PDA

View Full Version : Early thoughts on the game Wed. with the Cougs.

Reborn
12-03-2007, 10:00 AM
Alright. We've survived a tough road trip and are back home. I think the road really toughened up the Zags. They will need to be dang tough to battle the Cougs from WSU. I am so glad both teams are in the top 20. I love this rivalry because I'm an older Zag who went to school in the late 60's. This rivalry goes back at least that far. It was ALWAYS the BIG game of the year. It's nice to see Eastern Washington taking over the basketball world in Washington.

This was a very pivitol game last year and I think it could be as well this year too. Right now I think the game is even. But it's only Monday. Cougs rated 6th last week. They have alll their guys back. Zags play at home. To me the difference in this game will be K2 and the Kennel Club. I really hope to hear a lot from the Kennel club GUBoard members this week. I already read that some of the students have already been camping out. Is that true. I just love the Kennel Club gang.......and YOU GUYS HAVE GOT TO BRING YOUR A GAME.

former1dog
12-03-2007, 10:01 AM
WE'RE DOOMED!

I'm not kidding this time.

:(

rennis
12-03-2007, 10:09 AM
WE'RE DOOMED!

I'm not kidding this time.

:(

gonna have to disagree with ya. I watched the Cougs play Baylor and while they won, barely, it was not an impressive win. The Cougs are beatable...and they know it. And they know we're hungry for this game...they have the target on their back...GU needs to step up and play like the Giant Killer teams of the past.

If the crowd can be like it was against UW last year, I have a feeling this one's going GUs way.

former1dog
12-03-2007, 10:24 AM
I hope you're right, Rennis.

WSU plays the style of ball, though, that we've always had problems with and they should be coming in confident for this game. That ball control offense and extremely good defense will give us fits.

I honestly think they may lay a whooping on us, but I hope I'm wrong.

zagco
12-03-2007, 10:28 AM
At Boise State, the Cougs were methodical. Highly patient and system-oriented. The Broncos gave them a scare early into the second half, leading by double digits at times, but the WAC brand of ragged, athletic basketball could not overcome superior talent and the Cougar scheme. Gonzaga has vastly superior talent to Boise State, so Zagco expects that the real issue in this game will be which team is able to force the other team to play at a pace that is uncomfortable, which is Jerry Tarkanian's fundamental secret to winning basketball games--play at a pace, whatever that pace might be, that is not comfortable for your opponent.

ZagNative
12-03-2007, 10:35 AM
I posted this on the game minutes thread, but it's relevant here as well.

by John Gasaway and Ken Pomeroy had this to say in today's Basketball Prospectus (http://basketballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=60):

John: People still think "Washington State" means strong D and weak offense. No longer. The Cougs weren't exactly Arizona last year but they cleared a point per trip with ease in the Pac-10. Not to mention they needed plenty of offense to win a really slow game at Baylor Friday night.

Ken: Nobody has come close to keeping WSU below the point-per-possession threshold yet this year. Could Gonzaga be the first this week? It would be a nice defensive feather in their cap, though they struggled a bit against UConn. Then again, the Huskies were unusually hot on threes in the first half and the Zags' Austin Daye missed three-quarters of the game. For their D to be halfway decent, Gonzaga needs Mr. Daye playing 30 minutes and continuing to have an impact on the defensive end.

John: Ken, you realize you just used "halfway decent" in reference to Gonzaga's defense. What's next? "Big Ten" and "recklessly fast"?

rennis
12-03-2007, 10:44 AM
haha, good stuff ZN ^

The Cougs are going to get points, I have no doubt about that. Low, Weaver...tough to stop. We just gotta keep track of their other players and limit their productivity. IIRC Harmeling or Baynes almost single-handedly beat us down the stretch last year. We can't let that happen.

Baylors guards gave WSU fits. If our gaurds play up-tempo in the half-court (without turning the ball over!) we should have a good shot at getting the W.

BobZag
12-03-2007, 10:58 AM
UConn and St. Joe's is now in the past. The #6 team in the nation is coming to K2. It's the first time in both school's history that both teams will be ranked. The combined record is 14-1. Some will try to liken this game to the UW-GU game last year, but UW was a #8 fraud while WSU is a legit #6. The Cougs have had the guts to go on the road and pull out W's, most recently at Waco, TX, for a W over Baylor.

To me, this Coug-Zag game boils down to this:

Experienced veterans vs youthful talent.

