PDA

View Full Version : A true Zag fan ...

oczagfan
11-26-2007, 09:53 PM
I am new to this and am pretty sure it will be my one and only post, but a friend of mine who lives in Spokane (and swears ZAG fans are the most loyal and supportive) told me about a troublesome post that needed clarification. Below is the statement made by several posters and I am very curious as to why Austin Daye would be referred to as "Barack":

"Barack Daye was a disappointment. Just looks fragile. Talented and well intended but not ready for the brawl that's D1 (hoops or politics)"

For the record, everyone in Orange County is very proud of Austin's accomplishments, and I am certain they would be sickened to think that the inference had anything to do with the fact that both Austin and Barack are biracial. We are hoping that Austin is in a great place with wonderful people ... and appreciative fans that wouldn't dream of making such a ridiculous statement.

I am hoping that the comparison was made solely because both Austin and Barack are very strong and accomplished men of color that have captured the interest of many people.

My friend has insisted that cruelty is a rarity where true Zag fans are concerned ... but I hope everyone remembers that these are young men that don't deserve cheap shots (especially when it doesn't even pertain to basketball) They put themselves on display by doing what they love and the one safe haven they should always be able to count on is the loyal security of their own fans.

Fonebone
11-26-2007, 10:07 PM
Thanks for your post. I don't recall that post, but just from reading this one line that you posted, I can see a different interpretation.

The Line:
"Talented and well intended but not ready for the brawl that's D1 (hoops or politics)"

The knock on Barack is that even though he is talented and well intended, he does not have the experience or savy for the political brawl that he has gotten into. That is a function of his relative youth and innexperiance.

Hopefully, the poster was just making the comparison that Austin, while immensly talented, is likewise inexperienced and also thin, and he will have a tough time against more experienced, and much heavier and stronger opponents. If that is the case, then there would not necessarily be any of the racial connotations involved. The comparsion could apply to anyone.

At least that is sincerly my hope. Without knowing the intent of the poster, or having the whole post for context, I have no way of knowing. I do know that nothing of a negative racial content is ever allowed on this board, so the moderators would not have seen it in that light either. They have immediatley deleted and banned posters that get innapropriate.

By the way, I think that Austin is going to tear up the opposition this year. From what I have seen he has the skill, talent and competative nature to be affective on this level against anyone. Especially with the talent that he is surrounded by. He has done so so far, and with a few more games under hsi belt, I think he will be consistantly there. Also, I have been really impressed by his maturity, humility, and team approach in the interview and statements I have read so far. We are lucky to have a person of his talents and qualities as part of the family.

I hope that you do post again.

Nevtelen
11-26-2007, 10:16 PM
I vaguely remember the post I think and I (at least) took it to be a reference to the fact that both Daye and Obama soared in popularity very quickly after coming into the public eye (or Daye into the spotlight of D-I) while both had (in one view) accomplished relatively little (Daye a great showing in a couple of games only, Obama being newly elected to the Senate). While I felt the term was perhaps poking fun at how completely some fans had already jumped on the bandwagon of a relative newcomer, without being the poster myself, I would be honestly stunned to think there was any racial motive behind it. Whatever anyone's opinion of any of the Zags as a player, I can't believe anyone would attack any of them personally in a message.

ZagNative
11-26-2007, 10:19 PM
This is the thread that comment appeared in. http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=7137&highlight=Barack

FWIW, Jazzdelmar, who made the comment lives in southern California. He's not a local. I have no idea what meant by the remark, if anyone is going to explain, it should be Jazz.

ZaggyStardust
11-26-2007, 11:12 PM
Wow - don't know what to say except it troubles me that there would be a perception of any sort of racism amongst the fans here! I, for one, LOVE Austin as well as the whole team and while I have only been hanging out here for 3-4 years, I have NEVER heard even a hint of any racial discourse towards one of our beloved Zags. I frankly, don't think the others here would put up with such a thing.

ZagsGoZags
11-27-2007, 12:36 AM
When I first saw the post, I didn't like it, but I wasn't sure why. It just felt like a put down in some way. I am 'sold' on Austin's potential, and hope Few will run plays that put him more into the offense. I think he is already a better 3 pt shooter than Josh. I am glad they, and Pendo, are good a 3 pt land.

JAGzag
11-27-2007, 02:30 AM
I didn't even know Daye was bi-racial, nor do I care. Just b/c a post compares one African American with another, does not mean it was racially motivated. Frankly, it's counterintuitive - both men are of strong backgrounds and excelling in what they do; where's the racist comparison? Besides, they do look VERY much alike - is that wrong too? Thanks for your post, but you missed the mark on this one.

jazzdelmar
11-27-2007, 02:36 AM
They resemble each other a good deal and I am a big admirer of both....They both have enormous potential that will be realized some day, just not quite yet. No racism implied whatsoever; I have made such "Separated at Birth" comments in the past. All in fun. Welcome to the board.

bayzag09
11-27-2007, 04:37 AM
I don't see the racism in the comment either...just a misunderstanding. They do look very alike though.

