PDA

View Full Version : Take That! Bulletin editors!

SintoZag
11-30-2007, 05:40 AM
I will let the editorial speak for itself.

In defense of the Kennel Club
By: Bryan Roessler
Posted: 11/30/07
Over the past few weeks, faithful Bulletin readers have no doubt witnessed a flurry of press regarding the events surrounding this year's Kennel Club board. As a devoted Gonzaga basketball fan and current Kennel board member, I would like to resolve some issues raised by our students and faculty.

The current policy of the Kennel board does not encourage or condone underage drinking. We have made great strides this year to comply with Gonzaga's wishes regarding pre-Kennel house parties and more importantly, state law regarding underage drinking, by moving social club functions to the bars.

For those students 21 and older, the choice to consume alcoholic beverages is a personal choice protected by the laws of our state and country.

I am not here to argue the moral implications of consuming alcohol other than to note its prevalence and social standing in places other than our university.

In response to concerns regarding inappropriate cheers at games, I must remind them that the purpose of the Kennel Club has, and will always be, to support Gonzaga basketball in a positive manner.

The infamous chants from years past were not started by, nor encouraged by Kennel board members, nor do we have any intention of starting such chants this year.

We will do everything in our power to limit profanities and inappropriate cheers, yet we cannot be held responsible, as it has been implied we should be, for the rest of our Kennel Club members.

I must next attend to the lackluster job The Bulletin has done in the past weeks regarding factual inconsistencies and the choice of articles it has chosen to include in its student publication.

In response to the article titled "Women admitted to Kennel board," I must point out that this has not been the first time, even in recent years, that women have served on the Kennel board.

During the 2003-04 basketball season a woman named Jamie Gustavson served (loudly and proudly, I've heard) on the Kennel board and during the 2002-03 basketball season, Jodi Elosi - also a woman - actually served as a co-president.

How these facts could be overlooked, I don't know, but it does a great disservice to the reputation of the Kennel board, including the legacy of these important women in Kennel history.

I'd venture to guess neither would be too fond as being remembered as members of the "old boys club."

I must also specifically address the column titled "Kennel spirit hung over," in which many unwarranted claims were leveled against the Kennel board and, ultimately, its members.

To publish such an insinuating and antagonistic article is a disservice to the cohesiveness of our small university. To include comments about the attire of our university's women (who sport fashionable red T-shirts) as well as the perceived drinking habits of our men serves as nothing but shock-value bait.

To address some credible concerns, the Kennel Club has been undergoing significant changes since 2003, when the Gonzaga administration chose to trademark the phrase "The Gonzaga University Kennel Club" in an effort to curb underage drinking.

No longer a completely student-run organization, we have experienced pressure from students to maintain the status quo of prior years, and pressure from the school administration to make the changes necessary to ensure that their club is no longer a liability for potential lawsuits.

I only hope that our members will bear in mind that the alleged problems raised in The Bulletin these past few weeks, facetious or otherwise, should not be solely directed at this year's Kennel board.

Mr. Sandberg can burn all the witches he wants, but the underlying fact is that we are all responsible for ensuring that the Kennel remains the toughest, most respected college basketball arena in the nation. We don't make it great, you do.

Bryan Roessler is a senior at Gonzaga and a member of the Kennel board.

Editor's note: The Gonzaga Bulletin issued a correction for "Women admitted to Kennel board" in the Nov. 16 edition of the Bulletin. Copyright 2007 The Bulletin

LongIslandZagFan
11-30-2007, 05:47 AM
:clap:

Bravo Mr. Roessler. Bravo.

ZagsGoZags
11-30-2007, 05:56 AM
The Ultimate potential power of the Kennel Club (and rest of the fans) to be the 6th player on the floor is not how loud and well they cheer when the team is scoring, but how well they do at the real challenge:

PICK UP THE ENERGY WHEN YOUR TEAM IS DOWN !!

DON'T LET THE OTHER TEAM'S SCORING STRING TAKE THE CROWD OUT OF THE GAME !!

