PDA

View Full Version : "Good" Wins and "Bad" Losses

former1dog
12-03-2007, 12:24 PM
Our RPI will start to come more into focus as the season wears on and becomes important as we vie for NCAA seeding status.

A lot of road to cover, but I'm guessing that so far, we have 2 "good" wins on our record so far, with a possible 3rd.

UCONN will be a tourney team. They've got all the tools and if they listen to their coach, can have a successful season. I saw a marked improvement from the UCONN team that I watched play Memphis vs. the one I saw on Saturday. I'm guessing they will keep on getting better and stop chucking up ill advised 3's.

WKU will be a tourney team and will end up with a good Wins and Losses record, despite their recent little hiccup.

St. Joe's has the possibility of being a good team. They have a great player in Calathes and also in Nivins. It remains to be seen if St. Joe's will have a good season or not.

I don't think TT will ultimately be a bad loss. I don't know if they are a tourney team. Most likely not. But, if they finish mid pack in the Big 12, I'll call it a neutral loss, rather than a bad loss from an RPI perspective.

Just some thoughts on this topic which will be discussed a lot down the road.

Here's how one expert see's the RPI currently:

http://www.kenpom.com/rpi.php

St. Mary's isn't doing to bad. :)

DX Drew
12-03-2007, 12:34 PM
assuming that heytvelt comes back healthy, the committee will take into account that he didn't play against texas tech.

former1dog
12-03-2007, 12:35 PM
assuming that heytvelt comes back healthy, the committee will take into account that he didn't play against texas tech.

Good first post! You are correct, of course.

Mr. Woo Hoo will be along some time to welcome you to the board properly.

rennis
12-03-2007, 12:45 PM
Here's how one expert see's the RPI currently:

http://www.kenpom.com/rpi.php

St. Mary's isn't doing to bad. :)

wow, St. Mary's SOS at #10 is pretty skewed since they have played most of those games at home. They'll probably end up with a decent RPI, but it won't be anywhere near that high before long.

I'm just hoping we can get our RPI up into the 20s and keep it there this year. It's going to be tough to do...

gozagswoohoo
12-03-2007, 01:09 PM

WELCOME ABOARD DX Drew!!!

Allow myself to introduce....myself...

I am woohoo, aka WooBallsHoo.

I'm pretty much the coolest guy on the board when it comes to pinball machines. I know this might seem a little "random", but its true. And for the record, I'm really not that "random". Once you are on the boards a little longer, you'll see that I am one of the more respected, smart, and informational posters here. Anyways, back to my pinball machines. I actually built a pinball machine back in 2nd grade, using nothing but scrap parts from my Atari set, and sac of potatos, and my sisters hair rollers. It was only about 2 and a half feet tall, but it was still fun. I called it "Sac of Balls". It was a great game! I played it for hours at a time! It would never sell on the mainstream market though, because "Sac of Balls" gets squished easily if you sit on it (cuz its so short, you dont see it). Plus, anytime someone would kick my "Sac of Balls", it would really hurt (their foot). The only reason I stopped playing with the "Sac of Balls" is it had a slight defect. If you would play with the "Sac of Balls" for a long time, but not WIN, the lighting effects would turn blue (this was a defect with the Atari section). Anyways, I really don't do much Pinball machine construction anymore. Every now and then I will make machines by request. Matter of fact, Former1dog once had me make a custom pinball machine that he wanted named "Skidmark Express". Then I made a custom machine for machine for LynetteG, it was called "I Have No Control Over Where My Nephew Goes To College, So Leave Me Alone" But my absolute FAVORITE pinball machine was the one I made for Rubaddub called "Why Do My Clothers Smell Like My Mom's Moldy Basement? Just Because I Live There, That Doesn't Mean Anything". That was actually a GREAT pinball machine. I wonder if he still plays it?

Anywho, WELCOME ABOARD!!!

DX Drew
12-03-2007, 01:14 PM
wow, St. Mary's SOS at #10 is pretty skewed since they have played most of those games at home. They'll probably end up with a decent RPI, but it won't be anywhere near that high before long.

I'm just hoping we can get our RPI up into the 20s and keep it there this year. It's going to be tough to do...

until a team plays ten games, an individual opponent boosts a team's rpi more than the team itself. in other words, an oregon win boosts saint mary's rpi more than a saint mary's win would. that's certainly not the case once a team has played enough games, but for now the rpi isn't all that reliable.

thanks for the welcome to the board. if i need any pinball advice i know where to come.