Derrick Low is the heart of this Wazzu squad, he'll make the shots in crunch time. Kyle Weaver is the soul of the team, with his defense and all around game. Robbie Cowgill is the glue guy who gives them a mid-range to inside game. All three are seniors, in their 4th year playing together. Davon Harmeling is in his 4th year in Pullman but he redshirted so he's listed as a RS junior; Davon is a good outside shooter and has learned to go mid-range. Big Aron Baynes is an Aussie junior in the mold of a Batista but perhaps just a half-notch below JP, but still, a big, skilled body inside. Taylor Rochestie is a sparkplug, imo, someone who can do many of the things Low can do, ie, shoot, drive, play the 1 or the 2. Nick Kap (I'll call him NK) is still finding his game after an ACL tear last year but he has the potential to be a bigger vesion of Rochestie, that's been my impression thus far.

The Cougs are well-coached and disciplined. They are also defensive-minded but Tony Bennett has loosened the offensive reins from his father's style, and WSU is obviously enjoying the freedom. They are a cohesive unit, have played and lived and practiced together for 4 years.

Gonzaga has one player who has been a Zag for 4 years: Pendo. You will not see any freshmen on the court for Wazzu, you'll see two frosh out there for the Zags. Pargo is a junior. Matt, Micah, Kuso, LG, two years playing together max, closer to 1.5 years.

You get the idea.

And nobody I am aware of is injured for the Cougs.

But, imho, I believe Few has more overall talent, albeit youthful. And the K2 advantage is worth something. Lots of "ifs" but--

IF the Zags build and improve on their East Coast Swing...
IF the Zags play all-out and smart for 40 minutes...
IF the Zags execute and thusly overcome WSU's defense...
IF the Zags play defense like RayG wants them to...
IF the Zags' talent trumps the Cougs' veteran experience...

Zags will win.

The Kennel Club must bring their A-Game, and that includes the first few minutes of the 2nd-half, a time when there has been silent lapses. Old farts need to do more than watch and more than clap politely like golf galleries, too.

May The Force be with us.

75Zag
12-03-2007, 11:03 AM
I am going to be waiting to see how the Bulldogs handle Cowgill. I think GU may have trouble matching up against him. Hope I am wrong.

surfmonkey89
12-03-2007, 11:12 AM
This old fart will be there, and if any of my fellow...farts...are sitting on their hands I might have to break out the whuppin' stick.

This is gonna be a tough one.

rennis
12-03-2007, 11:18 AM
This old fart will be there, and if any of my fellow...farts...are sitting on their hands I might have to break out the whuppin' stick.

hell yeah, get those old farts rockin'!

gamagin
12-03-2007, 11:23 AM
will turn out to be the 6th man here and we will beat WSU by 4-6 pts.

There is no way to motivate either team at this juncture, but there is a way to motivate the players during the game. And we in the KC and in the seats, hold that hand.

I hope for WSU's sake they know how to lip read because communications is going to be difficult.

So is this game. But we are prepped and barring any injuries, we will prevail this night.

We may miss more shots but that will be because we will be taking more.

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed. - Michael Jordan

MDABE80
12-03-2007, 11:24 AM
Even if we could get some SRO tickets, I know there would be thousands of the OF's there. OF's know how to make noise. Years of experience I guess..

rennis
12-03-2007, 11:26 AM
I am going to be waiting to see how the Bulldogs handle Cowgill. I think GU may have trouble matching up against him. Hope I am wrong.

I was marveling at Cowgill's first step during the Baylor game. Very fast for a big man. If they play smart, and they will, anytime they see Kuso on him they're going to feed it to him in the post. I can see Cowgill getting Kuso in foul trouble easily...

zagster318
12-03-2007, 11:27 AM
UConn and St. Joe's is now in the past. The #6 team in the nation is coming to K2. It's the first time in both school's history that both teams will be ranked. The combined record is 14-1. Some will try to liken this game to the UW-GU game last year, but UW was a #8 fraud while WSU is a legit #6. The Cougs have had the guts to go on the road and pull out W's, most recently at Waco, TX, for a W over Baylor.

To me, this Coug-Zag game boils down to this:

Experienced veterans vs youthful talent.

Derrick Low is the heart of this Wazzu squad, he'll make the shots in crunch time. Kyle Weaver is the soul of the team, with his defense and all around game. Robbie Cowgill is the glue guy who gives them a mid-range to inside game. All three are seniors, in their 4th year playing together. Davon Harmeling is in his 4th year in Pullman but he redshirted so he's listed as a RS junior; Davon is a good outside shooter and has learned to go mid-range. Big Aron Baynes is an Aussie junior in the mold of a Batista but perhaps just a half-notch below JP, but still, a big, skilled body inside. Taylor Rochestie is a sparkplug, imo, someone who can do many of the things Low can do, ie, shoot, drive, play the 1 or the 2. Nick Kap (I'll call him NK) is still finding his game after an ACL tear last year but he has the potential to be a bigger vesion of Rochestie, that's been my impression thus far.

The Cougs are well-coached and disciplined. They are also defensive-minded but Tony Bennett has loosened the offensive reins from his father's style, and WSU is obviously enjoying the freedom. They are a cohesive unit, have played and lived and practiced together for 4 years.

