PDA

View Full Version : The effect of Josh's return?

tyra
12-02-2007, 09:20 AM
This was a mention on another thread. It deserves its own thread. What will be the net effect of Josh's return? Obviously, we are much better for it. But how? What do we get done that we don't now? How will we be different? How might the minutes be adjusted? Personally, I'm looking forward to it with great anticipation.

jim77
12-02-2007, 09:47 AM
The first thing it does is make the other teams figure out how to guard Josh. The next thing it does is give us another 3 point shooter...who can't be covered. It makes getting a rebound very tough to come by and drivers to the paint had better be careful. In short Josh will draw a LOT of attention which should open it up even more for the other guys.

I wanna see a Bouldin,Pargo,Downs Sacre, Heytvelt lineup.

zag67
12-02-2007, 09:49 AM
I think that you will see them bring Josh along slowly in the beginning (do not want to cause any more damage). So my guess will be 10 to 15 minutes when he starts. Then in January work into about 25 minutes.

Who will lose time, will be interesting. I think that you will see them spread between Kuso, Sacre, Pendo, and Daye in the beginning with each losing 2 to 3 minutes. Now Kuso or Sacre could get into foul trouble, causing the rest not to loose any. When it gets to him playing full time (@25 minutes), I think that then you will see Sacre taking the biggest hit.

Now as we know injuries and matchups will change this as we go.

zag67
12-02-2007, 09:54 AM
I like Jim77's lineup, but I would also like to see Pargo, Bouldin, Downs, Daye and Josh. As the year goes on, I think that we will see Austin get more and more comfortable with the offense and defense sets. At times he (and the rest of the new players) is thinking first and then moving. This casues them to be late to getting there work done. As they get to the point where they are just reacting, this could really get fun to watch (by the way do not get me wrong, it has been super so far)

sonuvazag
12-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Josh + Sacre = A Great High-Low

FrosTbear
12-02-2007, 12:27 PM
All I want for Christmas is 20 minutes of Josh in the Battle in Seattle game with
Bouldin, Pargo, Downs and Sacre.

Reborn
12-02-2007, 12:36 PM
As many have said, Josh IS one of the best big men in the country. How can that not help you. He's a very good outside 3 pt shooter. Has potential to block shots inside, can be a very good rebounder when he applies himself (20 reb. last year against San Diego I think). He's put on bulk and muscle and will be stronger. He's 6'11" and I think 245. Put him along Sacre at 7'0" and we have a pretty darn stronger inside duo. Finally, he has two years experience as a Zag.

TexasZagFan
12-02-2007, 01:13 PM
I think Josh's return will come at the expense of Kuso. IMO, Sacre is a better low post player, and bigger to boot.

I admire Kuso's work ethic and energy, but he was a stop-gap after Batista moved on.

He'll still contribute, and will likely start over Sacre. But Sacre is playing too well not to be getting his minutes.

former1dog
12-02-2007, 01:17 PM
As much as I hate to say it, Pendo is going to be the one losing minutes to Josh. :(

RenoZag
12-02-2007, 01:21 PM
As much as I hate to say it, Pendo is going to be the one losing minutes to Josh. :(

You may be right, F1D, but if the " W " 's keep coming, I suspect Pendo would be the first to say " Minutes? I don't need no steenking minutes !"

Go Zags

exiledhusky
12-02-2007, 02:26 PM
This was a mention on another thread. It deserves its own thread. What will be the net effect of Josh's return? Obviously, we are much better for it. But how? What do we get done that we don't now? How will we be different? How might the minutes be adjusted? Personally, I'm looking forward to it with great anticipation.

You're right on to look forward to his return. The guy is a 1st round talent and that say's enough. What he will bring is an inside presence which the team lacks at the moment.

Come March when the third and final season starts, the opposition will be bigger/stronger, and Mica won't be pulling down double boards against those guys. It will also free up Kuso to work more effectivly against guys like Adrian on the defensive end. It pushes Mica to the 6th slot where he should flourish as the assasin, which will give Daye a ton of reasons to get better, reason number 1, minutes.

cair3
12-02-2007, 02:29 PM
one huge thing is it lets bouldin post up. I love the plays few runs to isolate bouldin in the post. With josh out there thats another shooter that pulls a guy away so bouldin can post up smaller guards.

BobZag
12-02-2007, 04:00 PM
Kuso will lose the most minutes, by far. He'll be okay for giving Sacre and Josh breathers.

The staff will integrate Josh (and Steven) slowly, especially slow with Gray. Josh has played enough so that he'll meld in fairly quickly. He'll be hungry.

It's all good stuff.

bartruff1
12-02-2007, 05:17 PM
Just my opinion, but I think he has more potential than ANYONE that has played at Gonzaga...when he gets in game shape and if he decides to play to his potential, he can dominate....I don't know if that means the team will be better or win more games...

tyra
12-02-2007, 05:33 PM
So, by the end of season, who starts?

saintzag
12-02-2007, 06:11 PM
All I want for Christmas is 20 minutes of Josh in the Battle in Seattle game with
Any person who leaves out Pendo needs coal in his stocking.

thickman1
12-02-2007, 06:13 PM
So, by the end of season, who starts?

Pargo
Bouldin
Micah
Pendo
Josh

Gray first guard off bench
Kuso/Sacre first big off bench

Doktorkev
12-02-2007, 08:45 PM
I think Josh's return will come at the expense of Kuso. IMO, Sacre is a better low post player, and bigger to boot.

I admire Kuso's work ethic and energy, but he was a stop-gap after Batista moved on.

He'll still contribute, and will likely start over Sacre. But Sacre is playing too well not to be getting his minutes.

Agreed, I think with the return of Josh, Kuso (who has made great strides) will probably be looking at very little playing time

cjm720
12-03-2007, 01:38 PM
I'd like to see:
Pargo, Bouldin, Daye, Heytvelt, Sacree
with Pendu, Downs, LG, Gray off the bench depending on match-ups/fouls

SteeleMan
12-03-2007, 02:00 PM

That would make it a Happy New Year as well!