PDA

View Full Version : The Fan's deserve better.

HillBillyZag
11-25-2007, 04:42 PM
If you doubt that the Spokane areas heart belongs to the Zags just check the attendence figures for the Tourney that Wazzu hosted over the weekend. Not a single sell-out.The Arena sells out regularly for GU games. Frankly, when one has to go to extremes to see a game in K2 which is always sold out, and the local fans show up in masse for any Arena GU games, its just a d*^% shame that we cannot even see the games on local TV. This fan would be willing to pay a modest fee to see a closed telecast of away games in K2 if it were possible. I know ESPN ripped off the GAS and the fans for this tourney, but how long and for how many games are the average fans going to be deprived of seeing their beloved Zags? If its too late to improve this situation for this season, I would hope that better arrangements will be made in the future to see that this bravo sierra is not repeated.Thumbs down to espn!!

sittingon50
11-25-2007, 04:55 PM
You gotta' remember that there were a lot of MIA's due to

1. Turkey Day Weekend

2. Apple Cup

This makes the timing of the Tournament odd, though I'm sure the Chiefs have the most say on available dates.

Nevertheless, the attendance was horrible. Gotta' believe that the Sponsors took a real bath (though not to Woodstock proportions).

Would love to see the Zags put on a Tourney like this. I'm sure the clincher would be TV coverage.

Radbooks
11-25-2007, 05:08 PM
I went to two of the games because I was in town seeing family and I was also shocked at the low turnout. One thing that might help would be better known opponents. Montana was great because it's a NW team and Air Force has had some decent teams, but Mississippi Valley State? At least one team that had more name recognition and promised a good game would draw more people.

Still, I had fun watching the games. It wasn't as fun as going to a Zag game would be - not that I'll ever be able to do that! - but it was fun anyway.

Ezag
11-25-2007, 05:08 PM
I just worked all three days for this and attendance was extremely low. I would say not more than 2000 people during the WSU games and less than half of that for the rest.

MDABE80
11-25-2007, 05:30 PM
Well...with the WSU students gone for the holiday, I guess one might ask if you'd rather have 2000 fans (5575 opening night btw) in the Spokane Arena or have 1500 in Pullman. It's a fair question without me knowing anythng else;)

SteeleMan
11-25-2007, 06:59 PM
my theory, as posted over on Cougfan has to due with the fickle fans in Spokane. Let's not forget that the Gonzaga Basketball fanbase did not balloon to an every-other-household proportion overnight (although it may have seemed that way). I may take time for basketball fans to come around on the Cougs, their style of play and trust that they, indeed, can beat anyone on any given day/night.

The timing of this tournament wasn't very attractive, which leads to low attendence as well.

HillBillyZag
11-25-2007, 08:23 PM
I thought there would be a lot more irate fans then myself about no local TV for so many games. Guess I was wrog?

Section 116
11-26-2007, 03:14 PM
I pay $100 a season for ESPN Full Court and $5 monthly for Fox Sports Pacific, Central and Atlantic and guess what. None of that gets me ESPNU or ESPN 360, whoever wants to watch that. So yes, Hillbilly, you are not alone. We are at the mercy of ESPN. Next year or course GU is at the ESPN/ABC Disney world created Old Spice Classic along with Maryland, Memphis, Michigan St., Oklahoma St., Siena, Tennessee and Wichita St. You will no doubt be seing all those games on ESPN and ESPN2. Or maybe not. In any event, what a field that one is!

BobZag
11-26-2007, 05:07 PM
my theory, as posted over on Cougfan has to due with the fickle fans in Spokane. Let's not forget that the Gonzaga Basketball fanbase did not balloon to an every-other-household proportion overnight (although it may have seemed that way). I may take time for basketball fans to come around on the Cougs, their style of play and trust that they, indeed, can beat anyone on any given day/night.

The timing of this tournament wasn't very attractive, which leads to low attendence as well.

If the Cougs play a quality team, I'll pony up the $$$ to go watch it in the Arena. I have before many times vs Arizona, UW, UCLA, etc. I like watching quality college basketball, no matter who it is. But if the team is 0-7 Mississippi Valley State (I honestly never heard of them before) or Air Force whose best win is over Dartmouth or Radford, or Montana, a team I've already seen get blown away by Gonzaga, I just don't have any incentive to attend. I would've gone in a heartbeat if WSU was playing a quality team. I have before.

People, there are over 500,000 residents in Spokane-Coeur d'Alene and vicinity. There are tens and tens of thousands of Cougar alums living here. WSU has an enrollment of about 15,000. Not everybody was at the Apple Cup, and besides, the Apple Cup started two hours after the WSU basketball game ended. A hoops tourney is a great way for families to enjoy a holiday like Thanksgiving, it's wonderful entertainment for a low price in today's overpriced world.

I don't see a legit excuse for so few fans.

Pure
11-26-2007, 05:09 PM
I thought there would be a lot more irate fans then myself about no local TV for so many games. Guess I was wrog?

You are not alone on the local TV... Its a JOKE.....

ESPN is holding the GU fans hostage in order to leverage our frustration toward comcast ...

ITs sad that ESPN leverages the Fans .. Vs at least giving us the opportunity to pay to watch the games.

Did you notice the DISNEY tourney was on ESPN and ESPN2.

NOW St Joes and WSU are both on ESPNU ? Color me RED.....
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

7ICoug
11-26-2007, 05:47 PM
People, there are over 500,000 residents in Spokane-Coeur d'Alene and vicinity. There are tens and tens of thousands of Cougar alums living here. WSU has an enrollment of about 15,000. Not everybody was at the Apple Cup, and besides, the Apple Cup started two hours after the WSU basketball game ended. A hoops tourney is a great way for families to enjoy a holiday like Thanksgiving, it's wonderful entertainment for a low price in today's overpriced world.

I don't see a legit excuse for so few fans.

Can't argue with this logic, but you won't see WSU ever play UCLA, USC, or the like here (Spokane) again. BTW WSU has 26,000 students. Who still can't fill there 5,500 free seats or at least haven't so far this year. They are slow to get on the bandwagon.

But don't forget Spokane was the home of the Alpo Classic or whatever it was called. And GU, WSU, EWU, and Idaho couldn't every sell it out at Thanksgiving. Thus it went away.

There is also a reason that GU built a 6,000 seat arena and not a 12,000 seat arena. The Spokane fan is rather odd. They in general would prefer to see a game for free.

You're right there is no legit excuse for so few Sports fans in a town like this, BTW Bob MSVC or whoever they were actually went to the NIT last year so they are far from unknown. They had some bad luck lost two of their bigs in the preseason and the last got hurt in there first game against AF. Also they came real close to beating Montana on Sunday.