75Zag
11-30-2007, 06:57 AM
When I was at GU in 71 -75 the Dean of Student Life attended the freshman keggers at Catherine Monica. You could get high by inhaling the marijuana smoke wafting out of Desmet as you walked to class at 8:00 on Wednesday morning. The Bulletin - edited by a wildly leftist woman whose first name was Rose - mostly published articles about Black Power and civil disobedience demonstrations to stop the Vietnam War.

I'm not saying things were better when I was there, and I know from my daughter who graduated from GU in 04 that things have gotten more conservative in Spokane and at GU, but the idea that the Bulletin is running "anti-drinking" editorials about the Bulldog Club is very strange to this old Bulldog.

Great win for the Bulldogs last night, and here's hoping they do it again on Saturday.

Psychozag
11-30-2007, 07:25 AM
It sounds to me that it has less to do with anti-drinking and conservatism than how letigous we have become. I just wonder if a drunk Kennel Club student was hit by a car or whatever, could they really sue GU?

TheBeast
11-30-2007, 07:37 AM
Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Sintozag.
Mr. Roessler has done an excellent job here.

SintoZag
11-30-2007, 09:39 AM
I am going to bump this once just because! :D

zagfan07
11-30-2007, 09:50 AM
When I was at GU in 71 -75 the Dean of Student Life attended the freshman keggers at Catherine Monica. You could get high by inhaling the marijuana smoke wafting out of Desmet as you walked to class at 8:00 on Wednesday morning. The Bulletin - edited by a wildly leftist woman whose first name was Rose - mostly published articles about Black Power and civil disobedience demonstrations to stop the Vietnam War.

Man I wish I was alive in the 70's. Where's the Delorian when you need it?

rennis
11-30-2007, 09:59 AM
I'm not saying things were better when I was there, and I know from my daughter who graduated from GU in 04 that things have gotten more conservative in Spokane and at GU, but the idea that the Bulletin is running "anti-drinking" editorials about the Bulldog Club is very strange to this old Bulldog.

Even this semi-young Bulldog who graduated in 2001 is shocked at the conservative ways around GU...it's hard to believe it has changed so much in 6 years.

No offense to the Bulletin author (great job by the way) but limiting underage drinking and profanity would be the antithesis of our objectives just 6 or 8 years ago. My how things have changed! And not for the better, if you ask this Bulldog. :(

I say let the verbal abuse of other teams and pre-game libations live-on! Viva La Kennel!!!

st. al
11-30-2007, 11:59 AM
so i didn't want to get involved...but i will, because sandberg is a friend of mine, and a GU hoops fan, just like the rest of you.

The first thing that was asked to me (and I'm pretty sure I could have still passed for a middle school kid) when I picked up my kennel club tshirt freshman year was..."you want to buy the social club key chain too, all the beer you can drink!"

Now, I realize that the social club and kennel club are technically different entities, but, they seemed like they didn't have any trouble helping eachother out. So to say that the kennel club didn't or doesn't or won't support underage drinking is pretty much rediculous. All that being said, it's college, drinking will happen, and steven certaintly understands that. He just doesn't feel it should define the kennel club experience. Bottom line though, we just gotta help our team win. To each their own.

SintoZag
11-30-2007, 12:17 PM
All that being said, it's college, drinking will happen, and steven certaintly understands that. He just doesn't feel it should define the kennel club experience. Bottom line though, we just gotta help our team win. To each their own.

I DO!

Seriously, I know that is not what it is about now and maybe it shouldn't be(man I am getting old), but that is what it was about in beginning.(right Beast) A reason to get together and drink beer out of keg and go root on your team.

BroncoZAG615
11-30-2007, 12:34 PM
st. al, that is really surprising to me that they said "all the beer you can drink". A few good friends of mine are on Kennel Board and when I bought my t-shirt they told me that if you are 21 you are given a social pass to go to the bars before and after the game and the Kennel Board has a tab that can be used by club members.

Many e-mails have been sent out telling those of us not quite 21 that there are activities on-campus for us. These events are sadly alcohol free but include many fun activities for students that choose not to drink.

