PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina's non-league sked

CDC84
12-02-2007, 11:11 PM
For all the griping that goes on regarding the non-league scheduling habits of various BCS programs, I thought it was worth it to single out a program that can't be accused of sitting at home: North Carolina.

The Heels started off the season with a neutral court game against Davidson that was truly a 50/50 crowd.

Then they got to home games versus Iona and South Carolina State.

Then they went to Vegas to take on Old Dominion and BYU (they could've played Louisville, but no Padgett/Palacios).

Then they went to Ohio State

Then they went to Kentucky this weekend

On Tuesday they will be at the Palestra in Philly to take on Penn

On Sunday they will be New Jersey to take on Rutgers

Then they finally come home for a Dec 19 game in Chapel Hill....one full month and one day since they played their last game in the state of the North Carolina.

Granted, UNC has it a lot better than poor Alcorn State, where 10 of their first 11 games are on the road riding buses, but what UNC has undertaken is quite unique for a program of their stature. Of course some of this, like the Penn game, is to give some of their players hometown games, which I hope Gonzaga does for Jeremy Pargo, Matt Bouldin, Grant Gibbs and others.

Nevtelen
12-02-2007, 11:34 PM
Come on, they played Iona at home - they're loading up the cupcakes. :)

rennis
12-03-2007, 08:05 AM
I was really impressed they would take-on Kentucky on the road. Not many elite teams outside the SEC are willing to do that. Shows why Roy Williams is so highly respected, and only a smidge behind Few in the W %s

:D

CDC84
12-03-2007, 08:20 AM
I would have even more respect for Williams than I do right now if he would call up GU's schedulers to inquire about a possible home and home series :o

I mean, can you imagine the ticket demand if the UNC Tarheels came to K2 next season?

rennis
12-03-2007, 08:34 AM
I would have even more respect for Williams than I do right now if he would call up GU's schedulers to inquire about a possible home and home series :o

I mean, can you imagine the ticket demand if the UNC Tarheels came to K2 next season?

A home-and-home with any huge program like that would be a big ticket item. I'm sure ESPN could get behind it too.

zagporvida
12-03-2007, 08:36 AM
by putting it on the U of couse.:mad: