PDA

View Full Version : Will we drop out of the top 25 next week?

zagster318
12-06-2007, 05:07 PM
Of course, I am assuming that we will win the game against Cal St. this weekend.

sanfranzagsguy20
12-06-2007, 05:42 PM
we barely rose in the polls after two nice road wins although they were over unranked opponents...after a home loss to a ranked team...well its a definite possibility but i think it depends on what the teams behind us do...

i think st. mary's gets in this week...arizona is going to illinois so thats important...i think xavier should move ahead of us this week...they have that marquee win over indiana....usc probably drops out after the memphis loss...i think villanova and byu stay in...same with vandy...

it might take a team ahead of us losing to stay in...i think we're looking at best case scenario number 23 assuming we beat csu northridge...worst case scenario we drop out but absolutely no further than 27-30th...we dont have that marquee win yet...st. joe's and uconn were nice but mostly because of the travel...we were supposed to beat those teams...

the tennessee and memphis games are REALLY important now as far as rankings go...after that its all BAD losses...i think the WSU game will loom large come march

Gonzdb8
12-06-2007, 07:06 PM
we lost by 4 to the #6 team in the nation. we were without our best post player and our best perimeter threat. i guess anything can happen with the voters but i would be suprised to see us drop all the way out of the top 25. then again, i'm frequently wrong about these things :-)

MickMick
12-06-2007, 08:28 PM
I don't know if they deserve a spot in the top 25. Unbiased observers are probably looking at the Zags as a team that would struggle offensively against a typical high-major.

cbbfanatic
12-06-2007, 08:33 PM
we lost by 4 to the #6 team in the nation. we were without our best post player and our best perimeter threat. i guess anything can happen with the voters but i would be suprised to see us drop all the way out of the top 25. then again, i'm frequently wrong about these things :-)

are you saying that freshman steven gray, with 0 games experience of d1 hoops, is GU's best perimeter threat?

please tell me you're not saying that

Ezag
12-06-2007, 08:34 PM
I think we will drop out soon. I really don't think we are a top 25 team in the nation right now. When Josh and Gray come back it will be a diff story.

MDABE80
12-06-2007, 09:13 PM
NOPE we're out for a while. We need to keep winning and somebody needs to lose a few. 4 pt loss to a high end team is about as good as a 40 pt loss in the polls this time of the year. Things change when the seeds are handed out.

Scotto
12-06-2007, 09:21 PM
are you saying that freshman steven gray, with 0 games experience of d1 hoops, is GU's best perimeter threat?

THANK YOU!

I thought everyone had lost their minds for a moment.

Thomas_Sutpen
12-06-2007, 09:26 PM
we might get a few votes, but we're out of the top 25, win lose or draw against Northridge.

Bing
12-06-2007, 09:29 PM

I've met gonzdb8 but don't know him......thus, I am not speaking for him or his knowledge of GU's guards. However, I've heard 3 others (last names of Rice, Few and Stockton) say that Gray is GU's best shooter -- and that it's not even close.

And guess what -- there are those that felt Rose was Memphis' best point guard -- or that Mayo was USC's best player when their total D1 experience was zero games.

cbbfanatic
12-06-2007, 09:44 PM
I've met gonzdb8 but don't know him......thus, I am not speaking for him or his knowledge of GU's guards. However, I've heard 3 others (last names of Rice, Few and Stockton) say that Gray is GU's best shooter -- and that it's not even close.

And guess what -- there are those that felt Rose was Memphis' best point guard -- or that Mayo was USC's best player when their total D1 experience was zero games.

mayo and rose were consensus top 5 "cant miss" prospects... there is a difference between expectations for those two and a guy that was as close to being a 3 star prospect as he was a 5.

and there is more to being a perimeter threat than just pure shooting ability in practice. gotta get that shot, gotta command the ball, have to be sound enough in other aspects to be on the floor enough minutes, etc - all of this against D1 competition, too.

now i am not saying that gray cannot be that guy, but i think its very premature to label him as the best perimeter threat before even playing a game, despite whatever "coach speak" one might hear.

wuvillezag4
12-06-2007, 11:49 PM
I think we end up between 23-25, the voters will take into account who we are missing.
On the note of Steven being a great perimeter player, we may never see his full potential until we get some sort of scoring post player. Teams are going to realize its a waste to even guard our bigs down low, b/c they are not a scoring presence. Get JH back and that will help Steven ease in, with some easier kick out open shots due to teams having to collapse on Josh.

