PDA

View Full Version : the most asked question I got as a Zag fan

collegehoopfan
12-02-2007, 04:12 AM
As I proudly displayed my Gonzaga shirt in the bars of Boston and in the Garden I was asked at least 10 times (mostly by Uconn fans) where is Gonzaga? How can these people not know this? Maybe after being defeated by a better team the Uconn fans will now know.

It was great to see a large Gonzaga fan contingent. Living in the Boston area
I don't get to see Zags fans (or the Zags) often.

Some "uruly" Ucon fans told me the Zags were lucky and I fired back we won without our top player and one of the best freshman in the land.

gueastcoast
12-02-2007, 04:47 AM
A man with his two young grandsons was in the row in front of me, and one of the boys asked where Gonzaga is. I said Spokane, and then looked into a face as blank as a canvas. When I then said "it's near Seattle", the little boy nodded his head, in apparent relief that I could place it somewhere he could imagine (ie, not the moon). :p

Larry
12-02-2007, 07:12 AM
I live in Connecticut but my son and his family are in Cheney. When I tell people we are going to Spokane the usual question is about how depressing the rain is.

Larry

mdZag23
12-02-2007, 07:48 AM
People from Conn. are so wrapped up in trying to be New Yorkers that the only two places they know about are Conn and "the City".

Larry
12-02-2007, 08:07 AM
I guess the easterners who think Spokane is a suburb of Seattle are balanced by those who think Nutmegers all want to be New Yorkers. I live in eastern CT but I go to Spokane more often than I go to New York City. We have even been to the Colville Rodeo. Twice. Next Saturday we will go to Cat Tales to see the new Siberian tiger cubs. See you there?

gamagin
12-02-2007, 09:12 AM
I first learned about the east coast geography bias when in New York many years ago.

I stopped long before that saying Spokane when asked where I was from and switched to west coast or Seattle, like others on this thread.

Instead, I would start out saying west coast, then say northwest, then west side of Washington state about 4 hours from Seattle.

But I didn't get far this time. after saying I was from "the west coast", this fellow jumped in quickly, saying "Oh, you're from Chicago."

I thought he was crazy and of course, he was, except I learned that in NY, many folks refer to the windy city as the west coast.

west coast of what, I do not know. Perhaps to the flat earch society it might be.

More lately, I enjoy telling people that, in fact, it is pronounced Gon ZAW GUH and spo CANE, adding getting people to say Gon ZAG A and Spo CAN is our way of telling the visitors from the locals.

two can play this game . . .

kdaleb
12-02-2007, 09:45 AM
I thought he was crazy and of course, he was, except I learned that in NY, many folks refer to the windy city as the west coast.
I always got a kick out of my discussions with East Coasters about the sports media's East Coast bias... their inevitable retort was something like, "Of course the media pays attention to more than the East Coast, look at all the attention the Ohio State Buckeyes get."

MedZag
12-02-2007, 09:53 AM
For those of you who read Deadspin, their headline for their link to the wrapup of the game last night was:

What you missed while stockpiling saving throws vs. cold for the upcoming snowstorms...
NCAA Basketball: Gonzaga beats Connecticut, returns back home to wherever the hell they're located.

BobZag
12-02-2007, 10:01 AM
Spokane is the last stopover to the west coast for the Pony Express.

Dogtownkid
12-02-2007, 11:58 AM
At the time, there was that brouhaha in Idaho with the kids who held off the authorities with a rifle and their dog, and it was world-wide news. When he was asked where he was from, he'd say "Idaho." He figured that would be as close as he'd get to explaining Spokane's location.

When I go to Europe, if I'm attending a language school where I'll get to know people, I sometimes bring a little map so that new friends can see where I live.

sittingon50
12-02-2007, 12:06 PM
I live in Colville. Get in touch with me next time you're in town (I'll pass on the rodeo though ;) )

30 yrs. ago when hitching around the U.S, whenever I was east of the Mississippi & told folks I was from Washington, the retort was "D.C.?"

I'll have to admit that my own NE geography isn't strong. Only been as far as Columbus, Ohio & then southeasterly to Virginia & down. Some of their states are about the size of Stevens County, aren't they?:D

GonzagaGurl08
12-02-2007, 12:26 PM
I got a lot of that when studying abroad last year. People would as me where I went to school, and I would say Washington STATE, so as not to be confused with D.C.

Rubbadub
12-02-2007, 02:03 PM
I was asked by at least 5 people in 2 hours before the game in Boston yesterday where Gonzaga is.

BTW, there are some CRAZY people prowling the streets in that city--even with the weather the way it was. They must be like mosquitos during the summer months. :)

BC1210is
12-02-2007, 02:18 PM
I love it when people from the east coast cannot even name the three states on the Pacific Ocean. Also amazed when they refer to Chicago as west coast.

BobZag
12-02-2007, 02:21 PM
BTW, there are some CRAZY people prowling the streets in that city--even with the weather the way it was. They must be like mosquitos during the summer months. :)

Red Sox fans?

Zagguy
12-02-2007, 02:32 PM
East Coast bias is alive and well. Two kids from Providence sat behind us during the second game - they were awed that there were actually Catholic Schools outside of the Northeast. No lie.

Rubbadub
12-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Red Sox fans?

I tried wandering away from the vicinity of the Arena and walked by some people randomly hanging over guard rails, talking to themselves, having the drug addict look and staring blankly, there were some people in the bar at the train station who were not quite right but it was hard to put my finger on exactly what besides just being decked out in Boston gear ( :D ), etc.

LynetteG
12-02-2007, 03:00 PM
Rubbadub! I am waiting for part 3 in the other thread!

