PDA

View Full Version : You guys are really one year away

CougFan05
12-05-2007, 10:48 PM
If you look at your team, this team is loaded up for next year. Pargo, Downs, Daye, a healthy Heyfelt, Bouldin. Gonzaga has a lot of talent coming back next year.

gu03alum
12-05-2007, 10:48 PM
You guys are one year away from being irrelivent again.

CougFan05
12-05-2007, 10:52 PM
You guys are one year away from being irrelivent again.

With Tony Bennett, I beg the differ.

TheBeast
12-05-2007, 10:53 PM
Please remember that one poster's opinion is not every fan's opinion.
That being said, I don't think the Cougs are going away, and I know that this season just started for us, too.
Good luck the rest of the year.

wazZag
12-05-2007, 11:03 PM
We're not one year away, we're Heytvelt away.

As an alum of both wsu and gu, I'd be thrilled if Tony Bennett were around for the long haul. My practical side tells me that leaving after last year would have been foolish, he would have sold himself short as a head coach with 1 year of NCAA experience. Especially when the core of your team is returning, and probability is high that he'll have a similarly successful season. Payday will increase. I'd love to say the three year deal is be iron-clad, but being a sports fan as many years as I have makes me less than optimistic.

I say this only because it was brought up, great win for the Cougs tonight.

Zag4Hire
12-05-2007, 11:05 PM
If you look at your team, this team is loaded up for next year. Pargo, Downs, Daye, a healthy Heyfelt, Bouldin. Gonzaga has a lot of talent coming back next year.

Coming from a team that loses Low and Weaver. Hope you enjoy your demotion, Corporal.

El Voce
12-05-2007, 11:12 PM
Only a fool would write the Zags off for this season. We will bounce back, get healthy and be a mighty force in March.

If a few folks drop off the bandwagon, that would be great; there'd be more room to the rest of us.

darkness
12-05-2007, 11:15 PM

With your incoming recruting class, I beg to differ.

BroncoZAG615
12-05-2007, 11:16 PM
I would have to agree with Cougfan. But I think we are just a few players away. Adding Steven back to the guard set really gives us more depth when Matt plays the way he did tonight. I'm the biggest Matt fan around but he was forcing tonight and really struggled to get in the groove. Steven will give us depth and will be able to add the 'dagger' shot we need in clutch times...at least that is the way I see it through my Zag colored glasses.

Not even to mention Josh. I think with Josh down low we totally eliminate Baynes. He has to add at least 10 in that kind of a paced game. Now is no time to be upset. We are not a healthy team right now and by Christmas time I think this team will come into its own.

Depth is our key and we have not even reached our full depth yet. Lets not forget the wins against UConn and St. Joes. It's very very early yet.

Zag4Hire
12-05-2007, 11:18 PM
I I'm the biggest Matt fan around but he was forcing tonight and really struggled to get in the groove.

It's funny you mention that because the color commentator said several times that even though Matt was struggling, that at least he wasn't forcing it. He was contained. Period.

BroncoZAG615
12-05-2007, 11:20 PM
I was at the game and didn't hear the color guy. I just thought there were some drives he took that he didn't need and some of his dribble drives were ill-advised. He's a stud and will shine at Gonzaga but tonight wasn't his night.

theothegreat21
12-05-2007, 11:21 PM
First off, I dont think that WSU is going anywhere. With their system, and the way Bennett has begun to recruit, I think that the Cougars can maintain this great success they have been having. Congrats on a truly classy performance

In terms of the Zags, I dont think its about being a year away, but about getting some of our players healthy. I dont think there could have been a more clear example of how vital Josh being healthy is to this team. Not only could he have neutralized Baynes, but we could have had a player to go to at crunch time. I love Austin, and thought he acutally played decently today, but with Josh back we have a go to scorer, and a guy who can get doubled and open up shots for others

CDC84
12-05-2007, 11:23 PM
Josh Heytvelt is Gonzaga's best player and their only real low post offensive presence. Steven Gray is the best outside shooter on a team that has guards that can't consistently stick long range shots.

Those players are too important to rule out what Gonzaga might be able to do come March 2008. I do agree though that if everyone returns and no injuries happen, Gonzaga will be better next year than they'll probably ever be this season based on how players will improve over the offseason.

wuvillezag4
12-05-2007, 11:36 PM
We are a couple great christmas gifts away from being a top 10 team. Unfortunatly with our schedule this may be difficult, but with JH and steven in the lineup we are going to be doing some big things.

