PDA

View Full Version : ESPNU versus Dick Wright

Zag 77
12-02-2007, 09:43 PM
For all of you guys whining about GU not being on a TV station convenient to you, keep in mind that as late as about 8 years ago GU games were carried by a lovable old Dick Wright on the radio, and that was it. We may have been on regional TV once or twice in 10 years. Dick used to do the games solo, did his own stats and broadcast from a folding table with a clunky telephone hookup that would go out now and then.

We never dreamed the day would come that all GU games were on TV in some fashion.

It frosts me that some are whining up a storm about the games being on ESPNU and are too damn lazy to go down to a local sports bar (ever heard of them- they are all over).

Give me a break.

Rubbadub
12-02-2007, 10:13 PM
I feel fine being rude since you called me whiny. :D

Besides maybe as nostalgia, your story about Dick Wright is quite irrelevant to CURRENT ZAGS ESPN coverage issues. Would Zags games have generated millions of viewers on national tv back then? No. Would ESPN have used Zags games as leverage to get people across the Northwest to complain to their cable providers about not getting ESPNU back then? No. At the same time, were the Zags worried about tv for national recruiting and popularity back then? No.

If anything, your post is complaining that we're not siding with ESPN over the interests of the Zags...since the staff has made it known they do not like what ESPN has done with recent Zag games. "Be happy with what you've got" is silly as well and not an effective argument. The Zags are in high demand and ESPN knows this. We all know the Zags deserve better in marquee matchups then being sent to the U. This isn't the same team as in 1997 when Dick Wright won the Gonzaga Service Award. Or maybe you just don't like being able to watch the Zags on tv?

Do you watch "Video Killed the Radio Star" and cry yourself to sleep? :D

upan8th
12-02-2007, 10:35 PM
OK, where do you want it? The break, that is. We're "whining" because someone at Disney, aka ESPN, unilaterally decided that, after some less than stellar performances in "prime time" last year (at GA, VA) on ESPN/ESPN2, and propects uncertain for this year after the Heytfeldt contretemps, that they would hedge their bets and option the ZAGS to the minors of ESPN satellites in early season OOC; until we "proved" ourselves ready to return to their preferred list.

We're "whining" because the team has been removed from a readily accessable-via-satellite venue (FSNW-ESPN) and relegated to a premium addition, Disney accountant's wet dream money maker that most folks or even BARS DON'T SUBSRIBE TO!

And finally Rip, like it or maybe don't, a LOT of things have changed for better or worse (mostly worse in the world) in the last eight years. But the ZAGS, meanwhile, w/their perpetual underdog staus, entertaining, elite, team style of play, and (gulp!) multi-racial lineup, have been one of the top five developments in college BBall for the duration. "America's team" (I've heard the Zags termed) has been hijacked by ESPNU; and that's why we're pi**ed, okay?

ZagNative
12-02-2007, 10:43 PM
Not wanting to go to a sports bar doesn't necessarily have anything to do with laziness. We watched the St. Joe's game at a sportsbar, and it wasn't bad, except:

A young woman standing next to my sister's seat was talking loudly to a friend and apparently was unable to string ten words together without dropping the f-bomb at least three times. Completely classless, but not unexpected in a bar environment.

The crowd in the establishment we visited was remarkably polite and pleasant other than the tacky broad with the foul mouth, but they'd all had a few brews and were noisy. Competing televisions featured a football game, with cheers for touchdowns punctuating the chaos. The din level was incredible, making it impossible to hear so much as a word of commentary during the basketball game.

Meanwhile, sis carried on a running inane conversation with the players on the television screen ("Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it now, Micah!"), punctuated with oofing noises at missed shots, as if slugged in the gut. (I love the girl, but I'm telling you, you don't want to share a room with her when you're watching a basketball game you care about.) It crossed my frenzied mind at least once to stand up and scream "STFU!!" at the noisy crowd (minus the abbreviation).

As we left the bar, I nevertheless found myself saying, "Well, that was fun." And it was kind of fun, in a perverted way. We're going to do it again for the WSU game, probably at the same sports bar. This time, though, I'm bringing earplugs to mute the din and profanity.

