PDA

View Full Version : Micah's Maturity

Montzag
12-02-2007, 09:49 AM
The measure of a person is not that they fall down, but what they do in response.

Several months ago there was a lot of discussion and concern as to the maturity of Micah Downs. This included whether he would fit in as a ZAG and how he would react to rules and discipline.

He has shown he can play in a workmanlike manner(undoubtedly has Pendo as a good mentor). As to the rules and discipline, he made a mistake in the St. Joe’s game which could have cost his team dearly. He was appropriately disciplined. What impressed me more than any play he has made this year is his response to his mistake:

"I made a little mistake, I lost my cool a little at Saint Joseph's and got a technical and I needed disciplinary action for that," Downs said. "I accepted that."

A mature person accepts responsibility for his actions. I am happy for Micah.

El Voce
12-02-2007, 09:59 AM
Montzag -- Well put!

zag67
12-02-2007, 10:02 AM
I agree with Montzag. Micah has shown that he is for real. He has gone from the main shooter in high school to a complete player. He has been improving his defense and rebounding in leaps and bounds. He knows his shot is there and when the time comes, he has been stepping up.

Also when he got the T, be was very upset. I think that Few did a great job of bringing him back in the end and Micah responded. All of us have lost our temper (some even more than once), but the way he has acted since then is impressive.

ZagNative
12-02-2007, 10:39 AM
Kansas fans are awful about Micah, acting like a bunch of 13-year olds every time his name comes up. Their comments about him in the UConn game were no exception. Phognet.com (http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=172&FIX=1#s=172&f=2481&t=1555836) (Registration is required to even look at the board, and, frankly, I wouldn't bother. Used to be a great, fun board, but near as I can tell, it's been taken over by wannabe Jayhawk jerks.)

Someone started out a thread with the comment:

Man would he look good in a KU jersey this year. It would be hard for him to find time though. Not physical enough to be honest....he looked good today again UConn though. But that boy can shoot.
Reasonable comment, but from there it went into 13-year-old punk mode, with snarky comments about Micah's character.

I posted:

14 points and 11 boards against a big, physical UConn team? We love this guy in spokane. He's just really been a surprise for us, made a huge difference for us on defense especially. some of us thought he'd be a prima donna. He's been far from that. Some of us thought he'd be a "me-first" guy. He's been a team-first guy, does whatever he can to ensure a win, has tried to fill whatever role has been given him.

Hate on the kid all you want. He's been a gem for us.
That attracted more bashers. In response to one who asked why Micah didn't start, I posted:

You asked why he didn't start. It was discipline. He came in off the bench because he got a technical in the St. Joseph's game. Nobody knows what he did to get the technical. something he said, apparently. But even in that game, after getting benched and scolded by Few for the technical, he went back into the game and made some big plays, showing no attitude.

I'm just telling you. No one more surprised than me that he's filled so many valuable roles for the Zags, not just a bomber (or even primarily a bomber), but a guy who busts his butt virtually every play.

Edited to add: We play WSU at our place this coming Thursday. That should be a really interesting game and a real test for Micah.
I like reading other fans' boards, but I don't believe in getting into arguments with them on their home turf when I am essentially a guest there. So, I figured enough said.

I'd just really, really like to see him shine and make them understand what they lost and what we gained when he transferred. I also truly hope to see Micah be happy and successful for is own sake, as a person. Seems like he's had some tough knocks.

But, you know what? This thread needs a pic! This one, which purports to show Micah celebrating in the UConn game, made me laugh. That kid really knows how to party, don't he?

http://www.courant.com/media/photo/2007-12/34053495.jpg

How 'bout a smile, Micah? How 'bout a fist pump? :D

john montana
12-02-2007, 10:45 AM
i'm a big fan of micah. i loved watching him last year, but i'm shocked at what a difference a year has made. He doesn't seem to even care if he scores, but he has an impact on the entire game whether he's shooting or not. he's been great this year.

sonuvazag
12-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Micah is natural born ninja. Assassins are non-demonstrative like that.

Ezag
12-02-2007, 10:55 AM
Micah is perhaps the most complete player on the team and going to be a huge factor down the stretch. Austin could learn a thing or 2 from Micah.

GonzagaGurl08
12-02-2007, 11:07 AM
Kansas fans are awful about Micah, acting like a bunch of 13-year olds every time his name comes up. Their comments about him in the UConn game were no exception. Phognet.com (http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=172&FIX=1#s=172&f=2481&t=1555836) (Registration is required to even look at the board, and, frankly, I wouldn't bother. Used to be a great, fun board, but near as I can tell, it's been taken over by wannabe Jayhawk jerks.)

Someone started out a thread with the comment:

Reasonable comment, but from there it went into 13-year-old punk mode, with snarky comments about Micah's character.

I posted:

That attracted more bashers. In response to one who asked why Micah didn't start, I posted:

I like reading other fans' boards, but I don't believe in getting into arguments with them on their home turf when I am essentially a guest there. So, I figured enough said.

I'd just really, really like to see him shine and make them understand what they lost and what we gained when he transferred. I also truly hope to see Micah be happy and successful for is own sake, as a person. Seems like he's had some tough knocks.

But, you know what? This thread needs a pic! This one, which purports to show Micah celebrating in the UConn game, made me laugh. That kid really knows how to party, don't he?

http://www.courant.com/media/photo/2007-12/34053495.jpg

Looks like he is celebrating a extra point or a field goal kick. At least he could get the right sport down.

sonuvazag
12-02-2007, 11:11 AM
Looks like he is celebrating a extra point or a field goal kick. At least he could get the right sport down.
That's the sign for a threepoint-ah.

