PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Weekly Watch

thickman1
11-26-2007, 07:57 AM
Once again Gonzaga finds themselves on the Upset Watch list.

Weekly Watch (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/notebook?page=notebook/weeklywatch03)

Thursday: Saint Joseph's over No. 14 Gonzaga

The Hawks might have the A-10's most dominate front line in seniors Pat Calathes and Robert Ferguson, to go along with preseason Player of the Year Ahmad Nivins. Calathes and Ferguson can both step to the perimeter to stretch the defense, and Nivins can score on the block at will with his great athletic ability to elevate over defenders. Expect toughness and leadership from Iowa State transfer Tasheed Carr, who has 3-point range. Sophomore guard Darrin Govens is a 3-point shooter who can give Saint Joe's multiple scoring threats. The Zags counter with instant scoring production from 6-10 freshman Austin Daye and the stat-stuffing backcourt of Jeremy Pargo and Matt Bouldin. Larry Gurganious can cause havoc on the defensive end. Hawk Hill will be ready to greet the Zags' Philly style.

Also mentioned in the piece courtesy of Andy Katz in his "What I'd looking forward to this week" column:

If Connecticut can take out Gonzaga in Boston on Saturday.

I like to see it worded like that and not the other way around although personally I think GU has something to prove and needs to play like it.

El Voce
11-26-2007, 08:56 AM
In truth, I will be happy if we can get a split of these two games, a true road game in Philly and a very un-neutral neutral court game in Boston. Likewise, I was happy we came home from Alaska with two wins over legit D1 teams.

As I wrote before the GAS, I don't think we are a Top 20 team right now. That said, it is very possible that we will indeed become a Top 20 team when we hit our full stride (probably in mid to late January).

In the meantime, we need to hope for steady progress, especially in running our halfcourt offense. Our freshmen will learn a lot about themselves playing in front of hostile crowds. The atmosphere in Philly will be very much like the atmosphere at St. Marys that we must face later in the season.

As BobZag and CDC have mentioned several times, this season will be a roller coaster ride, and we Zag fans must just strap in and enjoy the ride.

Rubbadub
11-26-2007, 08:58 AM
very un-neutral neutral court game in Boston.

I'll bring a bullhorn.

ZagMan in Philly
11-26-2007, 09:04 AM
The St.Joseph's game is making me very nervous. I hope we will win this game, so that it will make my drive from Phila to Boston a lot more enjoyable.....:p

former1dog
11-26-2007, 09:05 AM
The St.Joseph's game is making me very nervous. I hope we will win this game, so that it will make my drive from Phila to Boston a lot more enjoyable.....:p

What kind of team is St. Joe's fielding this year?

EricTheClown
11-26-2007, 09:40 AM
from the article it sounds like they like to shoot the 3 ball. but i havent seen st joes play since jameer nelson was on the team

bayzag09
11-26-2007, 09:43 AM
This game was scarier than I thought. St.Joe's gave a pretty good Cuse' team a scare a couple games back. The boys better be ready for a dog fight

former1dog
11-26-2007, 09:45 AM
This game was scarier than I thought. St.Joe's gave a pretty good Cuse' team a scare a couple games back. The boys better be ready for a dog fight

One positive in our favor, St. Joe's plays on Tuesday.

CDC84
11-26-2007, 10:08 AM
The GU backcourt will really need to keep the turnovers to a minimum in the St. Joe's game. Not only because it will be a road game in a hostile gym, but because the St. Joe's guards love to defend and create chaos. The Hawks shoot the three well and have a nice post in Nivins. They seem to have more size this season. It's going to be a tough game, but I think if GU takes what they did against Va Tech and applies it to this game, they have a good chance of winning. And it will be a good win....I think the Hawks are the 2nd best team in the A-10 and a likely NCAA tourney team.

Getting a win against St. Joe's might help GU in their attempt to beat UConn on Saturday. They'll feel less pressure. One disadvantage with that game is that UConn after tonight will have 4 days to prepare for GU.

zagfan07
11-26-2007, 11:57 AM
What kind of team is St. Joe's fielding this year?

Here's a link to their athletic site. It looks like they shoot the 3 pretty well, uh oh. It's going to be a fun game to watch. I expect Kuso to build off his game against VA Tech and have another impressive showing.

http://sjuhawks.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/stjs-m-baskbl-mtt.html

Rubbadub
11-26-2007, 12:04 PM
They have a couple guards who together are putting up about 14 3-pointers a game...hopefully they have off nights. :o

lothar98zag
11-26-2007, 01:03 PM
make sure to yell yourself hoarse @ the St J game!

Anyone else get tix to that game? I know there were a few people looking...

Rubbadub
11-26-2007, 01:23 PM
make sure to yell yourself hoarse @ the St J game!

Anyone else get tix to that game? I know there were a few people looking...

Didn't even get a whiff.

ZagMan in Philly
11-26-2007, 04:56 PM
Didn't even get a whiff.

Tickets to this game are almost impossible to get. Such a small stadium, and St.joseph's fans will not give up these tickets and miss a chance to see our Zags.

I went to their campus a few weeks ago, and posted a want ad for tickets in their student's union building; Got lucky as someone was willing to give up two tickets because they can not attend the game. I paid double for each, but it will be worth it...win or lose.

The atmosphere will be raucous, like a NCAA tournament game. Will be similar to the 2001 new year's eve game (with Dickau). I was there and remembered how much fun it was after we beat them and celebrate the new year.

I got my wife hooked on the Zags, as she will help me root for our boys to victory. She is a Temple grad, and her team is going no where...haha. She is such a fan, that she is willing to drive with me to Boston for the UCONN game as well.

Living in their backyard, so you develop a little relationship with the local teams, I like St.Joe's and coach Martelli, but not against our boys. ;)

Go Zags!