to the grind of college basketball are overwhelming.

Each day Olson remained on leave, or as a part-time coach/consultant, the grip on his beloved Wildcats slipped. His once-total control of a Top 10 program vanished as if overnight.

That is the pace and the way of college basketball. It waits for no one, not even a legend.

It doesn't have to be sad.

No one says we have to remember Olson at 73, unable to pull the trigger on a full return to coaching, but yet unwilling to let go and to walk away until it became painfully obvious that Arizona has become Kevin O'Neill's team.

Ultimately, Olson realized what his players and UA Athletic Director Jim Livengood had come to understand. It would be in the best interest of everyone, especially for Olson, if he steps back, rests and re-evaluates.
I hope he returns. I'd hope his domestic situation doesn't leave him so wounded that he isn't able to leave eventually on his own terms. I really like Lute and will miss him if, indeed, it turns out he's coached his last game.

Discussion on GOAZCATS (http://forum.goazcats.com/showthread.php?t=72127)

hls97
12-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Not to stir a hornet's nest or anything, but didn't folks used to say that Arizona was one job Few would leave GU for? I don't know whether O'Neill is a lock for the permanent job or whether UA would even consider Few, but I do seem to remember people saying Few had interest in the gig if it ever opened up...

ZagNative
12-07-2007, 12:45 PM
Doesn't it seem pretty clear they paid that O'Neil (sp?) guy big bucks to come in as an assistant, grooming him to take over for Lute eventually in a smooth transition?

I always thought that if Few went anywhere, it would be to Oregon (family and good fishing close by). However, I also thought that Grier's departure, leaving the guarantee of next-in-line status per his contract when Few left meant that he knew Few wasn't going anywhere, even to Oregon.

TuckC
12-07-2007, 12:51 PM
I recall Few after maybe his first or second Sweet 16 said that Oregon and Arizona would be the schools he'd leave for. He said Arizona because he respected Lute Olson so much.

Snagglezag
12-07-2007, 01:22 PM
Arizona will be knocking on Coach Few's door. You can bet on it.

Rubbadub
12-07-2007, 01:27 PM
Same topic...different article...just an fyi:

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=7688

rennis
12-07-2007, 01:30 PM
I recall Few after maybe his first or second Sweet 16 said that Oregon and Arizona would be the schools he'd leave for. He said Arizona because he respected Lute Olson so much.

I recall the same thing. I think it had something to do with the chance to win a national title as well. I've dreaded Olson's retirement ever since.

ZagNative
12-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Thanks Rubbadub. Poor Zagnative! The evidence of creeping senility mounts, as the previous post escaped notice. Zagnative's family talks of taking away the car keys and checkbook ... :confused:

CDC84
12-07-2007, 02:14 PM
The guy that is coaching Arizona right now has extensive college and pro coaching experience (including head coaching experience) and is one of the best defensive coaches in the game at any level. O'Neill also has a good track record as a recruiter.

If Lute retires, O'Neill is going to be there for awhile. I don't think he was just hired to toughen up the Wildcats, but to take over the ship should Lute step aside.

Of course this doesn't mean that O'Neill will be around forever, but he's got some years left in him....many more than Lute does.

rennis
12-07-2007, 02:16 PM
The guy that is coaching right now at Arizona has extensive college and pro coaching experience and is one of the best defensive coaches in the game at any level.

If Lute retires, O'Neill is going to be there for awhile. I don't think he was just hired to toughen up the Wildcats, but to take over the ship should Lute step aside.

Of course this doesn't mean that O'Neill will be around forever, but he's got some years left in him....many more than Lute does.

good call. still, even if the succession plan is in place, there's nothing to say they wouldn't let him go in a couple years if he wasn't performing and come after Few anyway...

CDC84
12-07-2007, 03:56 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=315819

Reborn
12-07-2007, 04:37 PM
This article brings a lot of sadness to my heart. Lute Olsen is my favorite coach, and I hate to see him go. I loved his book that came out last year or two years ago. This is just very sad. I will be praying for him and his family. I'll want to know more......