PDA

View Full Version : The East Coast Swing

BobZag
11-27-2007, 10:35 AM
Gonzaga is in the middle of its toughest ooc road trip(s). The fellas did okay in Alaska, going 2-1. Now the team travels even farther to Philly and Boston.

Against St. Joe's (Thursday @5:00pm PDT, ESPNU), the Zags will face a tough defensive team, particularly their guards. It has been said that their frontline is strong with Nivens and a versatile Calathes. We can talk about the Hawks' talent all day long, but imo it's the true hostile gym that will be the Zags' biggest challenge to overcome. While Alaska was far from K2, it was still a pro-Zag arena and a neutral court. St. Joe's smallish Memorial Gym will be the first true hostile environment for these Zags. Gonzaga should win, but much will depend on how the coaches prepare the guys for this loud, raucous atmosphere. GU's toughness and ability to stick to the game plan under duress will be key. The Zags cannot panic or be taken out of their game by the crowd. The place will be jam-packed. We fans will see just how mentally tough, intense and focused this team is right now.

Against UConn (Saturday @12:30pm, ESPN2), the Zags will face a gigantic frontline, headed by 7'3" Thabeet. UConn has good, strong guards as well, who can shoot and/or drive. UConn has a history of beating the Zags by small margins (5 & 2) so Calhoun knows how to play GU. The atmosphere could very well favor the Zags as BC and Providence fans hate UConn for various reason, plus GU, BC and Prov are all Jesuit schools. UConn is a product of the state government.

Offensive execution can't stink again, or it'll be a loss. Defense can't stand and watch wide-open treys rain down, or it'll be a loss. Few & Staff have to gameplan the hell out of these two teams.

There will be no excuses.

Gonzaga must, and I mean must, bring more energy and effort to these two games than they have all year. If the guys do that, I love GU's chances. If the guys don't do that, we fans may see TTU Part 2, aka Puking All Over Ourselves.

former1dog
11-27-2007, 10:37 AM
Straight up, I'm predicting 2-0!

jazzdelmar
11-27-2007, 10:39 AM
what does LIZF, our East Coast seer, think.............

MDS03
11-27-2007, 11:09 AM
Providence College is actually Dominican... but they're as close to the Jesuits as you can get!

gamagin
11-27-2007, 11:21 AM
the lessons of TT & Butler cannot be overlooked this time. Or go unlearned.

that is have a plan and stick to it. don't give up. improve on it. adapt.

It need not be something done by rote or in lockstep with each contingincy, but it does need to be understood and executed as second-nature. as part of the flow.

It is time to really trust the other guy, let the open man shoot and crash the boards with reckless abandon.

As a team.

As TT did and as Butler did against TT.

It begins with the level of confidence and flows through to the game and executing.

We know we have the athletes. It's just a matter of them having the confidence in their abilities and looking past who it is they are playing to what it is they are playing to do: win.

LongIslandZagFan
11-27-2007, 11:28 AM
what does LIZF, our East Coast seer, think.............

Still not sure what to think of this team... but for some reason I am more concerned with St. Joe's than Puke-on... errr... UConvict... errr... UConn. Sorry the St. John's in me slipped there.

UConn hasn't beaten anyone of note. They struggled in game 1 against Morgan State... barely eeking out a win. Their only "real" game has been Memphis and they got the snot kicked out of them in the second half of that game.

St. Joe's pushed Syracuse to the end... Hawks make me nervous as all get out.

IMHO, with both games they need to play the game they played against VT... and not the TT and UCR games.

former1dog
11-27-2007, 11:30 AM
IMHO, with both games they need to play the game they played against VT... and not the TT and UCR games.

I'm cautiously optimistic that the boys learned their lesson vs. TT.

lothar98zag
11-27-2007, 11:42 AM
2 L's is unacceptable. 1 W is a must. 2 W's is a bonus.

IMHO, the single biggest factor in either game is the hostile crowd for the St Joe's game and how GU reacts/doesn't react to it.

jazzdelmar
11-27-2007, 11:44 AM
The Hawk Will Never Die

ZagMania
11-27-2007, 11:45 AM
I'm scared of St. Joe's for no particular reason, I've only seen them face Syracuse this year so I'm not sure how good they are. I really like our chances against UConn. I've never been impressed by Thabeet and our frontline isn't too small itself, however Dyson can light it up.

