PDA

View Full Version : Some key sports squestions?

HillBillyZag
12-07-2007, 08:47 AM
Several of the many questions this sportsfan asks:
1. Why is just defeating a team not enough? Why is it necessary to embarrass a beaten opponent by running up the score and attempting to humiliate them?
2.When any game is over and the players and coaches meet & greet afterwords why do so many simply go through the motions and/or ignore or diss the opposition?
3.With the more than 300 Div.1 Colleges and Universities
competing in Sports what makes some fans & alumni think that if their particular School has won their Conference and/or a bid to the NCAA Tourney, and did not make the final four or win the National championship the season has been a complete flop and the Coaches should be fired.
4.Why do we insist on making regular season Conference Championships pale in comparison to post season play?
5. Why do a lot of Schools continue to use the term student-athlete to discribe kids who are there primarily to gain exposure for a career in Professional sports?

Rubbadub
12-07-2007, 09:52 AM
1. Depends on the sport. College teams look better on paper to media outlets and recruits if they beat teams by 50 than if they cool it after getting up 15 or 20. Besides, specific teams of all levels have rivalries and bitter feelings toward each other. There's no way I'm going to attempt to allow a bitter rival team to maintain their dignity if the game is already decided. If it's a coach/team that I respect on the other hand, I would let them stay close enough as to not feel humiliated. Those are just my thoughts though. Keep in mind that these are all grown men. They can handle a beating and would do the same if the roles were switched. It's about making an impression, ensuring you're going to get a better contract or maintain a roster spot, earn a better ranking, etc.

2. So many go through the motion because they don't respect the other coach or their players. Many do not just go through the motions. Few takes great care to speak with the opponents usually. Calhoun earned so much grief from us because he was so disrespectful.

3. Because fans who are paying big bucks in support of their university athletics and have high hopes expect a lot out of their team(s). Whether those hopes are justified is another matter. If you personally think your team has the talent that they SHOULD be better than they have shown to be, and you're a major supporter of a team, you have a right (and a duty) to scream bloody murder. Mediocrity is not an option that sports fans like to think about. Sports and sports fanaticism is about encouraging your team to victory, not accepting the status quo.

4. Because they do pale in comparison. Post season play is the single most exciting thing, imo, about sports. Ratings reflect this. The kids know it as well.

5. A very low percentage of student-atheletes are there for pro exposure. VERY low. Even the ones that are there for pro exposure have requirements they must meet regarding academics.

Zagme-totheleft!
12-08-2007, 10:26 AM
Several of the many questions this sportsfan asks:
3.With the more than 300 Div.1 Colleges and Universities
competing in Sports what makes some fans & alumni think that if their particular School has won their Conference and/or a bid to the NCAA Tourney, and did not make the final four or win the National championship the season has been a complete flop and the Coaches should be fired.

This has bothered me as well. A coach will be fired for not being able to close with their team, but not every team can make it to the top.