PDA

View Full Version : One bad game...

D Hark 2003
11-26-2007, 01:58 PM
It seems that most posters have lost a lot of faith in the talents of this years zags because of the loss to Texas Tech. I didnt get to see that game so i cant really comment on how they looked. I do think it is a bit early to start worrying about this years team and saying this guy needs to step up and this other guy needs to do that. They are sooo young and they have played well from in every game but the loss to Texas Tech. So have no fear zags fans and dont let this one bad game get you down. This young team will take a lump or two in our non conference schedule, but that is too be expected when you are without Heytvelt. So far i am happy with what i have seen from most of the players. I think we just need our go to guy in the middle back and it will take some pressure off of Pargo, Downs and the rest of the guys. Be patient with this YOUNG team.

former1dog
11-26-2007, 02:03 PM
Good advice, D Hark.

One note, though. The TT didn't make me question the talent of our team, it made me question their heart. The VT game restored a little faith for me. I think enlightened posts like your own have almost got me all the way back to where I was before the TT game. :)

cggonzaga
11-26-2007, 02:06 PM
My comments about Downs wasn't because of the TT game (in fact he had his biggest points output of the season). I just think he should be leading the team in scoring at this point. I haven't lost one bit of faith in this team. I think most on this board would agree I'm one of the more upbeat people about this team. Just want to see more consistent play. I know we're young and supremely talented but that will only take you so far. This team will have one of the great all time teams at GU this year. No confidence lost here. :)

drnoe
11-26-2007, 02:26 PM
No confidence lost here, but I was really disappointed in the less than inspired play against TT, not to mention the stupid turnovers. The Zags are better than that. Perhaps it was a good game for them to get out of the way. The competition between now and conference play will be fierce. They came back strong against VaTech, by winning a game they really needed to win and were supposed to win.

ZagNative
11-26-2007, 03:06 PM
Agreed, D Hark, but I go back to LIZF's prescient post before the GAS (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=6972):

LongIslandZagFan 11-18-2007 01:40 PM
I wasn't that impressed

I was actually a tad disappointed with the Zags last night. If they go out and make the silly mistakes, poor shot judgments, and general sloppy play that was displayed in the 1st half and they will be hard pressed to hang with WKU up in Alaska.

Not playing the doom and gloom game here, I really didn't like what I saw last night.

Reborn 11-19-2007 11:13 AM
:lmao: :lmao:

I have to laugh at all negative posters......:D
It drives me nuts when someone like LIZF tries to interject a tad of objectivity about this team and is drowned out by the Kool-Aid drinkers who seem to equate honest evaluation as disloyalty.

We won't hear from LIZF until Thursday, because he lost a bet someone else set up that WKU would beat the Zags. In the meantime, maybe Reborn will be logging on and explain why he was right when he said on that thread LIZF started:

Reborn 11-19-2007 02:02 PM
Nice reply, LIZF. I've been warned. But youve been notified (not warned...that sounds like an attack) as well that the Zags will win the GAS because of their passing, ball handling and offensive discipline. As well as defense of course. If we only had 12 assists against U of Cal Riverside then the person taking stats doesn't know what an assist is. Obviously we saw a different game.
So the Zags eked out a win against WKU, but where was that superior "passing, ball handling and offensive discipline" against Texas Tech? It's pretty clear that theTexas Tech fiasco was not a bolt out of the blue.

kclubfounder
11-26-2007, 03:15 PM
Texas Tech blew away a Div II team that knew it was overmatched. Both teams were on autopilot from the word go. GU and WKU were in a war from start to finish. The next day was no big surprise. Both WKU and GU were about 20 points away from where they should have been. WKU should beat AA by about 30 and GU should beat TT by about 10.

Like the heading says "One bad game..." - that was predictable. Too bad we didn't play the winner of Butler vs Va Tech in day 2 instead.

GO ZAGS!!!!

ZagMania
11-26-2007, 03:53 PM
I definitely lost some of my faith in how good this team was from the Texas Tech game. I saw this as a top 10 team in my eyes before the game, however I saw some things that make me think that around 20 feels right.

First was the coaching. I didn't like how much we forced getting the ball inside to the post to players that weren't capable of handling bad, forced passes.

Second was the guard play. I thought Pargo was a top 10 guard, but I no longer believe that. While he can still make great plays going to the rim it feels like he can't do much else very well. Seeing Mike Green on Butler during this tournament amplified this. I know Pargo rebounded well and had a ridiculous amount of assists against Virginia Tech I didn't get the feeling that he was creating most of those assists. One play in particular against VT stood out when Pargo had a fast break with one player to beat and Micah trailing him. It should have been an easy bucket but resulted in a turnover if I remember correctly. Pargo is at his best when he takes over the game with his penetration like against Stanford last year, but those are basically isolation plays. I think not having Raivio or another guard that ca shoot along with Pargo is hurting him.