I'm a little bit concerned, however, because there will likely be a fair number of Cougars sharing our venue to watch the game this time, so the noise level will be even greater, and with everybody consuming alcohol and rooting passionately for different teams, it could get tense at times. Got to remember to throw my game hat into my game bar survival kit ..

http://www.elvex.com/Images/SC-30-blue.jpg

DrDrivel
12-03-2007, 01:24 AM
Conspiracy abounds.

If area Fire Marshalls start dropping by area sports bars on Wednesday night, we'll know the fix is in. Disney and Spokane's Bravest. You scum.

Birddog
12-03-2007, 03:07 AM
most folks or even BARS DON'T SUBSRIBE TO!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Any establishment that is relying on cable and calls itself a "sports bar" is most likely an imposter. The good places around here have at least 20 screens and some as many as 50. Establishing friendly relations with the personnel prior to game time is sometimes prudent in these parts where there isn't a huge Zag following. I would think it would be somewhat easier out west. Fortunately I rarely have to do this as I have DirecTV.

Many of you whiners are correct in your assumption that those Mickey Mouse guys are attempting to extort your local cable provider, unfortunately, that is how it's done. If you have satellite, then you'll only have to whine a few times a year when the game is on Fox Sports Pacific or Full Court (most sports bars have Full Court). It's been a short 50 years since Sputnik, you'd be amazed at what satellites can do these days. There's about 100 HD channels too, you ought to look into it.

If you call ahead, and inform your "public house" of choice, that you and some (insert number here) of your favorite Zag friends are coming, you'd probably be amazed at how accommodating they will be . Don't forget to tip.

Birddog

Zagpower
12-03-2007, 07:09 AM
Blaming ESPN is misguided. They are no different than any other cable channel like the Food Network, BET etc. They all want to be on every cable system and they are available to be on every cable system. There is only Comcast to blame for ESPNU not being available in Spokane. ESPN is not withholding ESPNU from the Spokane market.

Cable Companies always pass the cost (if any) of their programming on to the consumer so it's not like they take much of a risk in offering more channels.

Just keep peppering away at Comcast and you'll see ESPNU added. Mention you might have to switch to DirectTV to get it and that should catch their attention.

frontrangezag
12-03-2007, 07:11 AM
ZAG 77,

Many Zag fans have children. Many children go to bed early.

Many Zag fans have jobs. The WSU game is on WED.

Many Zag fans live in other time zones. Games come on later.

Perhaps you are right, I should not be angry that the game is on ESPNU, which is unavailable to me, but should take my 2 year old to a sports bar for a 9pm start time. I guess I could let some drunkard in the sports bar help me when I needed to change him or grab a beer.

BTW, why do you even care how fans do or do not feel about TV coverage?

brasszag
12-03-2007, 07:23 AM
Sports bars bite the big weenie.

It doesn't help that the only one anywhere near where I live tends toward the drunken belligerent flavor of crowd.

Not fun.

Feh on Comcast, Feh on ESPN, and Feh on sports bars.

Rubbadub
12-03-2007, 07:23 AM
Are the Food Network and BET holding back coverage of GU basketball to a majority of Zags fans so they can push live a 7th channel (or whatever it is)? No, they're not.

Were those Gonzaga games worthy of being on ESPN2 instead of the crappy consolation game of the Anaheim Classic, etc.? Yes they were. Comcast is not at fault for feeling threatened by an ever expanding ESPN line up of channels (most of the programming on a couple of them already sucks) using terrorist tactics, hijacking top quality basketball games in order to push live more and more channels.

Why would it stop after ESPNU, ESPN Full Court and 360? If you were an exec at Comcast what would you think? ESPN2 splits about 12 hours a day between poker and lumberjacking competitions. ESPN Classic is crap for about 20 hours a day. You can only really watch ESPNEWS for about half an hour a day since it's the same thing over and over again. ESPNU has a terrible picture. Once all the cable companies buy into ESPNU, ESPN will push all the games to another ill-advised channel.

The only way it stops is when the cable companies ignore the silly new channels ESPN tries to push out and treat them like the greedy whiny baby that they are. Personally, I think ESPNU is a better idea than ESPNews or ESPNClassic but at some point the cable companies are no longer at fault for not paying for new ESPN channels.