Zagme-totheleft!
11-27-2007, 06:24 AM
i see the confusion, jazz could have done without the comment but either way...no harm no foul, and no pun intended

ZagNative
11-27-2007, 06:41 AM
I'd add also that I think Jazz's inference that Austin is not quite ready for prime time is not one widely shared here. In fact, there was a post after aout the 2nd game proclaiming Austin to be the best player on the team.

Rubbadub
11-27-2007, 06:44 AM
That can be said about many of Jazz's inferences.

Birddog
11-27-2007, 06:47 AM
The thought of the comment as "racial" never entered my mind. Actually, I thought it was pretty clever to compare him to Obama since they look somewhat alike and they both garnered a lot of credibility without much history. IMO, if anyone thought the comment was "racial" they were looking for something to create controversy and that occurs all too often under the shadowy outlines of "political correctness".

Birddog

Zagme-totheleft!
11-27-2007, 06:48 AM
I'd add also that I think Jazz's inference that Austin is not quite ready for prime time is not one widely shared here. In fact, there was a post after aout the 2nd game proclaiming Austin to be the best player on the team.

agreed. he's definitely got some amazing potential

former1dog
11-27-2007, 06:48 AM
In fact, there was a post after aout the 2nd game proclaiming Austin to be the best player on the team.

That was mine.

And yet, I understood Jazz's post and got a laugh out of it because I understood what he meant, eventually. :o

Zagpower
11-27-2007, 08:02 AM
I don't recall anything other than laughter when our some of our white guys were compared to Hobbits last year on Grant Wahl's blog. It's all in good fun and being compared to Obama in any way is a compliment. Quit trying to find racism where it doesnt exist.

SteelCityZag
11-27-2007, 08:04 AM
You may not be able to imagine how happy the posters on this board are to have Austin at GU. It's completely unanimous.

Not that many of us on this board actually "know" any of the players in any real sense, but by all reports Austin is a fine young man and a hard worker, and he obviously very very talented.

We're lucky to have him, and I think Gonzaga is a wonderful place for him.

Welcome to the board.

BobZag
11-27-2007, 09:29 AM
Calling Pargo "Parbury" (referencing ball hog Stephon Marbury) is another "cute" name Jazz conjured up.

Sacre is also biracial. What's it mean? Nothing. He's a Zag and a crowd favorite already.

Go Zags!

jazzdelmar
11-27-2007, 09:38 AM
Thanks, Beezer

BobZag
11-27-2007, 09:49 AM
No prob, jazzer.

Are Oilers great Earl Campbell and sprint champion Houston McTier both from the same town?

MDABE80
11-27-2007, 12:16 PM
OCZAGFAN said a friend "told me about a troublesome post that needed clarification".........just in followup, I should be asking if the post is troublesome now or has it been clarified to your satifaction OCZAGFAN?

I dont think it's good to have this question/issue simply dangling without a conclusion.

Angelo Roncalli
11-27-2007, 12:18 PM
I'm biracial as well. Irish and Welsh. :)

UberZagFan
11-27-2007, 12:27 PM
I'm biracial as well. Irish and Welsh. :)

:roll: :roll: :roll:

btw, what does the title of this thread have to do with the contents?

MDABE80
11-27-2007, 12:47 PM
I'd like to get a serious answer guys. Let's bring this to a conclusion. I think it was a serious question.........as unusual as it may seem to some of the Zag fans. Just being courteous:)

kitzbuel
11-27-2007, 12:52 PM
I believe the serious answer is here:

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showpost.php?p=113029&postcount=10

and I believe that if OCZag has nothing further to say it is concluded.

former1dog
11-27-2007, 12:52 PM
They resemble each other a good deal and I am a big admirer of both....They both have enormous potential that will be realized some day, just not quite yet. No racism implied whatsoever; I have made such "Separated at Birth" comments in the past. All in fun. Welcome to the board.

oczagfan
11-27-2007, 03:26 PM
I suppose everyone has a different point of reference and what is funny to some, is offensive to others. Simply put, I feel adults should have mastered the English language enough to be able to find other adjectives to describe players and not have to resort to name calling and trust me, I would have felt the same way and written the same post if I had heard players referred to as Hobbits etc This is a subject we must agree to disagree

On a more positive note, I stayed up the better part of last night reading so many wonderful posts on guboards and am very content in knowing that my Spokane friend was absolutely correct. ZAG fans are extremely supportive and the vast majority of them love their team and each one of its players. The Gonzaga players (as well as the coaches) are very fortunate to have the loyal support that so many of you offer them. With the talent of this squad and the desire they have shown, coupled with the sincere loyalty and enthusiasm all of you ZAG fans have for them, I have no doubt they will have a fantastic season! ZAG fans are truly special :)