PDA

View Full Version : ----GUnit of the Game---- (Western Kent.)

gozagswoohoo
11-22-2007, 09:58 PM
Jeez....nasty games like this HAVE to take weeks off of my lifetime. We looked ridiculously sluggish in the first half, and somewhere between last season and now, we forgot how to shoot free throws. But as I have said before, a dubsadub.

My GUnit is SACRE. Yes, he only had 8 points, but he was 2-3 from the field and grabbed some big boards. One in particular that sealed the game...that was HUGE. I'll be honest, Sacre is quickly becoming one of my favorite zags. IMO, he was one of a just a couple of our zags that really played with intensity every second he was on the floor. That rebound and put-back he had was in the middle of atleast three WKU players, and took alot of strength.

Honorable mention to Bouldin, he really played strong tonight. He struggled early from the charity stripe, but pulled it together late in the game. He also played with more intensity than some other guys.

Oh...and Pargo's yammo was YAMTASTIC! Holy crap, I think I GAINED a couple months of life-time when he did that...

sanfranzagsguy20
11-22-2007, 10:00 PM
i'll go with pendo

clutch buckets and senior leadership

we REALLY needed that tonight

kitzbuel
11-22-2007, 10:00 PM
Sacre stepped up when he had to. Kuso and Daye fouled out, so it was up to him to seal the win and he did it. Nice performance under pressure.

ZagNative
11-22-2007, 10:03 PM
Sacre! Can't wait to follow his development this year.

BroncoZAG615
11-22-2007, 10:04 PM
Bouldin was exceptional. Had the hardest job of the night in taking PG responsibilities from Pargo and kept the game close when nothing was going right. Free throws were off but he started off the game hot on defense with a couple steals and is so strong on the court.

Honorable mention to Micah. He is developing into a special all around player. Big three and free throws. Good defense and always seems to be around the ball rebounding.

Birddog
11-22-2007, 10:05 PM
Sacre BLEU, for the putback and for playing very well tonight, but the GUnit is Downs.

Birddog

Nevtelen
11-22-2007, 10:06 PM
Well, I'll say Bouldin for the way he held the team together in the first half after Pargo went out and for being the leading scorer in a group of guys that have apparently forgotten how to shoot.

Sacre is a very close second and my gut might be trying to tell me that I should give him the nod - that offensive rebound in a crowded lane and shot to ice the game were absolute cash money. Wow. He's still finding his way around as a D-I player, but he is an absolute rock down low.

ZagNative
11-22-2007, 10:06 PM
Bouldin was exceptional. Had the hardest job of the night in taking PG responsibilities from Pargo and kept the game close when nothing was going right. Free throws were off but he started off the game hot on defense with a couple steals and is so strong on the court.

Honorable mention to Micah. He is developing into a special all around player. Big three and free throws. Good defense and always seems to be around the ball rebounding.

That's what I meant to say ...:(

MedZag
11-22-2007, 10:07 PM
Downs. When he hit em, he hit em when they were BIG shots in the game.

ZagMan in Philly
11-22-2007, 10:08 PM
Sacre for me tonight. BIG put back and he played with lots of intensity.

Do a slow mo on Pargo's dunk....his head was liked near the rim...WOW.

MickMick
11-22-2007, 10:09 PM
I have to go with Matt Bouldin. He had to shoulder the brunt of the offensive load with Pargo out. In the first half he was our best offensive player.

We speculated all summer about Pargo and foul trouble. We speculated about an injury at the point (in this case Gray). Seems that our worst fears were coming true. Bouldin did just enough against a good team to get us over the hump.

I also have to express kudos to Jeremy Pargo. I thought he played very well in this game. I was reminded of the old axiom; "You don't realize how much you miss something until it is gone."

theothegreat21
11-22-2007, 10:12 PM
I thought Sacre and Bouldn were both fantastic, but I would have to go with Micah. His play on the defensive end and rebounding was the key to the game. I never thought I would watch Micah bang down low for key offensive rebounds or pick the best offensive player on the other team, but tonight he did both. Also he seemed to have rediscovered his shooting touch in the game today which was so nice to see.

treehorn
11-22-2007, 10:21 PM
Pendergraft, with a clutch 3 and crucial work under the boards at the end.

Matt Bouldin, God love him, can't ever go 54% from the free throw line again.

GonzagaLove
11-22-2007, 10:26 PM
Micah.

ZagMania
11-22-2007, 10:29 PM
Downs for me, he shot well, 5-8 fg, and had a huge offensive rebound at the end of the game and then stepped up and drilled the free throws. I wish he would be as assertive as he was last year on offense, but with all the weapons I think he's trying to find his place still.

