PDA

View Full Version : Future Opponent Memphis

tyra
12-04-2007, 06:29 PM
Memphis vs. USC on ESPN right now (6:30 PM on Tuesday).

ZagNative
12-04-2007, 06:34 PM
Dickie V ....:confused: First mention of Duke I'm going to bail ...

tyra
12-04-2007, 06:47 PM
I've invented an after-market piece of equipment that attaches to TVs and mutes just Dickie V's voice wheneve he speaks. I figure I'm set for retirement.

cbbfanatic
12-04-2007, 06:56 PM
memphis plays real basketball like i play video game basketball, and i suck...

talented, but not very controlled or disciplined and definitely beatable.

ZagNative
12-04-2007, 07:02 PM
I've invented an after-market piece of equipment that attaches to TVs and mutes just Dickie V's voice wheneve he speaks. I figure I'm set for retirement.

Seriously, we should get WooHoo onto getting some kind of little pseudo remote control with Dickie V's face on it marketed. I would have to be huge as a Christmas gift next year.

BroncoZAG615
12-04-2007, 07:05 PM
At least Vitale and Shulman just gave Few and co. some love for playing tough OOC games just like Memphis.

USMC69
12-04-2007, 07:33 PM
Memphis not looking so good, down by 5 at the half. 0 for 6 from the line and 11 turnovers.
I think if they play like this they are doable.

tyra
12-04-2007, 08:43 PM
Awesome, baby, awesome. :vomit-smiley-007:

CDC84
12-04-2007, 09:06 PM
This was one ugly game, courtesy of Coach Floyd and his triangle and two that had Mayo faceguarding Rose all night, as well as another guy faceguarding Douglas-Roberts. The junk defense threw Memphis' offense off and kept the tempo from getting out of hand. And both teams turned the ball over like mad. Really ugly.

And yet Memphis still won versus a good team.

Mayo just put up one bad shot after the next late in the game. I know that the scouts love him, but I just don't get it. At least not yet. I've seen Eric Gordon play 3 times now, and he is just a better player than Mayo.

former1dog
12-04-2007, 09:06 PM
Not a style of basketball I enjoy watching, but it has worked very well for Memphis and Calipari.

TM27
12-04-2007, 09:21 PM
That might have been the best example of TEAM basketball I have seen in 10 years! Was that team USA out there? Old James Naismith rolled over in his grave tonight.

I love it when a fast break starts and 5 guys fill the lane against a lone defender, and the ball handler takes it himself. Or how about when a player (lets randomly name this player OJ) still pushes a fastbreak when it is only OJ vs 4 defenders. Seriously, OJ Mayo is all hype, with 1000 bad shots and an athletic layup. I have been force fed OJ Mayo for the last 3 years...this guy is junk, and belongs in the NBA! He looks like Kobe Bryant out there... and espn says holy shat he scored 70 points in a single (and then in small print it shows that he shot 3500 times, and had 0 assists).

Garbage... and others can call USC a good team. I see a bunch of men that may make some noise when they shouldnt (such as maybe they knock off a UCLA one time during the conference play) but will finish with more losses than wins in the pac 10. Any takers?

CDC84
12-04-2007, 09:39 PM
Garbage... and others can call USC a good team. I see a bunch of men that may make some noise when they shouldnt (such as maybe they knock off a UCLA one time during the conference play) but will finish with more losses than wins in the pac 10. Any takers?

I certainly wouldn't bet against you at this point. Perhaps I need to qualify what I said....USC may end up not being a good team, but there is no denying their talent. I mean, they took Kansas and Memphis down to the wire.

TM27
12-04-2007, 09:59 PM
I certainly wouldn't bet against you at this point. Perhaps I need to qualify what I said....USC may end up not being a good team, but there is no denying their talent. I mean, they took Kansas and Memphis down to the wire.

CDC - I was calling out all the ESPN analysts that continue to drink the kool aid. Memphis, and to a lesser extent Kansas, will definitely play ugly if they see the other team doing it. It spreads like wild fire...and soon no one cares about the W, they just want a top spot on the Sportscenter. Linda Cohn says, "and did you see Rose dribble between 30 defenders to dunk it"

I dont deny the talent USC has, just like one cant deny the talent team USA had, but if Floyd's idea of offense is 1 on 5. USC will be the most national covered crappy team since.... well since Duke last year, and Notre Dame football this year.