UberZagFan
11-27-2007, 11:56 AM
GU should return with two wins. As others have mentioned, the X factor is the hostile gym against St. Joe's--but Uber thinks they'll be fine. Kuso, Pargo and Pendo all have the experience with hostile gyms and they'll step up on Thursday. Is there any concern of looking forward to the WSU game?

Now because ESPNFU is not available at Uber's house, Uber will be forced to travel to a nearby establishment to watch the game. The question is: Should Uber return to the same establishment to watch the St. Joe's game where he watched the TT puke game (which had $2.75 pints of micro) or should he find a new venue? (Uber will definitely be wearing different GU gear that night).

drnoe
11-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Should Uber return to the same establishment to watch the St. Joe's game where he watched the TT puke game (which had $2.75 pints of micro) or should he find a new venue?

Damn, Uber...$2.75 for a pint of the good stuff? That's how much I have to tip for a micro down here. Maybe I should move to Tacoma. Zags win 2, but it will be tough. I'll be at home for both games, sucking down my $5.99/sixer Acme IPA.

Zagaholic
11-27-2007, 12:32 PM
I am hoping for 1-1 or 2-0, but expect 1-1. I expect St. Joe's to beat GU because it is an away game and Coach Martelli will have his team motivated and ready for GU. This will be the first true away game for GU (the GAS games if anything were more like home games than neutral games as the crowds were definitely pro-GU throughout the tournament, the local newspaper even commented on that). Also the St. Joe's gym is like the old Martin Center gym, it is a bandbox and the crowd will be loud and in the players' faces. Our freshmen have probably never experienced that kind of environment before. Since GU relied pretty heavily on Sacre and Daye in the GAS games, this could be a problem. I am guessing Sacre and Daye will struggle against St. Joe's. Hence, the veterans need to step up (Pendo, Pargo, Bouldin, Downs, Kuso, etc.).

For some reason I expect them to beat UConn (didn't they have a down year last year?).

MickMick
11-27-2007, 12:39 PM
Take care of the ball and make a few shots. Zags must improve in these areas to beat anyone.

HillBillyZag
11-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Game #1 Gonzaga vs Georgetown
Game#2 Xavier vs Creighton
Game#3 Loser vs Loser
Game 34 Winner vs Winner. Two great night of SOLD OUT College Hoops at the Spokane Arena. Someday, hopefully,it will happen.

BobZag
11-27-2007, 02:35 PM
GU should return with two wins. As others have mentioned, the X factor is the hostile gym against St. Joe's--but Uber thinks they'll be fine. Kuso, Pargo and Pendo all have the experience with hostile gyms and they'll step up on Thursday. Is there any concern of looking forward to the WSU game?

Now because ESPNFU is not available at Uber's house, Uber will be forced to travel to a nearby establishment to watch the game. The question is: Should Uber return to the same establishment to watch the St. Joe's game where he watched the TT puke game (which had $2.75 pints of micro) or should he find a new venue? (Uber will definitely be wearing different GU gear that night).

If the guys are looking ahead to WSU while playing St. Joe's and/or UConn, there should be immediate surgery to see if they have brains. That'd just be stupid.

Go to a different establishment, wear different attire and drink different beer. You already caused a loss the last time.

dim4sum
11-27-2007, 02:54 PM
Methinks, they will try to copy the Knight strategy of attacking the guards.
But if you know it's coming, Jeremy and Matt have to be prepared for it.
Sacrifice a little offense for the greater good and get the ball into the hands of the bigs, who can easily outfinesse UConn's bigs. A few more double-doubles by Jeremy would sit him well with pro scouts who are now looking for the next Steve Nash. Would also like to see Bouldin connect with a few more assists--or any permutation of a double-double; double boards, double points or double assists, double points. The thing I would love to see by a guard is a triple double consisting of points, steals and assists. I think only Jason Kidd has done that, maybe even a quadruple double (add boards) .

JAGzag
11-27-2007, 03:08 PM
A few more double-doubles by Jeremy would sit him well with pro scouts who are now looking for the next Steve Nash.

First, in GUboard land, Pargo is the greatest PG to ever lace up sneakers. With that said, last time I checked Nash could shoot the 3 and honestly, Pargo is struggling to say the least. Hope he has a quick turnaround!

