PDA

View Full Version : Game Story from the Hartford Courant

ZagNative
12-01-2007, 04:35 PM
Story:

UConn Men Lose To Gonzaga, 85-82 (http://www.courant.com/sports/college/husky/men/hcu-ucmen1201,0,5887032.story)

By MIKE ANTHONY | The Hartford Courant

BOSTON - No. 19 Gonzaga defeated UConn 85-82 in The Hartford Hall of Fame Showcase at the TD Banknorth Garden Saturday. A.J. Price's 25-foot three-pointer from the left skipped off the rim at the buzzer, ending one of the Huskies' most emotional and disappointing games in some time.

Opportunity lost. That's how coach Jim Calhoun felt about it. Then he was virtually at a loss for words.

Jeremy Pargo had 23 points, including eight late in the second half, as Gonzaga (7-1) closed out a cross-continental trip with another victory. Having played in the Great Alaska Shootout, the Bulldogs won at St. Joseph's in Philadelphia Thursday before heading to Boston.

"They looked like the fresh team and the team that knew how to win at the end and proved they were the better team," Calhoun said.
Calhoun faulted UConn's late defense.

"Pargo has made one three all year, but if you don't play him I guess he's going to make threes," Calhoun said. "Pargo played terrific. He has not played quite well lately. But once he found UConn he was able to play real well. A lot of guys got better today, I'm sure."
"That's about as physical of a game as we've played in quite a while," Gonzaga coach Mark Few said. "I think UConn is the most physical team in the country, so this was a great barometer. . . . This was a great sweep for us."

sittingon50
12-01-2007, 04:54 PM
Great backhanded compliments to Pargo & the Zags.

What a clown.

TexasZagFan
12-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Thanks for posting, ZN!

If WCC refs had been calling that game, both teams would be playing one-on-one the last five minutes of the game.

That was an excellent, hard-fought game.