PDA

View Full Version : Faux Zags?

bigblahla
12-06-2007, 04:13 PM
This is probably gonna make some folks mad. I'm a Zag fan and I don't care.

Seems that there is more than a couple died in the wool Cougs that have Zag season tickets. Give them up. The Kennel should never look the way it was described by many last night. Cougs everywhere.

Fan is short for fanatic. I don't think you can be fanatic about two teams. You showed your colors Cougs now go away so the Kennel can be filled with real Zag fans.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

TuckC
12-06-2007, 04:29 PM
yeah, that's what I said, but people are saying it doesn't matter, I STRONGLY DISAGREE.

SunDevilGolfZag
12-06-2007, 04:48 PM
The wine and cheese crowd is probably well-represented by every Northwest/West team we will ever play and WSU likely has its share. For the wine and cheesers its about being beautiful people--not basketball. Just try to ignore them.

ZagNative
12-06-2007, 05:04 PM
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/6109/wolfinsheepsclothingdg2.jpg

Ziggy
12-06-2007, 06:16 PM
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/6109/wolfinsheepsclothingdg2.jpg

ZN, That's what I'm saying! Lets call a wolf a wolf or cougar.:D

McZag
12-06-2007, 06:31 PM
This will definately make people angry and I don't care either.

All the true blue Cougs but social Zags need to be exposed as frauds and leave. Their money is still green and I get that but Gonzaga should not be for sale. If you know someone who went WSU or is a lifelong Coug but likes quality basketball and owns Zag tickets, tell them to sell them. There is a waiting list and tickets need to go to folks with one team, the Zags.

Nevtelen
12-06-2007, 07:30 PM
I feel kind of bad about it, but I really do agree with that sentiment. You just don't see other team's home courts populated by fans of other programs. You can like a lot of teams (I even like the Cougs, as long as you don't ask me until, say, Sunday), but you can only really be a fan of 1. If, when push comes to shove, you don't support the Zags, you should give up the season tickets. I'm not saying that anyone like that is a bad person or casting aspersions on their character or even belittling their choice of team - often these things are emotional and not under conscious control and that's fine - but the Kennel should be for Zag fans. Period. Especially considering how many die-hard, hard-core Zag fans are waiting for tickets (not me, BTW, since I live on the W side).

ZagNative
12-06-2007, 07:58 PM
I posted that graphic primarily because I'm a sucker for graphics and I wanted to have some fun. I do have a teensy bit of ticket envy, because, having been privileged to attend just one game in K2, I would love to be able to attend more but know that season tickets are almost certainly out of my reach; and I was surprised, at that one game I attended, by how much of a "see-and-be-seen" feel I sensed.

However, I also know that much of the money that came to build that arena, to lease the airplane, etc., etc., likely came from folks whose alma maters (not Gonzaga) mean a great deal to them but who nevertheless have done great things for the program and who hold season tickets, and root for the Zags in all games but the one.

I also know that there's no kind of loyalty test that would work to ensure that true Zags fans get first crack at season tickets. Beside that, after every one of the Zags' rare losses, the dumping on the team that goes on here makes some of us wonder who the real fans are anyway.

So, enough said ... except for just one more graphic:

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/6271/kittyinsheepclothingml5.jpg

MedZag
12-06-2007, 08:10 PM
I feel kind of bad about it, but I really do agree with that sentiment. You just don't see other team's home courts populated by fans of other programs. You can like a lot of teams (I even like the Cougs, as long as you don't ask me until, say, Sunday), but you can only really be a fan of 1. If, when push comes to shove, you don't support the Zags, you should give up the season tickets. I'm not saying that anyone like that is a bad person or casting aspersions on their character or even belittling their choice of team - often these things are emotional and not under conscious control and that's fine - but the Kennel should be for Zag fans. Period. Especially considering how many die-hard, hard-core Zag fans are waiting for tickets (not me, BTW, since I live on the W side).

I echo this sentiment.

Ezag
12-06-2007, 08:38 PM
I agree 110% with everything here. Last night was a disgrace with Crimson everywhere and hearing the Coug chants at the end. This isn't the Spokane Arena it is the Kennel home of the ZAGS and only the ZAGS!

sittingon50
12-06-2007, 09:15 PM
Hey, let's just go a little bit further; how 'bout a little ethnic cleansing?
Plenty of great spots in the world we can get a few tips from.

I graduated from Eastern. Does the fact that my 2 oldest kids graduated from Gonzaga earn me a pass?