Gonzaga has one player who has been a Zag for 4 years: Pendo. You will not see any freshmen on the court for Wazzu, you'll see two frosh out there for the Zags. Pargo is a junior. Matt, Micah, Kuso, LG, two years playing together max, closer to 1.5 years.

You get the idea.

And nobody I am aware of is injured for the Cougs.

But, imho, I believe Few has more overall talent, albeit youthful. And the K2 advantage is worth something. Lots of "ifs" but--

IF the Zags build and improve on their East Coast Swing...
IF the Zags play all-out and smart for 40 minutes...
IF the Zags execute and thusly overcome WSU's defense...
IF the Zags play defense like RayG wants them to...
IF the Zags' talent trumps the Cougs' veteran experience...

Zags will win.

The Kennel Club must bring their A-Game, and that includes the first few minutes of the 2nd-half, a time when there has been silent lapses. Old farts need to do more than watch and more than clap politely like golf galleries, too.

May The Force be with us.

At least we're not doomed!

FuManShoes
12-03-2007, 11:43 AM
I wonder if the Zags will play more man D than they did against UCONN, given that WSU has several guys who shoot the three well and the Zags got burned by it last year (GU dared UCONN to shoot over a zone, knowing that wasn't their strong suit). Also, the Zags will need to really search for good shots, because I have a feeling the Cougs will do what Texas Tech did -- hound Pargo and Bouldin and pack the paint. This one may come down to Kuso and Sacre keeping Baynes and Cowgill at bay, or at least making it tough to get the ball into those guys. Some of the GU guards will need to have big games from outside to offset the Cougs packing it in, i.e. I don't see Kuso scoring 19 like he did against VTech. And Low may shut down Pargo due to their relatively comparable size, but Bouldin should have an advantage on Rochestie. Post that dude up! Bottom line: Zags will need to take advantage of what WSU gives them in the half-court (not exactly GU's specialty), because there won't be any fast break thrills.

HOOTER
12-03-2007, 11:47 AM
The key to this game, in my opinion, is simple. Gonzaga needs to play Gonzaga basketball. They absolutely will not beat the Coug's at their own game. If the Zag's play a highly intense 40 minutes of basketball and not allow the Coug's to control the tempo they will surely prevail. In a slow paced low scoring defensive battle the Coug's win every time. The Zag's need to be aggressive, go full throttle and make the Coug's head's spin. Of course, Wazzu's game is not one dimensional, so a strong showing on the defensive end will be a necessity as well. I would look for Gurganious to get a fair amount of minutes in this game. I think home court is good for a couple of points, and with a close game being likely, an obnoxiously loud home crowd could help make the difference.

former1dog
12-03-2007, 11:50 AM
At least we're not doomed!

Oh, we're doomed. Bob just put it in long form this time. ;)

former1dog
12-03-2007, 11:53 AM
UConn and St. Joe's is now in the past. The #6 team in the nation is coming to K2. It's the first time in both school's history that both teams will be 'ranked. The combined record is 14-1. Some will try to liken this game to the UW-GU game last year, but UW was a #8 fraud while WSU is a legit #6. The Cougs have had!! the guts to go on the road and pull out W's, most recently at Waco, TX, for a W over Baylor.

See, I told ya!

(sorry Bob, delete if this bothers you.)

roxdoc
12-03-2007, 11:54 AM
At Boise State, the Cougs were methodical. Highly patient and system-oriented. The Broncos gave them a scare early into the second half, leading by double digits at times, but the WAC brand of ragged, athletic basketball could not overcome superior talent and the Cougar scheme. Gonzaga has vastly superior talent to Boise State, so Zagco expects that the real issue in this game will be which team is able to force the other team to play at a pace that is uncomfortable, which is Jerry Tarkanian's fundamental secret to winning basketball games--play at a pace, whatever that pace might be, that is not comfortable for your opponent.

In recent years WSU has always forced us to play at their tempo and we have not done well, even when we won.

BobZag
12-03-2007, 11:55 AM
I view individual matchups as follows--

Pargo-Low
Bouldin-Rochestie
Downs/LG-Weaver/Harmeling/NK
Pendo-Cowgill/Forrest
Sacre/Kuso-Baynes

Bouldin and Downs-Harmeling and KP.

Bennett will likely want Weaver on Daye but I'd like to see our frosh take on Cowgill on the offensive end. Also, I can see LG guarding Low, Rochestie, Harmeling or Weaver, and vice-versa.

All this said, it will be Team Defense and Team Offense that counts most, not really individual matchups. But GU's backcourt could post-up the smaller WSU backcourt, particularly Bouldin.

