PDA

View Full Version : Polls - The Moral of the Story

Darth Zag
11-26-2007, 10:34 AM
those who take these polls seriously may not laugh at this but i shall. wsu plays 3 twinkies and moves up to 6th while the teams that take chances and schedule challenging games, games that are attended by more than 3000 fans pay a price. zags lose a game while winning two against good tems and they drop to 19th.

moral--play twinkies every chance you get and be rewarded.

former1dog
11-26-2007, 10:43 AM
Whereas I think WSU is a very good team and deserving of a Top 10 ranking, you are correct. The only hard game in their OOC schedule is us.

drnoe
11-26-2007, 10:54 AM
GU remained #14 in the AP poll.

lothar98zag
11-26-2007, 10:55 AM
Polls are very simple. Lose and you fall. Win and you stay the same or move up because someone else lost. Not much more too it than that.

frontrangezag
11-26-2007, 11:06 AM
How good is WSU? Who really knows. Their schedule is weak. The Pac-10 is not as good as people think and they won't sneak up on anyone worth a crap this year.

Even without JH and SG, I think we beat them by 10. It will look nice on our resume to have beaten a top 6 (or top 5 by 12-5) team though. Kind of like Mizzou a few years back, who was #3 when we played them. OR Okie State who was #3.

I know that they are enjoying their high ranking right now and they should, but I would be surprised to see them make it out of the first weekend in March.

former1dog
11-26-2007, 11:13 AM
I know that they are enjoying their high ranking right now and they should, but I would be surprised to see them make it out of the first weekend in March.

Not quite sure I understand your logic?

WSU was a very good team last year and was a 2OT game from making it to the Sweet 16 last year.

This year, they return many of the same players who are just as good and more experienced.

ZagNut08
11-26-2007, 12:25 PM
That is one reason we rise during conference play...we play in a weaker conference, and while pac 10/acc teams loose to better opponents, we often move up playing "twinkies"

Butler Guy
11-26-2007, 12:35 PM
GU remained #14 in the AP poll.

That would be incorrect, the Zags are 19th in the AP.

Butler Guy
11-26-2007, 12:38 PM
WSU was a very good team last year and was a 2OT game from making it to the Sweet 16 last year.

This year, they return many of the same players who are just as good and more experienced.

We didn't need overtime to make the Sweet 16 and return pretty much everyone and yet the same rules seem not to apply. We were unranked in both polls coming in and only now have clawed to the bare minimum-level of where we should have been rated pre-season. The polling process in bull####

former1dog
11-26-2007, 12:40 PM
We didn't need overtime to make the Sweet 16 and return pretty much everyone and yet the same rules seem not to apply. We were unranked in both polls coming in and only now have clawed to the bare minimum-level of where we should have been rated pre-season. The polling process in bull####

Interesting that you bring that up. I've been complaining about that same oversight in regards to Butler "offline".

NVzag
11-26-2007, 12:51 PM
I'd shell out for the Pay-per-View to see WSU vs. Butler.

Final Score 48-49

j/k :D

That would be a hellofa game tho.

frontrangezag
11-26-2007, 12:52 PM
"Not quite sure I understand your logic?"

Are you asking yourself this question? Me?

At any rate, WSU is a decent ball team. #6? No way. I think WSU finishes around #20-25 this year and gets bounced in the 2nd round again.

I think WSU moving from the Hunter to the Hunted in the Pac-10 combined with their ho-hum victories over weak teams thus far is going to make for a disappiointing season for Coug fans whose expectations are so high. Trust me, they will be a great bball team for WSU but on the national scene they will only be a little better than average. (Please don't mention Mississippi Valley Junior High School as a good win.)

I know the expectations are high for WSU, but what have they really proven?

former1dog
11-26-2007, 12:56 PM
Frontrange,

I agree that WSU is playing a weak schedule and this is a disservice to the team and their fans.

I disagree that they aren't a good team on the national level. I think they are a potential Sweet 16 or Elite 8 team. I won't pick them for a Final 4, but if they get hot, you never know.

Essentially, they are great defensive team and you know the old cliche about defense and championships.

drnoe
11-26-2007, 01:01 PM
That would be incorrect, the Zags are 19th in the AP.

I stand corrected. The AP didn't release their updated poll until about 2 hrs. after the ESPN/USA Today poll.

frontrangezag
11-26-2007, 01:24 PM
Former 1,

We may be splitting hairs debating between the Rd of 32 v. 16 v. 8. If that is all the Cougs have to worry about then they are doing OK. I am just reluctant to jump on the Cougwagon until they play tougher competition.

In all reality, I will not jump on the Cougwagon regardless. Since the UW series is off unitl who knows when, the Cougs can be substituted for the local rivalry. To that end, BOOOO COUGS. GO ZAGS.

former1dog
11-26-2007, 01:34 PM
BOOOO COUGS. GO ZAGS.

:D But of course. I'm was around during the Kelvin Sampson era.

Doubly Booooooooooooooo Cougs!

sittingon50
11-26-2007, 03:03 PM
I'll disagree with you frontrange. The Cougs proved themselves last year & basically return intact. To this point I think they've kept their game plan pretty vanilla.
The Zags will have their hands full; a (Zag)loss would not be that surprising to me. It'll be a helluva game.

Zag By the Bay
11-26-2007, 03:21 PM
Polls don't mean too much this time of year. I do want to point out that our first three games appeared to be cupcakes and they were all at the MAC. The Zags have to play a tougher OCC schedule than the Cougs due to the conference we play in. This season the Pac 10 is easily going to send at 5 teams (most likely more) to the NCAA tourney, while the WCC will be lucky to send two teams. Plain and simple if the Cougs finish 4th or 5th in the Pac 10 this season they are in the big dance. Hey at least the Cougs are willing to play us these days.

BobZag
11-26-2007, 03:26 PM
No need to bash WSU. They're good, we're good, everyone is happy. So far, for WSU--

EWU
at BSU
Idaho
Montana
Miss. Valley St.
Air Force
at Baylor (Dec. 1st)
at Gonzaga (Dec. 5th)

For GU--

Montana
Idaho
UC-Riverside
Western KY
Texas Tech (L)
Virginia Tech
at St. Joe's (Nov. 29th)
UConn (Dec. 1st)
WSU (Dec. 5th)

ZagDaddy
11-26-2007, 03:48 PM
The polls are spot on when your team is rising and nonsense when your team falling. :p

There's no sense getting your shorts in a bunch about them. They're just a passing curiosity. There's only one thing that really matters: who finishes first in March.