PDA

View Full Version : Cutting off the passing Lanes

HillBillyZag
11-26-2007, 11:28 AM
The Teams that can plug the passing lanes and force the oposition to play more of an individual game are at a big advantage when playing defense. I have just seen two or three of them in Butler, George Mason, and Texas Tech. I believe the Zags are improving (VaTech) and by byseasons end we will be right up there with the best in this vital defensive skill.

BobZag
11-26-2007, 02:42 PM
The Teams that can plug the passing lanes and force the oposition to play more of an individual game are at a big advantage when playing defense. I have just seen two or three of them in Butler, George Mason, and Texas Tech. I believe the Zags are improving (VaTech) and by byseasons end we will be right up there with the best in this vital defensive skill.

Can't speak for the men, but women's coach Kelly Graves runs drills for this very thing. The more comfortable team is in a certain defense the more comfortable the opposing team will be in their offense. Being disruptive and just a pain in the a$$ on defense is the goal.

harryzag
11-26-2007, 03:26 PM
In the championship game at the GAS, Butlers help defense was extremely impressive. Our half court defense is solid for the most part, yet too many times our rotations seem to be a half step too late. Our wings have the ability to defend the passing lane due to there length and extraordinary athleticism, however I have seen players take breaks and not defend to their full potential. Defense is about desire and effort and this team seems to want to defend unlike years past. We will be alright.

gamagin
11-26-2007, 03:46 PM
<< We will be alright. >>

I agree. Also agree it needs to be in the drills. It needs to be second nature come gametime.

The difference tween TT & Butler & us was they looked like they really, really, really had their roles down.

Watching us was, to me, the difference between hearing someone play notes on a guitar versus someone else playing the actual music.

they were really flowing as a team. We, too often, looked like we knew what to do but couldn't do it, or had to think about it, or react a tick or more too late.

Losses don't mean too much at this juncture. But improving does.

Everyone is getting better and everyone is gunning for us. So it's critical to be prepared and confident and get into the rythmn and into the music.

applezag
11-26-2007, 05:23 PM
Playing the passing lanes poses both opportunities and risk: if it works you stagnate the opponents offense and force turnovers; but if it doesn't, you don't have much perimeter help if guys get beat off the dribble and you are a lot more easily screened when the ball moves.

Duke is well-known for extending way out into the passing lanes and being very effective with it, though in the last couple of years they have gotten burned on it more than in the past. But if you watch a team like WSU, they won't venture out of an arc 17 feet from the hoop (what they call the "pack-line") unless their man has the ball or is cutting to the ball. They value help position a lot more than a team like Duke.

The key to a good defense is not just the scheme, but how committed the staff and players are to it.

ZagSauce
11-26-2007, 05:54 PM
Defense is about heart. I hope that the TT game wasn't a good indication of the heart of this squad.