Rangerzag
11-27-2007, 04:31 PM
Now because ESPNFU is not available at Uber's house, Uber will be forced to travel to a nearby establishment to watch the game. The question is: Should Uber return to the same establishment to watch the St. Joe's game where he watched the TT puke game (which had $2.75 pints of micro) or should he find a new venue? .

The real question in my mind is which establishment did UbeR visit that was showing a Zag game on ESPN360 and will they coincidentally also show the St Joe's game being broadcast on ESPNU. ;););)

When UbeR know's where, maybe he can let the rest of TacTown know.

LongIslandZagFan
11-27-2007, 05:22 PM

Uber, you double dipped and that caused the loss. You can't have a Zag game and cheap micros... shell out the cash for the micros and enjoy a win.

siliconzag
11-27-2007, 06:16 PM
At the risk of engendering the rath of all the true believers, our record agaisnt teams with legendary coaches is not fantastic. Howland, Knight, Coach K, Calhoun, Martelli, Monty, Izzo to name a few. These are high risk games of course, but we are pretty much on the short end of the stick most of the time we play these high profile coaches. I still am having nightmares about the UCLA implosion. And losing to Mr. "basketball is no ladies picnic" Knight (twice no less) is no picnic for sure. Calhoun has implied we are sissies once or twice, and it sure would make me happy to see the boys return 2-0 from their east coast swing. But I gotta say, I am not confident about this. Especially with our inconsistent guard play. I might just say a novena. Sili

Rangerzag
11-27-2007, 06:31 PM
I might just say a novena. Sili

That's goin' ta be a quick nine days ;););)

montanazag88
11-27-2007, 07:16 PM
Zags still looking for true point guard leadership to emerge. When that happens, look OUT. THese games will be tough given recent performance. Coach Few likes to stick to game plan..focus on things you can control and not so much the other team. New defense coach, RG, has his work cut out for him, but closer nose-to-nose D is still an opportunity for the Zags...love to see that develop into a GU trademark. If so, IMHO, games we have no business winning will be close at the end and ready for Coach Few's greatest strengths - 2-minute drills.

Northspokane
11-27-2007, 07:35 PM
Providence College is actually Dominican... but they're as close to the Jesuits as you can get!

Hence Friars:D

ZagsGoZags
11-27-2007, 07:39 PM
what is ooc
what is imo ?

El Voce
11-27-2007, 07:42 PM
The Voice is happy that Uber, also, speaks in the third person.

Northspokane
11-27-2007, 07:43 PM
Game #1 Gonzaga vs Georgetown
Game#2 Xavier vs Creighton
Game#3 Loser vs Loser
Game 34 Winner vs Winner. Two great night of SOLD OUT College Hoops at the Spokane Arena. Someday, hopefully,it will happen.

Can we sub in Marquette and BC in for Xavier and Creighton?

Or add St Joes and Seattle U and make it an 8 team tourney :bishop_smiley:

ZagNative
11-27-2007, 07:50 PM
Can we sub in Marquette and BC in for Xavier and Creighton?

Or add St Joes and Seattle U and make it an 8 team tourney :bishop_smiley:

Sili? You going to stand for seeing Creighton be cavalierly pitched like this?

sittingon50
11-27-2007, 08:33 PM
Haven't seen it yet this year, but it's about time for one of those 50 pt. first halves that the Zags throw out on occasion. Try it @ St. Joe's & take the crowd out of it.

Ziggy
11-27-2007, 08:52 PM
what is ooc
what is imo ?

Out of Conference/In my opinion

ZagsGoZags
11-27-2007, 10:09 PM
What is FWIW ?

UberZagFan
11-27-2007, 10:22 PM
If the guys are looking ahead to WSU while playing St. Joe's and/or UConn, there should be immediate surgery to see if they have brains. That'd just be stupid.

Uber agrees with BZ, but BZ must admit that the WSU game is enticing.

Go to a different establishment, wear different attire and drink different beer. You already caused a loss the last time.

Ubermistake..see below.

The real question in my mind is which establishment did UbeR visit that was showing a Zag game on ESPN360 and will they coincidentally also show the St Joe's game being broadcast on ESPNU. ;););)

When UbeR know's where, maybe he can let the rest of TacTown know.

