PDA

View Full Version : Where was GU's offensive mismatch last night??

fedwayzag
12-06-2007, 10:30 PM
Where did GU have an advantage last night on offense?? Why was it an advantage and was that mismatch exploited??

We love to hear the boards response. I respect everyone's opinion here.

I will chime in a little later.

Rubbadub
12-06-2007, 10:38 PM
Pargo against Low doesn't really seem like a mismatch, but Pargo was able to get to the rim quite frequently (finishing was a problem several times though).

Weaver was always on Bouldin and Low on Pargo...which left Rochestie guarding who...? I'm not sure, going to have to go back and watch the game again some time.

applezag
12-06-2007, 10:47 PM
I thought that we would have been able to get some easier buckets with Pargo or Bouldin in the post, but it didn't seem like there was much of an effort to do that. On the other hand, I think WSU did an excellent job of finding or creating matchups that were to their advantage and exploiting them. The best example of this was late when Rochestie hit his 3. I'm pretty sure Pendo was guarding him, giving him plenty of space because he knew he could blow by him.

Nevtelen
12-06-2007, 10:53 PM
Nope, it was Daye guarding Rochestie. And I think Daye was our mismatch. Downs, too, sometimes, depending.

FuManShoes
12-06-2007, 11:14 PM
It should have been Downs. As much as I liked what he did on defense, I thought he should have been more aggressive on the offensive end. He has versatility and length and maybe shoulda taken it inside more. The Zags' key advantage came at the line, and they shoulda kept exploiting that.

cjm720
12-07-2007, 09:09 AM
Pargo v. Low. Pargo was able to get past Low and to the rim anytime he wanted. The problem was he didn't do it nearly enough. I'm not sure why not...we played right into the Cougars game plan, IMO.

fedwayzag
12-07-2007, 05:13 PM
rubadub hit it on the head. Who did Rochestie guard?? Micha. Down's is 6'8" with long arms. I do not remember one play ran for Micha or a post up by him in the entire game. No way Rochestie can guard Micha. I was very surprised the coaches did not take advantage of the mis-match and punish the cougs. Not only would have Micha scored Rochestie might have gotten into foul trouble.

Oh well, maybe next time if the situation arises again.

BobZag
12-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Richard Fox said on the postgame show that part of WSU's gameplan was to deny Bouldin from posting up.

Can't speak to Micah.

I loved how Daye drove to the hoop, but unfortunately came up empty. Some finishing drlls are in order, methinks.

mdZag23
12-07-2007, 07:27 PM
There were no mismatches in that game. The Cougs did an unbelievable job of playing help defense. They took away almost every post up from every player on our team.

Help Defense won this game, period!

fedwayzag
12-08-2007, 02:08 PM
MDGAG

I would have to agree that WSU played outstanding help defense. However, there still is a mismatch when you have an very good offensive player (micha) who is 6"8" tall vs Rochestie at 6'3". One of two things has to happen when Micha gets the ball down low. Either a foul or a double. Micha's a pretty good passer so it leaves someone open. Now the open person has to hit the shot (which may not have happened Wed) but you do put pressure on WSU.

deathchina
12-08-2007, 04:01 PM
When was the last time you saw Micah post up? Maybe posting up is just something he is not comfortable doing, or capable for that matter. Even with the size advantage.

Nevtelen
12-08-2007, 04:09 PM
Yeah, Micah is not necessarily a post-up guy, I don't think. I ws surprised the team didn't go to him more on the perimiter - Rochestie might have out-quicked him (but not by a lot), but Micah should have easily been able to just shoot over him, like he did to open the game.