PDA

View Full Version : Defense lets Calhoun down in the end

caduceus
12-02-2007, 01:13 AM
Connecticut Post Article (http://www.connpost.com/sports/ci_7613350)

They've won two national championships with defense.

They've won 10 Big East regular season titles with defense.

They've won six Big East tournament titles with defense.

On Saturday, they lost because of defense.

And that's why Calhoun was near critical mass.

Gonzaga scored 85 points on the Huskies. The last time a team posted that kind of number on the Huskies was George Mason in the NCAA Elite Eight game on March 26, 2006, when they scored 86. Only twice last season (and we all know how bad that was) did UConn allow more than 80 points in 31 games.

So nice to see Few & team put Calhoun in his place. He was stammering and stomping at the refs, his team, and his assistants the whole game. I thought he showed little respect for us back in Maui, which makes this win all that much sweeter.

Lets hope the team has their legs back against WSU Wednesday.

MedZag
12-02-2007, 01:14 AM
I strongly dislike Calhoun. This win was sweet for me.

Larry
12-02-2007, 07:21 AM
Score in the eighties in this game was due to the UConn run and shoot. It is very rare for Calhoun's players to take chances because he is so harsh if you screw up. In the first half the number of threes launched (and made) was rare. The lame announcers on ESPN kept pointing out that UCoon was "settling" for jumpers, and long jumpers at that. They were right on this. UConn this year and last has no inside game and they never have any foul line attack. The only half court offense in Storrs is the womens'. There is great recruiting here (CT) and high intensity but not much else. Zags fans should be grateful for the terrific coaching of Mark Few and his team.

RenoZag
12-02-2007, 07:51 AM
From the linked article:

"This is tough to take. We've got to pick it up," sophomore forward Stanley Robinson said. "We have to come together as a team. We can't drop our heads. We have to pick it up. When times get tough, we can't lay down."

But Saturday, that's exactly what the Huskies did

gamagin
12-02-2007, 08:08 AM
I just think he and UConn think they have a better team. They were counting on a win to launch their season. Maybe even crack into the top 25.

And the disappointement was palpable, at the end of the game and at the news conference.

I don't know how many remember the Duke game, but coach K had the same kind of mad, nervous, complaining, prowling attitude that Calhoun had on the side lines during that contest.

I think it was for the same reason. And it's a good one. they respect GU and its game and the danger that GU can beat anyone, anywhere, anytime. And they have. they did it again Sat.

That is why we are so dangerous to any program It's because we matter.

Had the situation been the other way, & we had lost, I would have felt the same was as any disappointed UConn fan. I disliked the refereeing intensely, but don't think it swung the game.

But had Bouldon, Pargo and Daye not hit the important ones, at the important times, I would have considered it a damn shame and wished they had.

Either team could have won, but we did.

With a little luck and the kind of shooting from Pargo, Bouldin & Downs & Pendo, too, at just the right moments when UCOnn needed us to miss.

Instead, we took charge and took the win.

And I believe that is the real source of pain in UCONN and Calhoun.

Birddog
12-02-2007, 10:41 AM
The lame announcers on ESPN
McDonough, Raftery, and Bilas lame? I think that's their first team or darn close to it. Onions!

Birddog

ZagNative
12-02-2007, 10:50 AM
Geez! It was so nice to listen to a game presented by a first-class team of pros. I love Rafferty especially! That guy is just the voice of college basketball to me.

CDC84
12-02-2007, 11:13 AM
UConn statistically had one of the best defenses in the nation last year, and by year's end, they will be near the top again in terms of defensive FG%, defensive rebounding and blocked shots.

What did UConn in was Mark Few, who continues to show again and again that the Zags can score in big numbers, regardless of how talented the opposing defense is. The Zag's system is so complicated and has no many sets that even the best defenses struggle against it a good deal of the time.

ZagNative
12-02-2007, 11:41 AM
From a very good article I read before the game in the Hartford Courant online (http://www.courant.com/services/newspaper/printedition/sports/hc-ucmen1201.artdec01,0,6160570.story?coll=hc_sports_ highschool_util):

"They run about 25 different things and we won't even attempt to have our kids go through their offense," Calhoun said of preparing for Gonzaga (6-1).

zag67
12-02-2007, 11:43 AM
I agree with CDC about Few and his sets. But that also is why we as fans have to remember that these newcomers will make many errors during the transition. If you notice when we have at least 4 of the "old timers" the offense normally runs smoother (also the zone defense). Each week I hope that we see them getting smoother and smoother in the offense.