Bouldin sure makes some terrific passes but also makes so many great passes that surprise our bigs and they then can't handle them which does us no good. His post up moves also weren't working that well despite our committal to getting the ball to him in the post. Hopefully his shot stays on from the VT game because I don't see either Micah demanding the ball or plays set up to free him. Seems to get tired rather easily because of all his muscle which is a problem when Pargo gets in foul trouble.

LG, I love him but seems like he could do nothing right on offense during the GAS. Was it a couple bad games or is his offense not up to par against higher caliber teams?

I still think we can go to a final four this year with our talent, but they definitely have a ways to go and hopefully Gray can add something to the backcourt. I feel great about our wings, especially Micah, and our bigs are solid even without Heyvelt so long as we don't try to rely on them to be the start or our offensive because Sacre and Kuso do not seem to be able to pass out of the post very well.

wazZag
11-26-2007, 04:46 PM
Withhold donations! Fire the coach! Start the other guy!

Sorry, I thought I was on the Coug football board...

Rubbadub
11-27-2007, 05:37 AM
Withhold donations! Fire the coach! Start the other guy!

Sorry, I thought I was on the Coug football board...

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x303/cm07photos/torchesforks1.jpg

Reborn
11-27-2007, 10:14 AM
Actually, ZagNative, the bet was that the zags would WIN the GAS, so I lost and LIZF won. The bet wasn't for just the WK game. Later, one poster recommended a different kind of bet, I agreed and said I'd call the bet off if LIZF agreed. The last I heard from LIZF was that he wasnt going to rescind the bet. That's why I haven't posted on any of the games since we lost to TT, and I will respect LIZF position. I don't understand why some of you thought He (LIZF) had lost.

I'll write more after my week is over.

If you don't think I respect LIZF please read that thread a little better. The post where I actually say how much I do respect him.

former1dog
11-27-2007, 10:15 AM
Actually, ZagNative, the bet was that the zags would WIN the GAS, so I lost and LIZF won. The bet wasn't for just the WK game. Later, one poster recommended a different kind of bet, I agreed and said I'd call the bet off if ZIZF agreed. The last I heard from LIZF was that he wasnt going to rescind the bet. That's why I haven't posted on any of the games since we lost to TT, and I will respect LIZF position. I don't understand why some of you thought He (LIZF) had lost.

I'll write more after my week is over.

If you don't think I respect LIZF please read that thread a little better. The post where I actually say how much I do respect him.

I vote that Reborn and LIZF both resume normal posting activities.

LongIslandZagFan
11-27-2007, 11:07 AM
I vote that Reborn and LIZF both resume normal posting activities.

Fine by me... was having trouble biting my tounge anyhoo.

But right now I am knee deep in database problems here at work... really only have time to scan posts today.

gonza
11-27-2007, 11:34 AM
Hey ZN,
I proposed the "wager" because I feel the same way you do about the Kool-aid sippers. If the Zags won ...... then awesome !!
If the Zags lost, the sippers might stop confusing enthusiasm with objective observation. As Reborn pointed out, the proposal was for the GAS, not the WKU game. LIZF "won" the wager, and I'm sure if Reborn wants to post, there would be no objections.

lothar98zag
11-27-2007, 12:39 PM
Free Reborn!

Let him post!
Let him post!
Let him post!
Let him post!
Let him post!

LongIslandZagFan
11-27-2007, 05:11 PM
Free Reborn!

Let him post!
Let him post!
Let him post!
Let him post!
Let him post!

I thought reborn won the wager anyhow... so I'd say post away reborn.

Zag4Hire
11-27-2007, 07:06 PM
I am new to the boards here but I am not new to watching Zag basketball. In all honesty, that was the absolute worst I have ever seen this team play. I thought they would come out with more fire against a Tex. Tech team that knocked them out only a few years ago but perhaps this team is too far removed. I don't believe in excuses but they truly looked tired. Whenever the announcers talk about a Zag opponent and how their coach says they want to be the "next Gonzaga", it makes me nervous. This usually means they are trying desperately to step into the spotlight. WKU gave them all they could handle. This team is a lot better than last year but they just need to gel a bit more: iso Daye more, let Pargo come over more screens at the top, free up Downs by spreading the court, etc.

So far, this season's impressions of play are:
++++ Pargo, Sacre, Daye
+++ Pendergraft, Bouldin, Kuso
++ Downs, Gurganious
+ Theo Davis