Honorable mention to Bouldin, who turned it over only twice and made some nice passes which goes without saying. The leading scorer and if he made his free throws in the first half he would be the GUNIT for sure, but he made them all in the second. After Bouldin did so well at the point it made me wonder why we don't use him at the point more. Sure, he wore down after handling the pressure for most of the first half because he was our only option there, but I think he does a better job keeping the turnovers low and has better vision. Pargo can still be the main when it comes to isolating and taking it to the hoop but I don't see why he can't do that from the 2 spot.

HillBillyZag
11-22-2007, 10:42 PM
I would have to give the edge to Matt & Micah for player of the game, but Sacre & Pendo made several key plays. Pendo had 8 pts , 7 boards (leader), and three assists, all at time when they were badly needed. I told you he would be in there and come through when the chips were down. AD had some key plays and played well for a freshman,they called a couple of ticky tack fouls on him from the way it sounded. It was a TEAM win as usual although I think the tendency to try and go one on one and take guys off the dribble too often nearly got us in trouble. But when they got back into the offense and stayed with the game plan it lead to the win. This was a good win win over a good team.

MDABE80
11-22-2007, 10:45 PM
Pendo...actually he had 8 pts and 9 boards. All big efforts. PLUS he was getting his usual floorburns. Tonight, lots of the guys made a difference which is reflected by the diversity of opinions above. For me though, Pendo was the one.

Rubbadub
11-22-2007, 10:55 PM
Gonna have to go with Bouldin and Pargo

Air Force Zag
11-22-2007, 10:57 PM
Has to be Micah for me too. While he did fade to the background for stretches in the game, when we needed a shot or a rebound, he was on target. Always felt like his shots were always at more critical points.

Would have been Bouldin if he had a better FT%. With those free throws, would not have been the close ending (everything else the same, we would have beaten WKU by double figures). Pargo was on fire at the beginning...but really didn't reassert himself again until midway through second half. Sacre was strong tonight - solid. Not a bad night for Austin, either...WKU played him very physically, but he was able to be effective at times. I too (like the S-R blog noted) had difficulty figuring out what position he was really playing...saw him bring the ball up a little...and saw him serve as our center at times, I think. Pendo was rough for much of the game...but his game smarts and toughness were key down the stretch.

Very balanced team (seems like we even struggled in a even way)...will be difficult to pick clear GUnits in many games this year.

Zagguy
11-22-2007, 11:03 PM
the team! Granted, there is some growth to go - but from reading the above (and watching the games myself) there seems to be a bunch of "players of the game." Something we haven't seen in a while - there usually is a consensus player of the game in the last few seasons. Just one. Now, we seem to have many players who can be considered - and the season has only begun. I'm feeling 1999.

Scotto
11-22-2007, 11:29 PM
i'll go with pendo

clutch buckets and senior leadership

we REALLY needed that tonight

I agree, Pendo was clutch in the stretch. Robbie did well also.

Nevtelen
11-22-2007, 11:46 PM
Robbie did well also.

As heralded (and truly fantastic) as Daye has been, that rebound and really tough fadeaway jumper in heavy traffic by Sacre with :22 left was probably the single biggest play by a freshman for GU this year. I think in games like this - real physical battles - Sacre will shine. Now that he's seemingly feeling a little more comfortable in the offense, his physical skills will really help him become effective.

Ziggy
11-23-2007, 12:51 AM
My vote goes to Pendo! A bucket and a board away from a dbl/dbl,Helped them catch WKU. Yep, David Pendergraft belongs right where he is in the heart of the Zag lineup!

Psychozag
11-23-2007, 01:11 AM
Pargo...when we were down 7 with about 7 min to go he took control of the game for 2 min to get it tied up with a couple of buckets and a dish. He showed why he has the ability to be one of the best point guards in the country. He is tough as nails. If he could hit the three with consistancy, I don't see how he could not be a top 10 pick for the NBA.

Akzag
11-23-2007, 02:46 AM
Pargo is my last choice in this department. Not because he was "worst", but because I expect more out of him.

Seeing it in person, it's tough ... But I'm going with Bouldin. He had to rank out the best on Krause's scale tonight. He had his hands on everyting tonight, especially the first half. Deflected passes, making the cuts, posting up ....

Second and third is a three way tie - Daye, Sacre, and Micah. Austin did a lot of stuff that he should never be asked to do. Micah played great d, and while not asserting himself on offense, he was there banging. Again, something he should not have to do. Sacre was a stud. Someone asked in the gamethread, what his dunks looked like - no non-sense, Kuso-esque, if you like. Two hand, that's as far as I need to go jams.

Zag79
11-23-2007, 05:48 PM
micah downs. he hit big shots in tight moments. big ups to sacre too! he played much better and you could tell he was much more confident in his role.