PDA

View Full Version : Ucla

CDC84
11-20-2007, 09:05 PM
I had written them off for tonight, but I just found out that the Bruins made a comeback and beat Michigan State in an ugly, physical game that was nowhere near as entertaining as that Oregon/SMC game.

Can the NCAA committee please put UCLA in another bracket other than Gonzaga's bracket this coming up March? I mean, they're doing this without their NBA lottery pick starting PG and their best outside shooter. That team is just so brutal to play.

What's funny is if you compare UCLA's current roster with Gonzaga's current roster, and measure how highly rated their players were coming out of high school, Gonzaga wins. The only guy on that Bruin team who was a monster recruit coming out of high school is Kevin Love. Gonzaga has 8 guys that were top 60 players with one service or another coming out of high school. Collison, Westbrook, Aboya, Mbah a Moute, Roll, etc.....all ranked from 70 on up with Rivals. Howland and his staff just do an excellent job of finding players to fit his system. Sometimes it's Burger Boys, sometimes not.

SteeleMan
11-20-2007, 09:23 PM
"Can the NCAA committee please put UCLA in another bracket other than Gonzaga's bracket this coming up March?"

Ahmen to that!

LAZAGFAN11
11-20-2007, 09:43 PM
I don't know how many times a team can come back from behind in the last 30 seconds of a game, without ever leading before, and win it.

One of these days it's gonna bite them in the a** . . .

CDC84
11-20-2007, 10:21 PM
Amazing stats in this game.

MSU shot 52% from the floor compared to UCLA's 40%.

The difference was that UCLA shot 16 more free throws than MSU. It didn't matter that the Bruins only made 61% of those shots. The only way you can make up for bad free throw shooting is through shooting twice as many free throws (if not more) than your opponents. The UConn team that won the national title with Okafor/Gordon was a classic example of this.

MSU didn't help itself by coughing up 6 more TO's than UCLA, as well as being outrebounded by 7.

ZagMan in Philly
11-21-2007, 04:31 AM
If basketball games were beauty contests, UCLA will never win! :lmao:

jazzdelmar
11-21-2007, 05:05 AM
Ugly is Howland's style....His Pitt teams were tough on the eyes as well...I guess results count more, even in Hollywood. But I imagine some UGLA fans wd like to see more Harrick style play......The Old Fart, Wooden, wasn't that glam either...

Butler Guy
11-21-2007, 05:44 AM
Ugly is Howland's style....

Basketball was nearly terminally damaged by NBA basketball in the '80s, especially the movement that the Nuggets pioneered that essentially banned the use of defense. All of the sudden NCAA teams starting picking up on the "run-and-gun" style and fundamental basketball nearly went extinct. Enter Ben Howland. Ben Howland is like the anti-Doug Moe. Howland is a champion for a fundamentalist sect, Order of Naismeth, Church of Hoops. Hooray Howland!! Keep punching opponents in the mouth, and bring basketball back.

ZaggyStardust
11-21-2007, 07:38 AM
Basketball was nearly terminally damaged by NBA basketball in the '80s, especially the movement that the Nuggets pioneered that essentially banned the use of defense. All of the sudden NCAA teams starting picking up on the "run-and-gun" style and fundamental basketball nearly went extinct. Enter Ben Howland. Ben Howland is like the anti-Doug Moe. Howland is a champion for a fundamentalist sect, Order of Naismeth, Church of Hoops. Hooray Howland!! Keep punching opponents in the mouth, and bring basketball back.
\

And I think Howland's Style as well as Butler's (sorry) is like watching paint dry... At least Tony B found a good balance between O & D! I believe we will this year, as well.

Rubbadub
11-21-2007, 07:46 AM
LOVE. He's a big friggin' dude. He's definitely a presence in the post. But he's super slow -- looks like a sloth -- lumbering down the court in transition. Sorry, Love fans, but I wasn't impressed. It seemed like he couldn't make a basket in the first half (neither could the rest of UCLA). But he did his job in the post. he's The majority of his points seemed to come from free-throws, which really good at. I think he was fouled at least 10 times (because the two people who were guarding him both fouled out), but I didn't look at game stats to verify.

