PDA

View Full Version : Philly Bulletin: Hawks-Zags Rivalry Grows

caduceus
12-04-2007, 01:57 AM
Zags get some love from St. Joe's. I hope we keep this rivalry going.

Article Link (http://www.thebulletin.us/site/news.cfm?newsid=19079443&BRD=2737&PAG=461&dept_id=618894&rfi=6)

"It's great to work with them because all it takes is one phone call to schedule a game and they're never looking to work an angle on you," said Martelli, in reference to high-profile programs that often ask schools to give them two home games for only one return trip. "I would rather recruit any day of the week rather than do scheduling, but they make it easy."

With both Martelli and Few being a mainstay at each of their respective schools, the Hawks and Zags have not seen the last of each other. The rivalry will eventually turn to chapter six.

As it should.

GoZags
12-04-2007, 03:58 AM
Great article that fully captures the mutual respect between the two programs.

CDC84
12-04-2007, 09:20 AM
This observer hopes that the series continues indefinitely. Martelli isn't leaving St. Joe's anytime soon, and as long as he is there, the Hawks will have good teams most years.

The Hawks are a nice team to bring into K2 every other year.

CDC84
12-04-2007, 09:26 AM
If the Zags do return to Philadelphia, the game will probably be played in the Palestra.

Due to the insane ticket demand for GU/St. Joe's game this season, I have to believe the idea of moving the Philly game to the Palestra when the teams do another home and home is coming from the Hawks. I'm sure the Zags wouldn't object because the Palestra is one of the greatest and most legendary basketball venues in the nation. It's a basketball landmark. The question is whether the Spokane game would be played at K2 or at Spokane Arena.

lothar98zag
12-04-2007, 09:31 AM
Due to the insane ticket demand for GU/St. Joe's game this season, I have to believe the idea of moving the Philly game to the Palestra when the teams do another home and home is coming from the Hawks. I'm sure the Zags wouldn't object because the Palestra is one of the greatest and most legendary basketball venues in the nation. It's a basketball landmark. The question is whether the Spokane game would be played at K2 or at Spokane Arena.
A game in the Arena is fine by me if GU can play in the Palestra.

Section 116
12-04-2007, 04:39 PM
I grew up just north of Philadelphia and much as Madison Square Garden is world reknowned for college basketball nearly anybody who is familiar with college basketball is well aware of the Palestra. The Big 5 in Philly (Penn, St. Joes, Villanova, Temple and LaSalle) form one of the most intense rivalrys in all of basketball. To this day the games matching memebers of the Big 5 remain some of the most hard fought in all of college ball. If GU was to play in the Palestra, I would agree with Lothar a return game in the Spokane Arena would be a fine thing.

If you are interested here is a link to everything you want to know about the Palestra:

http://www.pennathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=1700&KEY=&ATCLID=66183

Here is a link to the history of Big 5 Basketball:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Big_5

kitzbuel
12-04-2007, 04:49 PM
I would be stoked at them going to the Palestra if for nothing more than the fact that I could get tickets! And I could probably even bring my daughters and maybe even :eek: my wife. She thinks that sports are the work of the devil. (Not really, figuratively).