Rubbadub
12-03-2007, 01:36 PM
WELCOME ABOARD DX Drew!!!

Allow myself to introduce....myself...

I am woohoo, aka WooBallsHoo.

I'm pretty much the coolest guy on the board when it comes to pinball machines. I know this might seem a little "random", but its true. And for the record, I'm really not that "random". Once you are on the boards a little longer, you'll see that I am one of the more respected, smart, and informational posters here. Anyways, back to my pinball machines. I actually built a pinball machine back in 2nd grade, using nothing but scrap parts from my Atari set, and sac of potatos, and my sisters hair rollers. It was only about 2 and a half feet tall, but it was still fun. I called it "Sac of Balls". It was a great game! I played it for hours at a time! It would never sell on the mainstream market though, because "Sac of Balls" gets squished easily if you sit on it (cuz its so short, you dont see it). Plus, anytime someone would kick my "Sac of Balls", it would really hurt (their foot). The only reason I stopped playing with the "Sac of Balls" is it had a slight defect. If you would play with the "Sac of Balls" for a long time, but not WIN, the lighting effects would turn blue (this was a defect with the Atari section). Anyways, I really don't do much Pinball machine construction anymore. Every now and then I will make machines by request. Matter of fact, Former1dog once had me make a custom pinball machine that he wanted named "Skidmark Express". Then I made a custom machine for machine for LynetteG, it was called "I Have No Control Over Where My Nephew Goes To College, So Leave Me Alone" But my absolute FAVORITE pinball machine was the one I made for Rubaddub called "Why Do My Clothers Smell Like My Mom's Moldy Basement? Just Because I Live There, That Doesn't Mean Anything". That was actually a GREAT pinball machine. I wonder if he still plays it?

Anywho, WELCOME ABOARD!!!

Hey...

gozagswoohoo
12-03-2007, 02:26 PM
Hey...

Oops...was I not suppost to release that information Rub?

Rubbadub
12-03-2007, 02:38 PM
Oops...was I not suppost to release that information Rub?

For some reason you remind me of a young version of Former, Woohoo.

I'll have you know I haven't lived with my parents for quite a long time--since the day I left for freshman year of college. :D

gozagswoohoo
12-03-2007, 02:51 PM
For some reason you remind me of a young version of Former, Woohoo.

Well that's fine, because I'm pretty sure former1 is like really....really old.

former1dog
12-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Well that's fine, because I'm pretty sure former1 is like really....really old.

Yeah, I'm like,... ancient dude.

:(

sonuvazag
12-03-2007, 03:48 PM
Rub! Getting spoofed in a woohoo greeting is immortality smiling on you. Don't complain. Give thanks. Your great grandchildren will be getting ebay royalties someday.

Did Cobain complain when Weird Al said his lyrics were garbled like marbles in the mouth? No.

Nice job on the "beat novel" about your trip to boston.

Rubbadub
12-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Rub! Getting spoofed in a woohoo greeting is immortality smiling on you. Don't complain. Give thanks. Your great grandchildren will be getting ebay royalties someday.

Did Cobain complain when Weird Al said his lyrics were garbled like marbles in the mouth? No.

Nice job on the "beat novel" about your trip to boston.

Thanks! I could've done much better but I remembered certain unnamed posters getting ridiculed for making overly long posts. :)

lothar98zag
12-03-2007, 04:44 PM
...I don't think TT will ultimately be a bad loss. I don't know if they are a tourney team. Most likely not. But, if they finish mid pack in the Big 12, I'll call it a neutral loss, rather than a bad loss from an RPI perspective...

Odds are TT will finish in the Top 100 of the RPI. Losses to Top 100 RPI teams are not considered bad losses.

former1dog
12-03-2007, 04:51 PM
Odds are TT will finish in the Top 100 of the RPI. Losses to Top 100 RPI teams are not considered bad losses.

Agreed. Fingers crossed.

lothar98zag
12-03-2007, 04:57 PM
Agreed. Fingers crossed.
Between 2002-2007, TT finished outside the RPI Top 100 once: http://kenpom.com/

former1dog
12-03-2007, 04:58 PM
Between 2002-2007, TT finished outside the RPI Top 100 once: http://kenpom.com/

Gotta like those odds.

Thanks for the home work.