• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagNative
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Wow. If you haven't read this, you should

I stumbled on this from JP Batista's website today, and it knocked me out. I knew I loved JP, I knew he was a wonderful player and a great Zag, I knew he was a deeply religious man. But this prayer speaks to the role I would like faith to have in my life. It alternately gave me chills and made my eyes mist.

JP's Prayer

Thanks, JP!

We fans have been so blessed to have young men like these come into our lives! Personally, I think we should be grateful and cut them all the slack in the world and support them in whatever they do on the court for us, for their team, and for their school. They are with us all too briefly.
    • Oct 2007

Great Guy!

What a class act. It's a shame we only had him in a Zag uniform for two years. When his brother surprised him at his last home game, there wasn't a dry eye in the gym. Without him on the floor, there's no way Morrison would have led the country in scoring that year. Adam has JP to thank for his lottery selection.
    GU Class of '07

Comment

• Angelo Roncalli
      Bleeds Bulldog Blue
      • Feb 2007

Fr. Spitzer told me a story about JP. Apparently, JP came up to Fr. Spitzer after mass at St. Al's one Sunday morning, and appeared to be somewhat agitated. Fr. Spitzer asked him what was troubling him. JP told Fr. Spitzer he was concerned that there too many rooms in buildings at Gonzaga that didn't have crucifixes.
      You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

• omahazag
        Kennel Club Material
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
        Fr. Spitzer told me a story about JP. Apparently, JP came up to Fr. Spitzer after mass at St. Al's one Sunday morning, and appeared to be somewhat agitated. Fr. Spitzer asked him what was troubling him. JP told Fr. Spitzer he was concerned that there too many rooms in buildings at Gonzaga that didn't have crucifixes.
        Good for him...the same holds true at Creighton.

Comment

• ZagNative
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

There's a St. Joseph's connection here, too. From a story about JP on GoZags.com:
          "Coach (Mark) Few asked me to be the person who gave our team some balance this year," Batista said. "I am trying to be patient on the offensive end and score by getting good, down low position."

Few concurred following the Bulldogs New Year's Eve win over Saint Joseph's University by stating that Batista is a "big part of the heart and soul of this team" and may be the best low post player in the nation.

Saint Joseph's head coach Phil Martelli echoed those statements with his post-game comments saying, "We went into the game thinking we had the right way to defend Batista, but it didn't work out that way."

Batista torched the Hawks for a career-high 32 points and 15 rebounds as he reached double-figure scoring for the 12th time in 13 games to open the season. Now Batista turns his sites towards dominating the WCC as the Bulldogs open league play as overwhelming favorites to win their sixth straight WCC regular-season title.

Comment

• TheBeast
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

I just tried google and youtube for a video of the senior night when his brother surprised him, but couldn't find it anywhere. if someone has it saved, please post it here.
            I wear a helmet while internetting.
            sigpic

Comment

• former1dog
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

JP is a wonderful representative of Gonzaga.

Perhaps this is an unrealistic fantasy, but it sure would be nice that after JP's playing days are over that he comes backs and works at Gonzaga in some capacity.

Comment

• montanazag88
                Kennel Club Alum
                • Sep 2007

ZNative. Thanks for the thread. What a great reminder of how to live life, let alone play the game. Angelo's post reminds me of the impact Fr. Tony had on me and my friends at GU - the oyster stew lunches and the steak dinners at Wolf Lodge in Idaho followed by a gathering around the lake to finish off a bottle of Monk's Medicine. Tony always had life in perspective and had a unique, subtle way of sharing life lessons. JP seems like that kind of personality. Watching him on TV, there were moments when you would expect him to show wild emotion...instead he displayed a sense of calmness/maturity and comfort with himself that I have yet to see in another player. What a humbling prayer. Thanks.
                montanazag88
                P....A....TIENCE!

Comment

• HillBillyZag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

JB will always be a winner!

Thanks so much for sharing that prayer with us. Such an humble, Spiritual and sharing young man. Would that our son's grow into his like.
                  [/QUOTE]“Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team.”
                  ― Scottie Pippen

Comment

• strikezag
                    Bulldog Fan
                    • Jul 2007

I missed the senior night presentations and have always regretted it. I have searched for it several times on youtube without success. It would be fantastic if someone has a way to post it in its entirety.
                    "24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
                    - Stephen Wright

Comment

• bulldogshawn
                      Kennel Club Material
                      • Feb 2007

Starts at the 5:15 point

Comment

• TheBeast
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bulldogshawn View Post
                        I think that's the video I watched half a dozen times in a row, even. Thanks BDS!
                        I wear a helmet while internetting.
                        sigpic

Comment

• kclubfounder
                          Zag for Life
                          • Aug 2007

Awesome team - and a really fun video. I mentioned in an earlier thread the UCLA game almost forced me into therapy - because that team was capable of winning it all. It has also been mentioned by others that if we keep on kicking the door it will eventually break open. This year's team IS also capable.

Go Zags!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X