PDA

View Full Version : Pensees...apologies to Pascal and Sacre

jazzdelmar
11-23-2007, 03:55 AM
1. Sacre was superb. Reminds of the young Zach G., u knw, before the Zen-junioritis phase. Right now, Sacre looks to be a better player than Kuso, who hasn't improved at all.

2. Downs is the best all round plyr on the team right now -- scoring, D, bounding, just great hustle.

3. Bouldin still looks about 20 overweight. But man can he pass and cut. Wd have made a great PG for Petey Carril.

4. Pgo still seems to play at the extremes -- wild eyed/street and cool hand Luke. I rather like the latter, but he really needs to find a groove.

5. Barack Daye was a disappointment. Just looks fragile. Talented and well intended but not ready for the brawl that's D1 (hoops or politics).

6. Few's rotation still a puzzler.

7. The D is a lot better.

8. The General slept just fine last night, tyvm.

9. The WKU coach looks like he shld be hosting a reality show (Ryan Seacrest?).

10. Pendo, bless his heart, played lousy for a while but man, he stepped up big time.

11. It's gonna be a long season unless Gray is that good a 3 pt threat. Right now, no one is. Falling behind will be suicide.

applezag
11-23-2007, 07:50 AM
I didn't see last night's game, but am encouraged by what you say about Sacre. I hadn't seen that much skill yet. In the long run, he should have significantly more potential than Gourde with his size and athleticism. Hopefully there will be no "zen-junioritis" phase with him--nice word, by the way.

Your description of Downs is consistent with what I've seen. He seems very willing to play a role that is needed on this team, and not force the issue offensively so that others can. I have to admit, from all I've heard, this surprises me. But I am very encouraged by it. One more thing about him, I have to think that he will be part of the solution to the three-point shooting issue.

Bouldin does look overweight, but I wouldn't say he plays like it. I don't think he's been a liability defensively and he still can put it on the floor and get by people. The thing that I am waiting for with him is for the shot to start falling. I've been waiting for over a year, though, so maybe I should focus on something else.

I kind of expected this with Barack (great call on that one!). But he'll only get better.

I'd be surprised if most coaches have their rotations figured out yet, especially ones who have had the injury issues that GU has had.

sittingon50
11-23-2007, 08:39 AM
I'll disagree on Kuso, Jazz. Didn't show much last night (per reports) but having seen him in 1 exhibition & 3 home games, he is better. Trust me.

Based on that game alone you could say LG isn't very good. He is.

BTW, looking at the box this A.M. it shows Theo got 3 minutes. He wasn't in the box last night. Did he get in?

Reborn
11-23-2007, 08:48 AM
Bouldin was HUGE for the Zags last night. May have played his best game as a Zag. 18 pts. And he handled the point way better than Pargo imo. He had one turnover. That's excellent. A+ for Matt. This kid CAN PASS, MAN.:) And he's showing he's pretty hard to stop down low. Great coaching job by Few on how to use Matt.

CDC84
11-23-2007, 08:49 AM
Theo saw a few minutes in the 1st half.

I mentioned this in another post, but as much as Daye struggled last night, he still scored 10 points, went 4-8 from the floor, had 2 nice blocks and a steal. He had the kind of game that will teach him some valuable lessons, but won't destroy his confidence.

Zagaholic
11-23-2007, 08:53 AM
Yes. I was at the game and Theo got in for a few minutes in the first half. I kept thinking, who is #34 on the bench? (because I didn't recognize him) Then a few minutes later he got into the game, and I realized it was Theo! He seems pretty agile for his size, and he played decently while he was out there. I don't know why he didn't play in the second half.

Hopefully he gets some PT tonight.

gonza
11-23-2007, 08:55 AM
Hey Jazz, I don't disagree with the point you were making on your last bullet (11) But you know we were down seven midway through the second and found a way to pull it out against a very good team, not speculation, reality.

Rubbadub
11-23-2007, 09:12 AM
1. Theo didn't seem very dialed in with the offensive gameplan during his limited playing time...Can't really blame him, considering how few games he's played under Few.

2. Bouldin is much better as an off guard than a primary ball handler. Hubert Davis told the truth after Pargo picked up his second foul early, something along the lines of "that is going to significantly hurt the Zags." Pargo is a pressure breaker. He could split right through their pressure and get into the lane whenever he wanted to. When Bouldin brought the ball up court they were much better able to stop the ball from moving into the half court set. Bouldin didn't get any TO's really, but what he WAS forced to do is pass out of the backcourt multiple times to teammates like Austin and Micah who have good handles but cannot facilitate an offense. When Pargo was out of the game the offense was stagnant. Half court offensive sets were not consistently executed. I would much rather have Bouldin take advantage of his half court passing ability from the wing and mismatching smaller guards in the post.

