PDA

View Full Version : offensive schemes

quadcityzag
12-06-2007, 06:45 AM
When is Few going to learn how to set a play. We have no screens of any sort and its driving me crazy. 3/4 of the time we come down the court noone seems to know their role. It is like whoever drives it aned takes a shot and hopefully it will go in. I'll give all the credit io wazzu they played great defense but its been like this since Ammo was there or maybe even Blake. One guy decides to take it to the rack and hopefully he scores. I'm not trying to badmouth anyone but learn to set some screens. Great game though by both teams. Bouldin,Sacre or Daye didnt really score and we still only lost by 4. Hopefully we'll meet again in the eilite 8.

ZagMania
12-06-2007, 08:25 AM
I agree that when they run the flex our offense does a heck of a lot better, but I have a feeling that Daye and the other freshman don't quite have whole system down yet. While I love Daye when he is on the court its seems like our offense changes into more of a free flow, improvised offense.

Take St. Joes as an example. To start we had our regular starting five who all have been in the system for over a year and at the start it actually looked like we were running a complex system like the Zags are known for. Screens were freeing people up on the outside and a ton of easy buckets at the start. When we put Daye or Sacre in it just seems to change to something a lot simpler to me. Either we are just looking to force it into the post and use the size advantage, or we are doing simple pick and rolls. All the more reason why we'll be better come March in my opinion.

jbollaert
12-06-2007, 10:36 AM
I'd have to agree with QCZAG. Few is obviously a top level coach as we all know,but it does appear on many occasions that we are not sure what we are trying to do on offense. Sometimes it just seems like the are aimlessly passing to one another until someone decides they have to make something happen. When Heytvelt returns we are going to be real difficult to beat and I think we are playing hard, but I would like to see a little more of a scheme on the offensive end. We'll be fine though.

Ezag
12-06-2007, 11:03 AM
At times our offense does seemed lost and hesitant and like playing one-on-one streetball.

Zagme-totheleft!
12-06-2007, 11:08 AM
When is Few going to learn how to set a play. We have no screens of any sort and its driving me crazy. 3/4 of the time we come down the court noone seems to know their role. It is like whoever drives it aned takes a shot and hopefully it will go in. I'll give all the credit io wazzu they played great defense but its been like this since Ammo was there or maybe even Blake. One guy decides to take it to the rack and hopefully he scores. I'm not trying to badmouth anyone but learn to set some screens. Great game though by both teams. Bouldin,Sacre or Daye didnt really score and we still only lost by 4. Hopefully we'll meet again in the eilite 8.

just out of curiosity, do you think that this topic would have come up if we beat the Cougs by 10 or more. I wish I could have seen the game to understand your point of view, however, we shot what? 26% being generous (thank God we were on from the line). It seems to me like this would not have been an issue, correct me if Im wrong.

jbollaert
12-06-2007, 12:03 PM
That's the point exactly. We shot 26% because we had to take very difficult shots while trying to go 1 on 1. I'm not just reacting following the loss--I keep hearing about this complicated offense but I'm not sure whatit's all about. I still am a big fan and enjoy every game-almost but I think the sophiisticated offense is a stretch. Having made all these honest complaints, I have to say we are playing outstanding defense and that will pay off in the end.

doudney2therescue
12-06-2007, 12:29 PM
agree with you bollaert, after you retire we should hire you on as the offensive guru.

lawzag
12-06-2007, 12:54 PM
When we win, Few is an "offensive genius" or a "master"....
when we lose, its "when will Few learn how to set a play"....

when Austin scores 20, he's a "brilliant" shooter or "clearly the best player on the floor"
when Austin has a bad game (like last night), he "just kept chucking" or "doesn't know when to quit taking shots" or is "immature" or is "incredablity weak"

Somes I'm just shocked & appalled at how hot & cold posters on this board are......:(
Give me a break folks, its a game - there's always a winner and a loser. Yes, it's more fun to win, but you know what? sometimes you lose. Hopefully, you learn from your losses.

UberZagFan
12-06-2007, 01:30 PM
lawzag, Uber agrees with your sentiments. Too many contradictions.

With that said, Uber noticed that the staff made many good and effective adjustments on the defensive end that work while none of the adjustments made on the offensive end ever seemed to work. Maybe that has more to do with WSU's defense than anything else but is reason for some of the frustration.

And Uber just hopes that MB either stops being so streaky or goes on a season-long hot streak shooting.

Zag79
12-07-2007, 01:11 AM
to an extent you are right. BUT this season when we win its because the guys are hitting there shots and against the cougs they didnt. yet even in our wins (aside from uconn) our O seems so stagnent this year. its more of a holding the ball kind of thing im seeing as opposed to running plays and trying to score.

Zagme-totheleft!
12-07-2007, 05:29 AM

when Austin scores 20, he's a "brilliant" shooter or "clearly the best player on the floor"
when Austin has a bad game (like last night), he "just kept chucking" or "doesn't know when to quit taking shots" or is "immature" or is "incredablity weak"

Somes I'm just shocked & appalled at how hot & cold posters on this board are......:(
Give me a break folks, its a game - there's always a winner and a loser. Yes, it's more fun to win, but you know what? sometimes you lose. Hopefully, you learn from your losses.

there is not one thing on this post that is disagreeable. this sums up the last few days of posting, and it literally has been "appalling" to quote you, lawzag. If Daye had scored 18 and shot 7-21, there would not have been a problem. well put lawzag

MickMick
12-07-2007, 05:50 AM
just out of curiosity, do you think that this topic would have come up if we beat the Cougs by 10 or more. I wish I could have seen the game to understand your point of view, however, we shot what? 26% being generous (thank God we were on from the line). It seems to me like this would not have been an issue, correct me if Im wrong.

The point is, the Zags didn't beat the Cougs by 10, nor could they do so in 10 tries. The 26% isn't an anamoly. The Cougs are holding teams to 35% on average. Throw in a couple of freshman that don't know the flex and the number understandibaly drops to 26%.

I agree with the "jist" of this thread. "One on one" basketball works well in a playground or "up tempo" game. But playing a half court set requires set plays. The Zags scored off of the "Pick 'n' Pop" using Pendo and Downs. Then Austin came in and never passed under duress, opting to force shots instead. He is such a good passer too. He can get away with this against the chaotic transition teams, but his "style" is definately not the answer for a methodical defense like WSU.

Teams like Butler or WSU spell doom for the Zags until the youngsters learn how to employ the Zag offensive system.

Zagme-totheleft!
12-07-2007, 05:53 AM
The point is, the Zags didn't beat the Cougs by 10, nor could they do so in 10 tries. The 26% isn't an anamoly. The Cougs are holding teams to 35% on average. Throw in a couple of freshman that don't know the flex and the number understandibaly drops to 26%.

I agree with the "jist" of this thread. "One on one" basketball works well in a playground or "up tempo" game. But playing a half court set requires set plays. The Zags scored off of the "Pick 'n' Pop" using Pendo and Downs. Then Austin came in and never passed under duress, opting to force shots instead. He is such a good passer too. He can get away with this against the chaotic transition teams, but his "style" is definately not the answer for a methodical defense like WSU.

Teams like Butler or WSU spell doom for the Zags until the youngsters learn how to employ the Zag offensive system.

Ok, I understand what you mean, but I thought that it was understood that the Zags missed a handful of wide-open shots. I did not know that WSU was holding teams to such a low shot percentage, impressive.