Zaginhidding
12-03-2007, 12:03 PM
See, I see the game being decided at the PG position. Pargo worried me a bit in Alaska, but has turned a 180 on the East Coast trip. He had one of his best games as a Zag against Uconn and I hope that transfers to Wednesday night. Low is one of the best in the land...BAR NONE!!! This should be a great matchup to watch.

I still think we need to bring in LG to give Pargo some minutes away from Low to be affective though. Remeber Stuckey against LG?

I can see the Zags playing a suffocating D on Wazzu all night long. Playing with what is sure to be a VERY LOUD crowd and a chip should be enough to push the Zags past the Cougs.

Zags 69 Cougs 64

HOOTER
12-03-2007, 12:10 PM
Old farts need to do more than watch and more than clap politely like golf galleries, too.

Amen. It seems as though there are allot of season ticket holders that purchased season tickets just because they could (I actually know a few, I won't name any names). I vaguely remember Ammo once expressing his distaste for spectators in the crowd sitting on their hands. I will spend that particular evening at the Swinging Doors, yelling at the TV over a burger and a cold brew. It's a distant second to actually being there, but I'll take what I can get.

MedZag
12-03-2007, 12:14 PM
TOs are killer because of how much time WSU can eat up with those extra possessions. We need to take care of the ball like crazy.

CougFan05
12-03-2007, 12:59 PM
[QUOTE=BobZag;117482]

Bennett will likely want Weaver on Daye but I'd like to see our frosh take on Cowgill on the offensive end. Also, I can see LG guarding Low, Rochestie, Harmeling or Weaver, and vice-versa. QUOTE]

I bet when Daye comes in, they switch Cowgill on him and get Weaver on Pargo. Cowgill is very quick, so I believe he can guard Daye outside the key. I think they want to keep Weaver on Pargo because Weaver's length will give Pargo fits and his quick hands.

zagster318
12-03-2007, 01:09 PM
See, I told ya!

(sorry Bob, delete if this bothers you.)

It's like the Davinci Code!

rennis
12-03-2007, 01:19 PM
In recent years WSU has always forced us to play at their tempo and we have not done well, even when we won.

exactly. We can't play their tempo. We haven't played our tempo against them in years. A testament to their coaching and improved player ability, but nonetheless, this will be a coaching battle of wills. WSU will miss some long shots...badly missed long shots should open us up for potential fast break points. Those could prove valuable.

rennis
12-03-2007, 01:22 PM
Bennett will likely want Weaver on Daye

I actually like this matchup a lot. Weaver is a great defender, but Austin's confidence to get his shot makes me like the matchup anyway. Especially since Weaver is a finesse guy, and I can see Daye playing well against him.

GreenStreetElite
12-03-2007, 01:47 PM
I think its going to be a great game, but so far this year the Cougars havent been playing all that well, yes they are winning but they have been sloppy at times. I think both teams are coming in ready for a battle but I think its going to come down to foul trouble and depth. Both teams have had their bigs in some early foul trouble lately and I think this game may come down to which team stays out of trouble. All that said I think this game is a toss up and I think it will be one for the ages, maybe even an instant classic.

jbslicer
12-03-2007, 02:12 PM
Section 114, upper deck is the worst section for old farts. No one stands when Zombie Nation starts. If you sit in this section, you need to get off your butt.

cougs4ever
12-03-2007, 02:18 PM
Amen. It seems as though there are allot of season ticket holders that purchased season tickets just because they could (I actually know a few, I won't name any names). I vaguely remember Ammo once expressing his distaste for spectators in the crowd sitting on their hands. I will spend that particular evening at the Swinging Doors, yelling at the TV over a burger and a cold brew. It's a distant second to actually being there, but I'll take what I can get.

Is Swinging Doors taking reservations for the game??

Fizzie's is not, but it may not be fun enough.

Reborn
12-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Recently, Mark Few stated that he'd put his 3 guards (Pargo, Bouldin & Downs) against any 3 guards in the country. I really, really, like that....especially coming from Few. I think Bouldin is a rising star, much the same way Lowe was last year for WSU. I really have to believe that Pargo is going to very difficult for the Cougs to control. The "NEW" Pargo has arrived, and I am so looking forward to him playing Wednesday.

Ivory Clark has graduated from WSU and the Cougs will miss his athleticism and zeal. I really liked Clark last year. Zags MUST defend the 3 better than we did last year. That, in the end, is what did us in. Zags improved defense this year, has been making a huge difference, and it will again on Wednesday.

HOOTER
12-03-2007, 02:54 PM
Is Swinging Doors taking reservations for the game??

Fizzie's is not, but it may not be fun enough.

Yes, but it's probably too late. Your best bet is to get there early. I've spent many a game standing next to the ATM watching the game on the big projector screen. Aside from all the people asking you if your in line for the bathroom it's better than having to listen to the game on the radio.

