PDA

View Full Version : OT - OJ Mayo vs. Derrick Rose tonight

CDC84
12-04-2007, 09:56 AM
The Jimmy V Classic from NYC begins tonight at 4pm PT with a game between Notre Dame and Kansas State. At 6:30pm PT Memphis and USC tip off. Both games are on ESPN and in HD.

In truth, Mayo and Rose might not be guarding each other since Mayo seems to be serving in more of a shooting guard capacity.

Who do you all think will win both games?

A couple of intiguing games tonight: North Carolina AT Penn (4pm, ESPN2) and Michigan State AT Bradley (6pm, ESPNU).

Holy Cross is at St. Joe's, UNC Greensboro at Va Tech, and Tennessee plays at Chattanooga.

DoggieDogpound
12-04-2007, 10:10 AM
I think Beasley leads Kansas St. to a close win, and Memphis handles USC.

former1dog
12-04-2007, 10:17 AM
I think Beasley leads Kansas St. to a close win, and Memphis handles USC.

Agreed.

I'll add that I think the Memphis v. USC game will not be close. Memphis will kill 'em.

LongIslandZagFan
12-04-2007, 10:42 AM
Agreed.

I'll add that I think the Memphis v. USC game will not be close. Memphis will kill 'em.

Out of the big 3 here are my impressions:

Beasley - I'd be amazed if he is at K-State next year. Definitely the real deal and should be a top draft pick this year. Solid all around player. Can get a little shaky on shot selection at times.

Rose - Lets his athleticism get the better of him at times but is a terrific offensive threat. There is room for improvement but I'd say he is a notch below Beasley (mind you most other players are several notches below these guys).

Mayo - I'm just not sold on. From the games I have seen, he tends to go all Kobe at times and stops playing the team game. But much like Kobe, he comes back around and gets back to playing the team game. I just haven't seen a game by USC where I felt he just blew me away. For me he is the last of the big three.

That being said... USC will spend a lot of time looking up at the scoreboard trying to figure out how to catch back up with Memphis. Memphis by 10 or 12 IMHO.

Zagpower
12-04-2007, 11:06 AM
Really looking forward to the Memphis-USC game. USC is an "uncomfortable" team to play and the type of team that could give Memphis trouble.

If OJ Mayo's decision making ability ever rivals his talent, he'll be a monster.
Every game he'll make a few highlight reel plays and just as many horrid shots and bone-head passes. He does have a great all-around game for a freshmen, appearing to be an excellent passer, rebounder, and defender but he takes some of the craziest ill-advised shots and that's keeping USC from being in the next tier up of good teams.

ZagMan in Philly
12-04-2007, 11:07 AM
The Jimmy V Classic from NYC begins tonight at 4pm PT with a game between Notre Dame and Kansas State. At 6:30pm PT Memphis and USC tip off. Both games are on ESPN and in HD.

In truth, Mayo and Rose might not be guarding each other since Mayo seems to be serving in more of a shooting guard capacity.

Who do you all think will win both games?

A couple of intiguing games tonight: North Carolina AT Penn (4pm, ESPN2) and Michigan State AT Bradley (6pm, ESPNU).

Holy Cross is at St. Joe's, UNC Greensboro at Va Tech, and Tennessee plays at Chattanooga.

I will be at the PENN game...want to check out that number rank team in person. Hopefully it wil not be a ROUT! Will DVR the Memphis game.
Memphis by a nose??? OJ will go off for 40 pts!

LongIslandZagFan
12-05-2007, 07:14 AM
Didn't get to see the KState game but the Memphis-USC game all but validated my opinions about Mayo and Rose.

Mayo will have a tough time functioning at the next level let alone this level with the attitude that he has. Is the ability there? Yes. Is the intelligence there? No, not even close to being there.

His attitude is horrid and his defense can be suspect at times, especially in a true zone. I think he put him up top on the triangle and two because he was worthless in a regular zone, getting beat and not making the effort to contest a close open shot. If he thinks he is just doing time at school to declare I think he will be sadly mistaken when he isn't anywhere near sniffing lottery pick and would be lucky to be a first rounder. He needs to pull his oversized ego-filled head out of his backside. Also, would it hurt him to even feign emotion on the court? He looks like he doesn't want to be there.

