PDA

View Full Version : Daye Highlights

4EVERaZAG
02-23-2007, 05:22 PM
Krem 2 News.com under Extended Highlights: Gonzaga blue-chip recruit Austin Daye. He looks real good.

http://www.krem.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/videoPlayer.php?vidId=123802&catId=218

GreenStreetElite
02-23-2007, 05:36 PM
Wow I can't wait to see this kid in a GU uniform. He has some long arms and his shot looked pretty nice.

FuManShoes
02-23-2007, 05:36 PM
Good footage, but I wonder if his body will be ready for DI ball next year. He looks incredibly thin, and I don't think one summer's worth of weight work will change that.

CDC84
02-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Don't worry....he'll be ready for D-1 ball, but he won't be as good as he can be until he puts on bulk. That'll take a couple of offseasons.

drew6236
02-23-2007, 05:54 PM
He looks very smooth...and very skinny. :-)

CDC84
02-23-2007, 05:57 PM
I know this sounds weird, but he seems skinnier on video than he is in person. Isn't it normally the other way around?

He grew like 5 inches in a year. He's still filling into his body.

tyra
02-23-2007, 06:11 PM
I was going to post some smart alec comment about how thin players cannot compete in D1, yeah, sure, like Micah! But then I watched the video. Boy, that kid DOES need to put on a little weight. Then again, he's going to be a great addition. We're going to the FF.

SunDevilGolfZag
02-23-2007, 06:12 PM
George Gervin was a tad skinny too

CDC84
02-23-2007, 06:14 PM
BTW...Austin has a huge game tonight in Riverside. Woodbridge is facing King High School in the 4th round of the CIF playoffs. Woodbridge beat Arlington on Tuesday night. Daye had 34 points, 14 boards and 8 blocks.

GonzagaLove
02-23-2007, 08:10 PM
The kid looks like he has a great shot. But, I didn't see him put it on the floor or take it to the hoop at all in that footage. If you watch some of Micah's highschool highlights, he seemed to be able to take the ball inside as well as shoot. This was just one game - I'm sure a 5 star recruit can take the ball to the hole whenever he wants to?

former1dog
02-23-2007, 08:23 PM
But, I didn't see him put it on the floor or take it to the hoop at all in that footage.

Are you sure you watched the same footage? Daye created his own shot in every single instance in that footage off the dribble and on 3 occassions took it all the way to the hoop.. (granted one was a breakaway, but he did do a nifty behind the back dribble to break down one defender)

Hit that link again GonzagaLove. ;)

sonuvazag
02-23-2007, 08:27 PM
I can't check the footage because I'm at work, but Daye's uncle on another post says that he basically plays one-on-five, which is what a lot of the five-star recruits are asked to do in high school. In this case, the challenge may be learning why sharing is fun.

former1dog
02-23-2007, 08:29 PM
FYI - Sonuvazag, Daye throws a couple of very nice assists right over the top of the defense in the footage as well.

sonuvazag
02-23-2007, 08:32 PM
Point taken Former1Dog,

And I've seen his stats including assists. I don't mean to call him a ball hog. I mean how fun it can be as a prodigy to finally be paired with equals/teammates who know how to share with you.

former1dog
02-23-2007, 08:34 PM
Looked to me like he was the primary ballhandler for his team. Kind of a point forward, so to speak. Looked to have really good handles. The opposing team was definitely overmatched.

sonuvazag
02-23-2007, 08:38 PM
How do you see him fitting in here 1 through 5?

former1dog
02-23-2007, 08:40 PM
How do you see him fitting in here 1 through 5?

I think CDC is right on. A true wing player (edited to add, I guess that would be a 3 :) ). Hit the open jump shot or take his man off the dribble. Great to have that kind of skill paired with that kind of height.

GonzagaLove
02-23-2007, 08:41 PM
Watched again. In the first ten seconds or so, he does drive to the hoop several times and looks very good. Think I may have missed the first little bit. Good to see!

former1dog
02-23-2007, 08:45 PM
Watched again. In the first ten seconds or so, he does drive to the hoop several times and looks very good. Think I may have missed the first little bit. Good to see!

Yep, he's going to be a dandy!

RebornZag
02-23-2007, 09:03 PM
He's not a 4 or a five. He's a typical gonzaga combo guard. Accept for one thing. He's 6'10" tall!!!:D What surprised me was his quickness, I mean it shocked me. The double and triple head fake crossover dribble jump shot. The guys guarding him looked like typical quick guards at 6'1" or so, and he was out-quicking them. What was a nice surprise was his jumpshot shot. I would have thought him to go inside more since he's 6' 10". He's already got the one and two dribble jump shots that Derek's been working on. It's nice 'cause Daye is 6'10" and will be able to shoot over many guards. I'm still thinking about how quick that pull-up jumper is. And he always head fakes once or twice before going into it. And he can go left, and most of the time he did, which is always the toughest way to go. So many guards can not dribble left and pull up jump shoot. Believe me. It's not easy. He'll contribute next year. I'm glad I got to see the video.

Zagdawg
02-24-2007, 07:47 AM
Daye looks good-- but who is feeding him-- Where's the COG when you need it--

sonuvazag
02-24-2007, 08:40 AM
poor Austin @ 6'10" only weighs around 190 pounds dripping wet. Darren (his dad) was pretty skinny too at that age but not quite that skinny. Austin has always eaten like a bird. When he was younger, we had to coax him into eating. I hope he will develop weight wise like his dad in college.

LOL. This was posted by Austin's uncle on another thread.