PDA

View Full Version : The box score

Birddog
12-06-2007, 07:27 AM
Some of you would do well to read and maybe try to digest the info contained here.
http://gozags.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2007-2008/gonmb09.html

Birddog

CDC84
12-06-2007, 07:31 AM
One of the items that jumps out is that despite playing bad defense in the first half, GU's defense in the 2nd half, except for a few plays near the end, was pretty darn good. Unfortunately, GU's offense in the 2nd half was really no better than it was in the 1st half....a lot of it being influenced by Wazzu's terrific defense.

LAZAGFAN11
12-06-2007, 07:54 AM
WSU Turnovers: 16
GU Turnovers: 9

Folks, we shoulda won this game. Couple of Austin or Matt's shots drop and we would have taken the cake.

On the other hand, can you imagine how good we could be when we get those two guys back? Just wait Zag nation, just wait.

Ezag
12-06-2007, 08:06 AM

Folks, we shoulda won this game. Couple of Austin or Matt's shots drop and we would have taken the cake.

On the other hand, can you imagine how good we could be when we get those two guys back? Just wait Zag nation, just wait.

Right on all accounts. Matt, Daye and Pargo were like 4 for 30 or something around that. Couple of those drop and diff game.

Reborn
12-06-2007, 08:09 AM
Here is what I see. Zags defense was better than Cougars...which I felt was true when I watched the game, and inparticular in the second half. Kudos for Ray G. Zags had 9 turnovers against one of the best defensive teams in the country. This is a tremendous fact, and gives the Zags lots and lots and lots of hope. I loved Pargo's game last night against one of the better guards in the country. IMO Pargo outplayed Lowe and that was one very important match up. Zags go 11-12 at Free Throw Line. Also a very huge fact. Great shooting at the line Zags. Pendo and Downs had good shooting nights, got the ball to them when we were taking over the game and then stopped getting it to them in the last 5 minutes. Why? Pargo would have had more asssists if we had made some wide open shots. Our 3 gurds outplayed theirs. That's a huge fact because the Cougs have 3 great guards. We lost the game down low in the blocks. This is an obvious fact. Kuso and Sacre 0-5 and one rebound between them. That is pretty pathetic. Foster had a much better game than both Kuso and Sacre. Especially rebounding and defending. Am not sure why Few didn't go with him more. Maybe he will in the future.

I think the stats, in some areas are very positive, and I think in some ways the game definately shows some tremendous strengths of this Zag team. Pendo, Pargo and Downs will get better and better. Bouldin and Daye will as well. To me the future is very bright for our Zags.

Ziggy
12-06-2007, 08:15 AM
Our shooting % was that low and yet we only lost by four. Our defense kept us in the game when our offense didn't. That's a good sign in my book.

Zag 77
12-06-2007, 08:55 AM
12 for 13 (92%). Pargo much better there. Daye at least is consistent there even when his offense is not clicking.

PeninsulaDog
12-06-2007, 09:20 AM
Here's the stat that is just mind-boggling:

Last FG-WSU 2nd-00:29, GON 2nd-05:19

No field goals by GU for the last 5+ minutes of the game, and only one offensive rebound in the last five+ minutes -- that coming with 3 seconds remaining. Total evaporation down the stretch.

Zag79
12-07-2007, 12:02 AM

there really is nothing to debate as you said it best. the "cougar d" wasnt why we lost. 2 players that come up big didnt that game. they were missing open shots. 3 pters wide open, layups they normally make. overall it was a very competitive game and 1 bucket at multiple stages of the final 10 minutes and its a different game. congrats to the cougs yes, but we let one slip away more than anything.

zag67
12-07-2007, 08:07 AM
I agree with the defense being super and that if 1 or 2 of the shots drop, the outcome may have been different. But I think one of the main statistics that stares me in the face is the rebounds by the big men. Our big men (Robert, Kuso and Will) only had 2 rebounds in 31 minutes. In twice the time, Cogwell and Baynes had 18.