This years Kennel Board is much more toned down than my previous years where house parties with kegs were held and age did not matter. Drinking will happen, it just seems with all this information, Mr. Sandberg did not do all the research necessary to put out such a bold article.

kdoggy
11-30-2007, 01:04 PM
The toothpaste is out of the tube, I'm afraid. We can't turn back the clock to a time where the basketball program was small-time and its student fan group was even smaller. You simply could get away with more when you were a smaller renegade operation. When you are the most high profile school sanctioned club, you are subjected to the rules of the University and under the public microscope. That's life, I guess. I don't think anyone is to a blame. I think the beast is now eating itself and its not a big deal. Students will continue to go nuts for their Zags regardless.

It all started when Gonzaga University adopted the KC for its advertising campaign. They were great and clever ads, but at that point the KC became a high profile representive of the University. At that point I knew, the spirit and essence of the Kennel Club, as I knew it, was gone. And, I am not one to say we were an admirable group. Sure we had some fun, but we had no business representing the University and the separation between the Administration and the KC was mutually convenient. Fr. Couglin once got a letter from the Portland Adminstration because of our crass and rude behavior. He was able to simply wash his hands of it.

Universities have long tradition of secretive, nonaffiliated organizations and societies. Sometimes as they grow and become more organized they become interwoven into the fabric of the university. If someone wants to have a pregame party, have a party, but never do it under the auspices of the Kennel Club. Frankly, the university or the Kennel Club should not have to be responsible for policing underage drinking before basketball games. Its a futile effort and an assumed liability neither should undertake. I think the idea that there are official drinking parties (underage or of age) is playing with fire. At this point, give people a t-shirt and let them worry about getting their own buzz on before the games.

st. al
11-30-2007, 01:12 PM
st. al, that is really surprising to me that they said "all the beer you can drink". A few good friends of mine are on Kennel Board and when I bought my t-shirt they told me that if you are 21 you are given a social pass to go to the bars before and after the game and the Kennel Board has a tab that can be used by club members.

it was the 05-06 season when that occured, so this was still the house party days...sounds like the thing has changed sinse then. And I will add that if I had been 21 at the beginning of this season, I would have loved to have been a part of that, it does sound like fun, and a vast improvement over the old way.

sharpzag- really???

TheBeast
11-30-2007, 01:41 PM
Seriously, I know that is not what it is about now and maybe it shouldn't be(man I am getting old), but that is what it was about in beginning.(right Beast) A reason to get together and drink beer out of keg and go root on your team.

Crap, dude, we're all getting old. I won't bother re-typing what I've said in the past, so here's a link to my diatribe in a previous thread.
http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showpost.php?p=104492&postcount=36

MedZag
11-30-2007, 01:44 PM
The toothpaste is out of the tube, I'm afraid. We can't turn back the clock to a time where the basketball program was small-time and its student fan group was even smaller. You simply could get away with more when you were a smaller renegade operation. When you are the most high profile school sanctioned club, you are subjected to the rules of the University and under the public microscope. That's life, I guess. I don't think anyone is to a blame. I think the beast is now eating itself and its not a big deal. Students will continue to go nuts for their Zags regardless.

It all started when Gonzaga University adopted the KC for its advertising campaign. They were great and clever ads, but at that point the KC became a high profile representive of the University. At that point I knew, the spirit and essence of the Kennel Club, as I knew it, was gone. And, I am not one to say we were an admirable group. Sure we had some fun, but we had no business representing the University and the separation between the Administration and the KC was mutually convenient. Fr. Couglin once got a letter from the Portland Adminstration because of our crass and rude behavior. He was able to simply wash his hands of it.

Universities have long tradition of secretive, nonaffiliated organizations and societies. Sometimes as they grow and become more organized they become interwoven into the fabric of the university. If someone wants to have a pregame party, have a party, but never do it under the auspices of the Kennel Club. Frankly, the university or the Kennel Club should not have to be responsible for policing underage drinking before basketball games. Its a futile effort and an assumed liability neither should undertake. I think the idea that there are official drinking parties (underage or of age) is playing with fire. At this point, give people a t-shirt and let them worry about getting their own buzz on before the games.