Birddog
12-03-2007, 07:37 AM
Well there certainly is no insouciance in this subject and discussion. Viewers are caught in the middle of a power struggle, it isn't new and it won't go away, there will be more in the future. You cable viewers that aren't held captive by some agreement (like apartment dwellers sometimes are) need to do a quick comparison of your Cable bill and it's assets vs a Satellite bill and it's assets. I think you will see that satellite TV is very much in line with cable and in most cases beats it. The downside might be if you are stuck with a cable co's Internet svc, but that's usually an easy fix by switching it to your land line phone carrier. You can call most of these providers and negotiate too. They will bend over backwards to keep you enrolled. It's a highly competitive business and as such, you really can be the winner by exercising choice. There are only 2 more games on the "U" by my calculations. make plans.

Frontrange: I had to make many lifestyle adjustments when my kids were young, I understand. You'll get more and more used to it.

Birddog

ZAGduck
12-03-2007, 08:08 AM
It's all a conspiracy, Maaaaaaaaan!

Seriously, I have read from many of you that ESPNU is "not available to me". Unless your house has a huge tree or hill blocking your view of the the south (157 degrees in Spokane), ESPNU IS AVAILABLE to you. You simply choose NOT to get satellite. What's more, no CC&Rs, HOAs or condo boards can prevent you from getting satellite (http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html)

As for the Comcast internet you all can't live without, who says you can't get it without TV? What do you save by bundling all Comcast's products? Maybe $5/month? Keep your Comcast internet - I did!

Rubbadub
12-03-2007, 08:16 AM
I get ESPNU. I just don't like so many Zag fans not being able to get it.

Zagpower
12-03-2007, 08:22 AM
Rub, It's all about choices. Those with Comcast should have the choice whether they want to pay for the new channels or not. Frankly, I think ESPU for a couple extra dollars per month is a great deal.

What I don't understand is your outrage at ESPN for acting like a business but you seem to give the cable companies a pass. It costs millions to start a new channel like ESPNU and they have every right to try and charge for that product. The market will determine whether it's worth paying for and Comcast should offer us the choice if we want ESPNU at a cost or not.

Cable companies make their money (and lots of it) by picking up the signals and routing them on to your homes. They are just middlemen. They provide no programming of their own and take no risk and they make millions off of their subscribers. Most of the channels that you pay for are provided free to the cable companies. Comcast execs should be making these decisions based on their customers wants. I can absolutely guarantee that if there were more than one cable provider in Spokane, ESPU would be available, but we are dealing with a near-monopoly here. That's why so many have switched to Direct TV. Cable companies ignoring their customers needs.

Pure
12-03-2007, 08:28 AM
I have a couple frustrations with this current situation

1) Fans Held Hostage. i could forgive ESPN / Disney its poor form, if they only allowed me to purchase the game on line or pay per view.. Not allowing this and telling me its free is holding us Hostage to make a point with Comcast.

2) The WCC- I am disappointed that the WCC's assignment these games out to ESPN / Disney to allow its biggest drawing teams fans to be used in such a way. I do not believe they are getting any heat on this board and they Deserve it.

GU is understandably upset by this , I hope they voice it loudly for its fans both to ESPN and the WCC.

:mad: :confused: :mad:

Rubbadub
12-03-2007, 08:36 AM
I'm not mad at ESPN for "acting like a business." I'm mad at them for "acting like a business" and using the Zags as leverage in their power struggle. They aren't breaking any rules and what they are doing is perfectly within their right, since Gonzaga signed that contract. That doesn't mean I have to like it or have to sit quietly while they "act like a business."

As to your other point...don't you think the cable companies would offer the channel if they thought it would be profitable?? Neither you nor I have the specifics of this particular power struggle. How much is ESPN trying to make them pay? It seems like the price tag would be huge for the cable companies or they would've signed on sooner. How much would Comcast make and how many viewers do other cable channels like ESPNews and ESPNClassic draw in? Not a whole lot.

