PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Coach Martelli!

jbslicer
11-26-2007, 10:17 AM
Don't take too long getting a new player in the game for one who just fouled out. You might pick up a "T."
That had to be one of the all-time cheapest calls ever made.

CDC84
11-26-2007, 10:27 AM
The reason why that was a cheap call is because while it was a point of emphasis with the officials that season, refs throughout the nation didn't do anything to enforce the rule....until that game.

The refs should be enforcing that rule though. But they need to do it consistently. Coaches shouldn't be allowed to use the disqualification of a player as an extended team timeout. Even Coach Few did this up in Alaska in the WKU game. In fact, if I had it my way, I wouldn't even allow a coach to gather his team near the bench when a player fouls out, regardless of whether he subs for the disqualified player within the time limit.

jbslicer
11-26-2007, 11:13 AM
As usual CDC is correct. It was funny to see Coach Martelli go ballistic when the "T" was called. He seems like one of the good guys in the coaching profession.

rennis
11-26-2007, 11:18 AM
As usual CDC is correct. It was funny to see Coach Martelli go ballistic when the "T" was called. He seems like one of the good guys in the coaching profession.

I think he is one of the good guys. Even the good guys lose their composure once in a while though.

Zagaholic
11-26-2007, 12:52 PM
Coaches shouldn't be allowed to use the disqualification of a player as an extended team timeout. Even Coach Few did this up in Alaska in the WKU game. In fact, if I had it my way, I wouldn't even allow a coach to gather his team near the bench when a player fouls out, regardless of whether he subs for the disqualified player within the time limit.

Is this an actual rule now? I wasn't aware. Surprising info to me, because throughout the GAS whenever a player fouled out, their coaches used it as an opportunity to have the equivalent of a 30 second time out. This happened every single time a player fouled out. The refs never seemed bothered by this.

Of course, with the exception of the 3 man crew who did the VT game, the refs during the GAS tournament were consistently atrocious.

CDC84
11-26-2007, 01:06 PM
It's in the rule book. But just like the batter's box in MLB, which gets erased by the foot of first batter that steps into the box, the rule is never enforced. Everyone does it, so coaches never complain about it. The only way to get the refs to enforce the rule is to make it a point of emphasis, but then the governing body that handles game officials needs to reprimand refs for not enforcing the rule. But they don't do that, so the violations just continue.

The GAS officials ranged from mediocre to terrible....it just depended on what guys your team got stuck with. Every team that was at that tourney deserved better. They were really bad when it came to issuing player control fouls. I'm not just talking about Pargo's dunk....there were many other examples.