As someone who was at Gonzaga during the time this happened, I think this is a fantastic synopsis.

My freshman year, you bought a keychain, you went to pregame parties, you went to the game in the old Kennel, you went to postgame parties. The beer was always plentiful, the game spirit was always high, and it was a fantastic social experience.

The year the university began to integrate the KC into its athletics advertising was also the year a GU student was hospitalized after being hit across the face with a beer stein at a KC party (by a non-GU student I might add). I think the incident really proved as a polarizing point that demonstrated the old KC ways and the new university KC could not coexist. So the university began to crack down to free itself of liability (understandably and justifiably). I have been critical of the university's methods but it was an unfortunate consequence of the situation. If such an incident didn't happen in the first year, it would have happened eventually and the university would have to have taken action.

By the time I graduated, KC social functions were relegated to the over 21 bars environment only and the "old KC" traditions were largely dead. It's just the nature of the beast.

BC1210is
11-30-2007, 02:35 PM
Man things are certainly changing fast with the KC and at GU. As a semi-recent graduate, I fully support the current board and most of the changes. However, all I know about this recent situation is from what I read on this board every day.
I am sure what this may offend some members. However, when I was in the kennell club I was embarrassed and thought it was actually pathetic when board members and general members would show up to games so drunk that they could not even make it throughout the game without getting thrown out. I was a fan long before I started at GU and before we became an elite program. I was one of the most vocal and dedicated fans without getting wasted before the games. Of I course I don't discourage drinking before, during, or after the games but please; if you can't remember the game, stay for the whole game, yell at the horrible WCC refs and oppenents, what kind of fan are you?

Just wanted to show some support for Pres Roessler.

ZAG UP GU!
-love the phrase used by coach loyd and think the KC should incorporate it

SintoZag
11-30-2007, 06:34 PM
:vomit-smiley-007:

I think I am just going to stick to my memories of the "good old days", it is much easier to live in that world than it is to listen to younger people say how good it is to not have the Kennel club anymore.

I have it on good authority that the people in those first commercials might not have been totally sober....:D

fantasy world here I come.

BC1210is
11-30-2007, 07:02 PM
Sinto, did I say anything about how good it is to not have the Kennel club anymore? Yes, it has changed, probably some things are better while some aspects are worse. Is the kennel club a 6th man club or drinking club, or both? Maybe the emphasis has changed over the years, I haven't been to campus in a quite a few years so I don't know, maybe it has changed too much.

kdoggy
11-30-2007, 07:35 PM
But in reality it's simply 2 worlds colliding. 2 worlds that don't really mesh well. It is difficult to be drunken, rowdy, obnoxious and a pain to the opposing players while adhering to Gonzaga's ethos, not to mention the state, Federal and local laws.

It is all too serious for the main reason is that it is serious business. Big budgets, Boards of Directors, countless hours of organizing, monitoring alcohol consumption (sounds like foxes guarding the henhouse...lol) and all for what exactly? To put butts in the seats? To get students a little buzzed before the game? Students have been putting on colors and getting drunk and yelling at opposing at sporting events for over 100 years. From that standpoint, I think the KC management takes itself far too seriously. Somehow, I think the student crowd could keep the "bull***" cheer going without formal KC leadership. The fact that they brislte at some miserable busybody at the school paper getting uptight at their antics really isn't befitting of any Kennel Club that I would want to join. If you ain't getting some bad pub, you ain't doing you're job.

zag69
11-30-2007, 08:14 PM
It seems to me that we all agree that players like Josh have to be more circumspect in their behavior because (1.) they are representing this Jesuit University, and (2.) the program is big-time and therefore under greater media scrutiny. Like it or not, the Kennel Club also represents the University, and at least some students appear to be tarnishing GU's reputation in front of guests and TV cameras.

It could be asked: does the team really play better while listening to some drunken students screaming obscenities?

Disclaimer: I am old and am embarrassed by some of my behaviors as a Zag. I remember how much fun it was.