PDA

View Full Version : Test: How far away can you hear KGA ?

Zag 77
11-25-2007, 03:16 PM
For the TT and VaTech games I heard them about 80% clear (that is 20% static) in Longview, WA while on Thanksgiving vacation.

Where can you hear them from?

bayzag09
11-25-2007, 03:43 PM
I'm in ireland and i listen to it on the internet. thats pretty far

USMC69
11-25-2007, 04:08 PM
I get KGA pretty good in W. Richland, fades in and out some. I'm up on the hill not down by the river which I'm sure helps.

zagmantis2001
11-25-2007, 04:29 PM
A few years ago, we listened to the game all the way to Flathead Lake in Montana. It went out near Bigfork when Ronny missed one or two freethows against Missouri and they lost.

Symi81
11-25-2007, 04:32 PM
Can hear it about 50-80% clarity at nighttime in Seattle.

Ziggy
11-25-2007, 04:41 PM
Here in the Methow Valley, tucked into the Cascade Mountains, I get 20% reception on average but it could be in El Paso as far as that goes. I listen to it on KGA .com with the 10 to 15 second delay and I am happy!

Birddog
11-25-2007, 05:02 PM
Way back in the 70's when I made road trips in the W (Utah, Colo.,Idaho, Mont., Nev. etc) I picked up KGA in many locales. KGA is licensed for 50,000 watts, the most you can get so their signal is pretty strong esp at night. The E limit seemed to be the Rocky Mtns, I don't remember ever picking up KGA E of the Rockies except maybe in Idaho and Mont. and possibly Wyoming.

Here is some more info.
"During the day, AM signals travel by groundwave, diffracting around the curve of the earth over a distance up to a few hundred miles (or kilometers) from the signal transmitter. However, after sunset, changes in the ionosphere cause AM signals to travel by skywave, enabling AM radio stations to be heard much farther from their point of origin than is normal during the day. This phenomenon can be easily observed by scanning an AM radio dial at night. As a result, many broadcast stations are required as a condition of license to reduce their broadcasting power significantly (or use directional antennas) after sunset, or even to suspend broadcasting entirely during nighttime hours. (Such stations are commonly referred to as daytimers.)

Some other radio stations are granted clear channel rights, meaning that they broadcast on frequencies whose use is more restricted and thus relatively unaffected by interference from other stations. Nowadays relatively few stations enjoy clear channel status."

For some odd reason car radios seem to be better at picking up distant signals, probably because of the antenna.

Birddog

sittingon50
11-25-2007, 05:31 PM
I'm 60 miles North in Colville & can't get it at all. Not in the house, not in the car (not with a mouse, not in a bar. I do not like that KGA......)

MDABE80
11-25-2007, 05:43 PM
Well.....like Birddog...when I was driving (again in my trusty Corvair with the rusted out roof purchased from the dance proceeds at the COG by Honest Abe Productions if any of you remember that) back and forth to medical school, KGA used to compete favorably with the Wolfman's station in Tijuana.

KGA ( Shane!) had a pretty clear signal till I got past Wyoming. I remember KGA used to sell some night time commercials into Denver.
God that was a fun time!!!!

Dogtownkid
11-25-2007, 06:16 PM
I believe that way back in the dawn of pre-history (in the '70's) I used to be able to get it pretty well at night in Sacratomato, CA.

SweetOnionZag
11-25-2007, 07:19 PM
Thanksgiving night I listened to the game on KGA in downtown Salt Lake City on my car radio. A couple of years ago I listened to a game on the car radio driving across Western Colorado and Eastern Utah. My Zenith Trans-Oceanic
gets KGA just fine here in Walla Walla.

Norcalzag
11-25-2007, 08:17 PM
Last season I picked up the Zags-WSU broadcast in Hollister, Calif. (just south of San Jose). Earlier this month, I picked up the Zags-Idaho game coming out of the mountains north of Grants Pass, Ore., on I-5 and listened all the way to Corvallis. The reception in both cases was adequate to follow the game.

75Zag
11-26-2007, 07:04 AM
At night I can usually get KGA in my car in the Portland metro area, however there is a Spanish language station in Hillsboro that bleeds in and out on top of the signal.

PeninsulaDog
11-26-2007, 09:36 AM
I was driving through Palo Alto, turned the dial to 1510, and was able to hear the game.

jbslicer
11-26-2007, 10:14 AM
It came in loud and clear last weekend while driving from Butte to Missoula.

Oregon Zag
11-26-2007, 11:58 AM
I pick it up in the evenings with about 80% clarity here in North Central Oregon. I prefer listening to it online, though.

GonzagaGurl08
11-26-2007, 12:10 PM
Last season I picked up the Zags-WSU broadcast in Hollister, Calif. (just south of San Jose). Earlier this month, I picked up the Zags-Idaho game coming out of the mountains north of Grants Pass, Ore., on I-5 and listened all the way to Corvallis. The reception in both cases was adequate to follow the game.

I'll have my parents try and see if they can get it in Carmel. If not we can always get it on the internet.