PDA

View Full Version : Ugly Win?

El Voce
11-23-2007, 09:11 AM
Several posters in various threads have referred to last night's game as an "Ugly win".

Without going all Pollyannish on you, I respectfully disagree. It was a gutty win, a character win, and a learning experience win. WKU is a good team; going in, I pretty much expected us to lose that game. The win last night will help us a bit on Selection Sunday; a loss would have hurt us more.

Right now, our Zags have issues. We so far lack a consistent outside threat (though I think Micah Downs is starting to warm up). We lack (due to injury) depth at point guard. We lack (due to injury) a consistent inside scoring threat.

We faced a good team that very, very badly wanted to win. But, we wanted to win, too, and the Zags went out and gutted their way to a win. It came down to hustle plays, and Pendo, Downs, and Sacre made the big hustle plays. Ironically, considering our horrid start, it came down to free throws, too, and we made out last eight in a row, all huge.

I remember when we lost in Pullman last year. There was much gnashing of teeth about what a horrible loss it was to a clearly inferior team. Well, it turned out that there was nothing inferior about that Cougar team. Now, some are upset that we barely beat a clearly inferior team. I submit that WKU will prove themselves to be a very good team, too.

A couple people posted earlier this week that they have not yet "bonded" with this team. Well, I have. Down the stretch last night our Zags played with a grit and hustle that makes me proud to be a Gonzaga alum.

HRZag
11-23-2007, 09:20 AM
El Voce, there is truthfullness in your title. Thank you.

How about some ugly basketball? No flow, many missed opportunities, turnovers, offensive fouls etc.

But, that being said, our kids showed heart and I will take that any day.

Kuso stuggled, as did Daye, but both got their hands on the ball, tips, blocks, altered shots. Daye, while frustrated early, did keep his head up and played hard the second half.

Jeez, would I give anything to see us take on/down the Sweater tonight.

Go Zags.

83topper
11-23-2007, 09:26 AM
it was ugly loss from my point of view!!!! I am not blaming refs for unfair calls on either team,but some calls were ticky tack that disrupted flow of game.

Reborn
11-23-2007, 12:34 PM
I really like your team 83topper. It was a tough loss. Best of luck the rest of the way.

El Voce. One of your best posts, at least for me. Glad to see we have the same feelings about the team. Ugly is not always BAD. It is a part of life, and the Zags may have elevated it's charm. Ugly in sports, oftentimes means a tough battle. This was one definately. I agree that The Hilltoppers wanted to beat us badly. We just wanted it a little more. There will always be a place to say something good about toughness...of mind, body and spirit. The Zags showed that last night. This IS the kind of win that builds confidence in my opinion because we COULD have lost that game (as BZ predicted), but DIDN'T.

Last year we couldn't close the deal: not against WSU, not against Nevada, not against Georgia, not against Memphis. We're off to a good start this year and I think we're going to pull out other close games this year. This Zag team, as I see them, has the old tough Zag Spirit back.:) :) :)

former1dog
11-23-2007, 01:03 PM
Just to add to your sentiments, El Voce, this is definitely a "not in mid or late season" form yet Zag team. Although the nittipickiness is completely appropriate in this forum regarding our team, lets not forget the season is young and for the most part so is our team.

For once, we're not going to see a Bulldog team peaking early.

IMO, that is good news.

:)

jim77
11-23-2007, 04:42 PM
A win is a win.

We lost Pargo early...we have a lot of youth...the refs were whistle happy to both teams...and WKU is a darn good team. Coutney lee has got to be one of the best slashers to the hoop, in the country. The guy looked like he could score at will....he also had to sit because of fouls. It wasn't just Coutney either,WKU is as quick as it gets...I'm just glad the guys hung tough and found a way to win. Gutsy win.

TheBunnieRancher
11-23-2007, 04:46 PM
I have been faithfully watching games like these slip away all to frequently the last couple of years and remarked to my wife late in the second half that the game had that kind of feel to it. Then I watched the team pick up its level of determination and gut out a victory against a team that clearly wasn't backing down. We have a long way to go as a team before I will feel comfortable about our chances against quality opponents, but I'll tell you I believe them when say their goal this year is the final four and a run at the national championship. I think they just might be gutsy enough to surprise us all.

abeanzag
11-23-2007, 04:52 PM
A great win. Didn't get into a flow, but in clutch time they sucked it up and executed well down the stretch. Great cuts got open looks and hit the free throws.

I also think that WKU will elicit some "ugly" moments. They are scrappy and quick. And although not as solid as in previous games, the defense played solid. Remember the outrageous numbers of open looks the team gave up last year?