• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Butler Guy
    Kennel Club
    • Apr 2007

The annoying start

Tomorrow marks the beginning of the annoying time of year for Butler and it's fans, conference season. I am posting this here because I would imagine it is much the same for Gonzaga.

Below is a letter sent to essentially everyone in Detroit, but specifically those with even the loosest affiliation with University of Detroit Mercy:

Come watch the Titans take on #16 Butler!

The Detroit Titans Men's Basketball team will host 13th ranked Butler University
    on Thursday December 6, 2007 at Calihan Hall (Tip-off at 7:00 PM). The game will
    be televised LIVE on Comcast Local! Detroit Titan Athletics is offering a 50%
    discount on any ticket (regular prices: $10 & $12) for all UDM Alumni!

This discount is available only on game day at both Calihan Hall ticket windows
    (inside the North entrances). Alumni must either show their Alumni Association
    Card or print and show this email at the ticket window. Doors open at 6:00 PM.

Come join Titan Territory for a great evening of NCAA basketball!

PH: (313) 993-1700
    Email: [email protected]

I also received the following email today about the Roundball Luncheon. This was sent to the titan club list serve [email protected] from [email protected]

ROUNDBALL LUNCHEON

Please join Head Coach Perry Watson and other Titan Fans
    for the first Roundball Luncheon of the basketball season
    Thursday, December 6, 2007 at noon in the Ed & Brooks Room in Calihan Hall.
    Lunch will be provided by Qdoba Mexican Grill.
    The cost is $15 per person for lunch and a preview of
    that night's opponent, #13 ranked Butler University.

Please call 313-993-1700 or respond to this e-mail to
    RSVP for the luncheon.

GO TITANS!
    Everyone of our conference games is the other team's damned Super Bowl, it is beyond annoying. Do you have similar stories? The worst is the pathetic, chippy fans of 20-point underdogs. God, I hate conference season!

• ZagNative
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

No, I really don't feel that way about conference play, and I haven't detected that feeling among most other fans who post here. I love seeing every conference opponents' home court packed to the rafters. And there some great players in the WCC and some players we love to hate.

Comment

• BobZag
      Dark Lord of the Zag
      • Jan 2007

I feel exactly like Butler Guy and I've said so before but I'll reiterate it now. My favorites parts of basketball season is as follows--

Preconference (Nov & Dec, I enjoy the vast variety across the country)
      March Madness
      The Offseason (recruiting, pick up games, awesome summers, etc.)
      Conference (overall, it flat-out bores me)

I'm with you, Butler Guy.
      The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• Butler Guy
        Kennel Club
        • Apr 2007

Good, good

BZ,

Conference season bores me too and you have to go on the road 9 times and if you lose at anyone of those places, it is considered a "bad loss." I have long hoped that St Louis would push its way into the Missouri Valley, so that league would need another team. I'd be much more exited for conference time in the MVC than I am right now. I really don't like our league at all.

I bet you get some of this too, but I was just reading on Wright State's message board this guy's rant on how they have the team to win the conference this season. I mean, how delusional do you have to be? On the same day his team was getting blown out by Marist (whoever the hell they are), we were beating the crap out of Ohio State by 19. Mind you, this was just last Saturday. What is God's name would make a person think you could even stay within 20 at home, road, or on the moon?

Comment

• jim77
          Zag for Life
          • Oct 2007

St. Mary's?????? Should be an exciting game.

Comment

• frontrangezag
            Bulldog Fan
            • Jul 2007

Have to agree with Jim77. I am as pumped or more so for the St Mary's games as the other "big" games.

For tonight, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOOOOOGS!

Comment

• a13coach
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Butler Guy View Post
              Tomorrow marks the beginning of the annoying time of year for Butler and it's fans, conference season. I am posting this here because I would imagine it is much the same for Gonzaga.

Below is a letter sent to essentially everyone in Detroit, but specifically those with even the loosest affiliation with University of Detroit Mercy:

Everyone of our conference games is the other team's damned Super Bowl, it is beyond annoying. Do you have similar stories? The worst is the pathetic, chippy fans of 20-point underdogs. God, I hate conference season!
              Originally posted by ZagNative View Post
              No, I really don't feel that way about conference play, and I haven't detected that feeling among most other fans who post here. I love seeing every conference opponents' home court packed to the rafters. And there some great players in the WCC and some players we love to hate.
              Originally posted by BobZag View Post
              I feel exactly like Butler Guy and I've said so before but I'll reiterate it now. My favorites parts of basketball season is as follows--

Preconference (Nov & Dec, I enjoy the vast variety across the country)
              March Madness
              The Offseason (recruiting, pick up games, awesome summers, etc.)
              Conference (overall, it flat-out bores me)