Zag 77
12-03-2007, 08:40 AM
My point is that it is amazing to those of us that went through the lean years to read all this folderol about what TV station we are on.

A little long term perspective is all I ask for and quit beating the ESPNU dead horse over and over.

Ezag
12-03-2007, 08:44 AM
Plain and simple ESPNU like ESPN360 in Spokane is plain stupid. My grandma loved the Zags but they don't get ESPNU in her $3000/mo nursing home

Rubbadub
12-03-2007, 08:45 AM
and quit beating the ESPNU dead horse over and over.

no.

and anyways, it's not a dead horse if the problem is nowhere near resolution. This horse is alive and well.

upan8th
12-03-2007, 10:01 AM
Zagpower says: "Cable Companies make money (and lots of it) by picking up signals and routing them to your homes. ...They provide no programming of their own and take no risk..."

That assertion is absolutely false here in San Diego. The Cox cable channel provides season long coverage of all the Padres games, a good portion of USD basketball, and some SDSU games as well. Local programming ranges from cooking shows to in depth interviews, to news stories and political exposes'. None of these would be available via a satellite network.

A friend in rural AZ, unable to connect to cable, has nothing but contempt for the Dish co he's forced to employ. Reception is not constant, programming often differs from what's published in a guide, and service is delivered with a snarl.

That the viewing public (paying, I should add) is held hostage in the war between satellite and cable is not right. The last I heard, the airwaves belong to the public, not the broadcasters.

SintoZag
12-03-2007, 10:07 AM
On a side note, is ESPNU really available to the people that "can" order it on the provider? I have Dish and in order to get ESPNU I have order there everthing package that includes several hundered channels and costs somewhere well north of 100 dollars a month. I am not necessarly a fan of ala carte pricing like some in Congress, but having to pay for 100 channels I will never watch to get on that I will, puts it out of my price range. They could at least offer a ESPN package or a an all sports package.

75Zag
12-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Content providers, cable and satellite are all screwing the viewing public, and it has nothing to do with sports programming. Until you can pick and choose on a channel by channel basis what stations you receive and pay for, this stuff will continue forever. The reason I get (and pay for) three Home Shopping channels, the Military Channel, "O". "E!" and about a hundred other worthless channels is because Comcast (and Direct TV) leverage their 2% desirable content to force you to buy the 98% that is crap.

Don't complain to Comcast, complain to your elected US politicans. Ask them to tell the FCC to get off its hind end and approve a la Carte' programming NOW. And when you write your Senator or Representative, don't forget to tuck a $10,000 bill in the envelope. That's what Comcast does.

Rubbadub
12-03-2007, 10:18 AM
I guess it's lucky for me that Cox's "Sports & Information Tier" costs next to nothing. :o

Zagpower
12-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Upan8th. I stand corrected if your cable company does original programming. That's not very common in medium and smaller markets.

Ala Carte would seem like the best way for consumers although I am not familiar with the current bill in Congress. The cable companies get paid to bring the shopping channels. In theory, this would help offset the cost of the other programming. In any way, the cable companies will probably fight this tooth and nail since they also sell advertising and part of their big pitch is the number of subscribers. That number (total subscribers) would become meaningless.

LongIslandZagFan
12-03-2007, 10:42 AM
Here is my take on it. Lets try this exercise and see if the feelings change.

Lets replace WSU with Duke and then replace the Zags with say... UCLA. Now throw that on ESPNU.

Do you think they would remotely think about doing that? IMHO it is THAT thing that gets under my skin. ESPN knew coming in that both teams would likely be ranked. To put a matchup of ranked teams into the cable equivalent of the arctic badlands wouldn't be thought of in a true "business sense" approach.

This is a DUMB move by ESPN on a pure business level plain and simple. Instead they'd rather show Sportscenter. Bravo ESPN... bravo.

Rubbadub
12-03-2007, 10:46 AM
Here is my take on it. Lets try this exercise and see if the feelings change.

Lets replace WSU with Duke and then replace the Zags with say... UCLA. Now throw that on ESPNU.

Do you think they would remotely think about doing that? IMHO it is THAT thing that gets under my skin. ESPN knew coming in that both teams would likely be ranked. To put a matchup of ranked teams into the cable equivalent of the arctic badlands wouldn't be thought of in a true "business sense" approach.