Rubbadub
12-02-2007, 03:25 PM
Rubbadub! I am waiting for part 3 in the other thread!

done.

gueastcoast
12-02-2007, 03:52 PM
I will admit that ignorance of geography (or attention to detail) on the east coast doesn't just relate to the "left coast". I did my graduate work at the University of Pennsylvania (what bball fans would call "Penn") and there was a t-shirt at the bookstore when I started ther that said "Not Penn State" on the front, because of the apparent frequency of references to State College, Joe Pa, etc. whenever students would say they went to school at "Penn".

There's a larger social commentary in this thread somewhere, I'm just not sure what it is ;)

sittingon50
12-02-2007, 04:09 PM
"Eat more chickin?"

PeninsulaDog
12-02-2007, 05:11 PM
I think most people, in general, are ignorant of geography. Kind of reminds me of a few years back when San Jose was granted an NHL franchise. Fans in other NHL cities were asked where San Jose is located. The majority answered "Southern California -- Los Angeles area". A city of over a million people, bigger than San Francisco, bigger than Oakland, and people have no idea where it is. When I was at GU, I too used to get the "How can you stand the rain?" question from dummies down here. The ignorance is easier to take when you keep in mind that half the world is, by definition, of below average intelligence.

ExtremeJim
12-02-2007, 06:22 PM
I love it when people from the east coast cannot even name the three states on the Pacific Ocean.

Not only that, but back in the late 1950's, I think it was, we added a couple more.

Now there are five states on the Pacific Ocean.

Woohoo will be along in a minute, to tell us what time it is, there.

willandi
12-02-2007, 08:13 PM
Just remember that in Seattle, the East Side is Bellevue

ZagFanatic
12-02-2007, 08:43 PM
How many of you could point to Storrs, Conn. on a map? I don't think I can.

Rubbadub
12-02-2007, 08:46 PM

Well since my finger is big enough that it would cover most of the state, I'd more than likely hit it. :D

MedZag
12-02-2007, 08:50 PM

That's by New York City right?

Rangerzag
12-02-2007, 08:57 PM

That's a lot like asking someone from Connecticut to point out Kelso Washington on a map. It ain't so big.

Birddog
12-03-2007, 03:27 AM
How many of you could point to Storrs, Conn. on a map?
You're right that is kinda tough, especially when your finger covers the whole damn state.

Birddog

PS Ooops, I see great minds think alike.

Ziggy
12-03-2007, 07:00 AM
After an ancestor landed in Philly in 1679 as an indentured servant and worked off his ticket, he headed west...to present day Ohio. Succeding
generations moved West to the Three I's,Indiana, Illinois and Iowa. Many, many years later I moved west to Montana and the Other Washington. Thankfully the West is a very different place than "Back East".

GUinSTL
12-03-2007, 10:33 AM
I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, um, some people out there in our nation don't have maps and, uh, I believe that our, uh, education like such as, uh, Connecticut and, uh, the Spokane and everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should, uh, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., uh, should help New York and should help Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future. :p

~B

zagster318
12-03-2007, 10:40 AM
I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, um, some people out there in our nation don't have maps and, uh, I believe that our, uh, education like such as, uh, Connecticut and, uh, the Spokane and everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should, uh, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., uh, should help New York and should help Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future. :p

~B

Who knew that the education crisis in this country was merely the result of a map shortage?!? :lmao:

That was painful...I still cringe after watching it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww

ZagNative
12-03-2007, 10:42 AM

~B
So, how'd you do in the swimsuit competition, GUinSTL?

P.S. I can see it's no accident that you and WooHoo ended up runnin' buddies.

GUinSTL
12-03-2007, 10:51 AM
So, how'd you do in the swimsuit competition, GUinSTL?

P.S. I can see it's no accident that you and WooHoo ended up runnin' buddies.

It's really just my cognitive thinking skills that suck. I tore it up in the swimsuit portion.

Yeah, once we were able to finally meet at the same place at the same time, we really clicked.

Anyways, here in the midwest, I constantly hear, "I don't think I could handle the rain," after I tell people I'm from Spokane. I just nod, smile, and tell them I could see the Space Needle from my house on clear days in Spokane.
~B

Larry
12-03-2007, 12:57 PM
How many of you could point to Connecticut on a map? :)

Do you recall this National Geographic story?
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/11/1120_021120_GeoRoperSurvey.html

Half of us are of below average intelligence. I love that one.

rennis
12-03-2007, 01:19 PM
is are all Zag fans as handsome and intelligent as I am. I usually respond with a yes, but qualify it and say that most are both handsome and intelligent, but I set the bar pretty high.

:D

ZagNative
12-03-2007, 01:24 PM
It's really just my cognitive thinking skills that suck. I tore it up in the swimsuit portion.

Yeah, once we were able to finally meet at the same place at the same time, we really clicked.

Anyways, here in the midwest, I constantly hear, "I don't think I could handle the rain," after I tell people I'm from Spokane. I just nod, smile, and tell them I could see the Space Needle from my house on clear days in Spokane.
~B

Incidentally, it's raining pretty good here in the 'kan today. Beats the heck out of the alternative white stuff, though.

lothar98zag
12-03-2007, 02:59 PM
I love it when people from the east coast cannot even name the three states on the Pacific Ocean.

Just 3?

I though there were 5 states that border the Pacific...

lothar98zag
12-03-2007, 03:01 PM
...But I didn't get far this time. after saying I was from "the west coast", this fellow jumped in quickly, saying "Oh, you're from Chicago."...

Well, Chicago is on the west side of Lake Michigan, and the lake is big enough that you could say it had a coastline..

UberZagFan
12-03-2007, 03:45 PM
The ignorance is easier to take when you keep in mind that half the world is, by definition, of below average intelligence.

Uber reminds himself of this fact constantly when reading this board.