PDA

View Full Version : Richie McKay Fired

Angelo Roncalli
02-22-2007, 03:10 PM
UNM Lobos head coach Richie McKay (former UW assistant, Oregon State head coach, Portland State head coach) has been informed he will be fired at the end of the season.

sittingon50
02-22-2007, 04:02 PM
Wow, that was quick. Admit I haven't been following them that closely, but usually have an idea who's in the tank. Is it mainly W's, or something else?

LongIslandZagFan
02-22-2007, 04:06 PM
UNM Lobos head coach Richie McKay (former UW assistant, Oregon State head coach, Portland State head coach) has been informed he will be fired at the end of the season.

Man oh man how far that program has fallen.

CDC84
02-22-2007, 05:04 PM
My Dad, who works at UNM, is celebrating in the streets as we speak. He called me with excitement as soon as he found out the news this morning before the presser was announced....asking me if there were any good candidates out there. He's been waiting since March 28, 2002, for this to happen...the day that McKay was actually hired.

McKay was hired under the previous AD who was a total goofball, and most UNM fans didn't like the hire whatsoever. He was not the guy they needed after Fraschilla and Bliss. They needed a stand up, no nonsense guy who was a proven winner. McKay wasn't that guy back then, and it didn't take long for the new AD, Paul Krebs, to figure out that he wasn't presently.

In fact, McKay owes a lot to Danny Granger. He probably would've been canned earlier had Granger not almost single handedly won the MWC tourney a couple of years ago to get UNM in the NCAA's in a year where they had no chance in hell of getting in.

Oh I would love Krebs to give Mike Montgomery a call...............

IronLions
02-22-2007, 05:45 PM
Iím sure with Reggie Theus doing big things at New Mexico State, the Lobos didnít want to be left behind.

madzag
02-22-2007, 07:21 PM
CDC, I'll join your Dad in the dancing! It was so hard to come from GU and the program there as an undergrad to the program at UNM as a grad student. McKay has always struck me as a tad sleezy in interviews, etc and he always seems like he's not all that adept as a coach as well. One of the less-wonderful tv offerings in Albuquerque is the 'UNM Coaches Show' featuring the bball team this time of year and when watching it something about McKay bothers me, I'm not sure if it's because he seems to have a bit of a little man complex or what, but he's just patronizing and annoying on tv...

...now if UNM could just fire the newly hired president as well all would be good...

CDC84
02-22-2007, 09:02 PM
Gotta get the basement of Zimmerman fixed up first madzag. What a travesty, huh? They still don't know who lit the fire, although there is currently an arsonist on the loose who seems to like libraries. The students that were down there when it started going up in flames escaped through my Dad's office (which has since been relocated)......

Birddog
02-23-2007, 06:04 AM
...now if UNM could just fire the newly hired president as well all would be good...
Hey Mad, what's your beef? Just curious.

Birddog

jhoop
02-23-2007, 08:01 AM
Any chance Billy Grier would be looked at by the Lobos?

Ikancagin
02-23-2007, 09:47 AM
Any chance Billy Grier would be looked at by the Lobos?

Or Leon Rice?

madzag
02-23-2007, 02:08 PM
Gotta get the basement of Zimmerman fixed up first madzag. What a travesty, huh? They still don't know who lit the fire, although there is currently an arsonist on the loose who seems to like libraries. The students that were down there when it started going up in flames escaped through my Dad's office (which has since been relocated)......

The fire at Zimmerman was pretty crappy, but others were far more effected by it than me...I'm pretty stricly a North campus/Health Sciences Center type so I still had my library, and I was pretty much done with classes so I didn't really need they physical space (if medline goes down, I'm screwed though). It's pretty rough that all the old collections of stuff that were damaged/lost were there though. My boss' daughter worked there though and her job was pretty screwed up as well.

Hey Mad, what's your beef? Just curious.

Birddog

I don't like that the regents went against the faculty reccomendation for president (and the reccomendations of most other major campus/community groups). The last president was also hired without the approval of the faculty and he lasted all of one year (maybe a bit less) before resigning because he was thoroughly incompetent to lead a large academic institution. The sexual discrimination lawsuit while he was at Texas Tech also bothers me, even though it was dropped and who knows how solid the accusations were. Just kind of a gut feeling, I guess...

Or Leon Rice?

The names I've heard tossed around include Majerus (yeah, right. although it would get him off ESPN...) and a couple others, but the one that seems to be the early media/public favorite is Michael Cooper, the former Laker (& Lobo) and the current coach of the NBA d-league team in ABQ.

sittingon50
02-23-2007, 02:33 PM
Former pro Reggie Theus is doing well @ NMS; perhaps that opens the door a bit for Cooper.