Reborn
12-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Nice thread, and really good posts you guys. Some great thoughts. I was so proud of our Zags today. UCONN is a very tough game for GU, especially with Josh out. The HEART of the Zags this year is just so incredible. I have never appreciated Calhoun's remarks about Mid-Majors vs Majors, and what I sometimes see as his arrogance. Calhoun is a great coach, and we can not deny that. He has done incredible things at UCONN, and put them on the map much the same way Mark Few et al are doing at CU. Calhoun has also done great things for The Big East conference. Beating him is precious because he IS one of the great coaches in the game today. And he does take pride in defense, rebounding and blocked shots. His men are big and they are tough...make no bones about that. The Zags victory is just an indication to me of how great the Zags are. That WAS a horrible lose for UCONN. Just as St. Joe's loss was horrible for them, and Western Kentucky's as well. Way to go Zags!!!

What I liked most about the game is that we beat them at what may have been their best offensive game this year. They shot the eyes out of the basket the first half, but we just held our place and made our stand.

exiledhusky
12-02-2007, 02:51 PM
[QUOTE=caduceus;116805]Connecticut Post Article (http://www.connpost.com/sports/ci_7613350)

So nice to see Few & team put Calhoun in his place. He was stammering and stomping at the refs, his team, and his assistants the whole game. I thought he showed little respect for us back in Maui, which makes this win all that much sweeter.

Same shi- Husky fans have been hearing for the past year and half, excuses, excuses, excuses, if ain't the offense it's the defense. For the first time in twenty years we missed the post season and this year will be the second time in 21 years. Truth of the matter is, it is A10 level talent, not capable of competing in the BE or against national powers.

Hank
12-02-2007, 04:53 PM
Geez! It was so nice to listen to a game presented by a first-class team of pros. I love Rafferty especially! That guy is just the voice of college basketball to me.

"Pargo, with the cargo, to the tin!"

upan8th
12-02-2007, 05:28 PM
OK Exiled, WE HEAR YOU. Gotta think it's more than a bad year and a half of mediocre UConn bball that's set you off like this. Can't think of what the low-down, dirty, rotten thing Calhoun has personally done to you, but man, you may need to get over it. Have family, long time UConn fans, in CT who've lost faith in Calhoun because they think he's recruiting thugs now instead of Emeka Okafurs. Kinda like USF east. So how do you feel about the Dons? Seems like you could use a change of subject...;)

exiledhusky
12-02-2007, 10:14 PM
OK Exiled, WE HEAR YOU. Gotta think it's more than a bad year and a half of mediocre UConn bball that's set you off like this. Can't think of what the low-down, dirty, rotten thing Calhoun has personally done to you, but man, you may need to get over it. Have family, long time UConn fans, in CT who've lost faith in Calhoun because they think he's recruiting thugs now instead of Emeka Okafurs. Kinda like USF east. So how do you feel about the Dons? Seems like you could use a change of subject...;)

Following college sports is expensive time wise, not to mention the money that could be spent on other things. I expect more for my 25 year commitment than this crap.

Tell you what, go down the road with Few for 25 years investing your time and money, see the NBA talent parade through there, get use to deep runs in the NCAA and National Championships, then take it all away in one year. Then have him add insult to injury and sell this kind of talent as legit.

The Dons, got sold out there too. Hogan stepped up to the plate, got rid of Matthews, hired Evans after making an unsuccessful run on UConn's Clyde Vaughn, then he threw in the towel and left town.

The Zags seem to be my best bet on the West Coast. They have talent, no wrinkles in the recruiting process yet, a bit nieve fan base but thats much better than having to deal with the latte sipping Cardinal and Buin fans.

upan8th
12-02-2007, 11:00 PM
For the record: The Zags, year in and year out, have been one of the worst teams in the WCC at covering the spread. And you can ask Bob Z, most of us are perfectly aware that GU's modest success in the last eight years (no final fours, a few NBAers) is, compared to the Dukes, UConns and NC's of the world, a flash in the pan. If it's a gold clad, pedigreed, west coast rooting interest you're after, I'd suggest looking at UCLA. Whaddaya think?

exiledhusky
12-03-2007, 12:16 AM

Besides, I'm not all that critical of JC, I am pis--- at him for losing recruits in 06 then more of the same in 07. In so far as his tactics and weeding out policies go, fine with me. He didn't write the book on circumventing the rules. If you wan to win in the East, that's what you do. Syracuse will take a blue chip in September and send him packing in December if he is less than advertised. Bring'em in weed'em out.

I'd say Okafor was more the exception that the rule. UConn has always had less than model citizens on the team. If you did a role call on CCI Storrs, it would look like a first team BE. Selvie/Hayward/Fair/Dulin/Hamilton/Kellog/Williams/Price/El Amin/Gordon/Wrenn all are either doing time or did time or got busted for one thing or another. That doesn't include the shenanigans behind the scenes.