HOOTER
12-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Recently, Mark Few stated that he'd put his 3 guards (Pargo, Bouldin & Downs) against any 3 guards in the country. I really, really, like that....especially coming from Few. I think Bouldin is a rising star, much the same way Lowe was last year for WSU. I really have to believe that Pargo is going to very difficult for the Cougs to control. The "NEW" Pargo has arrived, and I am so looking forward to him playing Wednesday.

Ivory Clark has graduated from WSU and the Cougs will miss his athleticism and zeal. I really liked Clark last year. Zags MUST defend the 3 better than we did last year. That, in the end, is what did us in. Zags improved defense this year, has been making a huge difference, and it will again on Wednesday.

The Coug's hit 8 three's in the second half last year. They shot just below 48% from the arc. This can't happen again. That, along with turnovers (WSU-7, GON-17) is to blame for Gonzaga's loss. Taking care of the ball and perimeter defense must both be high priorities if the Zag's want redemption. That being said, I am confident in the ability of Gonzaga's back court to do what needs to be done.

BobZag
12-03-2007, 03:15 PM
[QUOTE=BobZag;117482]

Bennett will likely want Weaver on Daye but I'd like to see our frosh take on Cowgill on the offensive end. Also, I can see LG guarding Low, Rochestie, Harmeling or Weaver, and vice-versa. QUOTE]

I bet when Daye comes in, they switch Cowgill on him and get Weaver on Pargo. Cowgill is very quick, so I believe he can guard Daye outside the key. I think they want to keep Weaver on Pargo because Weaver's length will give Pargo fits and his quick hands.

That's what I thought, at least when GU is on offense. I think Daye is capable of getting Cowgill in foul trouble because Austin is so offensive minded and drives it well. But to be fair, Daye has not yet learned how to not foul so not sure who he'll guard on D, and Cowgill is a crafty senior.

Re: Weaver on Pargo, it makes sense. Teams would do that to Raivio and Derek just lacked strength and quickness to overcome a guy like Weaver, or like UW's Bobby Jones. But Pargo is very strong and likes to drive it, unlike Raivio. Plus, if Weaver is on Pargo, that gives Bouldin and Downs a huge size advantage, and Few will be posting them up on guards like Low or Roch.

Interesting stuff.

xjzico
12-03-2007, 03:21 PM
I can see Cowgill getting Kuso in foul trouble easily...

Rennis, I share similar thoughts. We need a bit more out of Kuso for this game. Though Sacre has played well lately I'm not sure he alone can handle the Cougs bigs for long stretches.

So I'm going out on a limb to say the Zags can't let WSU exploit the lack of depth at the guard position or force GU to go with youth, or short, in the post.

What I'd love to see is Downs really get it going (he's due) to stretch out WSU. What do people see as his match up? Weaver or Rochestie?

Ezag
12-03-2007, 03:21 PM
I have watched many of the Coug games this year including 3 in a row at the arena last weekend.

My take on it is that WSU is a solid fundamental team. They don't make too many turnovers or rush their shots. They are very poised and seem just as comfortable with a 2 point lead as they do with 20. They play great defense and do not give up the easy shot.

Cowgill is solid, high energy and motivated. Baines is a big thick skinned player who takes care of the middle, Low doesn't turn over the ball and even on a bad shooting night can come alive just at the right moment to burn you. Taylor Rochestie is a spark plug who is quick and good shooter. Weaver is a skilled take it to the hole player who can make an impact.

I think the Zags that showed up against St Joe's and UConn can win.

siliconzag
12-03-2007, 04:17 PM
1) There is nothing, absolutely nothing lower than a Cougar. This I was taught as a Freshman. It was axiomatically equivalent to the thesis that Aquinas reconciled the differences between the idealists and realists, between Plato and Aristotle.
2) When a team choses to slow down the game in order to win (as has been the case with Butler, and others dating back to the time of Hank Iba, and Slats Gill), one can become upset, aggravated, shout out obsenities, call them sissies (which they may or may not be), but one cannot whine and moan. One must execute, play good defense and seek only to score more points than the opponents. One must not be lulled into the idea that one can make a last minute comeback if you get down to a team that plays like this. It is kind of like a lob in tennis. Aggravating to be sure, but it is what Oregon State under Slats Gill did, and it has been a frequent part of the Wazoo regimen, dating back even to the days of Marv Harshman who was known to do some of that himself.
3) The Zags cannot rest on their record. They have the players to win tomorrow and the environment will be intimidating, even given the kind of more politically correct attitudes toward the neighboring Cougars these days compared to my tenure at which time there was nothing, absolutely nothing more dispicable. And just so I sound like the old phart that I am, don't any of you yungins ever forget it.