IMO you're talking like fans. How about starting out as humans & work from there?

gu03alum
12-06-2007, 09:17 PM
how 'bout a little ethnic cleansing?

Talk about extreme.

Rubbadub
12-06-2007, 09:22 PM
What a silly comparison to make..

MedZag
12-06-2007, 09:22 PM

I graduated from Eastern. Does the fact that my 2 oldest kids graduated from Gonzaga earn me a pass?

IMO you're talking like fans. How about starting out as humans & work from there?

I think you're taking the argument the wrong way. People aren't saying you need a certain pedigree to own season tickets (at least I hope not), people are just saying that at a home venue, season ticket owners' allegiances should always lie with the home team. I don't think thats too much to ask, and I think thats what the players on the court deserve.

Note: This doesn't apply to loyal opposing fans who are able to invade rival courts. That's just impressive. This is applying to ticket owning "fans" who root for the team only when its convenient/trendy/cool/whatever.

sittingon50
12-06-2007, 09:23 PM
And after reading your stuff for the past 24 hours I am not at all surprised that you totally missed the point.

asoc
12-06-2007, 10:31 PM
Not sure how popular my opinion will be, but here are some quick thoughts on the situation based on what I have read on these forums.

I believe that the kennel should be for Gonzaga fans only.
The School should do its best to keep opposing fans away from home games.
You could have gone to a different school and still be a true supporter of the Zags.

So how do you control who is a true supporter and may deserve a seat over someone else?

What would it take to organize a "supporter group" that can gather up X amount of tickets for every game and would be as supportive as the kennel club and student sections are?

This doesn't have to be affiliated with the school, however it would be good to have a relationship with the school so that you can get a group of tickets that you can have filled every game with passionate supporters.

Perhaps have this section right next to the student section.

Or, if this isn't a viable option.

Why can't the school set aside Season tickets in a certain location that are designated for passionate fans. Where you are expected to be standing and cheering the whole game? If you are not doing so, you can have your season ticket privileges revoked and given to someone else? Maybe this would be adjacent to the student section?

The School needs to do its best to build a great atmosphere inside the kennel. Thats what the team wants, and thats what supporting a team SHOULD be about. You can not ignore the effect the fans can have on a game.

While this may only be a one time occurrence, maybe some steps do need to be taken so this doesn't happen again?

TexasZagFan
12-06-2007, 10:47 PM
The wine and cheese crowd is probably well-represented by every Northwest/West team we will ever play and WSU likely has its share. For the wine and cheesers its about being beautiful people--not basketball. Just try to ignore them.

Down here in Texas, we call them the "Boob Jobs and Cocaine Crowd", particularly at Dallas Mavericks games. When the Cowboys new stadium opens in 2009, there'll be plenty of them, because they'll be the only ones that can afford the ticket price.

TexasZagFan
12-06-2007, 10:54 PM

Like Pullman, WA?

http://www.snappedshot.com/uploads/Intifada2006/capt.sri10209151139.india_kashmir_pope_protest_sri 102.jpg

All kidding aside 50...I've got two kids in college now, and it boggles my mind that you put two through GU.

Ezag
12-06-2007, 11:17 PM
http://www.snappedshot.com/uploads/Intifada2006/capt.sri10209151139.india_kashmir_pope_protest_sri 102.jpg

COUG POSERS!!! WE WANT OUR ZAG TICKETS!!

TexasZagFan
12-06-2007, 11:28 PM

COUG POSERS!!! WE WANT OUR ZAG TICKETS!!

LOL! You deserve pos rep for that! You now have 4 green boxes where there was only one before.

skiptheskier
12-07-2007, 05:55 AM
I was disappointed when I read this thread, but I can certainly see how we got here. There is a very large state school 75 miles down the road and Spokane is the closest decent sized city. Spokane is probably a Cougar town more than anything simply due to the size discrepancy. The support the Zags have gotten from Spokane has been tremendous, but now you might see where a lot of that support comes from. This tells you a lot more about Cougar fans than it does Gonzaga fans. Also, if it wasn't for corporate sponsors, we might not have a new arena. The fact that Cougar fans ended up in corporate seats is due to the reality of the Spokane demographic, not bad Gonzaga fans.

The thing that frustrates me is that so many of the people waiting for tickets would support the school itself rather than just be Cougars who go to the basketball games. That is too late to fix now so we must accept it for what it is, but I don't think there would have been a way to achieve pure zagdom when the season tickets originally went on sale. Its not like they were gone in a matter of hours or even days.

