PDA

View Full Version : Zags opened some eyes today (Fox sports column)

FuManShoes
12-02-2007, 12:53 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/7514212

As proud as the Zags should feel after gutting out a couple road games, I sure hope they're not feeling too good and taking WSU for granted. This is a huge game and nothing will come easy against a Cougs squad that's feeling pretty good itself these days.

MBZags
12-02-2007, 02:14 AM
I wouldn't define the enviornment against UCONN as 'hostile' but point well taken.

Air Force Zag
12-02-2007, 03:26 AM
I can't believe, given the gritty nature of these last couple of wins (or more importantly, the loss to TT), that this team is taking anyone for granted. The Zags realize they will be playing #6 in the nation...have a little payback in mind...and 6000 rabid, screaming fans will help them stay focused should they, God forbid, need extra focus. Watching the WSU - Baylor game, I am struck how unexpectedly similar these teams (GU & WSU) look at this stage of the year. This will be a great game.

Also, as the article points out, this road trip was important...perhaps more important than a schmuck like me realized before they departed on it, now that I see the assessments coming out afterwards. These wins almost mean more for the program aspect than the player. Gonzaga's scheduling strategy depends on playing tough games early and winning them (of course). Getting the sort of recruits we need to stay at this level requires national visibility...and not just in March. If GU comes into these games and lose, they fall out of the top 25 and could become an afterthought on Sportscenter and elsewhere...its just how it works. But they won, and they keep getting national respect in many media outlets for their toughness. No, polls aren't everything. No, this trip was not an end-all, be-all situation. But it certainly changes how the rest of this season unfolds. It keeps the next few (big big) games very relevant across the nation, not just in the Northwest.

jazzdelmar
12-02-2007, 04:35 AM
The Fox piece is way premature. We GU fans know that. The nat'l media just runs w silly stuff to fill space. This is a developing GU team. Lotsa flaws. Yes, two plyrs yet to come. Also, these were not vintage SJ and UCON teams. We whip WSU, the shouts will grow. Still, long way to go. One great dvlpment is St Marys. At last, two games in the WCC that will further steel this team. Too often, after a sterling OOC, we just mope thru the WCC and face Texas Tech in the NCs. Talk abt shock.

On the polly side. the plyrs have so much upside it's truly exciting. Esp Downs and Bouldin......I think Micah is the best all round plyr rt now. Daye has to settle down before he gets to the upside category. One question no one has asked here: The effect of Josh's return. Gray will help from the get go. But Josh steps in for who? I assume Kuso drops to 3d behind Sacre. But what about shots, defense, etc. It's not all good that a terrific plyr, mostly potential still, gets inserted....We shall see.

roxdoc
12-02-2007, 09:08 AM
Looks to me like Josh-Day-Downs-Pendo battling for 2 spots. Will Josh's "+" make up for the "-" created by taking out his replacement? Probably depends on who we are playing at the time.

LynetteG
12-02-2007, 09:16 AM
I loved the reader's comments below the article:

Rose_High98
12/1/2007
11:03 PM (report inappropriate content)

Zags you have a fan here in NC...even though I graduated from the only great university in the triangle-NCSU...I always pull for the NCSU Wolfpack and the Gonzaga Bulldogs...you guys and my Pack are going to do big things this year!!

donnasaytree
12/1/2007
9:47 PM (report inappropriate content)

Zags have great potential for a national championship. All they need is the two who are still on injury list. Go ZAGS

RaiderJim
12/1/2007
8:47 PM (report inappropriate content)

All this without Heytvelt and what follower of the ZAGS doesn't remember what he did last year against NC. He will be on a mission and that might be the final piece to this years puzzle.

lazerbot
12/1/2007
8:45 PM (report inappropriate content)

randar- i'm with ya.even if they don't do great,they should be fun to watch. go zags!

RanDar
12/1/2007
8:30 PM (report inappropriate content)

I love Gonzaga and root for them every year but even though they have gone as far as they have, I have never really considered them a favorite. Surprisingly enough, I do this year. WSU will be a big test for them this year.

lazerbot
12/1/2007
6:59 PM (report inappropriate content)

it's only been a matter of time. the time is now for the zags.it starts wed. when we kick the cougars to their first loss.go zags!

zag67
12-02-2007, 09:34 AM
Roxdox, I think that Josh and that group are really playing for most of the time of 3 positions, 3/4/5. The others are mostly 3/4 and Josh will be playing many minutes as a 5. So I think that Sacre and Kuso may also lose some time. Even now when Sacre and Kuso get into foul trouble or are not producing, you have seen the other group play for them. That is also one of the reasons that we get outboarded by many of the teams.

The good news, is this should make a coach smile. They are 7-1 and there top scorer last year has not played.

CDC84
12-02-2007, 11:42 AM
The game environment in Boston was not hostile (see St. Joe's - that was hostile), but it was a lot more challenging than I was expecting.

As proud as the Zags should feel after gutting out a couple road games, I sure hope they're not feeling too good and taking WSU for granted. This is a huge game and nothing will come easy against a Cougs squad that's feeling pretty good itself these days.

I don't think GU is going to be taking the Cougs for granted. They're ranked sixth in the nation, but more importantly, they beat Gonzaga last season. The Zags have every reason to believe that this is the most important game of the season so far. GU needs this game - they don't get many chances to bring a top 10 team into K2.

FrosTbear
12-02-2007, 12:06 PM
The only thing that we will be taking for granted is WSU is #6 and we want a "W". We know from last year the power of WSU and they will not be ready for a Zag team where everyone is a player, shooter, and defender. Get ready to YELL

gonzaga_is_life_itself
12-03-2007, 06:42 PM
Speaking of Fox Sports there is a poll under NCAA BB that asks if Gonzaga can make it to the Final Four or not.

Here's the website:
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk

Be a real Zag fan and vote A LOT!

ZagNative
12-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Speaking of Fox Sports there is a poll under NCAA BB that asks if Gonzaga can make it to the Final Four or not.

Here's the website:
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk

Be a real Zag fan and vote A LOT!
Zags being badly disrespected! This must not stand! Must start one of my insufferable poll-flogging threads. See you later.

LynetteG
12-03-2007, 08:03 PM
we need help, rally the troops!

Can GU make it to the FF?
Yes it can 13%
It's a possibility 24%
Unlikely 37%
Not a chance 26%
Votes 7,009

former1dog
12-03-2007, 08:05 PM
we need help, rally the troops!

Can GU make it to the FF?
Yes it can 13%
It's a possibility 24%
Unlikely 37%
Not a chance 26%
Votes 7,009

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=7522

:D :lmao: :D ;)

zzzjag
12-03-2007, 08:15 PM
Did I read that article right referencing Gray as one of the premier shooters in college?

I knew he was a high recruit but never knew he was already considered a premier shooter in the nation without playing one game yet in his college career.

I do recall some quotes from Coach Few stating he was right there about to crack the starting lineup. I also noticed one strange comment that may not have been posted when he was talking about the early strength of season schedule...that schedule was made thinking Josh would be in the lineup. Wasn't the schedule made before Josh was officially reinstated?

Any one that can shed some light on either of these two points?

Fonebone
12-03-2007, 09:52 PM
Was not officially reinstated, but they fully expected him to be based on what they saw in terms of his reaction to the situation, and more importantly, his approach to how he did what he was expected to do.