3. Kuso is currently our best big but gets excited easily and causes TO's. He is much improved though and has better hands and basketball iq than last year.

4. Sacre is the future of big man bball at GU. He is going to be huge for us in a year or two when he has had more time to expand his repertoire and gain confidence. The fire is already there. His free throw shooting is much better than your average 18 year old 7' big man.

5. I'm not getting any of the disappointment about Daye. He is the real deal and hit some NBA wing quality jumpers. He is already one of the most vocal and expressive players on the team besides Pargo and maybe Pendo and he clearly wanted this win more than most of the others. He just needs to work on his defense against talented players seeking to draw fouls.

gamagin
11-23-2007, 09:24 AM
just what this team needed. Pressure the whole time. Against a well seasoned, well coached, incredibly quick, confident team.

even the crappy officiating, when overcome, was good experience. You can't blame nor rely on the refs to keep you in the game. You must rely on staying ahead or getting ahead and staying there.

It can be ugly. It was ugly. I wanted to relax. I couldn't.

But Few threw everything but the kitchen sink at WKU and it worked. If we played another game, it would be another set of strategies & perhaps personnel changes, but maybe not. It only mattered during the game, imo.

What we have are a group of mostly-young vets and very young, tremendous, freshman athletes who have spent about two months together trying to perform as one unit. And for as long as it took against WKU, they did just that.

I forget who the coach was but he said game after game that the real goal was to be ahead of the other guy by at least one point when the final buzzer sounded.

everyone makes mistakes but we make a few less and we stay with it for every minute and if all eyes and minds are on the ball, we get the breaks in a close one. Great experience. great team building.

WKU didn't blow their game. We won it. They used up all their plans and still couldn't hold on. The worm turned on them.

Unlikely heroes stepped up. Pendo took charge when it was needed. Spreading out suddenly turned WKU into wooden legged defenders, confused and out of psynch.

It was great. I'm not sure we even reached the bottom of our kitbag of possibilities with this bunch and this coach. But we kept coming, adjusting and it worked out.

I'd much rather this team figure out how to win than to wonder and worry about which player needs to go or stay. We need them all. clearly.

And this team needs to stay together and keep on working on their strengths. and weaknesses, of course. but mostly strengths.

For there are many and managing the insanity that occurs in a close one just may be one of the most important of their test of wills and skills we witnessed against WKU, a really, really good, exciting team.

former1dog
11-23-2007, 01:10 PM
Jazz,

Not much to disagree with in your post, except your comments regarding Daye.

I do think he reacted positively in the 2nd half to an obvious strategy and I'm guessing he'll be expecting it form here on out. He can't necessarily get much physically stronger this season, but mentally he can react. If his 2nd half is any indication where he picked his spots offensively and played strong D are any indicaton of his mental fortitude, I think he's going to be OK.

Daye is definitely a gamer.

jazzdelmar
11-23-2007, 01:40 PM
i think hes a gamer too...i just wntd to run the barack comparison up the flagpole and see who voted for it...lol

former1dog
11-23-2007, 01:43 PM
i think hes a gamer too...i just wntd to run the barack comparison up the flagpole and see who voted for it...lol

:D Now, I get it. (slaps forehead) Lightweight indeed, but I'll leave the politics for the OCC forum.

former1dog
11-23-2007, 01:44 PM
BTW - Jazz, I think Micah is going to come around in regards to being a 3 pt threat. We'll see, though, won't we.

jazzdelmar
11-23-2007, 01:47 PM
f1---is there tv or radio t'nite??? confused

former1dog
11-23-2007, 01:50 PM
Jazz,

In the other thread, someone posted this link as to get around the isp restrictions for ESPN 360. If you have a broadband internet connection, click on it now and see if you are watching a game within a few seconds. That's what happened for me.

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/espn360/index

If not, the www.gozags.com website will have a link for radio and gametracker.

zag67
11-23-2007, 01:53 PM
Rubbadub,

I agree with most of what you say, except about Matt. In most cases the best way to break a press is through the pass. If they have a double or triple team on you and you can move it up the court to an open man, then you have the numbers to attack the basket. Trying to split the defenders against teams like Memphis, could be brutal. They are so quick and long armed, that turnovers occur during those traps.

I do agree that at this time Matt is a better 2 than a point at this time. But part of that is also because when you have both Jeremy and Matt on the floor, you have 2 different types of point guards on the floor. Jeremy drives, Matt does post ups, and you have all of them passing the ball well

Also if you remember when they trapped Micah out front, even at his height it is hard to find the open person and not get a 5 second call.