However, looking back, if the Cougs had made their run 5 years ago, I don't think many of their fans would have gotten Zags season tickets. Unfortunate timing for us. Again, it tells you more about some of the Coug fans than it does Gonzaga fans. Faux Zags is a perfect term.

Sorry for the rambling, disconnected thoughts. Its been a long week.

CougarTim
12-07-2007, 08:16 AM
Wow...I used to think that the UW alumni were the biggest whinners on the West Coast, but think Blue & Red is the new Purple & Gold.
And as far as "we have the best student section in the nation"....ummm, you really need to stop hanging out with Heytvelt. There is this little private school in Durham, NC that might have a little something to say about that.
Seriously, GU fans...stop whinning and just remember, being the 2nd best basketball school in our great state, is still a pretty nice honor.

hondo46
12-07-2007, 08:41 AM
Perhaps we could build a few medieval stockades where Faux Zags could be placed while waiting to be burned at the stake.
http://www.knightsedge.com/medieval-weapons/medieval-stockade.htm

Rubbadub
12-07-2007, 08:50 AM
Maybe we should tie up each season ticket holder and throw them in a river. If they float, they must be Coug fans. :lmao:

a13coach
12-07-2007, 09:07 AM
I was disappointed when I read this thread, but I can certainly see how we got here. There is a very large state school 75 miles down the road and Spokane is the closest decent sized city. Spokane is probably a Cougar town more than anything simply due to the size discrepancy. The support the Zags have gotten from Spokane has been tremendous, but now you might see where a lot of that support comes from. This tells you a lot more about Cougar fans than it does Gonzaga fans. Also, if it wasn't for corporate sponsors, we might not have a new arena. The fact that Cougar fans ended up in corporate seats is due to the reality of the Spokane demographic, not bad Gonzaga fans.

The thing that frustrates me is that so many of the people waiting for tickets would support the school itself rather than just be Cougars who go to the basketball games. That is too late to fix now so we must accept it for what it is, but I don't think there would have been a way to achieve pure zagdom when the season tickets originally went on sale. Its not like they were gone in a matter of hours or even days.

However, looking back, if the Cougs had made their run 5 years ago, I don't think many of their fans would have gotten Zags season tickets. Unfortunate timing for us. Again, it tells you more about some of the Coug fans than it does Gonzaga fans. Faux Zags is a perfect term.

Sorry for the rambling, disconnected thoughts. Its been a long week.

You are correct it does say a lot about Coug fans in the Spokane area. To me it says that they are not big enough fans to buy season tix to the Coug games and drive a mere 75 miles, but instead they will buy GU tix because that is the "in" thing to do in Spokane. Have a little cheese and wine at the game enjoy watching a great basketball program, although we now know their hearts and passion did not lie with the Zags.
That has been the way of the typical Coug fan. When the Cougs are not winning it is easy to get a ticket and rarely sell out. Example: football-prior to the peak of the Mike Price years you could walk up to the gate on game day and get a ticket. During/around the RoseBowl years that was not possible, now they are back to the lower end of the Pac-10 and what do you know no sell outs. Basketball-it was just a few years ago when GU played at WSU and had as many or if not more fans there. Now that the Bennett's have boosted their program the fans arrive.
I used to work with many WSU alum's and during the Walden years they would barely think about driving down for a game, maybe 1-2 a year say if USC was visiting or during the Apple Cup but would never even think about driving down for a basketball game. During the Price Peak not only were they driving down for most home games but were renting buses and taking loads of people with them. Think they are doing that now?
Another example: just about 3 years ago after a GU Sat. home game while walking back to the car w/my then 3yr old I ran into one of my former WSU co-worker/friend who attended the game. But what struck me odd was WSU was playing at home against UW!! How does a fan skip a home game against their biggest rival and instead attend a game of team they have no connection to? Because the Cougs were bad that year and were not expected to win. No way in hell does he do that this year right?

So please do not come over here and lecture true GU fans on team support.

Ezag
12-07-2007, 09:10 AM
Why do Coug Alums who own GU season tickets claim to be "Coug Fans 1st" now.

Is it only because they have been good the past 2 seasons and only now are you coming out of the wood work as supporters?

Why do you not support the Cougs with Season tickets? I sure plenty were available at the time you bought GU Mac tickets.