As far as you guys being around in the near future i think that will determine if little Bennett can do the recruiting. He was handed 1 to 2 quality NBA players and one hell of a backcourt. If he can bring in the player to continue this dominence it will prove him as a coach, I am anxious to see if that happens.

thebigsmoove
12-05-2007, 11:38 PM
Well of course, but Derrick Low and Kyle Weaver will not be back, they will go the the NBA and the cougs will be another afterthought again, bye bye 2 straight GU wins...its over, and the Zags will be not only final 4 contenders this year, but into the next two years. Our only weakness this year is depth at point guard, and we already got 2 pointmen locked up for next year and are working on Verdell Jones for a third, we may be national title contenders in two years. Watch out...oh and i do got the Recap for Wazzu and GU on my blog...

http://zagaholic.blogspot.com

Nevtelen
12-06-2007, 12:08 AM
It makes me kind of sad, actually - not that we'll be better after those 2 guys get back or that we'll be loaded next year (depending on who decides to leave) but that this game, which was so huge for both squads, wasn't played with a full deck. Not just in terms of 'oh we would have won with Heytvelt' (who knows for sure), but just doesnt such a great matchup deserve to be the best of each team vs each other? Next year, WSU will still be good, but you have to believe they'll take a dip with what they'll loose.

Oh well. That's sports I guess.

Baldwinzag
12-06-2007, 12:24 AM

Why would you assume we are we a year away? When healthy, you just listed the probable starters and integral players on THIS year's squad. I wouldn't write the Zags off just yet Cougfan. The season is young and so are our primary players. Plus, we have two of our top six players returning from injury while the newcomers are still learning how to play within our system. We can only get better...

As good of a win this was for WSU, I don't see the Cougs improving much over the course of this season, which will be unlike the Zags, whom have not even come close to reaching their potential. There is still much to determine what that potential will be, but I believe it is something very special. With that said, WSU's current team will garner much success on season and most likely win their conference, but will Wazzu hit a plateau by season's end? Only time will tell. Actually, your team is quite similar to veteran Zag teams of the past, where we'd reach our peak early in the season, play fairly consistent throughout, reach a high ranking, yet all the while showing very little improvement. Ultimately, fizzling out by the time the tourney rolls around.

Not this year's Zag team.

We have shown flashes of brilliance with this young and highly talented team, but obviously there is still a long way to go before we develop into a force come March. Here's to hoping our full potential is realized. :)

We'll see which team advances further in the tourney Cougfan, yet I can ensure you we are NOT a year away.

CougFan05
12-06-2007, 01:08 AM
Sorry, didn't mean to sound that your season is over. You guys will still have a great season, when Heyvelt gets back and totally healthy you will be a load to deal with. I think he'll struggle a lot when he gets back, just due to long lay off. But, I was just looking towards next year and if everything goes the way you plan, you'll be loaded and have maybe one of the top 5 teams in the country.

exiledhusky
12-06-2007, 01:22 AM

More like 3 weeks away when JH returns. His inside presence is sorely needed as evidenced at UConn and WSU.

ZagDaddy
12-06-2007, 05:37 AM
I still expect big things from the Zags this year but I have to agree with those who are saying that next year will be a much better year for us. Sure, we will have a lot of talent on the floor when Josh and Gray return but what really separated us from WSU tonight was experience. Our young guys need more under their belts. The Cougs experience and poise really showed down the stretch.

kitzbuel
12-06-2007, 07:34 AM
If Josh is in there and can convert just a couple of tough inside shots and bumps our FG % from 26% to 29 or 30% we win. We were hurt by not being able to take it inside at all.

TuckC
12-06-2007, 07:40 AM
Kuso's two missed put-backs/lay-ins show why Heytvelt would be nice. I think Baynes would have gotten way irritated by someone who could rebound and score with him/better than him.

As far a year from now, I am interested with next year's Cougars.

You lose Low, Cowgill and Weaver and will rely HEAVILY on Baynes, Harmeling and Rochestie.

Reborn
12-06-2007, 08:01 AM
Next year is a long, long way from today. I'm all about this years team (or teams). I'd say it was a good win for Coogs, and a good game for the Zags. I liked a lot of things about the way the Zags played. In fact all but the last 5 min.

zag944
12-06-2007, 08:25 AM
One year away from what? Being a 2 or 3 seed in the tourney instead of a 5 or 6?

Zaggy
12-06-2007, 09:08 AM
Was it painful game to watch (at least the last little bit)? Yes. Does it stink to have to go back to work with my tail between my legs? Yes. But come on people, let's show a little class on this thing.

"You guys are one year away from being irrelivent again." Totally uncalled for!

CougFan05- Good win and I look forward to the years to come!