PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga Doesn't Mind Traveling To Play UConn

caduceus
11-30-2007, 12:51 AM
Guess UConn is our guest at the BIS next year. I suppose many of you know that, but news to me.

Hartford Courant:

Link (http://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-ucmnotes1130.artnov30,0,5425982.story)

STORRS - UConn will do some light traveling today, busing about 85 miles to Boston for Saturday's game against Gonzaga in The Hartford Hall of Fame Showcase.

The Bulldogs will have logged a lot of miles. Gonzaga played three games at the Great Alaska Shootout before returning to Spokane, Wash. The team then traveled to Philadelphia for Thursday's 70-65 overtime victory over St. Joseph's and was scheduled to arrive in Boston today.

Weary?

<snip>

This is the first game of a two-game neutral site series between UConn and Gonzaga, who will play at Key Arena in Seattle next season. The neutral court provides a tournament atmosphere and travel experience.

"Teams don't feel as threatened and I don't feel as threatened," Calhoun added. "We don't want to play in a 6,000-seat [arena] in Spokane, and they probably don't want to play here at Gampel."

zagfan07
11-30-2007, 07:48 AM
I don't think we would mind playing on their home court, but there's no way Calhoun would come into the Kennel. I would love to see some home and homes with teams like Duke, UConn or Tennessee but none of those big programs will dare come into our gym. It's another compliment to the kennel club and the GU faithful.

MDABE80
11-30-2007, 08:03 AM
Looks like our beloved K2 is too small for the big programs. No doubt the kennel club has something to do with "fear" but it's the size of the place IMO. I wish we could have afforded 3 or 4 more thousand seats back then. Although it wouldn't be the most thrifty addition, I suppose we could add 2 K seats but it would be hugely expensive. It's a lot easier to go the Arena to add those 4 to 6 k seats. I suspect this is what Admin decided a few years back. Im surprised Calhoun would say 6 K seats wasn't satisfactory.

harryzag
11-30-2007, 08:19 AM
There were talks of making the K2 bigger however adding 1,000 seats equates to around $1 million in extra construction cost. The athletic department determined that the cost of adding extra seats could not be recovered during the projected life of the stadium.

I think that if we make a final 4 or win a national championship we will start seeing marquee games at K2. As of now, the Spokane Arena is the best bet aside from Seattle.

kdaleb
11-30-2007, 08:27 AM
"Teams don't feel as threatened and I don't feel as threatened," Calhoun added. "We don't want to play in a 6,000-seat [arena] in Spokane, and they probably don't want to play here at Gampel."
I can't get over this. We didn't mind playing at St. Joe's, but no way would we want to play at Gampel. Might feel too threatened. Sure.

gamagin
11-30-2007, 08:31 AM
<< I wish we could have afforded 3 or 4 more thousand seats back then. >>

The economics of that has been fairly well discussed here before . . . but I have approached garco (which built it as you know) and asked them just how expensive it would be to redesign those luxury booths and even the TV studios at the east end to make as many additionl seats as possible.

that woud not be prohibitively expensive.

the fat cats would still be sitting in the front row, which they paid for, and perhaps have to walk all the way to herak for their dove under glass, but a few hundred seats at each end could likely be placed where no more than 30-40 people now reside.

Or, failing that, there is space above the boxes.

the box fans could even carve out some space behind (athletic ofice or somesuch) for some sort of special treatment if necessary, like the red carpet service at the airports.

the tv studio, directors booth etc etc does not need a view, either, since most are directing the monitors and shooters. so that space could be seats, as well as the space above and behind the entryways at all ends. I recommend they go up into the rafters where there is plenty of space.

fruit for thought anyway. . . or for the future.