I was a cameraman for Fox Sports, NMT, ESPN for years and I will tell you there were many Coug Home games just a few years ago where there were no more than 3000 people in attendance!

cjm720
12-07-2007, 09:29 AM
This thread is ridiculous and filled with a bunch of whiners. It's great to have passion about your team but to take it so far as to think that someone else shouldn't be allowed to have season tickets or attend a game if they're rooting for the other team? Seriously? It's a mode of entertainment and a majority in attendance are loyal Zags. I'd bet my next paycheck that every single person on this board would go to a GU/Duke game in Coack K arena if they had the opportunity. It's just a good basketball game, plain and simple.
The fact that we have two top 20 teams within 75 miles is a GOOD THING. And to think fans from both schools would attend seems pretty normal to me. As far as going to the game because it's the "in thing," yeah, welcome to America. That said, I'm all for opening up more tickets for students.

GO ZAGS.

DisappointedFan
12-07-2007, 09:30 AM
Maybe we should tie up each season ticket holder and throw them in a river. If they float, they must be Coug fans. :lmao:

Gotta hand it to you...that is some funny s***.

Pun intended.

Zagpower
12-07-2007, 09:33 AM
Even though I saw a few season ticket holders in Coug gear, the overwhelming majority of the Coug fans were in the corporate seats. It only makes sense as I expect WSU fans to sign up for the company GU tickets when WSU is in town. This is an anomaly that will only happen for a WSU game.

There's nothing that can really be done about it other than GU encouraging these companies to provide the tickets to GU fans.

SCUZAG
12-07-2007, 09:44 AM
I went to Santa Clara but I have had season tickets since 1993, because I like to watch basketball. Isn't that enough of a reason to "allow" someone to buy season tickets to a sporting event? With the exception of probably Hondo and a few hundred others, where were all of you true blue fans before 1998 (some were probably in grade school but that is besides the point)? My friends from SCU call me a traitor bc I cheer for GU now always, and have for years, but if I still cheered for SCU when they come to the Kennel, does that mean I shouldn't be able to buy tickets? I must have missed that item on my form when I paid my money. Seems pretty ridiculous, juvenile even, to suggest that if you live in Spokane but GU is not your number one team, that you shouldn't be able to buy tickets. Get a life, bunch of whiners.

zag944
12-07-2007, 09:54 AM
If I ever moved to a different major city, Id buy NFL season tickets, and I would still be a Seahawks fan. There is certainly nothing wrong with that.

Don't complain about the fans, just drown them out the best you can. Our student section alone should be 100 times as loud

The exception to my paitience is of course Red Sox fans. All you bandwagon jumpers who have never even been to Boston and are obnoxious at the Mariners games can go jump off a cliff.

skiptheskier
12-07-2007, 10:08 AM
I went to Santa Clara but I have had season tickets since 1993, because I like to watch basketball. Isn't that enough of a reason to "allow" someone to buy season tickets to a sporting event? With the exception of probably Hondo and a few hundred others, where were all of you true blue fans before 1998 (some were probably in grade school but that is besides the point)? My friends from SCU call me a traitor bc I cheer for GU now always, and have for years, but if I still cheered for SCU when they come to the Kennel, does that mean I shouldn't be able to buy tickets? I must have missed that item on my form when I paid my money. Seems pretty ridiculous, juvenile even, to suggest that if you live in Spokane but GU is not your number one team, that you shouldn't be able to buy tickets. Get a life, bunch of whiners.

I think people might be asking themselves, "where were all the cougar fans two years ago?" I was at that game, and although there were a handful of Coug fans, it was nothing like the accounts of this game. Now, I expect the difference to come from two types of Coug fans. One, the fan that was a little more motivated to get a ticket to this game then they were two years ago. Second, the GU season ticket holder that cheered for the Zags 2 years ago and the Cougs this year. It is the second type of fan that I wish those tickets were in the hands of a more deserving fan. I don't think anything should ever be done to get those tickets into more deserving fans though.

Also, asking if a GU fan would try to get tickets @ Duke isn't even the same discussion. What we would be comparing is if a Duke season ticket holder suddenly started wearing NC State gear once a year if they suddenly became a top 10 team.

CougarTim
12-07-2007, 10:49 AM
Yeah, GU USED to be the best team in the state...and Abe Lincoln USED to be President and dinosaurs USED to walk the Earth...it's called the past. Welcome to the present, the Cougs now rule the state (however GU, you still have men's soccer, so you have that going for you, which is nice). And while the Bulldogs now get to worry about Pepperdine and Portland, we now turn from playing quaint little mid-majors like you to playing UCLA and Arizona. And for the future, this series is now a true rivaly and it should be a blast, but just remember GU fans, you have win the next 50 in a row just to tie the all-time series.

ps- I still like you guys better than the Huskies, but not by much :)

brasszag
12-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Blah blah blah.