Sili

zagfan07
12-03-2007, 04:28 PM
The biggest x-factor in this game is going to be the crowd. Everyone who's attending had better bring their ear plugs because the place is going to be rockin! I hope the kc has some clever material for the WSU guys, as well as a few brewskis before the game. If its anything like the atmosphere for the U-Dub game last year, the Zags are going to have a big advantage. WSU may be experienced, but its been a while since they've encountered anything like the Kennel's going to be on Wednesday night. Can't wait for that zombie nation to blow the roof off the place...GO ZAGS!!!

fedwayzag
12-03-2007, 04:43 PM
I think Micha covers Cowgill. With Micha's length and ability to rebound i have faith he can frustrate Cowgill. Kuso/Sacre take on Baynes. That leaves Pendo/Gurganious on Weaver. Tough match up for Pendo but like the broadcasters said Saturday, who hasn't he defended. I like Bouldin on Low. Low's 6'1 and Bouldin 6'5 so might give him some problems. That leaves Pargo on Rochestie. Pargo's a warrior, so if he stays out of foul trouble he will win the battle.

I hope these are the matchups we see.

My final thought is if the score is in the 70's GU wins. In fact GU will the vast majority of games this season if they score more then 70 points.

HOOTER
12-03-2007, 06:19 PM
1) There is nothing, absolutely nothing lower than a Cougar. This I was taught as a Freshman. It was axiomatically equivalent to the thesis that Aquinas reconciled the differences between the idealists and realists, between Plato and Aristotle.

At the risk of sounding stupid....Huh?:confused: Are we still talking about basketball? Anyway, there is something lower that a Cougar, and that would be a Husky. At least the Coug's have the you know what's to play the Zag's every year.

zagsballer
12-03-2007, 06:34 PM
I was shocked when I began reading this thread!!!

The love for the Cougs is outrageous. I wonder how many of the people talking them up have even seen them play? Just because they are ranked number 6 doesn't mean they are unbeatable.

Former1dog --- Are you kidding me?? what kind of a zag fan says his team is doomed 48 hours before a HUGE game in k2?? I am shocked. Not that opptimism is needed right now, because we have a great group of kids, but have a little faith.

The cougs are good. I have watched them all year. I am a WSU grad. I like the cougs. They will play their game, they will slow it down and wait for a good shot. Why does that mean we are going to lose?

Newsflash!!! Mark Few is a great coach, he will have his kids ready to win. GU has the talent to win this game. And oh ya, do i need to remind you that the game is at home!?!?

I will be there, yelling as loud as I can. I expect this to be the loudest the Kennel has ever been. I will be doing my part. And our Zags will fight and win!!!

I can't wait. Sorry for going off, but I'm trying to get pumped and when I hear (read) a zags fan saying we are doomed, I get fired up!!!

HOOTER
12-03-2007, 06:43 PM
I can't wait. Sorry for going off, but I'm trying to get pumped and when I hear (read) a zags fan saying we are doomed, I get fired up!!!

Don't apologize. I love your enthusiasm. The "were doomed" statement was pathetic to say the least, and I truly hope it was said jokingly. Wazzu has a solid team and they'll be a serious challenge for the Zag's, but let's not poop our pants in fear. I have a feeling our Zag's will be just fine.

BobZag
12-03-2007, 06:49 PM

Roy? Is that you? Roy? :D

See you there, SM98.

ZagNative
12-03-2007, 06:52 PM
Former1dog --- Are you kidding me?? what kind of a zag fan says his team is doomed 48 hours before a HUGE game in k2?? I am shocked. Not that opptimism is needed right now, because we have a great group of kids, but have a little faith.

Zagsballer and Reborn: Separated at birth?
http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/1576186/2/istockphoto_1576186_separated_at_birth.jpg
Don't worry about F1D. He's a well-known Zags-hater!

BobZag
12-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Fwiw, the "We're doomed" thing is a running joke, purely in jest, borrowed from the Star Wars character C-3PO. :)

My vocal cords are ready. A shot or two of tequila Wednesday and I'll rep the old farts well. I totally expect to be hoarse come 10:00pm Wed.

zagsballer
12-03-2007, 07:14 PM
Fwiw, the "We're doomed" thing is a running joke, purely in jest, borrowed from the Star Wars character C-3PO. :)

Ok, well Im glad to hear that.

And I will be with you, no voice by games end.

former1dog
12-03-2007, 08:01 PM
Zagsballer,

Sorry about the slightly "inside joke". Although, I am quite worried about this match up for the reasons stated. Perhaps I'm hedging to save myself the emotional let down if we lose. :(

Truth is, I always think we're going to win, even if logically I'm convinced I'm wrong.

Wednesday night, I'm going to be saddled up to the TV, silently screaming my head off(my kids will be sleeping) and expecting a victory. When we win, there will be great jubilation as I run through the house (quietly) screaming my head off.

