PDA

View Full Version : The No Post Offense

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-29-2007, 08:32 PM
Great move by Coach Few with around 5 minutes left in the game when he removed Kuso and went with a no post lineup of Pargo, Bouldin, Downs, Pendo, Daye. The offense opened up A LOT...keyed our comeback and Few stuck w this rotation throughout OT except of course getting Kuso in for defensive possessions.
This No Post Offense is not a long term solution, but it's proving to be a great look to spring on opponents at key moment of the game or, in tonight's case, when there is no offensive flow. Daye's weakside block and Pargo's 'taking the chair out from under' his man when he was stuck guarding a big in the post were HUGE plays. Until JH and Steven Gray are back and the mighty, mighty Flex offense can run as intended (a la some other post in some other thread) I'm a big fan of the No Post Offense. Also loved the backdoor layup from Bouldin to Pendo (I think) and Dayes high-low pass to Bouldin in the post.

gamagin
11-29-2007, 08:37 PM
more. spot on.

plus, most of the shots went in.

best,

mgadfly
11-29-2007, 08:38 PM
The past few games we've seen teams put a lot of pressure on our guards. I wish the adjustment to the Princeton-esque cutting offense would have came a little sooner as it got our guys open for some easy buckets. When you can put that many solid passers and ball handlers on the court at once you might as well play to your strength. I liked it too.

drnoe
11-30-2007, 08:23 AM
Great move by Coach Few with around 5 minutes left in the game when he removed Kuso and went with a no post lineup of Pargo, Bouldin, Downs, Pendo, Daye.

Absolutely! This is their money lineup. They are the possession guys and scorers.

zzzjag
11-30-2007, 08:44 AM
This was going to be the topic that I was going to post today.

It was highly effective against W. Kentucky as well.

Teams have been preventing Pargo from breaking down the D and penetrating through zones and tough point guard D on him. He has been starting the entry pass on offense just over half court and the offense was becoming stagnant.

When the Zags went into this offensive set, I felt the game would be won.

jazzdelmar
11-30-2007, 08:54 AM
Great.....

former1dog
11-30-2007, 10:22 AM
It was a smart move on Few's part to go to the spread offense.

Hard to say why he delayed going to it. It did catch St. Joe's off guard, though, so maybe that had something to do with it.

CDC84
11-30-2007, 12:15 PM
I don't think you can underestimate what timing means in a basketball game. I think Few, like any good coach, deliberately keeps certain things close to the vest so that he can unleash them on an opponent at a time when they are not expecting it. Kind of like how we see teams every year in the NCAA tourney use a zone or a junk defense in the middle of a game to throw off an opponent. Making an opponent think too much in a basketball game can really help your cause, but it can only happen if the timing is right.

UberZagFan
11-30-2007, 12:29 PM
Uber was waiting for the change...after going for such a long stretch with a post line-up but a no post game, the inability to score was getting tiresome. Uber still misses the reliability of a JP-type post to put a stop to scoring draughts.