Go to the NCAA tournament 9 years in a row before talking about who's ascendant or fading... it's premature to talk about WSU as the best team in the state and GU as the second best regarding recent history.

Last year WSU was definitely better, this year... right now WSU was better, by the end of the year, we'll see then.

DisappointedFan
12-07-2007, 11:08 AM
Yeah, GU USED to be the best team in the state...and Abe Lincoln USED to be President and dinosaurs USED to walk the Earth...it's called the past. Welcome to the present, the Cougs now rule the state (however GU, you still have men's soccer, so you have that going for you, which is nice). And while the Bulldogs now get to worry about Pepperdine and Portland, we now turn from playing quaint little mid-majors like you to playing UCLA and Arizona. And for the future, this series is now a true rivaly and it should be a blast, but just remember GU fans, you have win the next 50 in a row just to tie the all-time series.

Thanks for invalidating my arguments that Coug fans, for the most part, are classy people.

LongIslandZagFan
12-07-2007, 11:14 AM

Lets see where WSU is in about 2 years and then talk.

CougarTim
12-07-2007, 11:32 AM
Ya know the more I think about, I probably was wrong calling the Bulldogs the 2nd best team in the state. I mean, I am pretty sure the UW will score more than 47 points against us at home, and they're not even ranked. So, thanks GU fans for helping me see the error of my ways...you are the 3rd best team in the state. Hey, you're still better than Eastern. And you would be the best team in Idaho by a mile!

Stirring you guys up is like picking on your little brother, almost TOO easy.

sittingon50
12-07-2007, 11:42 AM
I love you on South Park, man!

brasszag
12-07-2007, 11:50 AM
Ya know the more I think about, I probably was wrong calling the Bulldogs the 2nd best team in the state. I mean, I am pretty sure the UW will score more than 47 points against us at home, and they're not even ranked. So, thanks GU fans for helping me see the error of my ways...you are the 3rd best team in the state. Hey, you're still better than Eastern. And you would be the best team in Idaho by a mile!

Stirring you guys up is like picking on your little brother, almost TOO easy.

And the troll continues to have nothing better to do.

Psychozag
12-07-2007, 11:53 AM
Where were all these sh*t talking coogs before the game? I think that they held off on the trash talk because of a well-founded fear that they would lose that game. Now that they have won, they crawl out of their holes. Next year, talk sh*t before the game...that is if you haven't fallen off the bandwagon by then.

CougarTim
12-07-2007, 11:58 AM
It is always nice to be loved.

ps - you REALLY want to start with the personal stuff? Really? Because I am used to talking trash with UW guys and I gotta tell ya, they are WAY rougher than anything on this board, so if you want to go there...let's go. But I am having fun just keeping it to pretty PG-level rated trash talking. You GU fans really need to get a thicker skin. You would not last 5 min in a UW/WSU, Alabama/Auburn, Texas/Oklahoma type rivalry arguement.

But here is one real basketball question, why on Earth did you guys not feed Pendo more in the 2nd half, that was the clear match-up advantage you guys on offense, AND he was clearly feeling it. I really think Pargo's distribution skills (or lack there of) cost you guys the game.

B Wayne
12-07-2007, 11:59 AM
I hate to admit it, but Cougar Tim does make some valid points. Right now the Cougs are better than the Zags. And they were last year too. The future, who knows?

It was humiliating enough that WSU held the Zags to a score you'd expect in a grade school game.

But now one of their fans (Cougar Tim) is making us all sound like a bunch of Greg Heisters!

We need better comebacks!

I hate when that happens.

sonuvazag
12-07-2007, 12:07 PM
CougarTim sounds like the seven year old who thought the wine box was kool aid.

brasszag
12-07-2007, 12:12 PM
It is always nice to be loved.

ps - you REALLY want to start with the personal stuff? Really? Because I am used to talking trash with UW guys and I gotta tell ya, they are WAY rougher than anything on this board, so if you want to go there...let's go. But I am having fun just keeping it to pretty PG-level rated trash talking. You GU fans really need to get a thicker skin. You would not last 5 min in a UW/WSU, Alabama/Auburn, Texas/Oklahoma type rivalry arguement.

More wank, no content.

Who cares about any of those other schools "tough skin" or supposed prowess at "trash talk". That's like being the best at writing your name in the snow... just means you're full of piss.