PDA

View Full Version : Still need a leading scorer

cggonzaga
11-30-2007, 11:28 AM
2nd half proved my point. 5-28 at one point? Offense has to run through somebody. Might just have to wait until Josh is back I guess.

sdzag
11-30-2007, 11:32 AM
If you noticed at the end of the game when Pargo started to drive and get to the basket good things started to happen. If he can take that and make it into a complete game he could be somthing really special.

ZagsGoZags
11-30-2007, 11:39 AM
I will be glad when Josh can play again, but I cannot assume he will lift us as far as many people think. We lost a lot of games last year with him. I hope he is willing to play in the niche Few asks of him. Sometimes he seems to agree with people, then play just the way he pleases. And I hope he won't be daydreaming during the game this year. I hope his attitude will rise to the level of his basketball talents. And if he wants to be a 3 or 4,and not a 5, I hope he will become a better ball handler. And I hope he will have Gonzaga on his mind more than the NBA on his mind.

I am looking forward to his return, and I do think it will help us if he is a team player, like he was last year at times.

cggonzaga
11-30-2007, 03:58 PM
Agree and disagree. Josh was definitely the most dominant player on the team last year at times. There wasn't a lot around him though. This year is way different. The opposing coach is going to have to either double him or not. If you double him the other guys will kill you. If you guard him straight up Josh wins that matchup against anybody in the country. This team will be way better offensively when Josh returns. I think Kuso will love having him back as he'll be able to gobble up anything Josh misses.

theothegreat21
11-30-2007, 04:07 PM
In regards to the original point, I dont believe that this team needs to have a dominant or leading scorer. Many of the shots that were missed during that stretch were good open looks. I think its just a matter of time before Micah and Matt are consistenly making these open looks. It even seems over the last couple of games that Matt's shooting is starting to really improve. When we get Steven back that outside shooting will improve even more. As mentioned above, we need Pargo to be in the mindset of taking the ball to the hoop and attacking, because at times he can make offense out of nothing.

I think the importance of a healthy Josh to this team is the difference between a sweet 16 and a final 4 capable team this year. As Josh demonstrated, usually inconsistently, he can be one of the most dominant players in college basketball. He can dominate in the low post both on offense and on defense, and if left open can hit the open 3. His return will take this team to another level on the offensive end, and it will be scary how many weapons this team will have

Reborn
11-30-2007, 04:33 PM
I think last night's game showed me a lot about who can do what on offense. The main guy for the Zags on offense, imo, was Austin Daye. He can create his own shot, and that IS a requirement, imo, of a go to guy. Saint Joe's was really tough on D, but as I saw it, they really had a difficult time guarding Daye. Time after time he was able to get his shot off.

Now his shooting percentage was not all that great I think because he's still trying to define himself and his role on this team, and I think the team is having a little difficulty accepting him as the go-to guy. At the end of the game, and at the end of regulation, Bouldin was taking the ball out of bounds and could have easily have inbouncs to Daye. He chose to go to Pargo and pargo went one for two, and Daye was 6-6. Also at the end of regulation when Pendo took the last shot, Daye was open but they passed him up and went to Pendo. Now Pendo is a very good catch and shoot guy, but is not a guy who can create for himself. And he showed that as he bricked his shot. Sure was great seeing Downs hit the boards for the tip-in. He missed a pretty easy shot, and all of a sudden I felt a panic as I remembered the Blake Step missed layup against Arizona in the National Div I Tournament in March.

I say Bouldin is also capable and he really stepped it up last night, at one point scoring 6 straight points. I think the guys are defining themselves, and by the Tennessee game I believe are roles are going to be pretty clear. I think BZ showed a lot of insight when he advised us to be patient, that the Zags were going to be developing slower than usual. I think we've seen that. It really does take time to build chemistry. In the mean time the Zags have shown a lot of guts.

sittingon50
11-30-2007, 05:26 PM
Not to compare Josh to one of the better baseball player's around, but try this analogy: What happens when you take Albert Pujols (or Bonds or Guerrero or Ramirez or whomever) out of the middle of their teams lineup? There is a trickle down effect that effects the whole lineup. You get speedy leadoff hitters trying to hit doubles or triples, contact hitters trying to hit homers; guys trying to do too much to try to pick up the slack. Once you insert the thumper back in the lineup, everyone can go back to playing to their strengths, not trying to do too much.

It seems to me that a couple of the guys are trying too hard. Seasoned major leaguers do it, I'm not surprised that 19 yr. olds do it. Once Josh & Steven get back to help pull on the Zag rope in this NCAA tug-of-war, I think you'll see a much better TEAM.

CDC84
11-30-2007, 05:49 PM
I'm just glad Gonzaga got a shot off last night at the end of regulation. It wasn't an ideal look for Pendo, but it was at least a shot attempt with enough time left on the clock for Downs to grab the board and attempt a put back.

GU69
11-30-2007, 06:11 PM
The main guy for the Zags on offense, imo, was Austin Daye. He can create his own shot

And that is the difference between listening on the radio and watching.

I had not picked up on Austin's ability to create his own shot, and was left mostly with the disappointment of a low shooting percentage. I was missing a key part.

I also think, as other posters have pointed out, that Austin may be suffering from Adam's famous freshman problem of not knowing the plays.

In any case, I am not sold on the idea of needing one identifiable go-to guy for the offense. I have confidence in Downs, Pendo, and Bouldin's shots (notwithstanding that horrible dry spell in the second half against St. Joeseph's) and I am willing to let any of them be the "go-to" guy at any particular time.

BobZag
11-30-2007, 06:14 PM
Not to compare Josh to one of the better baseball player's around, but try this analogy: What happens when you take Albert Pujols (or Bonds or Guerrero or Ramirez or whomever) out of the middle of their teams lineup? There is a trickle down effect that effects the whole lineup. You get speedy leadoff hitters trying to hit doubles or triples, contact hitters trying to hit homers; guys trying to do too much to try to pick up the slack. Once you insert the thumper back in the lineup, everyone can go back to playing to their strengths, not trying to do too much.

It seems to me that a couple of the guys are trying too hard. Seasoned major leaguers do it, I'm not surprised that 19 yr. olds do it. Once Josh & Steven get back to help pull on the Zag rope in this NCAA tug-of-war, I think you'll see a much better TEAM.

sittingon50 hits a homer. Exactly right.

cg is also spot on re: the problems Josh presents. That's about 3 more problems for opposing teams to worry about.

kiroczag
11-30-2007, 06:23 PM
The leading scorer on this team is probably going to change every game. Fine by me. Outside of the return of Josh, the thing I'm most looking forward to is seeing what happens when Micah gets in the groove with his outside shot. I think a lot of other things are going to fall into place when that happens. As far as Josh goes, I hope everything that's happened to him has generated a three-alarm fire in his belly that makes Ammo's drive and passion look like bored indifference.

RenoZag
11-30-2007, 08:19 PM
sittingon50 hits a homer. Exactly right.

cg is also spot on re: the problems Josh presents. That's about 3 more problems for opposing teams to worry about.

BZ what's your view on the experience that Matt, Robert, and Micah are getting in this stretch w/o JH and SG ?