PDA

View Full Version : Huskies R.i.p.

Stache
12-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Does anyone else sense that L. Romar is going to start hearing noises on Montlake? Jon Brockman is a horse and at this point a one man team. Romar ducks the Zags, can't keep the vaunted Class of 2006 in the fold for more than 9 months and now has one of the star recruits left in the cupboard. Pondexter is talented, but like the rest of the talent, he plays inconsisnently, lacks energy and does not seem to be developing under Romar. If they don't see the NCAA this March, the buzz won't be over the next recruiting class, it will be the chainsaw looking to cut L.R. loose.

I love the heat and rivalry with the Cougs, and I can respect the way they have rebuilt the program. Perhaps L.R. needs to "play a national schedule" because he'd be playing for 3rd in his own state.

TR11Zag
12-04-2007, 07:57 PM
One and done recruits have killed his team. They underacheive for the talent that they have. Bad coaching.....like their football team.

Stache
12-04-2007, 08:01 PM
I'm no Coug fan, but the arrogance surrounding one year of great achievement at Montlake is tough to take. It would be a great surprise if UW doesn't get hammered by the likes of WSU, Oregon, UCLA, USC, Arizona, Stanford and even Cal. Jon Brockman's back isn't big enough to carry Lorenzo to the NCAA's and a beautiful snub by the post season NIT might make L.R. long for a full house at Hec Ed (filled with Zags that is!)

Nevtelen
12-04-2007, 10:15 PM
They just gave Romar a 10-yr contract or something, didn't they? No way they cut him loose now - if nothing else, the financial hit would probably be pretty big. They'll have to stick with him and see if the next great recruits he brings in can somehow achieve something.

MedZag
12-04-2007, 10:19 PM
Huskies cancel contract with Zags... unranked and pitiful.

Cougs in contract with Zags with plans to extend... #6 in the nation and pulling in great recruiting.

Coincidence? I think not. We're only America's Team!

*places tongue firmly in cheek*

kdoggy
12-05-2007, 08:14 AM
I said it from the beginning, LoRo is not a great coach. He's not a bad one, he simply not among the elite and as consequence the Huskies will not consisently be among the elite teams. I look back to the old Pepp days. He was a hotshot UCLA assistant that scooped up some Pac 10 transfers and couldn't seem to to take them to the tourney (am I wrong? I don't think he took Pepp to the tourney). He was lackluster at St. Louis.

He then took over for one of the worst coaches I have ever seen in Bob Bender. However in his innaugural season, the Dawgs were terrible. The overall play was slightly better from a x and o standpoint, but you would often sit there and say, "what in the world are they doing?" And then the planets and players aligned. One guy decided to come over from the football team and they simply had a great group of guys with great attitudes. Lorenzo would roll out the ball and away they went. He certainly deserves credit for the success, because he did abandon the stagnant Half court sets and played pressure d and high octane offense. He had a nice core of finishers and shot makers. After the success along with his charismatic personality and aggressive recruiting (pizza anyone?) he able to bring in some recruits. I would say he was almost too good a recruiter in terms of landing players that the scout and rivals sites would drool over.
I think the problem with stacking your squad with these types of players is that if they are good, they're gone to the pros. If they're good and aren't getting 20 minutes a game by their sophomore year, they get unhappy and go elsewhere.

I think its important to recruit not only the Blue Chippers, but also find those guys that are unquestionably solid 4-year college players. I think the key is to always have a few Bobby Jones types to play with your young talent. It just seems the UW and many schools simply collect recruits without regard to how they will fit into the program long term or as the current situation with the UW is, the very short term.

BobZag
12-05-2007, 09:04 AM
Romar is the third best coach in this state and he coaches the third best team in this state. Their fans are ridiculous. One of my last visits to Dawgman I saw a big ol' thread titled--

"GOD WE'RE A FREAKING POWERHOUSE!"

It was right after Oliver committed. Oh yeah, Oliver was sooooooo much better than Bouldin, according to silly fans over there, just like how Romar would never offer a crummy player like Steven Gray a scholie. NelsonDudley was an a$$ on the Arizona boards but now has disappeared, and rightfully so.

I haven't been back there since.

If Brockman had come to Gonzaga, he'd have multiple chances to go to the FF. But he'll be an NIT guy now. Poor kid let relatives and coaching ties get in the way of a good, sound choice.

lothar98zag
12-05-2007, 09:19 AM
Portland St's gain is UW & Romar's loss...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Bone

sittingon50
12-05-2007, 11:06 AM
BZ, I'm thinkin' LoRo is behind Few, Bennett & Ray G. Probably Rice & Krause as well. Too early to tell on Earlywine.;)

Zagpower
12-06-2007, 09:47 AM
If Dean Nicholson is still alive, he'd be ahead of Romar as well.