Rose is a solid team player but he sometimes is going 100mph when he needs to be going 55. Yes, I understand that you like to go coast to coast Mr. Rose but slow it down a bit and let your offense catch up or better yet keep control of the ball. IMHO it is that breakneck speed that hurts him more than helps him. He really needs to learn to control it and use it as needed. I will say this though... his attitude is much better than Mayo's and with some tutelage from Coach Calapari he'll do fine at this level and beyond.

GUinSTL
12-05-2007, 08:53 AM
So far, I've seen a little Mills, and he was damn good.
I've seen Eric Gordon in person at SIU, and I thought he looked outstanding and had a great head on his shoulders. It was like he was toying with the opponents out there.
And now that I've seen Mayo vs Rose, I have to say I'm disappointed in both of them, considering the hype. Wild, out of control plays again and again. Desperation shots from Mayo were sad. And maybe it could be received as a compliment somehow, but I was a little annoyed by how it seemed like a bother for him to have to play. No fun.
~B

CDC84
12-05-2007, 09:18 AM
I really don't know if you can make any harsh judgments regarding Rose based on last night's game because he was faceguarded all night in a junk defense that Floyd threw at him. That's something that is not likely to happen in the NBA very much. Faceguarding makes every player look bad, no matter how talented they are. See Mike Bibby and Miles Simon in that infamous elite 8 game between Arizona and Utah, or for that matter, what Brad Holland tried to do with Adam Morrison.

Also, Rose's job was do everything he could to try to speed up that game. That resulted in some immature, freshman-like decisions on his part, but he also delivered big time in one stretch late in the game where he stole the ball on 3 consecutive USC offensive possessions.

I am still very, very high on Rose, and feel he is a very rare prospect. I just think that the game of basketball doesn't deliver you many point guards that are 6-4 with that kind of quickness, athleticism and ability to withstand even the smallest ball hawk defenders. Most point guards that height struggle against intense pressure defense. He's also a team first player with a strong work ethic. He isn't flawless though.

On a side note....God couldn't have created a better player for the Gonzaga offensive system than Eric Gordon. He's an example of a guy who I would be willing to sign up, even for just one year.

LongIslandZagFan
12-05-2007, 10:09 AM
I really don't know if you can make any harsh judgments regarding Rose based on last night's game because he was faceguarded all night in a junk defense that Floyd threw at him. That's something that is not likely to happen in the NBA very much. Faceguarding makes every player look bad, no matter how talented they are. See Mike Bibby and Miles Simon in that infamous elite 8 game between Arizona and Utah, or for that matter, what Brad Holland tried to do with Adam Morrison.

Also, Rose's job was do everything he could to try to speed up that game. That resulted in some immature, freshman-like decisions on his part, but he also delivered big time in one stretch late in the game where he stole the ball on 3 consecutive USC offensive possessions.

I am still very, very high on Rose, and feel he is a very rare prospect. I just think that the game of basketball doesn't deliver you many point guards that are 6-4 with that kind of quickness, athleticism and ability to withstand even the smallest ball hawk defenders. Most point guards that height struggle against intense pressure defense. He's also a team first player with a strong work ethic. He isn't flawless though.

On a side note....God couldn't have created a better player for the Gonzaga offensive system than Eric Gordon. He's an example of a guy who I would be willing to sign up, even for just one year.

I agree, last night was not indicative of Rose's typical game other than the out of control at times mistakes. Mayo on the other hand...

CDC84
12-05-2007, 10:18 AM
BTW LIZF....I do agree with some of your finer points of your critique on Rose - especially the stuff about him going 100 MPH all the time. I would imagine with experience he will pick up the nuances of knowing when to push it and pull it back. Who knows how much of this he'll learn at Memphis since their offense is always go, go, go and go some more.

Both of us are on the same page with Mayo.

drnoe
12-05-2007, 11:07 AM
Rose is definitely the real deal. Unless Mayo starts doing things differently, he's not all that. That's not to say he won't have some monster games this season. The Trojans, however, are a very good team. Once they start to gel and fully recover from their injuries, I really see them finishing in the top 3 in the PAC-10. The players I really like for the Trojans are Hackett, Jefferson and Gibson. Nevertheless, our game with Memphis next month will be a barnburner, despite the sloppy play Memphis exhibited last night.