Reborn
12-08-2007, 09:20 AM
I was thinking of this very question this morning. I think we'll drop to 23. I definately believe we're a top 25 team even without Josh and Stephen, but I've heard the voters do take into account players who are injured.

RenoZag
12-08-2007, 09:33 AM
MickMick & Abe have it right. Polls this time of year are as worthless as LAX TSA screeners. . .

Go Zags !

Nevtelen
12-08-2007, 09:42 AM
MickMick & Abe have it right. Polls this time of year are as worthless as LAX TSA screeners. . .

Go Zags !

The only issue is that if we drop out, we might not have much of a chance to get back in until Memphis (depending on where Tenn is when we play them). I'm hoping we stay in, probably in the low 20s somewhere. Which is honestly about right for the moment.

CDC84
12-08-2007, 01:20 PM
You can't be ranking a team in the polls based on how you think they will be in the future. They have to be ranked based on what they have done up to this point. At this point, as a GU fan, I wouldn't feel comfortable taking on too many top 10 type teams with the current setup.

If Gonzaga wins the rest of their games before league play, I think will see them return to the top 25. Beating Oklahoma, Utah, Tennessee and Georgia (who is 6-1) would count for something with the voters.

Nevtelen
12-08-2007, 02:30 PM
Since BYu just lost, I think there's an even chance at least that we stay in the Top 25 - a home loss to a Top 10 team by 4 shouldn't be treated like a bad loss, IMO. Louisville will also be taking a tumble after loosing to Dayton. We'll see come Mon I guess...

cbbfanatic
12-08-2007, 03:28 PM
it doesnt matter much if they drop out this week anyway.

once january rolls around and conference play starts, they'll slowly creep back to around their pre-season ranking, barring any losses to wcc teams besides possibly st marys.

83topper
12-08-2007, 06:11 PM
The only issue is that if we drop out, we might not have much of a chance to get back in until Memphis (depending on where Tenn is when we play them). I'm hoping we stay in, probably in the low 20s somewhere. Which is honestly about right for the moment.

I think 23 would be about right,if you drop out Iwill be surprised then after you beat tenn you make big move!! after we beat them that is :)

Gonzdb8
12-09-2007, 12:12 AM

i was actually just repeating what coach few has said publicly...that gray is our best outside shooter. so yes, i guess i'm saying that.

figure i should provide some evidence for this claim... from http://www.sportsline.com/print/collegebasketball/story/10470780

"Few spent the preseason operating under the assumption he'd have his All-American candidate center and most heralded backcourt recruit available and in his rotation for what might be his most talented team ever. By Few's estimation, Heytvelt and Gray are two of his top six players, Gonzaga's best inside presence and outside shooter."

zag67
12-09-2007, 03:12 PM
I think that we will drop a few positions. But I still think we will end up being about 20. My reasons are:
We lost to a top 10 team and played them close.
We shot terrible (some because of their defense but not all) and yet we still only lost by 4.
We then came back and did a super job of doing our work in the next game.

Zagme-totheleft!
12-09-2007, 03:19 PM
considering our RPI, I would hope that we would remain in the top 25

bayzag09
12-09-2007, 03:53 PM
we'll be in the top 25 still...we lost to a number 6 team. Yea it was at home but still they are a above average team. And even if we do, who cares? we have plenty of games left to prove ourselves

ZagNative
12-09-2007, 08:51 PM
FWIW, Gary Parrish's Top 25 +1 (http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/polls/top25) has us unchanged, at #22. He's got the Cougs unchanged as well, at #7.