In the unlikely event (I hope:( ) of a loss, I'll pour myself a Glennlivet, tell myself its just a game (but not really believe it) and do everything possible to not actually shed real tears as I lay my head on the pillow for a mostly sleepless night.

Peace, Brother Zag!

Zag4Hire
12-03-2007, 08:17 PM
So far:

vs Montana - Miller Hi-Life W 77-54
vs Idaho <FSN NW delay>
vs UC Riverside <no feed>
vs WKU - Bourbon & Coke W 74-71
vs Texas Tech - Pinot Noir L 73-63 Stupid Wine
vs Virginia Tech - Dirty Gin Martini W 82-64
vs St. Joseph's - Lagunitas Pale Ale W 70-65 (OT)
vs UConn- Voodoo Punch W 85-82

I'm thinking Long Islands for this one. It's gonna be a wild game.

MickMick
12-03-2007, 08:22 PM
In my estimation, if there was ever a game where Zag turnovers will be the story of the game, this will be it.

My prediction:

Zag turnovers < 8 = Zag Win
Zag turnovers > 12 = Zag loss

between 8 and 12 (I doubt this) = other factors more important.

Zag4Hire
12-03-2007, 08:51 PM
The Breakdown

(D-I Ranking only to Top 50)
GONZAGA STAT WAZZU
47th Scoring Margin 21st
36th FG% Defense N/A
41st Rebound Margin 20th
43rd Blocked Shots Per Game N/A
N/A Turnovers Per Game 5th
N/A Fouls Per Game 20th
N/A Scoring Defense 4th
N/A FG % 19th
N/A FT % 8th
N/A Assist per Turnover Ratio 15th

RPI Gonzaga - 33 Wazzu - 35

Key is Free Throws. If the Zags don't perform in a Zag-esque manner (ball-control, quality shots, +85% FT), you can forget about it. And somebody needs to get in Derrick Low's face when he tries to put a 3 ball.

gu03alum
12-03-2007, 08:54 PM
A lot of good points have been made about this game. I think the bulldogs can win, but its going to be tough. One thing I know is I'm super excited for the game. I don't know if I'll sleep much the next two nights. I can't wait.

Scotto
12-03-2007, 08:59 PM
I was marveling at Cowgill's first step during the Baylor game. Very fast for a big man. If they play smart, and they will, anytime they see Kuso on him they're going to feed it to him in the post. I can see Cowgill getting Kuso in foul trouble easily...

That just means more PT for Sacre. :)

Nevtelen
12-03-2007, 09:09 PM
I think Sacre and Kuso will be the keys to this game. Bennett will go the smart money route and learn from UConn's example and bang it inside. That will open the outside game up a lot more subsequently. If we can take Cowgill and Baynes out of it (or just limit their effectiveness through fouls/blocks/whatever), we have a good chance of winning because our guards will be able to play better D on the perimiter. If that doesn't happen, WSU will be too much for us barring something crazy like them self-destructing (which won't happen). We don't necessarily need tons of scoring punch dow low from our big men (though it'd be nice), but the Zags do need good D down there. Oh, and the outside shot needs to be falling, especially for Pargo, to open up the drive.

It wouldn't hurt if Austin would be on for this game, too. I think all the right conditions are there for it - WSU isn't (for the most part) athletic or quick enough to bother him a lot (unless they put Weaver on him and that leaves other problems) and outside of Baynes Wazzu isn't a physical, body-into-you type of team. Plus, he's coming off a terrible game and will be burning to have a great showing. Also, you have to believe all the energy from the fans and the homecourt will give him a boost.

Zag4Hire
12-03-2007, 09:26 PM

I will never forget that guy. When GU played them in '05, Batista made a nice move to the hoop, knocked down Cowgill, drew the foul and hit the bucket. Cowgill got up red in the face from hitting the court and whining to the ref. That is when some guy yelled, clear as day, he must have been right next to the FSN camera mic, "GO BACK TO THE CIRCUS, 34!" I will never forget that. You put that guy on your media guide? Yikes. I guess though he would be a good looking dude (or woman) for Pullman.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/NorthFace51/zou.jpg

Stache
12-03-2007, 09:40 PM
The better rebounding team will get to set tempo. If Cougs control glass (Kuso in early foul trouble ?), then we see the slower tempo that favors ball control and makes for a Turnover and free throw shooting contest. If we get the boards, then we get transition tempo, breaks and potential to equalize the big-man experience problem. Boards. It was the same at UConn and St. Joe's: when we struggled with the boards we got sluggish on the offensive side. Crowd noise, boards and tempo = GU by 8

CougFan05
12-04-2007, 04:37 AM
I will never forget that guy. When GU played them in '05, Batista made a nice move to the hoop, knocked down Cowgill, drew the foul and hit the bucket. Cowgill got up red in the face from hitting the court and whining to the ref. That is when some guy yelled, clear as day, he must have been right next to the FSN camera mic, "GO BACK TO THE CIRCUS, 34!" I will never forget that. You put that guy on your media guide? Yikes. I guess though he would be a good looking dude (or woman) for Pullman.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/NorthFace51/zou.jpg

Every team has a guy on their team that wasn't blessed with Adam Morrison looks, we have Cowgill, you have Pendergraft.