TM27
12-04-2007, 10:23 PM
The game tonight makes me think that Eric Gordon is the second best bet in the draft behind Beasley. Gordon reminds me of Gilbert Arenas, but not as eccentric.

CDC made reference to Gordon also, but i agree with both of you. Gordon and Beasley are in different leagues than the two we saw tonight. Doesnt mean these two cant catch up...but something will have to change first. For Rose it seems he needs to slow the game down (in his mind, not on the court)...experience should do this. Mayo needs to get over himself...once he starts getting others involved he may find it easier to drive on 1 or 2 as opposed to 3 or 4. If he does this USC will become a VERY good team!

I can see how these two let the hype get the best of them...tonights game was in a big arena and televised nationally. I can see how they could get caught up...but if I am a GM and in need of PG I take DJ Augustin...i know, i know sophmores arent in this debate...

exiledhusky
12-04-2007, 11:55 PM
[QUOTE=CDC84;118637]I certainly wouldn't bet against you at this point. Perhaps I need to qualify what I said....USC may end up not being a good team, but there is no denying their talent. I mean, they took Kansas and Memphis down to the wire.[/QU

It's early December, teams are still figuring the rotation, my guess, USC is too talented to roll over in the P10. Just on talent, I'd put them as my dark horse for the final four. It's never pretty against Memphis. If it ever is, Calipari will ream a few new ones.

MickMick
12-05-2007, 05:42 AM
Rose = out of control. Zags have a chance if they don't get pulled down to the street ball mentality. Mark Few was right....Butler is probably playing the best team ball in the nation right now. Such a huge difference watching Butler and USC.

baitcast
12-05-2007, 06:49 AM
Having watched St. Marys a couple of times I think we have to worry more about,this kid Mills and co. look very tough,talk sloppy that game last nite was something else.

Rubbadub
12-05-2007, 07:44 AM
That might have been the best example of TEAM basketball I have seen in 10 years! Was that team USA out there? Old James Naismith rolled over in his grave tonight.

I love it when a fast break starts and 5 guys fill the lane against a lone defender, and the ball handler takes it himself. Or how about when a player (lets randomly name this player OJ) still pushes a fastbreak when it is only OJ vs 4 defenders. Seriously, OJ Mayo is all hype, with 1000 bad shots and an athletic layup. I have been force fed OJ Mayo for the last 3 years...this guy is junk, and belongs in the NBA! He looks like Kobe Bryant out there... and espn says holy shat he scored 70 points in a single (and then in small print it shows that he shot 3500 times, and had 0 assists).

I wouldn't compare the two at all. OJ Mayo scoring 20 a game with a terrible shooting percentage is nothing like Kobe Bryant scoring 30 a game with a field goal percentage in the high 40's and averaging 5 rebounds and 5 assists.

CDC84
12-05-2007, 10:53 AM
The big differences between the two are that Pargo is a lousy at the free throw line for a point guard.

Pargo did shoot 73% from the foul line last year. I don't know if I would be willing to call him lousy quite yet. He's certainly being lousy at the moment. Granted, you would still like your PG to shoot 78% or higher. But what is going on this season with Pargo doesn't jive with what went on last season.

The key difference with Pargo this season is that he is playing almost every minute of every game. Last season he averaged around 33 MPG. He got rest because he had D-Rav who could run the team in his absence. He's getting absolutely no rest this season. I really do believe that fatigue is playing into some of his free throw issues, as it does with most players.

I think once Gray comes back that Pargo might get a bit more rest, but probably not enough. He's got to figure out a way to get that FT % up to where he had it last year. He's never going to be D-Rav, but he can at least be respectable.

cjm720
12-05-2007, 10:59 AM
I learned a few things: 1) USC should have definitely won that game, 2) OJ Mayo's not the most valuable player on his team (I think it's Hackett), 3) We have a legit shot at beating Memphis with Heytvelt in the lineup, in their house.

UberZagFan
12-05-2007, 11:12 AM
After watching that game, Uber knows he will not be interested in watching the WSU v. USC matchups. Uber suspects both of those teams would agree to turn off the shot clock if the PAC-10 let them.