This is a DUMB move by ESPN on a pure business level plain and simple. Instead they'd rather show Sportscenter. Bravo ESPN... bravo.

Did you get a chance yet to see my write-up on the Boston trip?

former1dog
12-03-2007, 10:59 AM
I don't quite understand ESPN's strategy regarding how its going about promoting ESPNU and trying to get providers to carry it. I do understand why they are trying to promote it, though. It makes perfect sense to have yet another nationally carried channel which will bring in yet more ad revenue to this behemoth. Ultimately, it is good for the consumer as well.

In the short term, ESPN's strategy is pissing a few of us off. Perhaps that is the point. :(

ZagMan in Philly
12-03-2007, 12:07 PM
Did you get a chance yet to see my write-up on the Boston trip?

No not yet...please send the link...:)

Rubbadub
12-03-2007, 12:25 PM
No not yet...please send the link...:)

About mid-way down the page.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=7419&page=3

LongIslandZagFan
12-03-2007, 01:13 PM
About mid-way down the page.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=7419&page=3

Yep... and my buddy was upset he didn't get his $5 hat they were selling on the street as a storage fee. ;)

Rubbadub
12-03-2007, 01:17 PM
Hey...there were no hats to be found. I checked everywhere. :D

LongIslandZagFan
12-03-2007, 01:29 PM
Glad to hear you got back OK... you had a long trip ahead of you when we parted ways.

lothar98zag
12-03-2007, 01:34 PM
Blaming ESPN is misguided.

No it isn't (imho).

I have read that Comcast is willing to carry ESPNU on it's digit sport tier - the same level as ESPN News, EPSN classic, CSTV, FCS, etc.

But that apparently isn't good enough for ESPN - they want Comcast (& others) to carry ESPN on the standard cable level (top 70-80 channels). Combine that with their extremely high cost they are asking to carry the channel and Comcast isn't going to agree. So instead of ESPN allowing their station to be carried where similar stations are carried and allowing the the cost to be passed on to the consumer almost directly, they want everyone w/ basic cable to pay for their station, whether they watch sports all the time or once a year.

Sound familiar? It should. ESPN is doing the same w/ ESPN360. Instead of going directly/semi-directly to the customer, like they do with ESPN Insider, they want to charge the internet provider a huge fee to carry their service - regardless of how the people use the internet (20 yr old sport nut or 99 year old granny that looks up knitting info).

But wait, some cable/sat companies and some internet providers carry espnu & 360, so it can't be ESPN's fault that Comcast doesn't carry them. Of course it can - they want you to think Comcast (and the other major players are to blame), but in reality, ESPN is using the other companies as pawns in order to catch the big fi$h. If enough people pressure the other person to cave, ESPN will get what they want.

Yet another example is the 2 new Thanksgiving weekend basketball tourneys which happen to be located next to Disney's 2 resorts. ESPN (owned by Disney) has no problem showing a ton of games from those games on their big channels (fans in the crowd optional). But when it comes to one of the oldest early season tourneys around...forget it.

Is a pattern starting to appear?

ESPN isn't about broadcasting sports to the world. Maybe it used to be, but not now. ESPN is about 1 thing - ESPN. Luckily for us fans as a byproduct of this - they happen to show a lot of good sporting events that most of us are able to watch (most of the time) from the comfort of our own homes...

NVzag
12-03-2007, 03:30 PM
My point is that it is amazing to those of us that went through the lean years to read all this folderol about what TV station we are on.

A little long term perspective is all I ask for and quit beating the ESPNU dead horse over and over.

Agreed. ESPN has been VERY good to the Zags over the last 10 years. We owe a good deal of our continued success to the 'network.'

It wasn't all that long ago the only game we'd get to watch would be the WCC tournament championship game.

My advice? Get the dish. It blows cable away, both in price & function.

:horse:

ZagNative
12-03-2007, 03:37 PM
I was going to save Lothar's post for future use as the definitive answer to all complaints about Comcast or other providers not carrying ESPNU, but I see from NVZag's post immediately thereafter that it's hopeless.