GonzagaGurl08
12-02-2007, 11:19 AM
CAN WE PLEASE KEEP POOR MICAH'S PERSONAL LIFE OUT OF THIS BOARD????

He deserves just an iota of privacy.

That occured to me after I posted it. It's none of our business. I deleted my post, it's not worth it.

MedZag
12-02-2007, 11:58 AM
That occured to me after I posted it. It's none of our business. I deleted my post, it's not worth it.

Likewise.

Still, I remember back to Rav's junior year with the mess he was going through off the court and how it affected his game. I think with Downs dealing with issues as well it put damper on him (and his game, though thats not as important) Its great to see him at a good place in his life and realizing his potential.

brasszag
12-02-2007, 12:08 PM
Like I observed earlier this year - it looks like Micah is looking to take over Pendo's "glue guy" role and do whatever it takes for GU to walk away with the win.

Nail down a three, pull down a board, or draw a foul - whatever.

There will only ever be one Pendo, but with him graduating it'll be nice to see someone who wants to try to be the next "Mr. Zag"

GU69
12-02-2007, 12:19 PM
Over the last three games I have become really impressed with Micah and Matt.

Micah particularly seems to be ready to take the torch from Pendo next year to carry on the team-first and lay-it-all-out approach to the game.

Both Micah and Matt are demonstrating the kind of attitude that I have come to expect on a Gonzaga team.

ZagNative
12-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Micah looking pretty Pendo-esque (http://www.adn.com/photos/alaskashootout/2007/men/game4/v-photo_gallery_9/), from the WKU game at the Shootout:

http://www.adn.com/photo/public_upload/snowers_5.1195853759-273-x-370.jpeg

He does need to work some on the Pendo grimace, though...

Nevtelen
12-02-2007, 12:35 PM
To date, Micah has been the team's MVP IMO. He has just stepped up big in every game in one way or another, making contributions wherever he can with total unsefishness. What a great great player and teammate.

Bocco
12-02-2007, 12:36 PM
To date, Micah has been the team's MVP IMO. He has just stepped up big in every game in one way or another, making contributions wherever he can with total unsefishness. What a great great player and teammate.

I have been impressed with Micah's play since day one this year, and with each game he has played I have been even more impressed. Whatever issues he had prior to coming to Gonzaga have not be evident since he has been here.

Zagdawg
12-02-2007, 04:51 PM
Ditto Bocco and Nevtelen---- Micah was a very good get for us ---

saintzag
12-02-2007, 06:32 PM
Go Micah and go zags the two are synonamous.M IS A TRUE ZAG.

Zag 77
12-02-2007, 09:30 PM
Mark Spink, in terms of his grittiness and selfless play, execept with more talent.

FuManShoes
12-02-2007, 09:34 PM
http://www.courant.com/media/photo/2007-12/34054976.jpg

Zag79
12-02-2007, 10:40 PM
most of the bs about micah coming in was just that. bs. junk made up by people that dont know the guy but continue to question his character after hearing rumors, an dfeeding into all of it. kudos to him for making the transition smoothly and the best is yet to come. this dude can flat out play.

wazmix
12-02-2007, 11:25 PM
On defense, I like Micah's..............

"Desiiiiiiiiiiiiii----re."

A few times each game, I think an offensive player will blow by him, and Micah makes the effort to cut him off, with a quick lateral move. His length makes the defense even more noticeable.
Who wants to be guarded by a relentless praying mantis??

Keep that up, because it's contagious.

Ziggy
12-03-2007, 07:21 AM
most of the bs about micah coming in was just that. bs. junk made up by people that dont know the guy but continue to question his character after hearing rumors, an dfeeding into all of it. kudos to him for making the transition smoothly and the best is yet to come. this dude can flat out play.

Yea, so much for the juvenile rumors out of Kans ass of Micah being "a headcase". Flat out false!

zag67
12-03-2007, 07:46 AM
I agree with Ziggy.

I see Micah doing so much better than I expected. I thought that he would be super on offense, but his teamwork, passing, defense and rebounding are way above what I had thought. He is a gem and I am sure we will be see many great things to come from Micah and the team.:) :)

former1dog
12-03-2007, 08:05 AM
Like I observed earlier this year - it looks like Micah is looking to take over Pendo's "glue guy" role and do whatever it takes for GU to walk away with the win.

Nail down a three, pull down a board, or draw a foul - whatever.

There will only ever be one Pendo, but with him graduating it'll be nice to see someone who wants to try to be the next "Mr. Zag"

Right on! Exactly what I was thinking.

Reborn
12-03-2007, 08:53 AM
Micah is making a lot of progress, and certainly his game Saturday was inspirational. Ten boards is a lot from a skinny kid from the State of Washilngton (West side though). The comparison to Spinks is ok, especially his desire and skinniness. I think it stops there though. I'd say Downs shoots a little better.

I like the idea of maturing as a player because become a Zag basketball player is a process. It doesn't happen overnight. And actually I think it takes awhile as we're seeing with Downs. What impresses me the most about Downs (and it's a sign of maturity) is that he has accepted everything Coach Few has handed to him. Few has been hard on Downs. Real hard I think. But, as Downs has shown, these kids trust Coach Few, and they've accepted his criticisms and at times his punishment. In this sense, Downs has been a good leader, and I think he will become an even better one as time goes on. This is a great thread, and very inspirational I think. Thanks to all.