Good description. Most of his points come off of assistance from the refs (several bad calls on the big redhead on State).

Butler Guy
11-21-2007, 07:49 AM
And I think Howland's Style as well as Butler's (sorry) is like watching paint dry

I wouldn't presuppose that left coasters would have refined round ball tastes. :) I also have a strong contempt for piped in music/noises at college basketball games, acoustic bands are the only thing musical or non-ambient that belongs at an NCAA event.

CDC84
11-21-2007, 07:49 AM
To be honest, UCLA will be more interesting to watch on offense once Collison and Roll come back. Westbrook played a fine game last night, but UCLA's offense isn't going to be that brilliant until Collison and Roll - who will probably benefit from Love's passing ability more than anyone else on the team - are back in the lineup.

ZaggyStardust
11-21-2007, 07:54 AM
I wouldn't presuppose that left coasters would have refined round ball tastes..

Just what I love - a "basketball elitist" Now I've seen it all!!!!!!!

Butler Guy
11-21-2007, 07:57 AM
I'd like to introduce you to a new concept in prose called sarcasm, it's really cutting-edge only the newest writers are using it.

Rubbadub
11-21-2007, 08:04 AM
Just what I love - a "basketball elitist" Now I've seen it all!!!!!!!

I watch my basketball with a nice bottle of chardonnay always at hand. My pregame ritual includes grilling a bit of halibut with pinot grigio butter sauce, ironing my initial stitched robe and cleaning my eyepiece--all while listening to some Bach (I'm very picky though, some of his works are far too harsh).

Butler Guy
11-21-2007, 08:09 AM
up to Vivaldi, it really would improve your experience.

FuManShoes
11-21-2007, 08:40 AM
Love made some nice passes, dominated the middle (except when MSU's benchwarming big started a block party prior to fouling out). There was a bullet from the top of the key and an alley-oop lob from his hip that caught everyone by surprise. I agree the guy kind of lumbers around and only seems to have a right handed layup, but he is a solid college big who will inflict a lot of damage down there, and maybe he'll bust a three on someone every once in a while. In a way, he's a lot like JP, except Love gets much more love from the talking heads. While I'm a bit taken aback at all the attention Love gets for having played all of three college games, he's also a throwback player, a winner, and he makes me appreciate what we had in JP all the more.

PS - I'd like to see the Zags use a bit of the Bruins' double teaming strategy. They constantly had Love or Matta-Real jump out top and help trap shakey PGs. Westbrook and Shipp (dude, trim the fat and maybe you'd be an NBA prospect) always had a hand on the ball, and it led to so many damn turnovers by MSU. That was the difference, if you ask me. Of course UCLA was gonna get to the line. MSU sent in wave after wave of big to hack Love, but they couldn't hold their lead when they started handing the ball over to UCLA for fast break points.

BobZag
11-21-2007, 09:33 AM
Went to the game last night. It WAS ugly. But I wasn't cheering for UCLA, so I could get past some of the ugliness, aside from some bad calls. Earlier in the week, a few of you had asked for my insight, so here goes:

1. THE SPRINT CENTER is really nice. Very industrial in its architecture. It's a roomy atmosphere -- I didn't feel like I was crowded at any time. No long lines for beer, and they had Boulevard on tap. The seats are cushioned & very comfy. And the views of the floor seemed to be great from every vantage point. We were in the upper deck & still felt like I could see the game with no problem.

2. LOVE. He's a big friggin' dude. He's definitely a presence in the post. But he's super slow -- looks like a sloth -- lumbering down the court in transition. Sorry, Love fans, but I wasn't impressed. It seemed like he couldn't make a basket in the first half (neither could the rest of UCLA). But he did his job in the post. The majority of his points seemed to come from free-throws, which he's really good at. I think he was fouled at least 10 times (because the two people who were guarding him both fouled out), but I didn't look at game stats to verify.