Nice try, though, Lothar. Sigh ....

lothar98zag
12-03-2007, 03:38 PM
It wasn't all that long ago the only game we'd get to watch would be the WCC tournament championship game.

It wasn't all too long ago that a GU team GETTING to the NCAA tourney was though of as a once in a lifetime event. ...things change...

My advice? Get the dish. It blows cable away, both in price & function.

:horse:
...and some people have to be reminded that a dish doesn't work for everyone.

also...:horse:

Robzagnut
12-03-2007, 03:46 PM
I voted with my wallet.

I previously had the sports package with Comcast. I called Comcast and canceled the sports package. When I was asked why I canceled, I told them, "I'm paying $5 extra for the sports package. I want to watch GU games on ESPNU, but you don't offer it. So, I'm cancelling it and will pay you the $5 extra once you offer ESPNU."

I also had the rep fill out a complaint sheet for me and told him that I'm seriously considering switching to DirectTV.

Rubbadub
12-03-2007, 03:52 PM
I was going to save Lothar's post for future use as the definitive answer to all complaints about Comcast or other providers not carrying ESPNU, but I see from NVZag's post immediately thereafter that it's hopeless.

Nice try, though, Lothar. Sigh ....

Do you ever find it odd that board regulars seem to think alike on alot of things? (not politics though of course)

tim wright
02-09-2008, 07:34 PM
I feel fine being rude since you called me whiny. :D

Besides maybe as nostalgia, your story about Dick Wright is quite irrelevant to CURRENT ZAGS ESPN coverage issues. Would Zags games have generated millions of viewers on national tv back then? No. Would ESPN have used Zags games as leverage to get people across the Northwest to complain to their cable providers about not getting ESPNU back then? No. At the same time, were the Zags worried about tv for national recruiting and popularity back then? No.

If anything, your post is complaining that we're not siding with ESPN over the interests of the Zags...since the staff has made it known they do not like what ESPN has done with recent Zag games. "Be happy with what you've got" is silly as well and not an effective argument. The Zags are in high demand and ESPN knows this. We all know the Zags deserve better in marquee matchups then being sent to the U. This isn't the same team as in 1997 when Dick Wright won the Gonzaga Service Award. Or maybe you just don't like being able to watch the Zags on tv?

Do you watch "Video Killed the Radio Star" and cry yourself to sleep? :D

I have no Idea who you are or think you are. TV is a big part of today it was not in 1997 so to confused the 2 is your lack of cells in your head.

1. How many games did you do ok let us start with none and move on.
2. Many of Dads kids helped him to stats I was one of them 2 other brothers were in the seat beside him as well.
3. Dad would go get the game sold so they would be on the radio.
4. Now maybe You should staying away from making stupid remarks would be best for you.
5. You last line (cry your self to sleep) says everything about your soul you have none.

To dis a guy that tried to make Spokane better and getting the Zags on the radio was a great thing he did for over 20 years so next time you want to say something stupid in print do not. My Dad would of loved to see them on TV as do all his Kids.

What have you ever done for the City, the Zags. The zags retied jersey 50 for my dad for 50 years of service. It is in my home in Anchorage.

I am betting you have done zero for any amount of time to help the Zags or Spokane. Stay off the remarks you are clues less about. To think that in 11 years things would not get better every year is your sole thought and has no merit we all grow as does TV and it is all good.
So as they say on ESPN SHUT YOUR PIE HOLE

Tim Wright

tim wright
02-09-2008, 07:44 PM
For all of you guys whining about GU not being on a TV station convenient to you, keep in mind that as late as about 8 years ago GU games were carried by a lovable old Dick Wright on the radio, and that was it. We may have been on regional TV once or twice in 10 years. Dick used to do the games solo, did his own stats and broadcast from a folding table with a clunky telephone hookup that would go out now and then.

We never dreamed the day would come that all GU games were on TV in some fashion.

It frosts me that some are whining up a storm about the games being on ESPNU and are too damn lazy to go down to a local sports bar (ever heard of them- they are all over).

Give me a break.

