PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts from Anchorage

Zagaholic
11-23-2007, 09:15 AM
Some random thoughts from section 214 last night.

Austin Daye never got untracked last night. The Hilltoppers did an excellent job of frustrating him, and he got screwed on the 5th foul from my seat's perspective (his back was to me, but it sure looked like there was major contact from the defender before Austin pushed off which led to the offensive foul call).

The refs last night were pretty mediocre. Some plays there was substantial contact but no whistle, while other times the refs called the most ticky tack fouls you ever saw. No consistency. Also I don't understand how the Zags managed to foul out 2 players and WKU didn't have any players foul out when the Hilltoppers were playing the more physical defense the entire game because they were shorter and smaller all around.

Courtney Lee was as advertised. He'll be in the NBA, or at least get close to making an NBA team next year. Very good, very smooth player. Brazelton, the WKU point guard, was also a good player. He reminded me a little of Winston Brooks as far as speed, but he was better than Winston.

Micah played great last night. He was the unsung hero, he managed to get some critical rebounds and some possessions he managed to tip the ball to a teammate. I really like his overall game. He is also playing a lot better on D this year. They put him on Brazleton at one point in the second half and Brazleton was completely befuddled and got shut down during those possessions. I don't think he is used to a 6'8 guy with long arms guarding him.

Pendo came up huge late in the game, but overall MVP last night was Bouldin. He held the team together in the first half when Pargo got in foul trouble, and got a lot of points off posting up the smaller WKU defenders. But, he needs to make more of his free throws. He was struggling there last night until late in the game when he seemed to get his stroke back.

Theo played about 3 minutes in the first half and seemed pretty agile and a presence on the boards. Not sure why he didn't play in the second half except that the game was so tight then.

Josh was pretty animated in the huddle and seems like he is trying to be a more involved teammate. He was rebounding for the team during warmmates, is wearing a light cast on his foot and seemed to have okay mobility. But I read somewhere that Few said that Gray will be back before Josh is.

Kuso played okay but he fouled out on a really bad decision to come out to the top of the key on Brazleton, I think. It was just not a smart play by Kuso. It happened right after Austin fouled out so it was a double whammy.

WKU started two youngsters at the post, one was a freshman and the other was a sophomore. They were a lot shorter in general than the Zags. They had a lot of open looks from 3 that they didn't hit. The Zags need to tighten up their perimeter D when they play these smaller teams. Butler will eat them alive if they give Butler those kinds of looks.

My impression is that GU isn't going to shoot a lot of 3's this year. They seem more intent on shooting closer to the basket.

One last thing: Austin had a turnaround jumper where he was just inside the 3 point line. It reminded me of Larry Bird. Anybody else take that shot and I bet Few would have chewed his #&! off. But it was a clean swish. I am not sure that Morrison would have taken that shot as a freshman. But Austin? Ice cold nerves. He's like a young colt at this point. Basically no college team will be able to match up with him physically.

Rubbadub
11-23-2007, 09:26 AM
The refs last night were pretty mediocre. Some plays there was substantial contact but no whistle, while other times the refs called the most ticky tack fouls you ever saw. No consistency. Also I don't understand how the Zags managed to foul out 2 players and WKU didn't have any players foul out when the Hilltoppers were playing the more physical defense the entire game because they were shorter and smaller all around.

-There were terrible calls on both sides. Off the top of my head I'll name the phantom charge on Pargo, Daye's fifth and the Bouldin foul on Brazelton coming around the screen in the low post as some of the terrible calls to balance the terrible fouls on WKU.

One last thing: Austin had a turnaround jumper where he was just inside the 3 point line. It reminded me of Larry Bird. Anybody else take that shot and I bet Few would have chewed his #&! off. But it was a clean swish. I am not sure that Morrison would have taken that shot as a freshman. But Austin? Ice cold nerves. He's like a young colt at this point. Basically no college team will be able to match up with him physically.

-That Daye shot was great. Having a 6-10 player able to hit shots like that is a very good thing...one thing that came to mind when seeing it was "Dirk!"

Reborn
11-23-2007, 12:25 PM
I thought the reaching foul on Pargo, on their point guard, toward the end of the game really sucked. Gave them 2 freebees.