3. UCLA overall -- not a top 1 team at this time. When they have the full roster back, it may be a different story.

4. Michigan St -- they played pretty well, but fell apart towards the end of the game. Drew N supposedly had the flew, but he did well regardless.

Hmm...can't think of anything else. Questions? Ask away.

Thanks, mee755. How'd Michigan State fans and players react after this loss that was eerily similar to Gonzaga's loss two years ago? Were they ticked, crushed, stunned...? And talent-wise, how'd they compare to GU and what do you think separates them from us?

deathchina
11-21-2007, 09:45 AM
Vivaldi? Bach? Classical music? Now we're talking my language!

BobZag
11-21-2007, 10:08 AM
You know, Michigan State hung with UCLA pretty well, and totally dominated the first half, but fell apart in the second half. It seems the Zags struggle through the first half & come on strong the second half. I think that Michigan would be a definite challenge to the Zags. There weren't a ton of fans there, and they didn't seem all that crushed, stunned, or ticked. There were some disappointing calls, but the crowd never got worked-up. I think most of the people there were like us -- just locals looking to watch a good game.

Michigan St. plays a fast-paced game, similar to what GU does. They seemed to have a lot of problems with their 3-point shots. I definitely think they could have won had they made those. (Saw the same with Maryland against Mizzou.) Michigan St. also got into foul trouble early, and players were fouling out with 5 minutes left.

UCLA is good on the defensive end. Some of those boys can really move their arms/legs around (reminded me of some African tribal dancers -- can I say that in this P.C. world?), and their full-court press and double teaming shut down some of Michigan St.'s offense. They'd get trapped with no-where to go & end up turning over the ball.

Of the two teams, UCLA definitely seemed more relaxed & confident. It was a sloppy game, though. People flying everywhere, balls passed/thrown out or passed to opposing team -- happened to both teams.

Did I answer your question, BZ?

Yup. Gracias.

drnoe
11-21-2007, 10:50 AM
UCLA is good on the defensive end. Some of those boys can really move their arms/legs around (reminded me of some African tribal dancers -- can I say that in this P.C. world?), and their full-court press and double teaming shut down some of Michigan St.'s offense. They'd get trapped with no-where to go & end up turning over the ball.

That about sums it up. If you're not a UCLA fan, it's very frustrating, because they really play a frenetic/smothering style of defense. Very few teams double-team as well as they do. While Mata is a complete stiff on offense, he really provides some defensive punch and hustle coming off the bench.

lothar98zag
11-21-2007, 11:51 AM
mee755,

what % of the game was Howland standing inbounds?

lothar98zag
11-21-2007, 12:36 PM
I was shocked! All of the coaches stayed in their designated boxes. They'd push the white line, but never crossed it. And I never saw Howland inbounds. The coaches seemed to take the new enforcement very seriously.
:eek:

One of his assistants must have bought an invisible fence dog collar for him!

I'm used to seeing him on the court 75% of the time - sometimes almost as a 6th defender...

USMC69
11-21-2007, 01:40 PM
Why all this talk about UCLA, Jim Bob says that stands for Upper Corner of Lower Alabama. And as for Classical Music, I'll take John Phillip Sousa any day. Nothing like the Washington Post march.
ya'all have a great turkey day.

dim4sum
11-21-2007, 02:07 PM
I think our postup committee of Fokusa (Foster. Kuso, Sacre) could make life hard for Love, possibly getting him into foul trouble. All three are quicker than Love. Fifteen fouls to give. Then bring on Davis to finish him off. Beyond Love there is nothing in the middle with the exception of Mata, who isn't a scoring threat. Of course, the Bruins have a lot of interchangeable pieces, many slick, quick forwards (plus Callison), enough to make you think that maybe the post game is overrated anyway. Yes, Michigan State's breakdown was, indeed, eerily reminiscent of the 60-seconds that will live in infamy among Zag fans.