Ah yes, Rangerzag is correct. Uber confused the WKU game with the puke game. Uber visited the establishment selling cheap micros during the WKU game and watched, errr listened to, the puke game at home on the puter.

Now that we have that cleared up, Uber will be returning to the same establishment for the St. Joe's game wearing the same attire as the WKU game to imbibe the same cheap micros. And so you know, Ranger is as always welcome to join the Uber clan.

LongIslandZagFan
11-28-2007, 05:24 AM
What is FWIW ?

Here is a good site to bookmark (http://members.aol.com/nigthomas/alphabet.html) to answer your acronym questions.

FWIW...

FWIW=For What Its Worth.

ZagMan in Philly
11-28-2007, 05:45 AM
Haven't seen it yet this year, but it's about time for one of those 50 pt. first halves that the Zags throw out on occasion. Try it @ St. Joe's & take the crowd out of it.

I like this approach! ;)

ZagsGoZags
11-28-2007, 06:13 AM
Thank you

ZagMan in Philly
11-28-2007, 07:14 AM
This east coast trip reminds me of the trip we made back in 2003 to D.C Area for the BB&T Classic.
It was a coming out game for AMMO in a national scene, he really had short hair then...for Daye now?

We played and beat Maryland on really their home floor...i was there..it was packed with Terp fans...and then we went on to beat GWashington in the next game.

I hope we will have 2-0 east coast trip again.

kitzbuel
11-28-2007, 07:17 AM
Here is a good site to bookmark (http://members.aol.com/nigthomas/alphabet.html) to answer your acronym questions.

FWIW...

FWIW=For What Its Worth.
Hmm...It doesn't have LIZF there.

Zag By the Bay
11-28-2007, 07:21 AM
This east coast trip reminds me of the trip we made back in 2003 to D.C Area for the BB&T Classic.
It was a coming out game for AMMO in a national scene, he really had short hair then...for Daye now?

We played and beat Maryland on really their home floor...i was there..it was packed with Terp fans...and then we went on to beat GWashington in the next game.

I was there too and those were two fun games to watch. Extra bonus that they served cold ones at the concession stand ;)

ZagMan in Philly
11-28-2007, 07:26 AM
I was there too and those were two fun games to watch. Extra bonus that they served cold ones at the concession stand ;)

it was a fun game against maryland..as i remember..Stepp has a huge day launching the threes.
I remember after the GW game...the team got together after the trophy presentation and gave us Zag fans some props and thanks...we were LOUD up in the corner section of the MCI Center. Very cool.

BobZag
11-28-2007, 09:26 AM
Hmm...It doesn't have LIZF there.

LIZF is her name = Liz Finkelstein. :D

lothar98zag
11-28-2007, 10:11 AM
:roll:

ZagNative
11-28-2007, 11:32 AM

Sorry to have to hijack this thread, but I can't resist the urge to post some great photos of great Zags from that Maryland game on December 6, 2003:

Blake:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/NBA/Blake/BlakeMarylandDecember62003bringball.jpg

Adam, with the great short hair:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/NBA/Morrison/Adam-MarylandDec32003BBTClassic.jpg

Ronny, with the truly fabulous tresses:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/NBA/Turiaf/Clipboard01.jpg

Erroll:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/NBA/Errol/2003-12-06-ErrolMarylandBBT-2.jpg

Boy, was that a great team! Love those guys!

GUinSTL
11-28-2007, 11:50 AM
I'm particularly excited for them to take on UConn. For years, I've wanted for the guys to be able to play that Elite 8 game over again. Sure, the faces will be different this time around, but I still want a little revenge, and will feel vindicated when the Zags romp on the Huskies.

~B

upan8th
11-28-2007, 12:11 PM
After watching them against Syracuse, I don't think St Joes likes getting involved in run and shoot ballgames. I'd love to see a Zag's starting lineup of Pargo, Bouldin, Gurganious, Daye and Downs play a half court trap press from the opening tip and hopefully cause lots of turnovers leading to fast break buckets. Blitz em, take the crowd out of it, and build on an early lead. Would love to see a plus 170 total score at the final buzzer. I feel confident the Zags would prevail handily in that kind of up and down contest.

LongIslandZagFan
11-28-2007, 12:51 PM

Ouch Bob. Very Ouch. :p