I'm with you, Butler Guy.
              While conference play does not bore me I agree with ButlerGuy and BZ. It ticks me off that most, if not all, the other WCC teams ususally only sell out when the Zags are in town and play like it was the NCAA championship. The rest of the season they play like they are pacing themselves for the Zag games. St. Mary's seems to be the exception this year. Worst yet they play relatively weaker pre-conference schedules and do not fare very well. Maybe if they sucked it up, went on the road and played the big boys more often, and win the games they are supposed to win, for several years then conference play would be much better.
              I think they have the attitude that, "If we knock off the Zags then we are as good as they are and have arrived." I think they should go into every game as if they are playing the Zags, then they may get somewhere.
              There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
              Those who understand binary and those who do not.
              "Only a madman or an economist thinks exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world."

Func FOO
              sigpic
              E .· ` ' / ·. F
              The FOO fuels me.

Comment

• Nevtelen
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

I agree a13coach - it's not necessarily the conference play itself that annoys me, it's teams who can't win any OOC games and then base their entire season on beating GU at home. If (like St Mary's this year), those teams could actually play a decent OOC and win a few games, I wouldn't mind so much. I'm actually really looking forward to the St. Mary's games this year. But smack talk from most of the WCC? Please.

Comment

• Butler Guy
                  Kennel Club
                  • Apr 2007

That is exactly what Im talking about...

a13coach,

That is exactly what Im talking about...

Comment

• ZagNative
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

So I guess it's just me, Butler Guy. Who knew?

Comment

• BobZag
                      Dark Lord of the Zag
                      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Butler Guy View Post
                      BZ,

Conference season bores me too and you have to go on the road 9 times and if you lose at anyone of those places, it is considered a "bad loss." I have long hoped that St Louis would push its way into the Missouri Valley, so that league would need another team. I'd be much more exited for conference time in the MVC than I am right now. I really don't like our league at all.

I bet you get some of this too, but I was just reading on Wright State's message board this guy's rant on how they have the team to win the conference this season. I mean, how delusional do you have to be? On the same day his team was getting blown out by Marist (whoever the hell they are), we were beating the crap out of Ohio State by 19. Mind you, this was just last Saturday. What is God's name would make a person think you could even stay within 20 at home, road, or on the moon?
                      We experience the exact same thing. Do opposing teams hand out "Beat Butler" or "Beat the Bulldogs" t-shirts to all their fans, w/o one mention of their own team on them? Sub .500 teams are always yapping about how they are gonna win it all. Year...after...year...after...year. Ugh, I grow weary.
                      The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• Nevtelen
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagNative View Post
                        So I guess it's just me, Butler Guy. Who knew?
                        OTOH, I don't dislike the games themselves. They're fine. It's just all the hype that GU generates everywhere from mediocre teams that annoy me.

Comment

• Butler Guy
                          Kennel Club
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
                          We experience the exact same thing. Do opposing teams hand out "Beat Butler" or "Beat the Bulldogs" t-shirts to all their fans
                          Not only that, but the idiots wear them to games that Butler isn't participating in. Last February, Wright State and Milwaukee were playing on ESPN and when the camera man went to the WSU student section, the entire group was wearing their idiotic "Beat Butler" t-shirts. Butler was playing in Detroit that day.

Sub .500 teams are always yapping about how they are gonna win it all. Year...after...year...after...year. Ugh, I grow weary.
                          I get tired of the "our guards match up well with their guards" crap. Jesus, there is like 5 or 6 teams in the country that that is true for and one of those 5 or 6 is most certainly NOT in the HL!!

Comment

• zag944
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

While I think the "Beat the Zags" shirts and the fans that only go to the game against Gonzaga are somewhat...well, pathetic, it doesn't bother me. In fact, it is rather flattering.

We play 7 other WCC teams, and usually at least 4 of them give us a damn good game on the road. I think its good to be tested a few times in the conference schedule.

Comment

• zagirl2k
                              Kennel Club Alum
                              • Feb 2007

What bothers me the most about conference is how hard it is to get tickets these days. Most of the schools make you buy multiple game packages just to get the GU game and then still oversell the game. Then hardly anyone shows up for any of the other games all year. I was buying St. Mary's tickets during the Bollwinkel years when there were more GU than SMC fans but I'm not going to spend money on the entire WCC season for St. Mary's just to watch one game. I know it's a good marketing/money making ploy, but it's frustrating to someone who used to be able to get tickets pretty easily for the 3 Bay Area games and now can't (well we refuse to go to USF any more, parking is a disaster and it's just too much of a hassle all the way around getting over to The City and I don't want to give them any of my money).

Comment

Working...
                              X