Birddog
12-04-2007, 08:09 AM
We are closing in the 42nd anniversary of the date that some clever Zag students (Upan8th of this board was in on it) kidnapped Butch the Cougar for the opening of K1 (Kennedy Pavilion) against Wazzu. I'm not sure of the exact date, but it was the first week in December of '65. That was a great day in many respects. A humbled Butch was put on display outside the entrance but those damn Cougs beat a shorthanded Zag team in our grand opening. There are a few of us that were around then and we don't forget. We want revenge for that loss and beating the Cougs at home would go a long way toward making us whole.

Birddog

Reborn
12-04-2007, 09:36 AM
Whew!!! Wow you guys have really gotten me fired up...even more now. This was some of the best reading that I've experienced before a game. I love the old farts blogs because I'm one of 'em, and I too remember how precious this rivalry IS...... I hope this game brings that kind of rivalry back. I think we will witness one of the greatest basketball games ever at GU...maybe outdoing the victory over the UW last year. That win was so precious because it had so much hatred in it (Father forgive me for I know not what I say) over the UW bailing out on our series with them, trying to act like we DIDN'T MATTER TO THEM. that they were sooooooo goood and sooooooo Big that they needed to drop our little rivalry and go after BIGGER AND BETTER TEAMS. It is backfiring on them.

And now this one. They ruined us last year. To me that's the game to get even for. This one is about ruining them. WE CAN NOT AND MUST NOT have any love for the Cougs. Not tomorrow night anyway. WE must thrash them, whip them, punish them, whatever it takes to establish that we're #1 in the state of Washington. I must admit, I've only been a cougar fan on very rare occasions (national prominence) and honestly, I felt kind of odd when I did. I was raised, like some of my older brothers, to hate Wazzu!!!!! When you understand hatered for another team, then you understand rivalry.

Go Zags....

75Zag
12-04-2007, 10:38 AM
I am watching game ticket prices on Ebay. There is not the crazed bidding this year like there last year for the GU -UW game. With wheat prices at $10.00 per bushel, I would have figured all those farmer WSU alumni would be bidding up prices like crazy. Maybe farmers are smarter than UW types.

jim77
12-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Should be an interesting game.

On paper we don't match up with the cougs all that great....I'm most concerned with our inside game. Baynes is a big strong fella who will not be pushed around by many....Cowgill is smart and quick and loooong. I give the advantage down low to WSU. Derrick low isn't the greastest athlete in the world but, he's darn smart and will take what you give him. Kyle weaver is really the x-man for WSU...extremely athletic and smart also. Weaver will give Daye fits if the 2 collide.

In short, At this time(without Josh) I feel WSU is the better team and the more disciplined team. The Zags need PARGO and DOWNS to have big games as those 2 are capable of doing the most damage. We will also need a fully energized KC as they may well be the differece here. Zags 71 WSU 69....Gunit...KC!

The Baynes/Sacre matchup may get brutal....We need Kuso to start to soften Baynes up.

UberZagFan
12-04-2007, 05:03 PM
Sili

This just needs to be reposted.

Uber only asks that he not see that Rochestie kid knocking down threes late in the game after some boneheaded turnover. Just don't let that happen and all will be well in Uberland!

MickMick
12-04-2007, 06:04 PM
I am really really concerned about scoring in this one. Who is going to score for Gonzaga?

I say 2 out of 3 need to come up huge with the scoring. The three being Pargo, Bouldin, and Daye.

DoggieDogpound
12-05-2007, 12:47 PM
We are closing in the 42nd anniversary of the date that some clever Zag students (Upan8th of this board was in on it) kidnapped Butch the Cougar for the opening of K1 (Kennedy Pavilion) against Wazzu. I'm not sure of the exact date, but it was the first week in December of '65. That was a great day in many respects. A humbled Butch was put on display outside the entrance but those damn Cougs beat a shorthanded Zag team in our grand opening. There are a few of us that were around then and we don't forget. We want revenge for that loss and beating the Cougs at home would go a long way toward making us whole.

Birddog

Our historians sure have good memories - I must have burned out too many brain cells at Joey's back then. I looked it up and Birddog was right - the Cougars hammered us 106-78 on Dec.3, 1965, but we got even in Pullman later in the year 97-82. I was at that game and remember Lech totally outplaying their center Jim McKean (I think that was his name). Lech outscored him something like 29 - 4. We started out slowly that year but got hot and ended up 19-7, and 1st in the Big Sky 8-2.