If Dad was alive today he would watch them no matter what he had to do to see them he was a real fan. He told me one time watching a game with him I said this the only game on? Dad said yes and say thank the guy stairs. So Sports Bar or Home if love it you will watch it no matter where you are and no matter what cable you do not have cause some one in spokane has it on.

I am sure Dad is watching from the rafters and the bushers are still the bushers.

Tim Wright

MedZag
02-09-2008, 07:46 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Any establishment that is relying on cable and calls itself a "sports bar" is most likely an imposter. The good places around here have at least 20 screens and some as many as 50. Establishing friendly relations with the personnel prior to game time is sometimes prudent in these parts where there isn't a huge Zag following. I would think it would be somewhat easier out west. Fortunately I rarely have to do this as I have DirecTV.

Many of you whiners are correct in your assumption that those Mickey Mouse guys are attempting to extort your local cable provider, unfortunately, that is how it's done. If you have satellite, then you'll only have to whine a few times a year when the game is on Fox Sports Pacific or Full Court (most sports bars have Full Court). It's been a short 50 years since Sputnik, you'd be amazed at what satellites can do these days. There's about 100 HD channels too, you ought to look into it.

If you call ahead, and inform your "public house" of choice, that you and some (insert number here) of your favorite Zag friends are coming, you'd probably be amazed at how accommodating they will be . Don't forget to tip.

Birddog

I'll second this. My sports bar of choice and I have a very... cooperative relationship :) I frequent and buy alcohol. They make sure a main screen has the Zags. Win-Win.

Zagpower
02-09-2008, 08:04 PM
ESPN's job is to attract cable companies. Comcast's job is to attract viewers, that's why complaining to ESPN does no good. They don't care.
Your local cable company should care. Many of us have already taken our business elsewhere and many more will follow. This is just two multi billion dollar companies fighting. Neither is on your side. Let's see who blinks first. I'll bet on the mouse.

GoZags
02-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Tim,

Thanks for posting. Your dad was Gonzaga basketball. Our community was lucky to have him -- and lucky to experience his passion.

God Bless.

Rubbadub
02-09-2008, 08:22 PM
I have no Idea who you are or think you are. TV is a big part of today it was not in 1997 so to confused the 2 is your lack of cells in your head.

1. How many games did you do ok let us start with none and move on.
2. Many of Dads kids helped him to stats I was one of them 2 other brothers were in the seat beside him as well.
3. Dad would go get the game sold so they would be on the radio.
4. Now maybe You should staying away from making stupid remarks would be best for you.
5. You last line (cry your self to sleep) says everything about your soul you have none.

To dis a guy that tried to make Spokane better and getting the Zags on the radio was a great thing he did for over 20 years so next time you want to say something stupid in print do not. My Dad would of loved to see them on TV as do all his Kids.

What have you ever done for the City, the Zags. The zags retied jersey 50 for my dad for 50 years of service. It is in my home in Anchorage.

I am betting you have done zero for any amount of time to help the Zags or Spokane. Stay off the remarks you are clues less about. To think that in 11 years things would not get better every year is your sole thought and has no merit we all grow as does TV and it is all good.
So as they say on ESPN SHUT YOUR PIE HOLE

Tim Wright

What did I say that you somehow construed as negative about your father? There was nothing of the sort in any post i made. I didn't claim I have made greater contributions to Gonzaga University than your father or anybody else. The rest of your post was hateful nonsense.

ESPN 360 is not available in any sports bars. It is not available in any cable packages. It's an internet broadcast that's only available to subscribers to a certain internet provider. Gonzaga and the WCC signed a contract with ESPN thinking the worldwide leader was going to broadcast GU games on ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU and all other games could be broadcast on FSN or some other network. Instead, ESPN used Gonzaga games to try to pander a new internet based broadcasting channel that very little of the Gonzaga fan base have access to (Few and the GU Athletics Department made public how upset they were by this. I really doubt your father would have approved either). That was the point of my responses to this thread. Nothing I said was meant to be a slight toward your father and there's no way anything I said could be construed that way by a sensible individual. Research what was said and the facts behind the situation before badmouthing other posters. Being the son of a GU icon doesn't give you the right to badmouth diehard GU fans with NO provocation.